PDA

View Full Version : Who else has benefited from your LHC membership?

Samikha
December 17th, 2008, 12:48 PM
What the title says. I think most of us can safely say that we have benefited hair-wise (and in many other ways:flower:) from the LHC. But has it helped anyone else you know? Have you offered hair advice to someone who needed it and had it help them?

For me, I have a friend whose hair has been through quite a bit. Permanent dye, bleach (over the dye, to blonde) then a perm, and then dyed back to her natural colour. You can imagine what state it was in - a woolly mass! She also went to Kenya for a time, as if it wasn't dry enough already. Yeah. It was sad hair. I had mentioned to another friend making an SMT once, and she phoned me asking for the recipe. I impressed upon her the importance of always using conditioner and got her diluting her shampoo, going cone-free, doing egg white treatments and using a very rich conditioner. It's still damaged and frizzy, but far better.

So, what about you? Share your stories!

Kerynna
December 17th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I've only been a member for a short time, but my daughters have gained a lot already. I am much more interested in, and confident about, trying new hairstyles on myself and on them. My oldest is 21 and she loves for me to do new braids on her, so I've been doing that (pics in my album). My youngest is 4, and she won't sit still long enough for me to do much on her yet, but last night I did a quick crown braid on her and it came out looking just stunning! (She didn't appreciate it, though. :p ) My middle child has relatively short hair, so I haven't used her as a guinea pig. Yet.

I've also discovered some great hairtoys that will be showing up in my kids' Christmas stockings this year. :wink:

HairyCarrie
December 17th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I am giving a friend of mine a "LHC Theme Gift Basket" for Christmas. I am enclosing the SMT Recipe, SLS/cone free shampoo/condish, AVG, honey, coconut oil, satin pillowcase, a Flexi8, and a few more items. Her hair is a beautiful silver as is, but I love everything I've learned here for myself, so wanted to share some goodies.

Merry :xmas: to y'all...

Marie99
December 17th, 2008, 01:16 PM
My mom has BSL hair. I've convinced her to braid it when she goes to bed.

Last summer a teenager asked me how I got my hair to be in one long spiral ponytail curl, so I explained I was sleeping with my hair in a bun held by a scrunchy and I twisted my hair into a spiral before I wrapped it up in the scrunchy bun and that would make a spiral pony tail last all day. So I put the scrunchy on top of my head, then twist all the hair then wrap it around the scrunchy a few times, it's only between APL and BSL so this still works.

LawyerGirl
December 17th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Haha I have benefited. And after the initial "mom what's on your head?" type questions, my ten year old son now wants "hair so shiny that it could blind the average person" haha.

heidi w.
December 17th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Absolutely, from quick encounters in grocery stores with women to even as recent as a good friend of mine who is a serious curly girl and was having problems getting her hair to detangle.

I taught her how to use conditioner and coat a comb with conditioner in the shower--she opted to use her fingers, which I had suggested as well. I taught her how to use her fingers instead of a brush, and why. I taught her how to properly wash and not pile hair and scrub, and pat dry, not rub dry or pile up. She loves the results and the time she saves, too!

I've also helped younger women, in their teens, learn about some basic premises, and have shown a lot of people how to oil over the years.

The lady who does my hems and such had a thyroid problem and I helped her out with vitamins and getting her hair back in order. It's long and shiny and wavy now. She only has one somewhat thin spot, but she thought she would go bald!

I have certainly educated many on LoL!
heidi w.

Auryn
December 17th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I've learned that there are many many ways to take care of your hair and that I should probably try several different methods to see what is best for my particular hair type.

It was so nice to find this community. I had almost decided to cut my BSL back up to my shoulders or higher. Now I'm determined to finally have waist length hair!

Ryanne
December 17th, 2008, 01:45 PM
My mother, though she won't take most of my advices. At least I got her to buy a satin pillow case and learn some basics.

Aries_jb
December 17th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I learned about coconut oil through LHC and though she doesn't use it in her hair, it really helped my mom. My mom was battling dry skin, so I told her how oil can retain moisture and she opted to try it out and it worked! She raves about how soft her skin is!

Tapioca
December 17th, 2008, 02:16 PM
My CO, henna-gloss DD5!

Eboshi
December 17th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Who else has benefited from my TLHC membership ?

I'd say, Alberto VO5, Ficcare and Mei Fa :D

<She>
December 17th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Well, my mother was skeptic at first. She always had her hair in some short styled bob, neck length. She didn't used to use conditioner and would wear the hair down (she couldn't make any up-do with that length). But, even though she wasn't gentle with her hair, it was very healthy, thick and resilient.
Now, she has almost apl hair, uses condinioner, wears it in various up-dos and it's still in very good condition :)

Curlsgirl
December 17th, 2008, 04:02 PM

Now that's funny right there! :D

For me, I guess a couple of friends who are curlies because I gave them the curly girl book and gave them a few tips. Most people don't want to take the time to listen or do what it takes so I don't talk about it much.

CaityBear
December 17th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I've had many people be shocked at how much I know about stuff like henna because nobody I know has every heard of henna otherwise. I've talked to my friend about it and she's been thinking about trying henna because she colours her hair black all the time. And I've put my mom up to the idea of henna because she's always coloring her hair because she's "not ready to go gray". lol

As well, I belong to another message board where I have answerd peoples posts about how to grow long hair and I tell them stuff I knew and stuff I learned from here.

LadyGunn
December 17th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Both of my sisters-in-law & several ladies at work are using coconut oil now. All the nurses here in the office want to grow their hair long now. Mom still fusses at me over my hair being up in a bun all the time, so I haven't exactly converted her. Yet. :twisted:

jenna
December 17th, 2008, 04:29 PM
• random people in stores - from quick tips to anti-LoL stuff.
• random people online - tips and anti-LoL stuff (i'm even thinking of starting an anti-LoL group on facebook. there are -tons- of proLoL on there)
•friends online - tips. ACV, WO, CO, that kinda thing.
•my dad was doing WO for a long time. i think he may wash once every blue moon but most of the time he's just been WO. tips to other family members.

LadyGunn
December 17th, 2008, 04:32 PM
• random people online - tips and anti-LoL stuff (i'm even thinking of starting an anti-LoL group on facebook. there are -tons- of proLoL on there)

I've been looking for an anti-LoL group but couldn't find one. Let me know if you do start it. I'd join in a heartbeat!

OhioLisa
December 17th, 2008, 04:33 PM
My DBF has become a fan of coconut oil since I introduced him to it. He uses it for everything now... even an occasional scalp massage & overnight oiling. No dry scalps here! :)

suicides_eve
December 17th, 2008, 04:52 PM
strangely enough my boy friend has picked up on my weird habits and of course my daughter who has the prettiest spirals in her class:D

RavennaNight
December 17th, 2008, 04:59 PM

Hahaha! I was thinking of thevarious purveyors of high-grade henna. :p Other than that, I turned a co-worker on to aloe gel. I guess DH has benefitted too. :eyebrows: he loves long hair.

annys
December 17th, 2008, 08:03 PM
My daughters. Both are long hairs, and their hair care routine is now so much better because of what I've learned on LHC.

Sissy
December 17th, 2008, 09:17 PM
my sister and husband so far :o

rapunzhell13
December 17th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I tend to keep this stuff to myself unless someone wants my advice and I think they will take it seriously. It might sound selfish, but it has already done wonders for myself and that's more than enough for me. ^_^

Calanthe
December 17th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Well, most of it I keep to myself, because most people I know, aren't interested in stuff like LHC (they just complain, their hair is frizzy or what-have-you). I pass a few things on to Mum, though. Our hairtype is totally different, but when I come across something which seems to match her hairtype, I mention it sometime or other. Her hair looks much better and she claims it's less work than it was before. Job done! :D

mellie
December 18th, 2008, 12:22 PM
My local herb store has benefitted most certainly! :-)

tiggens
December 18th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Even in my short time here, I have benefited from the stories by this warm and welcoming community promising Hope and Beauty post-pixie. It has been so encouraging and will hopefully make the grow-out more enjoyable.

GlennaGirl
December 18th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I've benefited from LHC in so many ways. Not the least is the fact that this is one of the smartest, most creative, most interesting forums I've ever been on. Who knew I'd find that at a hair care site? I LOVE the people here. What a great group...I learn something every time I log on. :)

~GypsyCurls~
December 18th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I've definitely benefited from it! I've learned some very healthy ideas/recipes to use on my hair that have improved the condition, and learned more of 'what not to do'. I'm an LHCer for life!

:)