PDA

View Full Version : Attack of the splits from... where?

rhysiana
December 17th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Some time late last week, I wore my hair in a ponytail to work and found myself fingercombing the ends, which brought to my attention a huge number of split ends and white dots. I knew I had some splits, but I had my mom do an inch trim about a month or so ago which seemed to improve matters a great deal, so I really wasn't expecting this. At first I thought I was just imagining a big increase because I was noticing more, but I've become more and more convinced that no, I really have developed an insane amount of splits and dots in the past few weeks. Serious splits, too, multiple feathery ends, major weak spots further up the shaft than I normally see, and lots of ends with sharp angle bends when I untangle.

My question is, why?

I really can't think of anything I've done as a major change in my routine during this time. I SC about twice a week, no cones, fingercomb when wet, wide-tooth comb when mostly dry, camellia oil and fine-tooth comb that through carefully, braid for sleep, updos or braids almost every day. I didn't change my shampoo, conditioner, or oil.

Could it be the cold I had last week? Could it be the onset of winter and/or the dry indoor air from the heating system in my office building? What are some other ideas? This is going to drive me nuts! I don't want this to become a chronic problem.

I do, at least, have a plan of attack. I did cassia for the first time two nights ago, and I'm going to get some catnip for rinsing and embark on a major S&D. But why is this happening?!

CopperHead
December 17th, 2008, 01:28 PM
It is just something that happens to long hair especially. Think how old the ends of your hair are and how much they have been through. ;) I just do regular small trims and it seems to keep the splits in check, but I really don't look for them either. I henna my hair and that has helped a lot. I'm sure the cassia will help you too. You could try oiling the ends and wearing it up more. I rarely wear my hair down in any way and the condition has improved a lot.

Marie99
December 17th, 2008, 01:42 PM
It really could be the onset of winter and/or the dry indoor air from the heating system in the office building.

Hair is dead and the ends of your hair are several years dead, so the cold you had last week won't affect the ends.

If you had a serious disease or a horrible accident, it might hurt the roots, which are new, but a cold would never hurt your hair. It just isn't serious enough.

I didn't get married until I was 23, so I was the unofficial 'nurse' for my extended family for a long time. I did notice people who had been in car accidents or had pnuemonia would shed a lot and then get new growth at the end of their recovery. Or maybe they just liked me brushing their hair for hours until I brushed it all out!

rhysiana
December 17th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the replies so far; I feel a bit less worried now. I really hope I increase my hair toy stash over the holidays, because it sounds like the best thing I can do is wear my hair up constantly.

Sadly, I had to promise not to buy anything else for myself until after Christmas. I'm impatient!

jojo
December 20th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Hi, yes it is due to having long hair but also you say your mum cut an inch off your hair did she use scissors that are just used for cutting hair? and where they sharp? these factors can also cause splits too.

CindyLea1
December 20th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I noticed all this myself the other day and about had a coranary!!!

The very ends were ok, but farther up the splits were bad, some even looked like feathers at the ends!

I think, in my case it was the way I was wrapping my ponytail. I was using a scrunchie, but when I twisted it to make another loop, I noticed I was pulling one side along the top of the ponytail. Causeing the scrunchie to slide along the hair when I pulled it tight. I think this was causing friction breakage at the nape of my neck.

I just did a major S&D. I almost through out the scrunchies but just figured I'd be more careful with them in the future.

CindyLea

Dreamernz
December 20th, 2008, 11:05 AM
If you haven't changed your routine then I definitely think its just the change in weather, winter is brutal and merciless towards hair! :(

rhysiana
December 20th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Hi, yes it is due to having long hair but also you say your mum cut an inch off your hair did she use scissors that are just used for cutting hair? and where they sharp? these factors can also cause splits too.

Hi jojo. My mom has always been the one to cut my hair when it's been long (so most of my life), and she always uses hair scissors. These are even fairly new ones, because she had decided the old ones were too dull. Since the splits I'm seeing now are mostly higher up, I don't think the scissors can be the culprit this time.

rhysiana
December 20th, 2008, 05:21 PM
If you haven't changed your routine then I definitely think its just the change in weather, winter is brutal and merciless towards hair! :(

I think this is what I've concluded too. I probably just never noticed before, since this is my first winter since joining LHC.

salamander
December 20th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Sounds like it's time for a heavy moisturizing treatment! A lot of people have to switch to a more moisturizing routine during the winter.

rhysiana
December 20th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Sounds like it's time for a heavy moisturizing treatment! A lot of people have to switch to a more moisturizing routine during the winter.

Thanks, salamander. I've been trying to do a bit more oiling now, and I was utterly amazed at how much conditioner my hair soaked in when I was rinsing out the cassia treatment. Poor hair. Stupid office heating system. Hopefully the holidays will help it recover a bit!

jojo
December 20th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Hi jojo. My mom has always been the one to cut my hair when it's been long (so most of my life), and she always uses hair scissors. These are even fairly new ones, because she had decided the old ones were too dull. Since the splits I'm seeing now are mostly higher up, I don't think the scissors can be the culprit this time. I see id guess the weather is the culprit then, my hair is splitting for fun too. I am just s&ding took 2 hours the other week; there were millions. I find putting oil in the very ends and bunning it, helps a lot too with splits. Good luck xx

eadwine
December 21st, 2008, 05:46 AM
I'd say the scissors are to blame. If you had only a few before the cut and now after the cut loads appear: the scissors must be blunt, definitely.

maskedrose
December 21st, 2008, 07:26 PM
I think it's the weather too - mines also on a split-fest, so I've started doing more frequent deep treatments. I also started cassia a few days ago, so hopefully that will help too.

Pierre
December 21st, 2008, 10:14 PM
Hi jojo. My mom has always been the one to cut my hair when it's been long (so most of my life), and she always uses hair scissors. These are even fairly new ones, because she had decided the old ones were too dull. Since the splits I'm seeing now are mostly higher up, I don't think the scissors can be the culprit this time.
Could it be flash on the comb? I'd expect bad scissors to cause a split that starts at the end, but a bad comb would strip the cuticle higher up.