PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma

ladora
December 17th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Hey all! I believe this is my first post here. :)

I need some opinions, because i'm a terrible decision maker when it comes to cutting my hair.

Just a bit of history: I just had a hair cut last weekend. My original hair length was at my waist, and i really really loved my hair at that length. But the problem was that the ends were really bad; they were thin, drying out, fairy knots all over... well, that was because i hadn't or rather, couldn't bring myself to trim my hair for the past... half a year or so (terrible, i know!).

My hair is now at mid-back, and when i went in for my cut i told her i didn't want it to be too layered cos it's really hard to do up your hair when the layers are so short. (although i know layers can look quite sexy with the messy look).

So she did end up layering just a teeny weeny bit, but the problem is that now i find the layers are still a bit too long. My hair appears too "one length". I need layers in my hair to give it volume, otherwise my head would look very "flat" and "plain".

Plus, with my hair at this "one length", whenever i tie my hair up into a ponytail it's really heavy so it "sags" and it pulls at my scalp, especially at the top of my head. The only solution that i can see is to have her layer it a bit more.

My current hair now (excuse the frizzy hair):

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/rabbititus/DSC00756crop.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/rabbititus/DSC007540crop.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/rabbititus/DSC00755crop.jpg

If you were me, what would you do? Layer it a bit more? Or just stick with it now?

DragonLady
December 17th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Keep it!!! It's beautiful. :)

MandaMom2Three
December 17th, 2008, 01:26 PM
WOW! I think your hair is BEAUTIFUL!!!

kam984420
December 17th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I agree with DragonLady. Keep It.

strwbrry dakri
December 17th, 2008, 01:28 PM
What would be your problem here? I see beautiful, shiny hair.

Johanna64
December 17th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Your hair looks great!!
I love the color and it's so shiny :crush:

spidermom
December 17th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I agree; it's beautiful. I can see that it's layered; it doesn't look "too one length" to me. However, my satisfaction won't help you. You are the one who needs to be happy with your hair. If you're not, don't be afraid to change it. Do remember - more layers will make it more difficult to do your hair up.

lizzyjo
December 17th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Have you considered these things?

How often do you wear your hair up? Layers will stick out if you wear your hair in a bun or a braid.

Is your hair thick or thin? If you have thick hair, you have more to work with.

You could layer it just a little more and see if you like it rather than cutting a lot off and realizing you dislike it.

wintersun99
December 17th, 2008, 01:38 PM
It doesn't look "flat" to me, I think it's gorgeous

Leabhar
December 17th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Looks fine to me, keep it as is if the ends are healthy.

Ryanne
December 17th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I agree, it's beautiful and shiny!

Darkhorse1
December 17th, 2008, 01:41 PM
You have gorgeous hair! Wow!
Are you wanting more layers at the sides? I see soft layering. What I'd do is perhaps go back to her and discuss with her what you see, and hopefully they can explain. A good hair dresser will do this.

Good luck and welcome to the board! :)

ladora
December 17th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Thank you for the compliments! The hair color thing... lol it was a bit of a botched job actually (the color is a lot more obvious on the top of my head as compared to the rest of my hair), because the guy who did it was relatively new and a trainee, so i was his "guinea pig" in some ways...

Have you considered these things?

How often do you wear your hair up? Layers will stick out if you wear your hair in a bun or a braid.

Is your hair thick or thin? If you have thick hair, you have more to work with.

You could layer it just a little more and see if you like it rather than cutting a lot off and realizing you dislike it.

I've gone down the layered path before... made a mistake of layering it too much in the past so now i have layer-phobia to a certain extent (i know it sounds ridiculous lol).

I think i'll get it slightly layered a bit more tomorrow, but thank you all for your input. : D

backtolonghair
December 17th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I think it LOOKS GREAT!:) I'm not sure I would do more cutting... you might get more chopped off than you bargained for and not like it...
Blessings

HairColoredHair
December 17th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I've gone down the layered path before... made a mistake of layering it too much in the past so now i have layer-phobia to a certain extent (i know it sounds ridiculous lol).

Ridiculous? Heck no! I have a full-blown layer phobia... my hair will NEVER be layered again. NEVERRRRRR!!!!

jojo
December 22nd, 2008, 05:11 PM
I dont see flat hair, i see beautiful thick hair keep it!

Silver & Gold
December 22nd, 2008, 05:40 PM
I have to say that it looks absolutely gorgeous to me. I would leave it alone if it were mine. In fact . . . I'll trade ya my short, growing-out bangs and layers for your locks if you are bored with them. Just let me know, I'm here nearly every day. :silly:

Cantabile
December 22nd, 2008, 05:47 PM
Just leave it as it is. I found that whenever I layered my hair, over the long-run, the layers would be the first to dry out and get that weird damaged-feel to them. I suspect it may have something to do with the fact that they were razored, and the hairs were cut at angles. :shrugs:
Your hair looks lovely. :flowers:

neon-dream
December 22nd, 2008, 05:51 PM
What would be your problem here? I see beautiful, shiny hair.

I agree, I'm attempting to grow out my layers to achieve more beautiful hair, pretty much the way I see yours. :)
It's your decision, if you're not happy get more in, but I think it's stunning.

Dolly
December 22nd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Your hair is really beautiful....and very healthy-looking. As far as layering goes, do what suits YOU. Nobody here has to deal with your hair on a daily basis.....you do.

As for me, I layered the sides of mine after keeping it all one length for a couple of years, and I couldn't be happier. But then again, I don't wear my hair up very often.....if I did, I may not have layered, because it CAN BE a hindrance in that situation. Do what suits you and your lifestyle and goals best.....THEN you'll be happier with it.

Oh, and welcome!!

YogaGirl59
December 22nd, 2008, 08:21 PM
I think it looks gorgeous. You said you got it cut just last week. Around here we have a two-week rule on cutting, so maybe you would want to live with it for a little while before making any more changes.

I am trying to grow out layers right now because they tend to make my ends look stringy. I would not recommend heavy layering.

jeno
December 22nd, 2008, 11:08 PM
Your hair is really beautiful! Maybe you can go for faceframing layers if you think your hair looks to much one length? You don't see the back of your hair like in the picture so maybe that's why you think it looks plain.
Ponytails are sometimes hurtful. Can you frenchbraid? Or first make a half-up and then a pony?

Aditi
December 22nd, 2008, 11:39 PM
I don't see any sort of dilemma over here. Your looks great keep it that way.

sahiba
December 23rd, 2008, 12:26 AM
Your hair looks so shiningly beautiful .If they were mine I wouldn't touch them at all.

LutraLutra
December 23rd, 2008, 04:12 AM
Your hair looks great just as it is. :)

RavennaNight
December 23rd, 2008, 05:41 AM
:confused: Frizzy? Where? Did you write frizzy? I really don't see frizzy or anything problematic at all! Your hair is really beautiful! Enjoy it! :)

ladora
December 23rd, 2008, 06:00 AM
:) thanks guys for the compliments!

Well, as it goes, i went back to the hairdresser and explained to her in detail what my "problem" was.

We trashed everything out, and eventually she got to the root of my problem. Basically, she cut the longer layers in the hair around my face shorter, and now to me it looks perfect. It was nothing drastic, and she understood exactly what i wanted. Thank god for patient hairdressers!

ladora
December 23rd, 2008, 06:04 AM
Sorry for the double post, but i just can't seem to find the edit button!

Anyways, i think what my main issue was that when i looked at myself in the mirror i didn't like how the long layers made my face look... weird. It wasn't an issue with the layers in the hair at the back of my head (as i originally thought).

Periwinkle
December 23rd, 2008, 06:56 AM
Your hair is gorgeous!

You obviously want it layered, though (which I find really hard to comprehend as I have layers and I #&^*%^$% hate them, but each to their own :flower:), so I would go for it. It's your hair, after all, and you should do whatever you like with it.

Radulfr
December 23rd, 2008, 07:56 AM
Your hair is great just as it is!

Get rid of your scissors and keep that hair! :agree: