PDA

View Full Version : Overnight Oiling Question.

Xepher
December 17th, 2008, 11:33 AM
This is a rather brief question, but I was wondering how you ladies who like to leave oil in their hair overnight, keep it from getting all over the pillow and bed :confused:

My hair is pretty dry most of the time so I want to start trying this to see how it goes, but gah, the thought of an oily pillowcase the next morning is a little bit of a turn-off!

Let me know what you do to keep the oil in your hair only!

lyria
December 17th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I had the same question a few months ago when I wanted to coconut oil over night. Someone (can't remember who) said the easiest thing was just to cover your pillow in a large bath towel. That way you can launder it later and not worry about the sheets. I've done this three times now and it works like a charm! Good Luck

MandaMom2Three
December 17th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I stick my head in a showercap AND use a towel. I'm afraid it would just soak through the towel onto my pillow :o

Xepher
December 17th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Towel and showercap, gotcha :D Thanks guys!

lyria
December 17th, 2008, 12:08 PM
ooo, yes definitely shower cap (i use saran wrap under that too!)

Ryanne
December 17th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I use two showercaps, a towell and an old piece of clothing loosely around my neck, so my pillow and bed are pretty save :lol:

~GypsyCurls~
December 17th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I usually use a satin sleep cap and don't really need to wrap my pillow in a towel, but it's still a good idea...

spidermom
December 17th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I make a top-of-head ponytail and only oil the length, not the scalp area. I've never noticed the pillowcase getting oily, and I have looked. My hair is pretty greedy and soaks most of the oil right up.

Unofficial_Rose
December 17th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I have an old maroon pillowcase I put over my normal pillowcase especially for this purpose ;)

Marie99
December 17th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I toss and turn a lot, so I use a showercap with a scarf to tie it down and an old towel.

Lady Verity
December 17th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I've never had problems, even with heavy oilings. I just plait my hair.

LaurelSpring
December 17th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I've never had problems, even with heavy oilings. I just plait my hair.

Ditto. I've never had any problems either.

Aisha25
December 17th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I braid them and cover my hair with a turban.

burns_erin
December 17th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Since I heavily oil only on the weekends I just wash my bedding on Sundays, But I also, due to allergies, have two pillow case covers and two 500+ threadcount pillow cases on each pillow. So it is highly unlikely it is going to soak through the whole bunch. As it is though, it does not seem to be a significant problem.

Dolly
December 17th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I make sure that my hair is braided after oiling, and then I put a towel over my pillow.

CaityBear
December 17th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I usually just put a towel over my pillow and I don't have any problem with my pillow getting oily...though if I use some EO then the scent seeps through and my pillow smells nice. :)

Elphie
December 17th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I braid it as well and haven't noticed any problems. I don't cover my pillowcase with anything at all.

ChloeDharma
December 17th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I'm going to make a disgusting confession and admit that my oils do soak through to my pillow, i usually end up just buying new ones every so often....but i should really take measures to avoid this

Sissy
December 17th, 2008, 09:16 PM
disgusting confession here too.... the times I've tried heavy overnight oilings I haven't covered my pillow case with anything ;) I think the towel over pillow case and shower cap are both good ideas though.

beehives
December 17th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I make a top-of-head ponytail and only oil the length, not the scalp area. I've never noticed the pillowcase getting oily, and I have looked. My hair is pretty greedy and soaks most of the oil right up.

Yep, me too.

MountainGypsy
December 17th, 2008, 10:26 PM
disgusting confession here too.... the times I've tried heavy overnight oilings I haven't covered my pillow case with anything ;) I think the towel over pillow case and shower cap are both good ideas though.

You are not the only one, I have many an oil stained pillow case! :p

RedFrizz
December 17th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Lazy as I am, I just braid my hair after oiling and that's it. No towels or shower caps or anything. I've done this overnight oiling about 10 times now and my pillow hasn't yet shown any signs of oiliness what so ever. BUT it wouldn't hurt to change my habits though, maybe next time I could consider using a towel at least..

AprilElf
December 18th, 2008, 01:03 AM
I don't know about other oils, but coconut oil doesn't stain my pillowcase. I bun my hair on top of my head when overnight oiling. I don't put anything over my pillow - just change the pillowcase the next day. Seems to work. ;)

Xepher
December 18th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone!

And don't worry about your "disgusting" confession about the pillows; that's happened to me before, hence why I'm asking how to prevent it now xD

Loviatar
December 18th, 2008, 07:27 AM

I do exactly the same thing as Spidermom except that I braid, not ponytail. I am careful not to use my best red pillowcases though. I have patterned, dark coloured cases for oiling days. :)

jojo
December 20th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I use a towel over my pillowcase or in the past ive used a shower cap topped with a wooly hat, a sight to be held for sure!