PDA

View Full Version : People's conceptions of oiling

Tangles
December 17th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I just went home for the holiday (grad school breaks are awesomely long) and started chatting to my sister and mom about my current hair care regimen -- explaining no cones and so on. I then talked about how I put oil in my hair, and they freaked out -- "EEWWW!" For some reason, there is some sort of stigma about putting oil in your hair or even on your face, even though it's present in so many products in one form or another. I explained that I used it only on areas where my hair was dry, namely the ends, and that I used jojoba, not frying oil, but they were still really skeptical.

I think it's interesting how something as natural and simple as oil is viewed as gross, while things like cones, which are basically wax, are used with abandon. Or have I just been on LHC too long?

CaityBear
December 17th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I've actually never had anybody have that kind of reaction to putting oil in my hair. They are usually like "Oh, really? How does that work?" or something like that. lol They always seem kind of interested...now if they knew about the random mixtures I put in my hair such as egg, honey, yogurt, oil and that stuff then they would probably look at me weird.

spidermom
December 17th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I have the impression that your family must be a little out of touch because oiling has a very long history. Of course I knew that and I never thought about oiling my own hair without the push from hanging out around here, so it's perfectly understandable. I think most people depend on conditioners and other products to do for them what oiling can do.

arylkin
December 17th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Yeah, most people think that any variation from the norm is crazy... When I told someone I don't use shampoo they thought it was gross... *eyeroll*

Tangles
December 17th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I have the impression that your family must be a little out of touch because oiling has a very long history. Of course I knew that and I never thought about oiling my own hair without the push from hanging out around here, so it's perfectly understandable. I think most people depend on conditioners and other products to do for them what oiling can do.

Actually, my grandma oils as a deep treatment, but my mom still thinks it's backwards or something, haha. Of course, I use conditioners as well as oils, but I find it weird that people trust something with such a long ingredients list over oil. :D

It took me months to convince my mom to grow her hair past shoulder, but she likes it this way now; maybe I'll at least be able to convince her to go cone free (she has fine, very delicate hair which gets buildup really easily; she could benefit).

Arctic_Mama
December 17th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I find people tend to be more curious than anything, but their first mental image is of what they always wash to avoid - greasiness, pieciness, and general non-fluffy, 'dirty' hair. WHen they think oiling they think a slathering of mayo or a hot oil treatment at best, and 'dirty hippy hair' at worst.

Once I point to my hair (which they've usually just complimented) and say that's my secret, I did it this morning, does my hair look like it is dirty or greasy to YOU? They agree that it looks great and ask how I oil. When I explain what a small amount it is, and that it makes my hair soft, protected, and shiny, their opinions (at least outwardly) tend to change. I've even had a few converts!

burns_erin
December 17th, 2008, 05:00 PM
People do get stuck in their ruts and if anything is not done their way, well it just seems somehow...wrong...wrong...and just plain unamerican. My mother still has trouble with the idea of me not washing the length of my hair. I DO ask her if it looks dirty to her, to which she responds "Welll, no, but...but, its just not right"

Chromis
December 17th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I've actually never had anybody have that kind of reaction to putting oil in my hair. They are usually like "Oh, really? How does that work?" or something like that. lol They always seem kind of interested...now if they knew about the random mixtures I put in my hair such as egg, honey, yogurt, oil and that stuff then they would probably look at me weird.

That's exactly the reaction I get as well. I don't volunteer my hair routine unless asked or if someone is complaining about something specific and I am offering a suggestion.

Bene
December 17th, 2008, 05:26 PM
i suppose i was a little wary of oiling, but it's not too different from "greasing" hair, which is how i heard it when i was growing up, being the only non-black girl in school. but what the girls i grew up with used was more like a pomade? it was thicker, almost thicker than vaseline.

i've used hair serum, so it's not that big of a stretch i think.

Dianyla
December 17th, 2008, 05:26 PM
A lot of people are phobic about oil on hair because they're also phobic about oil on their skin. The skincare companies want you to believe that oil is the root of all skin issues like acne, and that you need to use their harsh cleansers and soaps to strip this gross greasy badness off of your skin. :rolleyes:

Sebum, a mixture of oil and wax and esters, is what our bodies evolved to produce for our skin and hair. If you've got issues with this... well, I don't know what to tell you! :shrug:

Dianyla
December 17th, 2008, 05:28 PM
i suppose i was a little wary of oiling, but it's not too different from "greasing" hair, which is how i heard it when i was growing up, being the only non-black girl in school. but what the girls i grew up with used was more like a pomade? it was thicker, almost thicker than vaseline.
Some ethnic hair care products basically are vaseline. Of course, in the pioneer days people just used animal fat like bear grease. :uhh:

galen
December 17th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Ad Below taken from
Cincinnati Daily Jan. 19, 1843

Bear's Oil

HIGHLY SCENTED AND PURE, FOR THE HAIR-

Of all preparations for the hair or whiskers, nothing equals the oil prepared from Bearís Grease. In most instances, it restores the hair to the bald and will effectually preserve it from falling off in any event. It was long noted by such eminent physicians and chemists as the late Sir Humphry Davy and Sir Henry Tallford, that pure Bearís Grease, properly prepared, was the best thing ever discovered for the preservation of the hair, or restoring it when bald. Messrs. A.B.&D. Sands have saved no expense in getting the genuine Bearís Grease from Canada, and elsewhere, and have prepared it in such a manner that the Oil, combined with its high perfume, renders it indispensable for the toilet and dressing room of all.

Prepared and sold by A.B.&D. Sands, New York.
A fresh supply just received by

G.F. Thomas & Co.,

147 Main Street, bet. 3d and 4th sts., opposite Gazette Office. Jan 19

MandaMom2Three
December 17th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Yeah, apparently I'm gross too. What drives me nut is when someone can't stop gushing about how nice my hair is or something and ask how I do it, I answer and tit's like I said I rub poo on my head or something :p suddenly it's gross even though 10 seconds ago they couldn't praise it enough :shrug:

zen_oven
December 17th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I used to be skeptical about using oil. While my reaction wasn't quite as extreme, for a long time I didn't want to use oil on my hair. I thought I'd look like a greaseball, but that changed once I found out you weren't supposed to use enough to make you look greasy. Once I tried it I was hooked.

Heh, if you told me a year ago that I would stop shampooing every day and start putting oil on my hair I would have told you that you were crazy.

Sissy
December 17th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I haven't yet put oil in my hair in the morning before going out. However, I've done overnight oiling. The only one who knows about it is my husband and he's understanding and thinks it's cute that I'm starting to spend all this time on my hair LOL as I never did before.

freznow
December 17th, 2008, 08:01 PM
A lot of people are phobic about oil on hair because they're also phobic about oil on their skin. The skincare companies want you to believe that oil is the root of all skin issues like acne, and that you need to use their harsh cleansers and soaps to strip this gross greasy badness off of your skin. :rolleyes:

Sebum, a mixture of oil and wax and esters, is what our bodies evolved to produce for our skin and hair. If you've got issues with this... well, I don't know what to tell you! :shrug:

I'm constantly having issues with this. All the bottles I see say "Oil free!" and I have NEVER understood what is good about oil free. Never. (Besides in the generic LHC motto of how everyone's hair/skin reacts to everything differently) Stupid skin care companies messing with people...

ChloeDharma
December 17th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Nobody really seems shocked if i mention hair oiling, though unless they know me well the only example they tend to think of is those VO5 hot oils, though a fair few have heard of olive oil as a treatment.
My family certainly don't bat an eyelid at anything i do nowdays.....i think i lost my ability to shock any of them sometime around puberty ;) But one of my sisters has become a total oil convert and now it's her nagging other people to try it :D

Tangles
December 17th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Ad Below taken from
Cincinnati Daily Jan. 19, 1843

Bear's Oil

HIGHLY SCENTED AND PURE, FOR THE HAIR-

Of all preparations for the hair or whiskers, nothing equals the oil prepared from Bearís Grease. In most instances, it restores the hair to the bald and will effectually preserve it from falling off in any event. It was long noted by such eminent physicians and chemists as the late Sir Humphry Davy and Sir Henry Tallford, that pure Bearís Grease, properly prepared, was the best thing ever discovered for the preservation of the hair, or restoring it when bald. Messrs. A.B.&D. Sands have saved no expense in getting the genuine Bearís Grease from Canada, and elsewhere, and have prepared it in such a manner that the Oil, combined with its high perfume, renders it indispensable for the toilet and dressing room of all.

Prepared and sold by A.B.&D. Sands, New York.
A fresh supply just received by

G.F. Thomas & Co.,

147 Main Street, bet. 3d and 4th sts., opposite Gazette Office. Jan 19

Cute! I know oil has been used for a long time...

Peter
December 17th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Yeah, apparently I'm gross too. What drives me nut is when someone can't stop gushing about how nice my hair is or something and ask how I do it, I answer and tit's like I said I rub poo on my head or something :p suddenly it's gross even though 10 seconds ago they couldn't praise it enough :shrug:This made me laugh out loud :D

Masara
December 17th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I had never thought about oiling my hair before I came here, mainly because I thought it wouldn't work on my thin, fine hair. Of course, once I tried it I loved it.
So fired with the enthusiasm of a convertee, I decided to convince my mum that she should try it to. She listened to my ravings with politeness and then went to the bathroom and came out carrying the biggest pot of coconut oil I'd ever seen. She uses it just before her weekly wash while her sister uses olive oil nightly.
One day I'll manage to shock the woman :)

Ryanne
December 17th, 2008, 11:20 PM
When I first read about oiling I was skeptical, but I immediately tried olive oil, and it worked.

Masara - Lol, great story.

lizzyjo
December 17th, 2008, 11:22 PM
I've just started oiling my hair every morning, and I'm very wary about telling people about it. I told my parents the olive oil in my bathroom was for deep treatments, but in reality I use it every day. Most people have negative thoughts about oil being used on their skin or hair. You see so many products that are oil-free or for oily skin. I don't want people to be grossed out about me putting oil in my hair.

Aditi
December 18th, 2008, 12:57 AM
No way i never got such reactions like gross or anything about putting oil in hair. But i do got strange faces :agape: earlier when i said that i don't apply oil in my hair, people would say,"really are you crazy or what?" :dizzy:

sahiba
December 18th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Here, we give lot of importance to oiling and applying oil is one of the reasons you get "good hair". Like Aditi, not applying oil brings strong reactions but applying oil is taken for granted.

LutraLutra
December 18th, 2008, 02:26 AM
It's so true, the mainstream wants everyone to think that oil = dirt.

Oily face? Oil hair? Yuck! That's like being smelly! Wash yourself clean with harsh foaming agents! (and make your body overreact to being washed so it pumps out more oil that makes the problem worse, so you keep buying those chemicals that makes you sqeaky clean etc etc)

And also before I came here I sort of knew that people of colour sometimes used 'oils' on their hair, and I'd seen hair oils in Indian shops, but it never occured to me that white chicks could oil their hair, in fact I thought it would be bad for my fine, fluffy hair. It didn't cross my mind that hair is made of the same thing whatever colour, texture it is. Duh.

venividibxtchy
December 18th, 2008, 04:18 AM
My Husband was a total advocate for CO washes out of sheer necessity for his beautiful curls, so he's very open-minded to things like that.

I usually end up convincing family and friends to try it. My Mom likes shampoo bars even more than I do, and I've gotten her to do a honey-treatment, and use palm oil.

I find male acquaintances are more daring to the idea of oils than ladies, though. I convinced one friend years ago to do an intensive olive oil treatment on his hair that was damaged from dreads, before a big date with his girlfran. I still remember him saying, "It feels like hair again!".

Finoriel
December 18th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Actually I do use frying oil on my hair and skin :wink: olive oil lately :D great stuff.
Normally I do not tell others about my hair/skincare regime, Iīm just not talking often about this stuff irl, but when Iīm asked about it Iīll explain... and get reactions from surprised interest to ewww how gross. The eww how gross-reaction is pretty common.

Guess itīs in the human nature to eye everything unknown very critical and the possibility of using oil-care has somehow disappeared from the public awareness. Possibly because of decades of brainwashing great marketing strategies from the cosmetic industry. :shrug: Everyone who wants to sell something will of course advertise it as great and absolutely necessary and tell you the other product is bad/not working/making everything worse etc. This strategy works because we as buying public want to do something good for us and our body, to look as pretty as possible and something as simple as oil can obviously not be good enough. At least 25 ingredients with exotic names are needed and the product has to be tested in laboratories and designed by someone with a Prof. Dr. Dr. degree. They know what they do and just want our best. And everyone knows that oil makes you look like a grease-ball and develop terrible acne, every commercial says this and they would never tell us factoid things to sell more of their products. :pumpkin:
Economical disaster for cosmetic companies when everyone would limit themselve to just buy essential things and use oils, acidic rinses for conditioning and *gasp* herbs from the own garden for washing.
At least thatīs my favourite theory :wink:

mellie
December 18th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Economical disaster for cosmetic companies when everyone would limit themselve to just buy essential things and use oils, acidic rinses for conditioning and *gasp* herbs from the own garden for washing.

Haha, isn't that the truth!!

Mishka_84
December 18th, 2008, 06:33 AM
I've not had any bad reactions to anything I've tried for my hair... Though I think Mom is skeptical, she's always very polite when I'm going on about this or that treatment. My sis is more open to stuff like oiling, but then, she has gorgeous hair (looks similar to my avatar, lol), and she wants to take care of it.

DH was a bit skeptical when I started using coconut oil, but immediately found another use for it, Lol, coconut oil is great for back massages. I always rub a bit into his hair when I massage him with coconut oil, and he has mentioned that he noticed it was a bit softer :D.

mira-chan
December 18th, 2008, 06:49 AM
I've not had bad reactions to my oiling though I don't talk about it unless the subject comes up. Oiling is not uncommon in Russia but here it depends on who you talk to. I recently was talking to another student and she made a comment of putting oil on hair is a strange treatment, when I made a comment that I use it and listed which oils are good for that she changed her mind on the topic to oiling being not so weird. :D

Kirin
December 18th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I do use oil...... occassionally as the whim or need strikes, but I simply don't tell anyone. I haven't felt a need LOL. I'm sure it wouldn't go over well, my husband buys into it and lets me oil him regularly :).

Even though I've been here for quite some time, I still find not washing the hair (in some fashion) rather..... disturbing. Though I'm not talking about scrubbing your head and length to death with shampoo, I still think washing of some kind is nessesary. Considering all the touching we do of our hair, even to put it up in a bun, run oil through it, fingercomb..... that is bacteria transfer into the hair. Though it works for people, and of course, more power to them, I will never be convinced that not washing at all is in any way hygenic. The idea to me that you may touch a surface someone else has touched who hasn't washed after going to the loo...... then touching your hair.... ew.

Though not washing might be great for the hair itself, I just personally (my opinion only guys lol) think its not safe for the individual.

goodenough
December 18th, 2008, 07:16 AM
I think everyone has been brainwashed by advertising, in varying amounts. I'm open, when asked, because I feel my hair and face speaks for itself. (And I don't care very much what people think.)

Different oils work for different people. I can use olive oil on my face, whereas I'll break out from many commercial lotions. I can sometimes go days and days without washing, other times just two days. I think it's hormonally related. So I go by how my scalp feels.

The cleanliness thing (at least here in the US) is out of control! I can't believe most of my friends scrub their whole bodies with harsh soap. I work at a makeup counter, and I help women with "dry" skin--they want something for the redness--and I finally pull out of them that they use Irish Spring on their face. So then they have to use our oiliest moisturizer--which has all kinds of oils in it. If they just used a gentle cleanser, then they could get away with a light moisturizer.

Our best selling product is a moisturizer which I sell to every other customer. It has oil in it, and these women have used it for years and years. But if I tried to sell them a foundation--the first question is--is it oil free? I don't tell them that the moisturizer they've loved since the seventies has oil in it--they'd probably return it and sue the company:) They think they know everything since they've read a magazine article, not realizing that the magazine depends on money from cosmetic companies. Olive oil companies don't take out ads in Glamour-haha.

heidi w.
December 18th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Many do NOT understand what types of oils are used, how much is used (actually how LITTLE), and associate it with when sebum is too built up -- that clumpy, stringy, filmy quality. They don't even realize that sebum is not "grease" or "oil" even if we describe it that way. Many think this sebum is dirty in that somehow it shouldn't even be there.

As with most things with our bodies, an overwhelmingly majority of the public is very uninformed of the actual workings of our house. (body is where one lives)

HOWEVER, when I explain it I take great care in stating only a very little bit, and associate it with days of yore when men and women did this as a matter of habit. Many may remember that somehow vaguely since they heard of it.

Some of this "ewww" factor may in part be how one goes about explaining it. My sister is an "eww" person. I once put coconut oil (unrefined) on a dry spot her daughter had and my sister almost freaked out because she just didn't understand.

The way I was introduced to oil is that my hair guru took me to the store saying, "I have something to show you." And in the beauty section he pulled down a jar of coconut oil and opened the lid, and put it on his hands and then took up my hands and rubbed it all over my hands. "How does that feel?" I loved it, of course. Then he went on to explain that his people (he was Latino) had been using oil on their hair for centuries and so began the instruction how to include this in my hair care regime. In short, he gave me a tactile experience first, and then explained it. He got my buy-in before telling me the whole of the thing. [eta: uH, YES, we bought the jar!]

heidi w.

heidi w.
December 18th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Of coure, I share with very few people about my hair care. Most are plain uninterested, and I don't have a need to explain it to anyone. I ONLY explain if someone inquires, but if they interrupt me while I'm answering their question, then I stop explaining a thing usually.

If people really want nice hair, they will ask and they will listen completely. It's pretty obvious when someone is that interested.

If I were to get an "eww" response, I just shut up. They're not ready. Switch to other subject.

heidi w.

heidi w.
December 18th, 2008, 08:56 AM
OFF TOPIC
Masara, Love your avatar. I have that card in my collection of long hair imagery!

heidi w.

Elenna
December 18th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I tried old-fashion hair recipes that generally had too much oil for fine hair resulting in greaseball effect. Now, I use coconut oil which doesn't leave an oily residue, and I use an extremely small amount of other oils. That's my big secret.

It's not that we overclean. It's that the cleaning products are so harsh and strip the natural oils that are supposed to moisturize the body or hair. Just try to find soaps and shampoos without sodium laureth sulfate, or sodium lauryl ether sulfate, etc.

CopperHead
December 18th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I am one of those who never wanted to put oil on my face or hair. I now make my own facial serums using very rich carrier oils and selected EOs. I was using a popular brand of skincare, but when I would switch to my serum, my skin looked years younger and very radiant. I now use CV complexion bars, Burt's Bee's toners and my oil serum. My skin has never looked better. :) I now have every scent in Monoi oil that I use on my hair and they are remarkable! Our skin produces oil, so why would it reject it as long as it is pure and natural? I find it unclogs my pores and restores moisture to my hair and skin. I even sent some of my serum to a friend and she really likes it.

I still like my perfumey lotions and bath gels, but I rotate them with CV bath bars. I think simplicity is best.

Tangles
December 18th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Interesting responses. It really is a cultural thing, people view oil as something akin to dirt, to be eradicated from the body with harsh products, rather than balanced out.

I was also surprised to learn how many people don't share details of their hair routines. Of course, I wouldn't volunteer this info to a stranger (who really cares, haha) but I don't want to feel this is something I'd have to keep secret if asked ;)

Nat242
December 18th, 2008, 06:00 PM
One of my sisters asked for advice about her hair, and I suggested coconut oil, and mentioned how I use it and what the results had been. Her reply, "But won't that make my hair all oily?"

I simply said, "Not if you use a small amount. Does mine look 'oily'?"

boomygrrl
December 18th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I've always thought it was exotic...something done in the middle east or far east of the world (which to me was exotic when I was younger...LOL). I tried oiling but it didn't work for me.
However, at one time I had a shampoo and conditioner (Regis Olive Oil) that has olive oil in it. My husband thought that was weird. He likes to cook and uses olive oil a lot. He was like "ewww, they put olive oil in this. That's nasty." I told him it has conditioning qualities and it isn't a lot in there. He just rolled his eyes like "whatever."

flapjack
December 18th, 2008, 08:55 PM
The few times this has come up and I've mentioned that I oil my hair, people either think it's interesting or that I'm high maintenance. I roll my eyes at the latter.

Buddaphlyy
December 18th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I rarely talk about my hair and I hardly use oil, but no one has ever balked at the notion of using oil to care for the hair. Most people want to know what I use and this is where I get strange looks because they wonder why I use "expensive" oils when I can get some imitation stuff cheaper.

Emichiee
December 18th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I explained that I used it only on areas where my hair was dry, namely the ends, and that I used jojoba, not frying oil, but they were still really skeptical.

I think it's interesting how something as natural and simple as oil is viewed as gross, while things like cones, which are basically wax, are used with abandon. Or have I just been on LHC too long?

You could even use frying oil, corn oil its all just oil.

Oil is associated with grease, associated with dirty...it is too much in our heads that we need to scrub the greasy frying pan as much as our heads and face to be oil free and beautiful..:rolleyes: