PDA

View Full Version : dred tools, does anyone know where I can get one?

joyinc
March 25th, 2008, 09:58 AM
can I just pick something like this up anywhere? I dont want to order it online.

http://www.dreadheadhq.com/shop/product.php?productid=16144&cat=249&page=1

Or better yet, does anyone know how to weave in new hair using maybe a crochet hook?

thanks!

Madam Librarian
March 25th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I don't know how tiny the working end of that tool is, but it looks just like a latch hook to me. Have a look at a craft/hobby store around those latch hook rug kits and the yarn.

cindy58
March 25th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Yes, that looks just like the tool for latch hooked rugs to me also.

freznow
March 25th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I don't know how tiny the working end of that tool is, but it looks just like a latch hook to me. Have a look at a craft/hobby store around those latch hook rug kits and the yarn.

Just what I was going to say :D I have a few of those just lying around. You can get them at Walmart even sometimes.

Delilah
March 25th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Use a tiny latchook or crochet hook. Buy them at wal-mart or any craft or yarn store.
To use them insert the hook right through the dread, grab the stray hairs and pull them into the dread. If that leaves ends sticking out from where you pulled the hook out, come in with the hook from the other side and pull the hair through the dread again.

Its kind of fun to do on someone else, like crocheting human hair. Relaxing if you like crafts.

joyinc
March 25th, 2008, 04:41 PM
thanks 4 the advice! my boyfriend has dreds and hasn't been able to get to his friend's place who does it. i said i'd try since i have crochet hooks myself. but i just can't imagine how it would fit through his hair. what's the difference between a crochet hook and a latch hook?

Delilah
March 25th, 2008, 04:53 PM
You need a very very tiny hook. Not a regular sized one, but one that has the barrel thickness of a large sewing needle or so.

joyinc
March 25th, 2008, 05:05 PM
awesome :) i must have one of those kickin around somewhere :)