PDA

View Full Version : Dandruff cause slow growth???

kwhitchurch
December 17th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Just wondering if anyone knows if dandruff can be the cause of slow growth? My head is not usually itchy but I do get flakes and I am worried that means my scalp is not happy and therefore could be slowing my growth...I have been doing CO for about 2 months and have only shampood maybe 1 or 2 times since I started

lyria
December 17th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I would bet that dandruff is a sign of an unhealthy scalp which would definitely slow growth. Maybe you could try using some jojoba oil as a leave in?

Spike
December 17th, 2008, 11:52 AM
(smacks forehead--hopefully that will improve circulation)

D'oh!!! For years I had pretty bad dandruff (nothing would control the stuff) and . . . you guessed it, thinning, slow-growing hair.

Hopefully, now that I'm no longer flaky on the outside, my hair will come back in thicker and faster.

kwhitchurch
December 17th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I am a little worried that putting oil on my scalp will make my hair look terribly oily, I have fine thin hair as it is. I will definitely look in to something now if it slows growth. I have had terribly slow growing hair for several months and I can't take it anymore! It might also have to do with the frigid cold minnesota weather we are having (lucky if the temp gets above 15 degrees this week!)

Darkhorse1
December 17th, 2008, 01:45 PM
dandruff is a fungus that lays under the scalp. It's not a sign of unhealthy-ness. Scientists are unsure why some people get it and others don't. Genetics play a huge roll. As well as stress etc.

I've never noticed lack of growth due to dandruff, but my hair grows very fast--it's genetic as well. So, perhaps look at genetics first, and then discuss some dandruff problems with your doctor to find the best solution for you. :)

Heidi_234
December 17th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I have white flakes all the time, I'm not sure if it's dandruff or dry sebum. My scalp is more on the dry side, it gets oily about 6 days after I wash my hair, and even then It's not massive. I was never concerned about it and it didn't bother me much esthetically-wise, but now that I see this thread I am a bit concerned.
How do I tell dandruff from dry sebum?

Arctic_Mama
December 17th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Hm, I don't know if it is a sign of an unhealthy scalp or not. I have ridiculously thick, healthy hair and my scalp functions, but seborrheic dermatitis is genetic in my family and I have horrible scaling. I have never seen it affect hair growth with me. I take biotin, fish and flax oil, and will be starting a hair, skin, and nails supplement soon for good measure, but in my experience my scalp does that no matter what my routine.

Maybe there is a difference between chemically induced/irritated dandruff and my type, that I can't avoid?

I will say as reluctant as I was to use it, the topical corticosteroid foam Luxiq cleared my painful, severe flaking in a week of use and it has settled for the time being. It's been a miracle worker for my scalp and not harmed my hair at all. Hallelujah!

ktani
December 17th, 2008, 03:32 PM
This article from 2005, is very LHC oriented IMO, in terms of haircare but is about dandruff and hair loss too.

"Myth #1 - Dandruff does not contribute to hair loss. Dandruff is caused by a fungus known as malazzesia globosa. This fungus .... commonly found floating in the air which is why dandruff can be treated, but not cured. In addition to the scaling which characterizes dandruff, the condition also can lead to hair loss."
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/27956.php

CaityBear
December 17th, 2008, 04:23 PM
My whole family has dandruff. I can't say I've noticed slow growth when I had it really bad. It's not so bad now, but my hair has always grown really fast.

Henitsirk
December 26th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I have dandruff and fast-growing, thick, healthy hair. So I don't think it's connected! With the cold weather, is it very dry in your home and/or work? That might be a bigger factor in your hair's health right now. I also have heard that hair grows more in the warm months, but I'm not sure if that's not a myth.