PDA

View Full Version : Thin/Fine Hair Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32

erebus
August 9th, 2017, 04:00 PM
Hi, first post here.

I'm quite sure my hair is both fine and thin, although I haven't measured the thickness yet. I also have a question about tangles, because I feel like my hair tangles way more than what is normal, especially the ends. If try to comb through it after it's dried I have to start less than an inch from the end and work my way up super slowly. Sometimes when I work through it with my fingers it almost feels like there is a sticky substance in my hair, because the hairs simply don't want to separate. By being patient I can work it out, but minutes later I won't be able to run a comb through it all without stopping or going very slow.

My hair is not very long, a bit more than chin length in the front, so I thought that my ends shouldn't be that damaged yet. Until quite recently though I did not know much about hair care (I still don't) and was using 2-in-1 'poo every day, which combined with blow drying might have damaged it a bit. The ends have a slightly dry texture, but I'm not sure that is the right word. Just looking at them I can't tell that they're damaged:

http://i.imgur.com/lYPrHNE.jpg

but even in that image you can see there is one hair bent backwards, probably because it's caught on some other strand of hair.

I'm going to try conditioning my hair on the days I don't shampoo* it (even though it means drying it every day), but I was wondering if there's anything else not too fancy I could try to do to make it better. Thanks for reading!:)

*I use silicone free shampoo / conditioner, but I had the same problem before I switched.

teal
August 9th, 2017, 05:15 PM
I also have a question about tangles, because I feel like my hair tangles way more than what is normal, especially the ends. If try to comb through it after it's dried I have to start less than an inch from the end and work my way up super slowly. Sometimes when I work through it with my fingers it almost feels like there is a sticky substance in my hair, because the hairs simply don't want to separate. By being patient I can work it out, but minutes later I won't be able to run a comb through it all without stopping or going very slow.

My hair is not very long, a bit more than chin length in the front, so I thought that my ends shouldn't be that damaged yet. Until quite recently though I did not know much about hair care (I still don't) and was using 2-in-1 'poo every day, which combined with blow drying might have damaged it a bit. The ends have a slightly dry texture, but I'm not sure that is the right word. Just looking at them I can't tell that they're damaged:

but even in that image you can see there is one hair bent backwards, probably because it's caught on some other strand of hair.

I'm going to try conditioning my hair on the days I don't shampoo* it (even though it means drying it every day), but I was wondering if there's anything else not too fancy I could try to do to make it better. Thanks for reading!:)

*I use silicone free shampoo / conditioner, but I had the same problem before I switched.

How is the water hardness where you live? Your problem might be build-up of old product and/or minerals in the water. Your hair doesn't look like it's in terrible condition - I don't really see splits - so maybe you should try a clarifying wash, then let it air dry and then detangle. My routine is now conditioner first and shampoo second - it's made a big difference.

UP Lisa
August 10th, 2017, 07:04 AM
Hi, first post here.

I'm quite sure my hair is both fine and thin, although I haven't measured the thickness yet. I also have a question about tangles, because I feel like my hair tangles way more than what is normal, especially the ends. If try to comb through it after it's dried I have to start less than an inch from the end and work my way up super slowly. Sometimes when I work through it with my fingers it almost feels like there is a sticky substance in my hair, because the hairs simply don't want to separate. By being patient I can work it out, but minutes later I won't be able to run a comb through it all without stopping or going very slow.

http://i.imgur.com/lYPrHNE.jpg

Wow. Your hair sounds a lot like mine. I call it spider-web hair. Wants to stick together. Hard to separate to do braids or other styles. 2 in 1 products are really not as good as using separate products. I don't ever use them.

diddiedaisy
August 11th, 2017, 02:33 AM
Wow. Your hair sounds a lot like mine. I call it spider-web hair. Wants to stick together. Hard to separate to do braids or other styles. 2 in 1 products are really not as good as using separate products. I don't ever use them.

Haha I call mine spider web hair too. I had to have stitches once behind my ear, and the doctor stopped half way through and asked if I would hold all my hair out of the way as he was getting mixed up between my hair and the thread!!!!

erebus
August 11th, 2017, 06:24 PM

Haha, yup spider web hair is an apt description.

How is the water hardness where you live? Your problem might be build-up of old product and/or minerals in the water. Your hair doesn't look like it's in terrible condition - I don't really see splits - so maybe you should try a clarifying wash, then let it air dry and then detangle. My routine is now conditioner first and shampoo second - it's made a big difference.

I tried to look it up, but it's only specified in a broad range here which I think falls into medium hardness. Don't have one of those testing strips around unfortunately (funnily I did have one but gave it to my sis who lives somewhere else). When you apply the conditioner first, do you still let it soak in for a few minutes before shampooing? Thanks :)

leayellena
August 12th, 2017, 03:39 AM
Uff! If I had more than like 5 normal strands I would be likely a iii haired. I have insanely thick hair but the poor strands are fine. Like what am I supposed to do with a frizzy and unmanageable lot of strands that fall limp when I sweat, wear a hat or it is humid outside?!
Haha it's ok. Now I know why hairdressers can't deal with my hair. I am still learning to cope with my hair too.

teal
August 13th, 2017, 01:38 AM
When you apply the conditioner first, do you still let it soak in for a few minutes before shampooing? Thanks :)

Yup! :agree: I apply, work it in and clip it up while I do other shower tasks, then give my scalp a gentle scrub and then rinse really well with my removable showerhead. (Best purchase ever! :lol:) Then shampoo. I don't tend to let the shampoo sit for long, though, as I find it more astringent.

Rebeccalaurenxx
August 13th, 2017, 01:48 AM
Sometimes my fine hair really annoys me. It seems to just look so frizzy...Its fine, cant leave it down because its so fine it ends to develop breakage within hours.
And then the frizz. I started using nightbloomings leave ins and it seems to be making my hair upset. Sometimes i really hate this hair type.
I feel like ive been working so hard forever and getting no where because of how fine my strands are, and i always look oily or greasy, I hate it.

LizzyGrant
August 13th, 2017, 02:10 AM
Uff! If I had more than like 5 normal strands I would be likely a iii haired. I have insanely thick hair but the poor strands are fine. Like what am I supposed to do with a frizzy and unmanageable lot of strands that fall limp when I sweat, wear a hat or it is humid outside?!
Haha it's ok. Now I know why hairdressers can't deal with my hair. I am still learning to cope with my hair too.

This sounds very familiar, just like my hair :laugh: Have you checked the fine & thick thread?

Alissalocks
August 13th, 2017, 07:23 AM
Last night I made my friend feel a strand of my hair that was stuck to me (a recent shed) to prove to her my hair is thin you can't even feel a single strand rolling between your fingertips. She has horse hair, coarse and SO thick... So of course I want her hair, and she wants mine.

Aredhel
August 13th, 2017, 10:32 AM
Last night I made my friend feel a strand of my hair that was stuck to me (a recent shed) to prove to her my hair is thin you can't even feel a single strand rolling between your fingertips. She has horse hair, coarse and SO thick... So of course I want her hair, and she wants mine.

Just wanted to say, I love your new siggy pic!! :D Well I dunno when you changed it, but I just noticed it. Your hair is so pretty and shiny and much longer now. :)

bparnell75
August 14th, 2017, 08:19 AM
AT the 99 cent store I noticed the checkers hair. she had a short pony tail about 3 inches that was the thinnest I have ever seen It looked to be about the thickness of a skewer. I felt bad for her and decided I should not be complaining about my hair being thin. I am determined to be grateful for what I have, thought it still sickens me to see the really long sheds....so may every day.

I have always collected what comes out of my brush. Yesterday I wore four of my small rats made from that hair to do a faux Gibson around my face. Funny I did notice that the newer rats are much lighter than the older ones.

lucid
August 14th, 2017, 09:41 AM
I think that is a good mindset to have, be grateful for what one have!

It can be difficult though, and I still get anxious when I start shedding more than usual. It was a bit traumatizing to go through telogen effluvium (1.5 years ago, shedding several hundred strands a day for months), even though TE isn't permanent. For the last month, I have shed a lot more than what I have done since my TE stopped, and it worries me... I try to think rationally about it though - what I shed now is still within normal (so not at all what TE was like for me), and it could be that I'm stabilizing now after very minimal shedding for 1.5 years. I'll have my blood tested to rule out vitamin deficiency, just to be sure.

Cg
August 14th, 2017, 02:07 PM
AT the 99 cent store I noticed the checkers hair. she had a short pony tail about 3 inches that was the thinnest I have ever seen It looked to be about the thickness of a skewer. I felt bad for her and decided I should not be complaining about my hair being thin. I am determined to be grateful for what I have, thought it still sickens me to see the really long sheds....so may every day.

I have always collected what comes out of my brush. Yesterday I wore four of my small rats made from that hair to do a faux Gibson around my face. Funny I did notice that the newer rats are much lighter than the older ones.

Much more silver, you mean! I've noticed the same thing.

SlightlySoprano
August 25th, 2017, 08:04 PM
Ever have that moment where you're feeling like your hair feels particularly "heavy" and "thick" and you go to take a hair picture and its just so see through? :violin:

missmaggieeliza
August 25th, 2017, 08:28 PM
Hi I have been MIA for awhile. Wanted to update. Keep trying to grow my hair out and it keeps breaking. i have been using the hair sticks/forks sent to me from here and love them. I think I might be an inch longer than I was at 24 inches now. I forget what it was and hoping it will show when I post this. I have been doing a long day of hair mask before a wash and also trying to only wash once a week and very careful combing with wide tooth comb. Mostly leaving it alone and there are not many tangles when it dries.

Still having more darker hairs coming back into my once all silver. I reported on this a few months ago. they are getting longer and many more of them. Just seems to weird how this could happen. apparently it is not all that uncommon. Just surprised by it. the darker hairs in the daylight against white paper are the same red my hair was before I went totally silver about 15 years ago.

So all is good I have been so busy with yard work and painting my house and YES I am wearing my hair up for that all the time.

Just had to come in and look at all of your lovely hair.

Editing to add I see now my hair has grown 2 inches since the last time I measured. I think in March so this is very encouraging.

teal
August 25th, 2017, 11:55 PM
Ever have that moment where you're feeling like your hair feels particularly "heavy" and "thick" and you go to take a hair picture and its just so see through? :violin:

Story of my life! :lol:

missmaggieeliza
August 27th, 2017, 07:12 PM

UGH just today when I put my hair up in a french twist with the cool french roll gizzy in it. Looked with mirror at the back when I was done and a HUGE bare spot on my left side showing. Sheese. Had to totally start over. I am having a bad hair day. I guess I need to wash as nothing is working. I guess it has been 5 days so it is ok to wash so soon. Just seems I just did it.

Got up to photo . Sorry about the tags and kitty helping, NOT. LOL
https://www.flickr.com/photos/50185661@N03/36047580313/in/dateposted/

Alissalocks
August 27th, 2017, 08:56 PM
Just wanted to say, I love your new siggy pic!! :D Well I dunno when you changed it, but I just noticed it. Your hair is so pretty and shiny and much longer now. :)
Oh my gosh I just found this and thank you Aredhel!! It's a little bit of a trick angle... the camera was higher than me so. It makes it look longer than it really is by a couple inches but I'm gonna get there! I took that in our backyard actually, I live in the mountains. But I've been dying for an outdoor shot that can show some shine, but I always get weird shadows when I try outside shots and my black hair.

Meggypoo
August 28th, 2017, 12:39 AM
Any others here with magic disappearing hair? (My hair is listed as medium thickness but I just put that down as 'average' - I suspect it's actually thin)

Anyway, the magic disappearing hair! Whilst down, my hair is a glorious, enormous mane. Especially since I started using protein which it just totally drinks up. Rawr!

But put it in a bun and POOF! A wee little cinnibun that I can hide under the palm of a flat hand. Where does it all go???

The secret is that it's really curly and the curls repel each other while down... they have to abide each other's presence in a bun.

Aredhel
August 28th, 2017, 05:22 AM
Oh my gosh I just found this and thank you Aredhel!! It's a little bit of a trick angle... the camera was higher than me so. It makes it look longer than it really is by a couple inches but I'm gonna get there! I took that in our backyard actually, I live in the mountains. But I've been dying for an outdoor shot that can show some shine, but I always get weird shadows when I try outside shots and my black hair.
YOu are most welcome!:flower: I figured it was slightly overhead, but it still looks super pretty. I have the same issue with photographing my dark hair too; it's difficult to capture any kind of shininess without a lot of sunlight! :p

Any others here with magic disappearing hair? (My hair is listed as medium thickness but I just put that down as 'average' - I suspect it's actually thin)

Anyway, the magic disappearing hair! Whilst down, my hair is a glorious, enormous mane. Especially since I started using protein which it just totally drinks up. Rawr!

But put it in a bun and POOF! A wee little cinnibun that I can hide under the palm of a flat hand. Where does it all go???

The secret is that it's really curly and the curls repel each other while down... they have to abide each other's presence in a bun.
Yup, I have 1a hair that is super compact too. It is a blessing and a curse. :D

Arctic
August 28th, 2017, 05:53 AM

My hair appears thicker than it is due to the volume, although my buns can also apper bigger than they are thanks to my coarser hair that don't compact easily. My buns are, like I always joke, mostly air. And on the other side of the coin, your bun sounds like it is more compact than mine, and has less air :)

You can measure your thickness very easily with a string or a soft measuring tape.

MidnightMoon
August 28th, 2017, 06:02 AM

Same happens to me. If I wash it and don't comb it stays in clumps, and looks like there's less of it. Once I comb and/or brush, I turn into a witch with a huge coat of hair.
If I put it up it compacts to a small bun. I do try to make it look a bit larger my mixing in braids, putting in forks or sticks, and make it closer to the scalp so it expands close to my scalp instead of sticking out and looking smaller from the back. I've actually been told I have A LOT of hair, and I'm just like... it's not even 3 inches :confused:
It's the waves, frizz and volume. Despite how difficult it can be to care for hair that's wavy on top of fine, I guess it's better that way. I'd feel weird with both fine and straight hair, and it wouldn't suit my face or body.

UP Lisa
August 28th, 2017, 06:23 AM
Same happens to me. If I wash it and don't comb it stays in clumps, and looks like there's less of it. Once I comb and/or brush, I turn into a witch with a huge coat of hair.
If I put it up it compacts to a small bun. I do try to make it look a bit larger my mixing in braids, putting in forks or sticks, and make it closer to the scalp so it expands close to my scalp instead of sticking out and looking smaller from the back. I've actually been told I have A LOT of hair, and I'm just like... it's not even 3 inches :confused:
It's the waves, frizz and volume. Despite how difficult it can be to care for hair that's wavy on top of fine, I guess it's better that way. I'd feel weird with both fine and straight hair, and it wouldn't suit my face or body.

You have my hair type, but mine does not frizz for some reason.

MidnightMoon
August 28th, 2017, 06:29 AM
You have my hair type, but mine does not frizz for some reason.

xd yeah, I remember back when I first created this account you messaged me :p
I don't know why it does, I think it has something to do with dryness, because it's mostly hair on top of my head which feels dry for a while on wash day. Then, I sometimes get a few coarser wavier hairs on top which refuse to blend with the rest, but frizziness usually goes away after the second day, or after I've put it up in a bun or something that compresses it.
I can get puffy hair any time I want if I brush with a bbb, though.

UP Lisa
August 28th, 2017, 06:36 AM
xd yeah, I remember back when I first created this account you messaged me :p
I don't know why it does, I think it has something to do with dryness, because it's mostly hair on top of my head which feels dry for a while on wash day. Then, I sometimes get a few coarser wavier hairs on top which refuse to blend with the rest, but frizziness usually goes away after the second day, or after I've put it up in a bun or something that compresses it.
I can get puffy hair any time I want if I brush with a bbb, though.

I don't really have any hairs that are coarser/wavier. My hair generally doesn't feel dry, especially if I use a good, creamy conditioner.

MidnightMoon
August 28th, 2017, 06:38 AM
I don't really have any hairs that are coarser/wavier. My hair generally doesn't feel dry, especially if I use a good, creamy conditioner.

Eh, lucky you.
I'd smooth em down a bit if I put conditioner on them, but that would make my scalp greasy so quick I'd rather walk around with halo hairs for one day :lol:

UP Lisa
August 28th, 2017, 07:15 AM
Eh, lucky you.
I'd smooth em down a bit if I put conditioner on them, but that would make my scalp greasy so quick I'd rather walk around with halo hairs for one day :lol:

Yes. I never put conditioner near my scalp. My scalp is oily enough already!

Natashap
August 28th, 2017, 08:07 AM
So much scalp is showing on my crown ,I wonder how much I shed everyday.

Hopefully need to change my routine and try rogaine 2 percent first.

Its highly depressing.

MrsDay
August 29th, 2017, 09:54 AM

YES! Sadly, even when my hair is down it looks very fine. When I have bun or braid waves that helps!
One thing I'm struggling with is how to make my braids not look so itty bitty. I try pancaking them but I can only do that so much without it looking crazy. Here's my recent braid - I'm not super good at it yet but the practice is helping! (Excuse the cat hair ALL OVER MY SHIRT. My cat is long haired and frankly I gave up trying to avoid his hair.)

http://i.imgur.com/rIMU5Dy.jpg

UP Lisa
August 29th, 2017, 11:58 AM
YES! Sadly, even when my hair is down it looks very fine. When I have bun or braid waves that helps!
One thing I'm struggling with is how to make my braids not look so itty bitty. I try pancaking them but I can only do that so much without it looking crazy. Here's my recent braid - I'm not super good at it yet but the practice is helping! (Excuse the cat hair ALL OVER MY SHIRT. My cat is long haired and frankly I gave up trying to avoid his hair.)

http://i.imgur.com/rIMU5Dy.jpg

Have you tried a paranda?

Arctic
August 29th, 2017, 12:12 PM
MrsDay this is a lovely braid you have there! Here in Finland I see braids of your thickness all the time, and thus for me it looks very normal braid. You seem to have a good scalp coverage too, so I wouldn't worry about your braid/thickness, it's just cat's meows just the way it is!

ReadingRenee
August 29th, 2017, 01:59 PM
MrsDay, your braid is really pretty. I love the different colors and the shininess. My hair is fine and thinnish too. I always bemoan it on myself but I seem to admire it on others.

Today at work I saw a woman with waist lengthish fairy tale ends in a v hemline and her hair was obviously fine and on the thin side and I thought it was so pretty! For a moment I wanted her hair, then I realized I HAVE her hair, its just not that long yet.

Cg
August 29th, 2017, 02:11 PM
MrsDay, this is about the thickness of my braid also, and you will notice that as it lengthens, the fatter part will extend down more. Please focus on the good qualities of your hair (sleek, shiny, healthy, beautiful) and don't compare yourself with others.

MrsDay
August 30th, 2017, 09:15 AM
Artic - No, I haven't. I have clip in extensions that I use to thicken up my hair when I really feel like I need to bulk it up, but I don't use them often since they irritate my scalp.

ReadingRenee, CG - Thanks for the nice comments. All in all I love my hair, it's just hard not to have hair envy occasionally when I see such thick lustrous long hair around the web. Plus I feel like my hair is growing so slowly as I'm growing out bleach/highlights and it's prone to breaking at the ends where the damage is.

Ellethwyn
August 30th, 2017, 03:23 PM
Since June my hair has been shedding more than usual. I think it started because of stress that I had while on a trip, that's when it started. Now it seems it is just starting to get back to normal, thankfully.
I measured my ponytail circumference last night and I've lost somewhere between 1/8 to 1/4 inch. :-( I don't know...maybe this is normal.

Here's my hair now, the ends are so light and feathery, more than ever before and quite tapered.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4405/36785867591_bc6a7e8d80_b.jpg

diddiedaisy
August 30th, 2017, 04:11 PM
Since June my hair has been shedding more than usual. I think it started because of stress that I had while on a trip, that's when it started. Now it seems it is just starting to get back to normal, thankfully.
I measured my ponytail circumference last night and I've lost somewhere between 1/8 to 1/4 inch. :-( I don't know...maybe this is normal.

Here's my hair now, the ends are so light and feathery, more than ever before and quite tapered.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4405/36785867591_bc6a7e8d80_b.jpg

I think your hair looks beautiful. To me your taper looks completely normal, especially for natural blonde hair which is usually on the fine side. Although it's always concerning when you go through a decent shed, the main thing is that it's stopped. :)

lapushka
August 30th, 2017, 04:33 PM

That is such a pretty braid! I would leave it as is. I think it goes with the silky smoothness of it and it looks really nice!

I like it. It looks great to me!!! :)

Ellethwyn
August 30th, 2017, 09:57 PM
Thank you, diddiedaisy & lapushka.

Yes, I am glad the shedding has stopped!

AutobotsAttack
September 1st, 2017, 10:09 PM
What are your opinions on honey masks/deep conditioners?
I made a hair mask earlier today, that consisted of 2 tablespoons of honey
and a few other ingredients. My hair came out very soft, but stronger feeling
than it usually does.

I'm just wondering if prolonged used of honey may or may not weigh my hair down, or cause it
to clump together, especially with fine hair? So far so good.

Aredhel
September 1st, 2017, 11:51 PM
What are your opinions on honey masks/deep conditioners?
I made a hair mask earlier today, that consisted of 2 tablespoons of honey
and a few other ingredients. My hair came out very soft, but stronger feeling
than it usually does.

I'm just wondering if prolonged used of honey may or may not weigh my hair down, or cause it
to clump together, especially with fine hair? So far so good.
As long as you clarify regularly, that shouldn't be a problem. :)

Aredhel
September 3rd, 2017, 02:14 PM
Does anyone here have a HG leave-in that they can recommend? :) My length is super dry and prone to breakage, so I've been on the hunt for a really good (and light) and moisture-rich leave-in... especially since winter is around the corner, and my hair hates the winter dryness. If anyone has any product suggestions I'd love to hear them! :)

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 3rd, 2017, 02:26 PM
Does anyone here have a HG leave-in that they can recommend? :) My length is super dry and prone to breakage, so I've been on the hunt for a really good (and light) and moisture-rich leave-in... especially since winter is around the corner, and my hair hates the winter dryness. If anyone has any product suggestions I'd love to hear them! :)

Are you cone free?
I have been doing LOC/LCO with a shea moisture rose conditioner, i dont know why but its really really foamy - very light. Silicone free.
Very strong smell but it works, I usually use it after a shower but on semi dry hair because if its too wet then my hair will take a day and a half to full absorb everything.
I also have been using some of the salves from nightbloomings shop. :)
Of all the leave ins, so far this method has done my hair the best.

Aredhel
September 3rd, 2017, 02:47 PM
Are you cone free?
I have been doing LOC/LCO with a shea moisture rose conditioner, i dont know why but its really really foamy - very light. Silicone free.
Very strong smell but it works, I usually use it after a shower but on semi dry hair because if its too wet then my hair will take a day and a half to full absorb everything.
I also have been using some of the salves from nightbloomings shop. :)
Of all the leave ins, so far this method has done my hair the best.

Nah unfortunately I can't function without cones (tried it and it was a complete disaster lol), I love NightBlooming's salves too (I use the panacea), so I'm after a product that I can use before the salve.
I will look into the shea moisture rose conditioner, it sounds like what I might be looking for. I'm okay with a cone-free leave-in if my regular condish has cones. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

AspenSong
September 3rd, 2017, 02:52 PM

For me, Andalou Naturals Argan Oil plus Leave in, is awesome. I love love love that. I've been using the Not Your Mothers Smoothing Cream - Coconut and Marula Oil one too and it's not bad either.

Aredhel
September 3rd, 2017, 04:01 PM
For me, Andalou Naturals Argan Oil plus Leave in, is awesome. I love love love that. I've been using the Not Your Mothers Smoothing Cream - Coconut and Marula Oil one too and it's not bad either.

Ooh this looks really nice too! I just found it on Amazon for quite cheap. :) I'm guessing it's pretty light? I have an issue where most products tend to make my hair look stringy, because the bottom half of my hair is quite thin.

Seventy7
September 3rd, 2017, 10:48 PM
I use a little HE Hello Hydration on wet hair as leave in. And I try to remember to add one drop of oil on damp hair. Two drops is too much, that will make my hair stringy.

lilelf
October 18th, 2017, 11:38 AM

I do! I do! Lol.
I have been using the Palmer's Olive Oil leave in for a while now and while it hasn't necessarily helped with fullness, it has helped TREMENDOUSLY with hydration and even a bit with strength. My hair is quite dry and damaged ( not to mention as tangle prone as fine thread) and most things with cones make it feel worse after a day, but not this. HIH. :)

tjaska88
October 18th, 2017, 12:07 PM

I usually use, on damp hair Frizz Ease from Frieda. Cca.10€ and it lasrs long. with hydralized protein-my hair adores it. Its a violett bottle (spray).

lucid
October 18th, 2017, 03:49 PM

I use biolage hydrasource mask as a leave in (I use a coney serum or detangling spray on top as well, for extra slip). It doesn't build up, and really adds tons of moisture. It doesn't get sticky either, and I can re-apply it in between washes without my hair getting "producty" :p

My hair is super prone to buildup and gets weighted down easily, and this product works for me!

I had dry lengths until I started doing that, after tips from you guys :)

Just realized it was an old post I quoted, and I think you were the one that recommended Andalou Naturals Argan Oil plus Leave to me, Aredhel when I asked about the same in another thread. :p I want to try that one, especially after seeing several fine haired people liking it :)

Aredhel
October 18th, 2017, 05:25 PM
I use biolage hydrasource mask as a leave in (I use a coney serum or detangling spray on top as well, for extra slip). It doesn't build up, and really adds tons of moisture. It doesn't get sticky either, and I can re-apply it in between washes without my hair getting "producty" :p

My hair is super prone to buildup and gets weighted down easily, and this product works for me!

I had dry lengths until I started doing that, after tips from you guys :)

Just realized it was an old post I quoted, and I think you were the one that recommended Andalou Naturals Argan Oil plus Leave to me, Aredhel when I asked about the same in another thread. :p I want to try that one, especially after seeing several fine haired people liking it :)
No worries Lucid! I'm always open to hearing more tips from other fine-hairs on here... I actually have a whole jar of the Biolage Hydrasource mask that I don't really use anymore since I started using other conditioners, so I'll give it a try as a leave-in sometime... gotta use it up somehow. :D You should totally try the Andalou one though if you can get your hands on it, I'm still really loving it! My ends always look so luscious now (and bouncy when I have bun waves!), instead of straw-like and limp like they used to be... :o

lucid
October 19th, 2017, 03:09 AM
Then I would definately try it as a leave in under coney stuff (it doesn't provide that much slip by it own, only moisture). I never use it as originally intended anymore (rinse out mask), it's so much better as a leave in, and it's also cheaper since less product is needed. :D

I will try to get hold of it, it sounds amazing. Shipping from the us can be crazy expensive, so it greatly limits were I can put in an order unfortunately.

wanderer743
December 20th, 2017, 11:50 AM
Do any of you do anything extra (i.e. more than conditioner) on your ends? I'm asking because I have thin or fine hair that's prone to breakage and it seems no matter what I do my ends just keep splitting or having those white dots (which I believe indicates a split?).
My routine currently is to just wash and condition ends every other day, to comb out my hair with either a TT or a wet brush, and to wear my hair constantly up.
I have tried (well for a week or two) oiling the ends but I don't really understand when to oil (before or after or between washing) and how it is supposed to help.

Lizabeth94
December 20th, 2017, 01:47 PM
I dont have fine hair, mine grows medium on the crown of my head and framing my face, and very coarse in the back like a horse's tail. Its also iii, and i hate it. Im super envious of you guys with your fine i/ii hair! :thud: I get migraines and when my hair is long i have to thin it out drastically or it gets too heavy. Ive even gone as far as using thinning scissors, layers, and undercuts all at the same time to make it lighter. :rolleyes: if my hair was super fine i could grow it as long as i want and wear it up as much as i want, and it wouldnt bother my migraines one bit.

Lady Stardust
December 20th, 2017, 02:05 PM
Do any of you do anything extra (i.e. more than conditioner) on your ends? I'm asking because I have thin or fine hair that's prone to breakage and it seems no matter what I do my ends just keep splitting or having those white dots (which I believe indicates a split?).
My routine currently is to just wash and condition ends every other day, to comb out my hair with either a TT or a wet brush, and to wear my hair constantly up.
I have tried (well for a week or two) oiling the ends but I don't really understand when to oil (before or after or between washing) and how it is supposed to help.

My hair is very fragile too. I've realised that I need to add more moisture. I've tried a few things out, including using sweet almond oil before I shampoo - it's too heavy to use after shampooing, for me. I'm not an expert on oils but I think that the oil helps to retain moisture, rather than adding moisture. I've stopped using it for now though because my hair seemed to be attracting lint!

My current routine is CWC with Noughty Rise and Shine Shampoo and conditioner, which is sulphate and silicone free. I then use Body Shop Rainforest detangler, and a dab of Nightblooming Ostara salve on the ends. So, that's 3 conditioners really! It's certainly helping to get more moisture, and I think I need all the help I can get as I'm very prone to splits.

I've recently started finger detangling too and that has been a real eye opener. I realise now that I used to pull through knots, even though I did it slowly and used a wide tooth comb from the bottom up, I would still have been creating mechanical damage. I'm much more aware now that I'm using my fingers instead.

I think I'm just going to live with the fact that my hair splits easily, and find a balance between protecting it, and enjoying it. I look forward to it being long enough to put up, it's not quite there yet.

Cg
December 20th, 2017, 02:21 PM

I all-over pre-EVOO on wash days (once a week) and add 3 drops of argan oil to the ends after microfiber towel. In winter I also put 1:1 diluted conditioner on the last 10" every other night, or just whenever the whim strikes. Any conditioner intended for "dry or damaged hair" works.

If you have sufficient length, you might consider doing scalp-only washes since you wash so frequently. This spares the ends unnecessary manipulation.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 20th, 2017, 02:33 PM

I use Lapushka's ROO method (it's in her signature) :) It works very well for me, I hardly ever see a split end.

Futurapunzel
December 21st, 2017, 07:10 AM
Hi I'm new and I'd like to join this thread! I have very fine hair with a 2.2 inch pony circumference. Some old bleach damage on the last few inches which doesn't help! My ends LOVE any conditioner or serum with dimethicone high on the ingredients list.

lapushka
December 21st, 2017, 07:49 AM
I use Lapushka's ROO method (it's in her signature) :) It works very well for me, I hardly ever see a split end.

Yep, it is all in the signature. If your hair is fine and thin, I would use 5 drops of oil at the most and see what that does - you don't have to use a lot of oil, especially not after washing, which is key for this method. But the rest is in my signature. :flower:

DweamGoiL
December 21st, 2017, 11:47 AM
I know many people use the terms thin and fine interchangeably, but they are actually quite different. Thin hair is a diminished amount of actual hair strands or follicles while fine hair is when each individual strand has a thickness below what is deemed in the normal range so this particular texture is rather prone to mechanical/chemical damage. Hence, it is possible to have fine, but thick hair.

My hair is now on the lower end of medium strand-wise, but it's mostly because of years of henna-ing, but it still behaves as fine hair. Heavy conditioners weigh it down and it's super tangley if left to its own devices. My virgin hair is fine, but in my youth in particular, it was quite thick. It's thinned somewhat with age due to genetics and henna has obliterated my waves, but looking at the pictures below vs my signature will give you a pretty good illustration.

Virgin Hair 2002

https://i.imgur.com/FI3v5uO.jpg

Virgin Hair 2003

https://i.imgur.com/6DlmU0f.jpg

Natashap
December 26th, 2017, 06:52 AM
I know many people use the terms thin and fine interchangeably, but they are actually quite different. Thin hair is a diminished amount of actual hair strands or follicles while fine hair is when each individual strand has a thickness below what is deemed in the normal range so this particular texture is rather prone to mechanical/chemical damage. Hence, it is possible to have fine, but thick hair.

My hair is now on the lower end of medium strand-wise, but it's mostly because of years of henna-ing, but it still behaves as fine hair. Heavy conditioners weigh it down and it's super tangley if left to its own devices. My virgin hair is fine, but in my youth in particular, it was quite thick. It's thinned somewhat with age due to genetics and henna has obliterated my waves, but looking at the pictures below vs my signature will give you a pretty good illustration.

Virgin Hair 2002

Virgin Hair 2003

You have lovely long hair !!!

DweamGoiL
December 26th, 2017, 10:16 AM
Thanks, Natashap, but my hair is not quite as lush as it was in the example pictures anymore.

Chiquita Banana
December 26th, 2017, 05:29 PM

Virgin Hair 2002

Virgin Hair 2003

Yes! You are exactly right. I have very fine hair, but lots of it (although it isn't as thick now as it was when I was younger!).

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 26th, 2017, 07:40 PM
Are there fine hairs here that cannot or don’t stretch trims?
If you do, how long until you can’t anymore?
I feel like I start to see lots more breakage around 3/4 months so that’s when I usually try to trim but I’ve been micro trimming the last 6 months or so. And so far, it’s been ok.
None the less, I still need to s&d and such. Still see breakage.

So do fine hairs here believe trimming has helped their growth??

school of fish
December 27th, 2017, 05:54 AM
I feel like I start to see lots more breakage around 3/4 months so that’s when I usually try to trim but I’ve been micro trimming the last 6 months or so. And so far, it’s been ok.

Yes, me! But I think you know that about me already ;)

I would probably be okay with trims every 3 months, but I just really like doing it monthly. 6 months is definitely too long a stretch for me - ends get raggedy by that point.

I've microtrimmed monthly for 4 years now - anywhere between dusting and 1/2", depending on whether I've wanted to grow or maintain. I started with extremely parched, damaged, breaking hair, and I'm pretty sure I was still seeing fairly regular breakage until about the 2-1/2 year mark or so. Over time the most damaged, broken ends got trimmed out and then breakage started reducing more visibly. It's been a process... :p

DweamGoiL
December 27th, 2017, 10:15 AM

I can go indefinitely, but yes, the ends start to suffer after some time. I am not sure it's breakage so much, but the sides of my hair tend to grow at different rates and it become more noticeable the more time I don't trim back. I would say between 6-9 months it's time to trim back for thickness if you like a more substantial trim vs microtrimming. I had a lot of success in the past with microtrims, but it takes patience because you can't really see your progress as quickly. Now, I'd rather just let it grow and then trim back a couple of inches 1-2 times a year.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 27th, 2017, 11:17 AM
I can go indefinitely, but yes, the ends start to suffer after some time. I am not sure it's breakage so much, but the sides of my hair tend to grow at different rates and it become more noticeable the more time I don't trim back. I would say between 6-9 months it's time to trim back for thickness if you like a more substantial trim vs microtrimming. I had a lot of success in the past with microtrims, but it takes patience because you can't really see your progress as quickly. Now, I'd rather just let it grow and then trim back a couple of inches 1-2 times a year.

I have that same issue! My sides grow very slow. And they never stay up and away.
I’ve debated on switching to that same trimming schedule but didn’t think my hair could handle it.

Beeboo123
December 27th, 2017, 11:32 AM

That sounds just like me. My hair gets more and more tapered, mehh

Taliesin
January 1st, 2018, 02:31 PM
Returning to the forums after ages away, checking into the thread here (hello everyone!) with a question; I recently tried a sulfate-free shampoo (L'Oreal EverStrong) to see if it would change/improve the condition of my hair and it seems to have had a weird effect. My hair gets a ton of volume but almost seems to stick together, quite close to the scalp even. I don't think it's tangled, it's weird. I've used it a few times and been sure to rinse super thoroughly and used it with a couple of different conditioners to no avail. Have any of you with fine hair had this effect with sulfate-free shampoo or is this maybe just the wrong brand for me? Is there a way to combat the stick-togetherness? The extra volume is kinda nice so I don't really want to give up on it totally just yet.

Taliesin
January 1st, 2018, 02:43 PM

I've recently pushed my trims back from every 3 months to 6 months (beginning of February will be next trim) to push for length and so far so good. Not sure if this will end up being a successful experiment; my ends look "ok" right now but it's getting to the point of "needing" a trim! I think I've also accepted that there is ALWAYS going to be some breakage with my super-fine hair, as long as it's not too noticeable or tangling too badly. I think 6 months is my absolute maximum I can leave it. After February my only trim planned for 2018 is August, then I'll re-evaluate in 2019. Fingers crossed haha

Dendra
January 1st, 2018, 02:50 PM
Returning to the forums after ages away, checking into the thread here (hello everyone!) with a question; I recently tried a sulfate-free shampoo (L'Oreal EverStrong) to see if it would change/improve the condition of my hair and it seems to have had a weird effect. My hair gets a ton of volume but almost seems to stick together, quite close to the scalp even. I don't think it's tangled, it's weird. I've used it a few times and been sure to rinse super thoroughly and used it with a couple of different conditioners to no avail. Have any of you with fine hair had this effect with sulfate-free shampoo or is this maybe just the wrong brand for me? Is there a way to combat the stick-togetherness? The extra volume is kinda nice so I don't really want to give up on it totally just yet.

It had the same effect on me (except I used the one for dyed hair I think), it made my hair sort of like a brush or a doormat or something. Very unusual. Like you I liked the overall effect of the shampoo so I didn't really mind. I guess I just fingercombed the 'brush' texture out of my hair, it was mostly at the roots and a few inches down, I don't think my lengths were stuck together.

wispe
January 1st, 2018, 03:30 PM

I used this, loved it at first, but noticed my hair sticking together/feeling tacky and coated after a few weeks. Had to clarify and drop it from my routine.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 1st, 2018, 03:40 PM

You need to clarify the hair before going SLS free.
Without the sulphates you get build up. And what you’re describing to me sounds like build up.

Lady Stardust
January 1st, 2018, 05:49 PM
Without the sulphates you get build up. And what you’re describing to me sounds like build up.

I agree with this, and even after clarifying I found that it took a week or two to adjust to a new SLS free shampoo, even switching from one SLS free to another (because the shampoo I switched too was much more gentle). I think I had to shampoo 3 times for a couple of washes and then twice each time I washed after that. I wash every 2-3 days.

Lady Stardust
January 1st, 2018, 05:56 PM

I trim half an inch every 3 months, but the last couple of inches of my hair need TLC so I don't dare stretch it past that. When those couple of inches have been trimmed out, and my hair is long enough to wear up in protective styles, I might try stretching trims further. At the moment, I'm happy with my trim schedule because I always see growth and don't use a chunk of length.

I used to have a pixie and have a haircut every 6 weeks so I'm proud of myself for stretching to 12-13 weeks :-)

Wavybrunetteuk
January 1st, 2018, 07:18 PM

I posted in the LOC thread about product build-up in the roots during co washing. I realised I accidentally used a conditioner with silicones inside... then used my silicone-free conditioner. No wonder I got build up that day! Because this is exactly what happened to my hair too.

Taliesin
January 1st, 2018, 07:39 PM

Hmmmm, sounds like everyone's thinking along the same lines. I've never really done much clarifying before (if any, come to think of it). Does anyone have a favourite product/method they would recommend?

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 1st, 2018, 07:41 PM
Hmmmm, sounds like everyone's thinking along the same lines. I've never really done much clarifying before (if any, come to think of it). Does anyone have a favourite product/method they would recommend?

Suave makes a very inexpensive clarifying shampoo.

renia22
January 2nd, 2018, 06:34 AM

If you're finding your hair isn't getting longer due to breakage I think more trims would help. For me, I can't go more than 2 months without a trim without feeling like I need one. I don't really get breakage, but my hair starts to feel all thin and yucky if I go too long.

I can't do sulfate free because of the sticky/ matted dry feeling almost everything I had tried did to my hair, but as far as clarifying, my favorite is Paul Mitchell shampoo 3. It's both clarifying and chelating. Depends on your water, I suppose, but I've tried a ton of clarifying shampoos and I always seem to go back to that one.

lapushka
January 2nd, 2018, 07:10 AM

Maybe you can't go sulfate-free at all? Have you tried clarifying with a sulfate shampoo? I would do so anyway, because it sounds a *lot* like build-up.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 2nd, 2018, 11:29 AM
If you're finding your hair isn't getting longer due to breakage I think more trims would help. For me, I can't go more than 2 months without a trim without feeling like I need one. I don't really get breakage, but my hair starts to feel all thin and yucky if I go too long.

I can't do sulfate free because of the sticky/ matted dry feeling almost everything I had tried did to my hair, but as far as clarifying, my favorite is Paul Mitchell shampoo 3. It's both clarifying and chelating. Depends on your water, I suppose, but I've tried a ton of clarifying shampoos and I always seem to go back to that one.

My problem is the trims aren’t catching all the splits. Some of the splitting hairs or bent ends or ends that have already broken off are actually a good inch or two above my hemline. So when I micro trim I am catching maybe 2-3 splits and the rest get missed. And then I try s&d which I’m honestly too blind to do for too long. So they don’t all get caught. None seem to travel up too far which is good but for me it’s like, why bother micro trimming if I’m not catching all the breakage when I do.
I’m tempted to stretch trims as long as I can to just s&d the rest of the year since my breakage is all over the place.

renia22
January 2nd, 2018, 12:30 PM
^ Oh yes, the S&D sounds like a good idea in that case!

girlcat36
January 3rd, 2018, 08:25 AM
Microtrimming didn't do much for me. I never saw any difference.
But I hardly ever have splits, not sure why. ��
I only trim if my hair gets Velcro-y at the ends, which might be 2-4 times a year.

erebus
January 3rd, 2018, 02:40 PM
Not sure if this is the right thread to post it, but I have fine / thin hair so why not.
My part has this funny shape and I can't fix it:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29733&d=1515014922

If you're wondering why I simply don't comb it the way I want, the answer is that when my hair is newly washed I can kinda comb it so it doesn't show, but on day 2 or later (as in the picture) I see that nothing's actually changed. If I try to comb it to the side on those days the hair simply refuses to cover that part and it makes me wonder if it's actually a bald spot or something. It will look like this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29732&d=1515014922), or even as bad as this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29731&d=1515014922) (scalp warning).

Today I tried for a long time to comb it the 'right' way and the only result is that my scalp hurts. I noticed though that the trouble area is right under where the band of my headphones rest on my head. Could that be what caused it in the first place? I wear my headphones for several hours per day.

If anyone has any advice I'd much appreciate it.

lapushka
January 3rd, 2018, 03:38 PM
Not sure if this is the right thread to post it, but I have fine / thin hair so why not.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29733&d=1515014922

If you're wondering why I simply don't comb it the way I want, the answer is that when my hair is newly washed I can kinda comb it so it doesn't show, but on day 2 or later (as in the picture) I see that nothing's actually changed. If I try to comb it to the side on those days the hair simply refuses to cover that part and it makes me wonder if it's actually a bald spot or something. It will look like this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29732&d=1515014922), or even as bad as this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29731&d=1515014922) (scalp warning).

Today I tried for a long time to comb it the 'right' way and the only result is that my scalp hurts. I noticed though that the trouble area is right under where the band of my headphones rest on my head. Could that be what caused it in the first place? I wear my headphones for several hours per day.

Looks like that is your "natural" part; not much you can do about that, but it's quite great that it parts that way. My mom combs her hair (also has thin fine hair) about from half of her head backwards, so like you in the picture. It hugely helps with the thin part in covering that up, in fact.

Alissalocks
January 7th, 2018, 08:24 AM
I started micro trimming last summer after nearly a year of no trims, but bc I'm growing out layers it's a necessary evil. The microtrims did help keep my racers in check, so I looked less scraggly overall on my hemline. But I don't think the no trimming period was helpful for my hair, it created another false layer with those racers taking off. And it's so thin that it bothered me, even though I try to tell myself, "Fairy tale ends!" It still just looks scraggly to me. :shrug:

Silverbleed
January 7th, 2018, 08:43 AM
[photo]

When I see thinning at my scalp because of a way I've been wearing it, I change sides before I step into the shower. Then I comb it a little better after I showered but that's about it.
Once it's dry, there is no way I'm able to change it, I can comb as much as I'd want but after a while it'll go back in place as how it dried. And it'll stay that way until I shower again (just wetting isn't enough either).

I learned combing after the shower alone doesn't do enough for me either. So I really have to change it before I shower as well. Not sure why this is but eh, it works.

I swap sides about once a month, and that works really well for me. If you want to prevent your hair from moving back into it's original spot while it dries, you could tie it up. in for example braids or buns.

wannabe-rusalka
January 20th, 2018, 06:35 PM
Newbie here- I have very baby fine hair that's not quite thin but more medium that looks thin because I have a lot of old breakage at the ends. Whats made the most difference in your fine/thin hair? I feel as though I need some advice from my LHC elders.

Groovy Granny
January 20th, 2018, 11:05 PM
My silver/white has come in very fine and wispy, but thankfully it has not thinned as I expected it would...in fact I gained .5" circ :thud:

Groovy Granny
January 20th, 2018, 11:08 PM
Newbie here- I have very baby fine hair that's not quite thin but more medium that looks thin because I have a lot of old breakage at the ends. Whats made the most difference in your fine/thin hair? I feel as though I need some advice from my LHC elders.

For being fine and wispy, my hair is surprisingly strong with no splits :hmm:

I condition it in the shower, then when damp put a dab of conditioner, then a few drops of oil, followed by biosilk lite serum from the ears down, and that's it :shrug:

poli
January 20th, 2018, 11:59 PM
Whats made the most difference in your fine/thin hair?

The most beneficial for me are:
- micro trimming regularly
- not brushing wet hair, only using tangle teaser when completely dry
- using serums on the ends
also because my hair was damaged and still gets dry ends:
- lots and lots of moisturising conditioners (I use CWC method)
- rinsing the products very well with lots of water

UP Lisa
January 23rd, 2018, 09:17 AM

Mostly just being very gentle with it. Trying to keep it from tangling as much as possible. Not coming at all. Conditioning with rich, thick conditioners. Trimming regularly.

Lady Stardust
January 23rd, 2018, 09:32 AM
Mostly just being very gentle with it. Trying to keep it from tangling as much as possible. Not coming at all. Conditioning with rich, thick conditioners. Trimming regularly.

All of this applies to my hair too. I've been doing the LOC/LCO method after conditioning, but only using a finger dab of product to avoid weighing my hair down (my hair is only just above my shoulders so product overload is always a risk).

The only other thing I do is to cover my hair when it's very hot or very cold, because it's very prone to splitting and any physical protection I give it can only help.

lunasea
January 23rd, 2018, 11:01 AM
How truly sad is this. My hair has been really dry and tangly at the ends so I just gave up and chopped about 3.5 inches. This is ALL of it. And it's pretty much this thin for at least a foot above where I chopped. Granted, I haven't cut in a loooong time but this is kinda ridiculous. And yes, there are actually a few hairs there that are about 4 inches but they are so fine that you can't see them. You can barely see the ones at 3.5 inches.
Given how fine and thin my hair is I kinda feel like I should be the queen of this thread or something. :nono:
https://i.imgur.com/6YVwR3i.jpg?1

erebus
January 23rd, 2018, 02:21 PM
When I see thinning at my scalp because of a way I've been wearing it, I change sides before I step into the shower. Then I comb it a little better after I showered but that's about it.
Once it's dry, there is no way I'm able to change it, I can comb as much as I'd want but after a while it'll go back in place as how it dried. And it'll stay that way until I shower again (just wetting isn't enough either).

I learned combing after the shower alone doesn't do enough for me either. So I really have to change it before I shower as well. Not sure why this is but eh, it works.

I swap sides about once a month, and that works really well for me. If you want to prevent your hair from moving back into it's original spot while it dries, you could tie it up. in for example braids or buns.
Thanks for the advice :)
I should try wearing my hair up I suppose, I never do it (partially because I just figure everyone would comment on it and I don't enjoy that) and I actually don't even have any hair ties haha :crazyq:

racheldelrey
January 23rd, 2018, 05:47 PM
Guys, I am so discouraged. My thin hair is being mean to me, haha. After being so good to it for months, deep conditioning, oil masks, no heat, careful combing, my ends are starting to look thin and brittle. They're not breaking when I comb or brush but they just look awful! I need to wear it up more but it's been so cold I just can't get myself to do it. I really don't want to trim because it's currently at collar bone length and I'm trying to regain length I lost from a huge chop last summer. Suggestions? I currently use mane and tail shampoo and mystic divine's nourishing mask. Im almost tempted to do dreads again because I feel like that's the only way to hide my scraggly ends!

wannabe-rusalka
January 23rd, 2018, 09:16 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice! This thread has really helped me accept my hair more and has reassured me that I can grow it long :)

AutobotsAttack
January 24th, 2018, 01:17 AM

Definitely agree with the gentleness. There’s no way in heck I would’ve been able to retain this much length if I was heavy handed. Even with doing a very simple cinnabun I have to be very gentle and not shoot my hands across my hair but just let my hand flow in my hair until it’s all put up.

I really enjoy the the thick and rich conditioner for deep conditioning, cowashing I have to use something light Because I cowash fairly regularly.

I will say that removing buildup is a big thing too for fine hair, because my ends I. Particular get build up and stiffen and will snap right on off if I do nothing about it.

Astia
January 24th, 2018, 05:19 AM
Guys, I am so discouraged. My thin hair is being mean to me, haha. After being so good to it for months, deep conditioning, oil masks, no heat, careful combing, my ends are starting to look thin and brittle. They're not breaking when I comb or brush but they just look awful! I need to wear it up more but it's been so cold I just can't get myself to do it. I really don't want to trim because it's currently at collar bone length and I'm trying to regain length I lost from a huge chop last summer. Suggestions? I currently use mane and tail shampoo and mystic divine's nourishing mask. Im almost tempted to do dreads again because I feel like that's the only way to hide my scraggly ends!

I doubt it's so bad, try using just a little bit of shea butter on the ends before going to bed, helps mine to recover and be soft and supple, it absorbs during night. Winter is hard on all hair, we just have to wait it out and all the rubbing and brushing against clothes, scarves and hats are lot to take. Careful detangling will help a lot. Wait at least for spring to micro trim if it bothers you too much. And the best advice I've read on this forum: we are our worst critics, others don't even notice the things we do. You don't have to hide your ends even if you don't like them, and it's not the worst thing under the sun, it's just hair and WILL grow back.

Theobroma
January 24th, 2018, 06:22 AM

Wear it up for the sake of your ends and wear scarves or shawlettes or something like that to keep the back of your neck warm. :)

I did that when I first started wearing it up all the time. It was winter and my neck would get really cold because it wasn't used to not being covered by my hair! It turned out to be an opportunity for me to show off all the lace shawlettes I'd been knitting. :)

Theobroma
January 24th, 2018, 06:29 AM
How truly sad is this. My hair has been really dry and tangly at the ends so I just gave up and chopped about 3.5 inches. This is ALL of it. And it's pretty much this thin for at least a foot above where I chopped. Granted, I haven't cut in a loooong time but this is kinda ridiculous. And yes, there are actually a few hairs there that are about 4 inches but they are so fine that you can't see them. You can barely see the ones at 3.5 inches.
Given how fine and thin my hair is I kinda feel like I should be the queen of this thread or something. :nono:

The bolded bit was me for YEARS. (Thanks, CO washing that cost me 40% of my hair and set me back by about six years on my quest to grow out my taper.) I'm a solid ii but you'd never have known it because the taper started at the nape, went to around waist or so, and from there down to tailbone/classic it was all the same thickness but barely as thick as a pencil. So you are not alone!

I'm still regrowing and still have at least a foot of hair to microtrim off before all the shed damage is gone. It's a marathon, not a sprint...

tangocurl
January 24th, 2018, 02:03 PM

Your color is beautiful.

Ellethwyn
January 24th, 2018, 04:51 PM
Lunasea, i went through the same thing a couple months ago. My hair is so much happier now, though, because of it! I also switched to a better shampoo and conditioner. My ends were so brittle and riddled with split ends. I think im going on 3 or 4 months now since trimming and my hair has never been healthier. No more split ends or brittleness.

teal
January 25th, 2018, 12:48 AM

Yup, this pic is very much like my trims! Also thin like that for more than a foot above my hemline! You're not alone!! :grouphug:

Also, since you had not trimmed for such a long while before, you may notice that your new hemline stays a little thicker and your next trim will have a bit more hair if the interval between trims is shorter than before.

AspenSong
January 25th, 2018, 08:43 AM
Lunasea - I had Seeshami trim about I don't know 6-8" off back some months ago, the whole amount of what got trimmed off was like yours! There was just nothing there! It's just a fine/thin hair thing. *hug*

lunasea
January 25th, 2018, 10:21 AM
Thank you folks :grouphug: Sometimes I feel like I'm so alone out here. I've really been fighting the scalp cleavage lately (I think some of it is because I let my hair fall naturally as it dries) and it's been just gruesome. I was at the store the other day and there was a girl with two braids- each one of which was 4 times as thick as all the hair on my head and I just got so sad. Most of the time I'm alright and accept what I have but some days it just hits you in the face. It doesn't help that I've started to watch the new season of Frankie and Grace. I know both of those actresses are wearing hairpieces but they are both older than me and look like they have sooo much hair. Totally depressing. At least I have hair right? And even after the trim it still hits my waist. I also feel kind of lucky that I started growing it when I did. If I had kept it short, folks would be seeing a lot more of my scalp. Maybe I'll trying clipping it over as it dries and see if that helps. It is what it is.

Kake
January 25th, 2018, 10:43 AM
I have the scalp cleavage issue too, you're certainly not on you own there :(

I wish there was an answer, I really do.

bparnell75
January 25th, 2018, 11:09 AM
I have the scalp cleavage issue too, you're certainly not on you own there :(

I wish there was an answer, I really do.

I keep reminding you ladies of the Cabooki product which covers scalp cleavage. It really is not too expensive, lasts a long time and comes in lots of colors. I have massive cleavage most days and use it to make me feel better, It is a keratin fiber powder and blends in well. Just google it and get you some!! Since it does not do any good to cry over our thin and getting thinner hair.

Also Sally's sells a similiar product called Toppix. I have used both and they are very similiar.

bparnell75
January 25th, 2018, 11:13 AM
Lunasea - I had Seeshami trim about I don't know 6-8" off back some months ago, the whole amount of what got trimmed off was like yours! There was just nothing there! It's just a fine/thin hair thing. *hug*

My last trim was exactly the same and it still looks like that. You are far from being alone. But I like those small ends to wrap around my Spock buns. I just can't bring my self to chop of my length so tiny are the fairy tale ends for me too.

AspenSong
January 25th, 2018, 11:46 AM
Thank you folks :grouphug: Sometimes I feel like I'm so alone out here. I've really been fighting the scalp cleavage lately (I think some of it is because I let my hair fall naturally as it dries) and it's been just gruesome. I was at the store the other day and there was a girl with two braids- each one of which was 4 times as thick as all the hair on my head and I just got so sad. Most of the time I'm alright and accept what I have but some days it just hits you in the face. It doesn't help that I've started to watch the new season of Frankie and Grace. I know both of those actresses are wearing hairpieces but they are both older than me and look like they have sooo much hair. Totally depressing. At least I have hair right? And even after the trim it still hits my waist. I also feel kind of lucky that I started growing it when I did. If I had kept it short, folks would be seeing a lot more of my scalp. Maybe I'll trying clipping it over as it dries and see if that helps. It is what it is.

*Hugs* I know exactly what you mean on every bit of that. Scalp cleavage - got that! In fact today I've got a weird section on the side of my head where the hair just won't lay normal, I look like I buzzed a strip into the side of my head. I don't wear double braids really at all, or dutch braids...because of how bad the cleavage gets on me at times. I watch all the amazing tutorials from Torrin and such and know I can't do any of them really.
And I get seeing people with just a massive amount of hair and feeling like Eh. I go through that a lot. And I mean, I love her to death, but being friends with Seeshami in real life can be hard. lol. She's got SO much hair and it's so thick, and it's hard not to compare and be depressed. Doubly so when we're out and people are all commenting on her hair, and no one notices mine. Even if we both have our hair down. I'm invisible. It s*cks.
But, you're right - at least we all HAVE hair!! :D
And I try to see the good side. I don't have crazy headaches or many problems with weight of buns. And while some hair toys don't work as well at a certain length on me, I DO still have my first set of hairsticks I ever bought from Ead in 5" and I can totally still wear them in a Beebutt bun. lol. So it's not often I grow out of anything!

lunasea
January 25th, 2018, 12:09 PM
I keep reminding you ladies of the Cabooki product which covers scalp cleavage. It really is not too expensive, lasts a long time and comes in lots of colors. I have massive cleavage most days and use it to make me feel better, It is a keratin fiber powder and blends in well. Just google it and get you some!! Since it does not do any good to cry over our thin and getting thinner hair.

Also Sally's sells a similiar product called Toppix. I have used both and they are very similiar.

I have some of that but it gets in weird clumps on my head and itches. I really don't use it much.

*Hugs* I know exactly what you mean on every bit of that. Scalp cleavage - got that! In fact today I've got a weird section on the side of my head where the hair just won't lay normal, I look like I buzzed a strip into the side of my head. I don't wear double braids really at all, or dutch braids...because of how bad the cleavage gets on me at times. I watch all the amazing tutorials from Torrin and such and know I can't do any of them really.
And I get seeing people with just a massive amount of hair and feeling like Eh. I go through that a lot. And I mean, I love her to death, but being friends with Seeshami in real life can be hard. lol. She's got SO much hair and it's so thick, and it's hard not to compare and be depressed. Doubly so when we're out and people are all commenting on her hair, and no one notices mine. Even if we both have our hair down. I'm invisible. It s*cks.
But, you're right - at least we all HAVE hair!! :D
And I try to see the good side. I don't have crazy headaches or many problems with weight of buns. And while some hair toys don't work as well at a certain length on me, I DO still have my first set of hairsticks I ever bought from Ead in 5" and I can totally still wear them in a Beebutt bun. lol. So it's not often I grow out of anything!

I get that you and Seeshami are friends and I can see why 'cause she seems to be a force of nature. I also get how hard it must be looking at the NM some days. But yeah, there are some advantages. I could do most buns at shoulder length because there was so little to bulk up a fold. And yeah, growing out of hairtoys just doesn't happen.

Wendyp
January 25th, 2018, 06:26 PM
For being fine and wispy, my hair is surprisingly strong with no splits :hmm:

I condition it in the shower, then when damp put a dab of conditioner, then a few drops of oil, followed by biosilk lite serum from the ears down, and that's it :shrug:

Are u leaving conditioner in and not rinsing? I thought it would leave ends brittle or something?

AutobotsAttack
January 25th, 2018, 06:49 PM
Are u leaving conditioner in and not rinsing? I thought it would leave ends brittle or something?

I know some do. Espeacially the very heavy ones with oils and fatty acids. I know for me personally if I have one with heavy cones in it they virtually block out any moisture from getting in.

teal
January 28th, 2018, 11:45 AM
Hey Lunasea, check this out if you're still feeling a little lonesome about your trim:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=34987&p=3280775&viewfull=1#post3280775

Pretty much every trim ever for me, at this length. ;) :grouphug:

bparnell75
February 6th, 2018, 12:14 PM
When I am feeling bad about my hair loss and my thin long tresses, I watch this gal. She went through a huge shed, but still does lovely things with her thin hair. Good for you Emi. This tutorial is for a celtic knot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUQAucReptY

Beeboo123
February 6th, 2018, 12:33 PM
It makes me so sad when I come across old photos and see how much hair I used to have. I lost so much over the years. My health is fine.

I’ve been cowashing the past couple of months, and I need to know if I have been losing hair, but I am afraid to measure it.

UP Lisa
February 6th, 2018, 01:14 PM
It makes me so sad when I come across old photos and see how much hair I used to have. I lost so much over the years. My health is fine.

I’ve been cowashing the past couple of months, and I need to know if I have been losing hair, but I am afraid to measure it.

In my opinion, clogging up the hair follicles with conditioners is not the best way to hold onto one's hair.

wannabe-rusalka
February 6th, 2018, 06:05 PM
Does anyone else here notice that when you wear a certain color shirt that it looks like your ends are super see through or nonexistent? :( This happened today, I was wearing white and I got an instant urge to chop although I am resisting. When I wear dark colors my ends look fine.

Beeboo123
February 6th, 2018, 09:13 PM
UP Lisa I know! But I get the best waves from that, else I have a lot of frizz. I count the number of shed hairs everyday, nothing abnormal or alarming so far, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Do you think a ponytail measurement is necessary to determine if I am losing hair?

wannabe-rusalka Nope, I haven’t noticed, but maybe that’s because my hair is nearly black, and can hardly be seen on dark colored shirts. What color is yours?

diddiedaisy
February 7th, 2018, 05:30 AM
Does anyone else here notice that when you wear a certain color shirt that it looks like your ends are super see through or nonexistent? :( This happened today, I was wearing white and I got an instant urge to chop although I am resisting. When I wear dark colors my ends look fine.

I’ve got blonde hair and it’s looks awful with light colours, if I’m going to wear it down I have wear dark clothing. It does make you feel like getting the scissors out!!! :)

school of fish
February 7th, 2018, 05:37 AM

Yes, for sure! There have been threads about this and people have posted pics showing the difference in the appearance of their ends between wearing a light coloured top vs a dark coloured one.

The effect comes about because of the level of contrast - the more contrast between the hair and the background, the more 'negative space' of the background the eye is going to see, so the ends of the hair appear wispier. When there is less contrast between the hair and background colour, the eye doesn't differentiate as much, so it 'fills in' the positive space and the hair appears fuller.

Generally speaking, those with lighter hair will look thicker wearing light colours and thinner against dark colours, and those with darker hair will look thicker wearing dark colours and thinner against lighter colours. Of course there's a relativity to all of this - those with thick ends all the way to the hem may not notice this effect as much, wheras those of us with thin strands may find quite a dramatic difference in the appearance of our ends depending upon what we're wearing. I certainly notice it myself :)

wannabe-rusalka
February 7th, 2018, 03:27 PM
UP Lisa I know! But I get the best waves from that, else I have a lot of frizz. I count the number of shed hairs everyday, nothing abnormal or alarming so far, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Do you think a ponytail measurement is necessary to determine if I am losing hair?

wannabe-rusalka Nope, I haven’t noticed, but maybe that’s because my hair is nearly black, and can hardly be seen on dark colored shirts. What color is yours?

My hair is a sort of tawny blonde- kind of dirty blonde with a little red in the summer months.

Thanks to everyone else who responded- I feel better knowing I'm not alone <3

wannabe-rusalka
February 7th, 2018, 03:30 PM
Yes, for sure! There have been threads about this and people have posted pics showing the difference in the appearance of their ends between wearing a light coloured top vs a dark coloured one.

The effect comes about because of the level of contrast - the more contrast between the hair and the background, the more 'negative space' of the background the eye is going to see, so the ends of the hair appear wispier. When there is less contrast between the hair and background colour, the eye doesn't differentiate as much, so it 'fills in' the positive space and the hair appears fuller.

Generally speaking, those with lighter hair will look thicker wearing light colours and thinner against dark colours, and those with darker hair will look thicker wearing dark colours and thinner against lighter colours. Of course there's a relativity to all of this - those with thick ends all the way to the hem may not notice this effect as much, wheras those of us with thin strands may find quite a dramatic difference in the appearance of our ends depending upon what we're wearing. I certainly notice it myself :)

This is really interesting because my hair is a sort of reddish dirty blonde- my hair seems disappear a lot against my extremely pale skin and it looks thicker when I wear dark colors. Luckily for me, I mostly wear dark colors :)

Natashap
February 7th, 2018, 07:15 PM
Impossible to comb my hair lately,also some days don't comb whole day.Next days its fairy knots and too much breakage .

Ellethwyn
February 9th, 2018, 10:09 PM
This is really interesting because my hair is a sort of reddish dirty blonde- my hair seems disappear a lot against my extremely pale skin and it looks thicker when I wear dark colors. Luckily for me, I mostly wear dark colors :)

Same here. My hair is blonde and my ends disappear when i wear light colored shirts. I mostly wear black, and my hem looks way better against black.

Babyfine
February 10th, 2018, 10:19 AM
My medium brown hair looks much better with dark shirts. I tend not to wear my hair down with light shirts, as the last several inches are see-through. Interesting that all hair colors, even lighter ones, seem to look better against dark shirts.

wannabe-rusalka
February 10th, 2018, 06:51 PM
My medium brown hair looks much better with dark shirts. I tend not to wear my hair down with light shirts, as the last several inches are see-through. Interesting that all hair colors, even lighter ones, seem to look better against dark shirts.

I can't help but feel like fine hair exacerbates this problem since our individual strands are so much smaller than medium and especially coarser hairs.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 10th, 2018, 07:25 PM
About half my length disappears if I wear a light shirt, so - I rarely do.

Glitch
February 10th, 2018, 08:15 PM
Yup, this pic is very much like my trims! Also thin like that for more than a foot above my hemline! You're not alone!! :grouphug:

Also, since you had not trimmed for such a long while before, you may notice that your new hemline stays a little thicker and your next trim will have a bit more hair if the interval between trims is shorter than before.

Definitely not alone <3 Sadly, I've chopped off large amounts of my hair nearly every year because I just couldn't stand the thin/straggly ends. Because of that, I've rarely ever had hair reach BSL, let alone pass it or even stay at BSL for long. However, for about a year now, I've been doing micro-trims/S&D sessions more frequently (without a proper hair cut) and my ends have surprisingly remained looking more like the healthier top part of my hair. I think it's helped a lot :) I am still nervous that my ends will go back to looking weak, ultra thin and brittle and that I'll once again cut it all off, but so far it's been going well. I think it would help you out if you kept your hair in up-do styles more often (out of sight, out of mind) and maybe a tiny bit of monthly up-keep micro trims instead of "massive" ones all at once many months later. Don't feel too bad though, again, I've done this way too many times -just know you'll eventually reach your goals with the right determination :heartbeat

wannabe-rusalka
February 10th, 2018, 09:05 PM
Definitely not alone <3 Sadly, I've chopped off large amounts of my hair nearly every year because I just couldn't stand the thin/straggly ends. Because of that, I've rarely ever had hair reach BSL, let alone pass it or even stay at BSL for long. However, for about a year now, I've been doing micro-trims/S&D sessions more frequently (without a proper hair cut) and my ends have surprisingly remained looking more like the healthier top part of my hair. I think it's helped a lot :) I am still nervous that my ends will go back to looking weak, ultra thin and brittle and that I'll once again cut it all off, but so far it's been going well. I think it would help you out if you kept your hair in up-do styles more often (out of sight, out of mind) and maybe a tiny bit of monthly up-keep micro trims instead of "massive" ones all at once many months later. Don't feel too bad though, again, I've done this way too many times -just know you'll eventually reach your goals with the right determination :heartbeat
I'm so glad that I'm not alone in this! I also have chopped off large bits of hair because it looked thin. Microtrims seemed to be helping me but then I joined a challenge not to trim my hair for 6 months and I could already see my ends getting thinner. Just trimmed an inch today though because my hair got cut in a zipper and I couldn't get it out without causing major damage- my ends look pretty nice right now! I shall resume my micro trimming schedule of just dusting my hair once a month to keep the ends nice and fresh.

Glitch
February 12th, 2018, 03:57 PM
I'm so glad that I'm not alone in this! I also have chopped off large bits of hair because it looked thin. Microtrims seemed to be helping me but then I joined a challenge not to trim my hair for 6 months and I could already see my ends getting thinner. Just trimmed an inch today though because my hair got cut in a zipper and I couldn't get it out without causing major damage- my ends look pretty nice right now! I shall resume my micro trimming schedule of just dusting my hair once a month to keep the ends nice and fresh.

Yeah, I think frequent tiny trims definitely help out finer types of hair to remain healthy and not appear straggly :) I'm glad they look good, best of luck to you!

FineMiracle
February 12th, 2018, 07:06 PM
How do any of you guys feel about goat hair brushes? Like hair brushes used for infants? I'm wondering if I can use this instead of a BBB, so it'd be like the gentlest version possible?

FineMiracle
February 12th, 2018, 07:08 PM
I haven't trimmed in...I don't even want to say how long because it's been too long. I'm not sure how much to cut, but I know it needs it. I don't want the split ends to travel upwards, but I'm also paranoid about cutting off healthy hair. :P

(Sorry for the double posts...I wish we could edit on here!)

Arctic
February 12th, 2018, 11:42 PM
(Sorry for the double posts...I wish we could edit on here!)

You should be able to edit now, I notice from your profile that you have just reached the next privilege tier, and are now "member" who can edit, instead of newbie who can't.

AutobotsAttack
February 13th, 2018, 02:29 AM
How do any of you guys feel about goat hair brushes? Like hair brushes used for infants? I'm wondering if I can use this instead of a BBB, so it'd be like the gentlest version possible?

I have one that I used to use. I really like it. My hair is rather thick while also being fine, so sometimes the bristles don’t reach everywhere. I find it great for distributing oils on my hair a bit better.

BBBs are good too, but I love the brushes for babies because they’re very gentle.

teal
February 15th, 2018, 02:18 PM

I personally can't use them... well, that is unless I want to spend a really long time separating my hair out into small sections for brushing. I have the same problem with BBBs. Even though I don't have a ton of hair, those bristles don't seem to go through my hair very well without a lot of assistance.

That said, I do enjoy BBBs for their oil-spreading abilities. So, they are certainly a purpose-built tool in my arsenal despite their usage requirements.

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 15th, 2018, 10:35 PM
Ugh after leaving my hair down for a day and a half I need a severe s&d session... lots of breakage and splits from wearing it down.
we rented a convertable and low and behold my hair was in knots for 2 days. did a deep treatment today and its much better but im about to sit down and take some shears to it. cant do a full trim til june and its getting hard because its so thin.. oh the woes of fine hair.

Ariel love
February 19th, 2018, 07:40 AM
Ugh after leaving my hair down for a day and a half I need a severe s&d session... lots of breakage and splits from wearing it down.
we rented a convertable and low and behold my hair was in knots for 2 days. did a deep treatment today and its much better but im about to sit down and take some shears to it. cant do a full trim til june and its getting hard because its so thin.. oh the woes of fine hair.
I can totally understand you in this thing. Had thin hair since childhood and it's a real struggle. 😩

wannabe-rusalka
February 20th, 2018, 02:33 PM
Do my ends look thin or is it just me?

https://i.imgur.com/Qb82fYr.png

Glitch
February 20th, 2018, 05:09 PM

Wow, your hair looks almost exactly like mine when I let it air dry without touching it! I think your ends look fine :) They don't look thin or bad to me, just some natural tapering. Your hair does seem more dense above the ends, but the thickness will most likely travel down as you continue taking care of your hair :flower:

Wavybrunetteuk
February 21st, 2018, 07:00 PM
I have such thin hair now that you can see through the bottom of my hair. The fact that my hair clumps together into curls/ringlets makes it worse. maybe I'm not destined for long hair or it'll take a while of microtrimming to thicken it out. Hopefully in about a year or two this problem will go away.

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 22nd, 2018, 12:25 AM
I have such thin hair now that you can see through the bottom of my hair. The fact that my hair clumps together into curls/ringlets makes it worse. maybe I'm not destined for long hair or it'll take a while of microtrimming to thicken it out. Hopefully in about a year or two this problem will go away.

i have this same problem, i think its just our hair type.

Starla*
February 22nd, 2018, 06:42 PM
What kind of hair toy / updo would you use for thin APL hair?

lucid
February 22nd, 2018, 07:31 PM

Not too sure that waves/curls makes it worse. My hair appears to be at least twice as thick when it has waves/wurls/curls. :)

I adore your texture btw!

Wavybrunetteuk
February 22nd, 2018, 09:03 PM
Not too sure that waves/curls makes it worse. My hair appears to be at least twice as thick when it has waves/wurls/curls. :)I adore your texture btw!It's because at the back they clump together into precisely 3 ringlets, so the lack of hair shows.Aww thank you Honey! You guys are really helping me in the process of accepting my natural hair.

lucid
February 24th, 2018, 02:57 PM
It's because at the back they clump together into precisely 3 ringlets, so the lack of hair shows.Aww thank you Honey! You guys are really helping me in the process of accepting my natural hair.

But even so, curls and waves add lots of volume and will therefore give the illusion of having thicker hair. My sisters i hair looks much thinner when she straightens it, and the same goes for everyone else I know in the below average range. :)

My hair clump together as well, or becomes "stringy". I think it's the nature of having fine hair. My mom has 1b course hair, and her hair never form clumps.

lapushka
February 24th, 2018, 03:07 PM

It looks just fine to me! You can barely see the letters on the t-shirt. So I think you're good.

wannabe-rusalka
February 24th, 2018, 09:31 PM
It looks just fine to me! You can barely see the letters on the t-shirt. So I think you're good.

Thank you for reassuring me! All my life I've been told me hair is thin so I get self conscious about it sometimes. I'm so glad I found all of you guys for support :heartbeat:blossom:

bparnell75
March 29th, 2018, 11:34 AM
This hair loss is disparaging. My buns just keep getting smaller and smaller. Some days I want to scream.....please leave me some hair. But I really want more than that. I want thick hair.

fhairyqueen
March 29th, 2018, 11:37 AM
I’ve always been twanted led I have thin hair but I always thought it was a good thing until now that I wang thick hair for curls and updo’s
How can you tell if your hair is actually thin / fine

Alissalocks
March 29th, 2018, 03:00 PM
There's a thread around somewhere that explains hair thickness but basically if you can take a hair and roll it in between your fingers but can't feel it's there? That's fine hair. Think kitten hair or baby hair, so very thin you can't feel it when just a single strand.

lapushka
March 29th, 2018, 03:28 PM
I’ve always been twanted led I have thin hair but I always thought it was a good thing until now that I wang thick hair for curls and updo’s

Actually you need more length to be able to do an updo in the first place, with thick hair, so it's even more difficult. I had to wait until hip for instance to be able to even do a bun! So you have to understand what it is you wish for. :flower:

You can measure your ponytail circumference to ascertain in what category you fall: i, ii, or iii.

Whether it's F, M, or C, you have to compare it to a sewing thread, thicker = coarse, about the same = M, and finer is F.

browneyedsusan
June 5th, 2018, 02:36 PM
Joining.
My hair is "normal" ponytail circumference, but the individual strands are very narrow.

I just updated my signature, and it looks like I've gained 1 1/2" length from last year, but it looks thinner. I'll bet it's just because my hair is laying differently.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 5th, 2018, 03:24 PM
Actually you need more length to be able to do an updo in the first place, with thick hair, so it's even more difficult. I had to wait until hip for instance to be able to even do a bun! So you have to understand what it is you wish for. :flower:

You can measure your ponytail circumference to ascertain in what category you fall: i, ii, or iii.

Whether it's F, M, or C, you have to compare it to a sewing thread, thicker = coarse, about the same = M, and finer is F.

Oh the sewing thread thing is a great idea! So, do you think this makes me fine? Hairdressers always tell me I have fine hair.

https://i.imgur.com/qyxSuTE.jpg

girlcat36
June 5th, 2018, 06:26 PM
My hair next to sewing thread...

https://s15.postimg.cc/mn94qsf9z/IMG_1298.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/mn94qsf9z/)

daisy rei
June 5th, 2018, 07:25 PM
Hahaha, I'm sure my hair is invisible next to sewing thread!

Solgave
June 6th, 2018, 03:22 PM
Got really curious and had to try the sewing thread and hair comparison too. :lol:It is a terrible photo, but it was the best i got :shrug: Used a 2 ply sewing thread.
https://i.imgur.com/CT7nNlv.jpg?1

lapushka
June 6th, 2018, 04:38 PM
I use a nylon sewing thread, not a cotton one (they're thicker).

Xlena
June 6th, 2018, 04:39 PM
Here's my hair! The one in the middle is how the majority of my hairs are, and the last one is one of the random... medium? hairs I've seen in my natural growth. My hairdresser always said my hair was one of the thinnest he had ever seen ;) I think it's genetics. My mom's hair is even thinner!

https://i.gyazo.com/313379279fae7cfd919be6a8b8e764c0.png

teal
June 7th, 2018, 10:32 PM
Here's my hair! The one in the middle is how the majority of my hairs are, and the last one is one of the random... medium? hairs I've seen in my natural growth. My hairdresser always said my hair was one of the thinnest he had ever seen ;) I think it's genetics. My mom's hair is even thinner!

https://i.gyazo.com/313379279fae7cfd919be6a8b8e764c0.png

My hair is like this, too. Mostly fine, and some coarse ones. My hair is a medium brown and those hairs are invariably darker, too.

browneyedsusan
June 12th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Here's mine!

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1754/27889504357_68885f0f52.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/JuuZZp)2018-06-12_01-45-48 (https://flic.kr/p/JuuZZp) by Mom and wife (https://www.flickr.com/photos/62007100@N08/), on Flickr

Sewing thread with a random hair from my brush. :)

Silverbleed
June 13th, 2018, 08:59 AM
Here's mine as well :) I had some of that black sewing thread somewhere.

https://i.imgur.com/i77KUITh.jpg

Oh and this one is with a viscose thread, slightly thinner thread.
https://i.imgur.com/eNBaVTbh.jpg

LittleHealthy
July 15th, 2018, 03:19 AM

This is EXACTLY how pretty much all my trims look!! I have often wondered whether I’m perhaps not trimming often enough... I had hair to just below my breasts, then cut it up into a short bob when I copped a lot of bleach damage and post partum hair loss. Ever since then I’ve had super thin, whispy, fine ends!!
I trim every 3 months. The amount trimmed never changes, so I’m considering trying a year without any trims and really babying my ends to try and gain back some length.

I find serums (I use Schwarzkopf 6 Miracles Oil Essence most days) to be good for masking the splits. I was using some Rosehip oil I was given as a freebie once, that seemed helpful too.
I mainly find keeping my hair up in a bun is the best protection for my ends. Or wearing a small hair extension which is longer than my own hair by an inch or two......then braiding my hair into it, so that I can secure with an elastic at the end of the braid and know my own hair isn’t touching/being damaged by the elastic. If that makes sense!!

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 15th, 2018, 11:45 AM
This is EXACTLY how pretty much all my trims look!! I have often wondered whether I’m perhaps not trimming often enough... I had hair to just below my breasts, then cut it up into a short bob when I copped a lot of bleach damage and post partum hair loss. Ever since then I’ve had super thin, whispy, fine ends!!
I trim every 3 months. The amount trimmed never changes, so I’m considering trying a year without any trims and really babying my ends to try and gain back some length.

I find serums (I use Schwarzkopf 6 Miracles Oil Essence most days) to be good for masking the splits. I was using some Rosehip oil I was given as a freebie once, that seemed helpful too.
I mainly find keeping my hair up in a bun is the best protection for my ends. Or wearing a small hair extension which is longer than my own hair by an inch or two......then braiding my hair into it, so that I can secure with an elastic at the end of the braid and know my own hair isn’t touching/being damaged by the elastic. If that makes sense!!

Thats actually a really really good idea! As long as the extension isnt synthetic hair!
Synthetic hair will cause friction and would probably do as much damage as a hair tie would
but thats an excellent idea. especially for those of us that primarily wear hair in braids.

LittleHealthy
July 16th, 2018, 02:16 AM
Thats actually a really really good idea! As long as the extension isnt synthetic hair!
Synthetic hair will cause friction and would probably do as much damage as a hair tie would
but thats an excellent idea. especially for those of us that primarily wear hair in braids.

Yep it’s human hair! The colour is slightly different but I think I’m the only person who notices haha! It’s actually a small piece of extension a friend gave me from a full head extension set she bought and didn’t need all the pieces from. It took a long time not to feel strange with someone else’s hair in my hair hahaha.

Crna Kosa
July 16th, 2018, 02:48 AM
Has anyone noticed that the gray hairs are thicker than their regular hairs. If yes , why is that, or it just seems like they are ?

LittleHealthy
July 19th, 2018, 10:44 AM
Crna Kosa I believe the greys grow in with a rougher texture - which could make them appear thicker than usual! Or perhaps in some cases they do grow in a thicker diameter too? My partner has a few greys so far (his hair is thin and fine also) and his seem rougher/much more coarse, but not actually thicker in diameter.
Greys are more porous in nature so would absorb more moisture and perhaps become bigger?
There would probably be a grey haired people thread full of knowledge somewhere on here. Haha!

LittleHealthy
August 6th, 2018, 11:27 AM
Does anyone here have fine, thin, STRAIGHT hair?
If so, do you ever find that bunning causes mechanical damage?? Even just twisting my hair into a cinnamon bun and leaving it in for too long gives me crazy curls, and I just wonder whether that might cause my folicles to become roughed up, the same way people get damage from foam rollers etc sometimes?
Am I just being super paranoid?? Lol!

sophia_
August 6th, 2018, 12:29 PM
I should honesty just cut my bangs in again, the hairs in the front are so fine that they break off so easily and produce no audible sound when broken, when I had bangs I had fewer problems with breakage as the hairs get a bit coarser closer to the back of my head.

Cg
August 6th, 2018, 02:34 PM
My greys are thinner and much more fragile.

Bunning per se does not cause mechanical damage but overhandling does.

LittleHealthy
August 6th, 2018, 04:34 PM
I should honesty just cut my bangs in again, the hairs in the front are so fine that they break off so easily and produce no audible sound when broken, when I had bangs I had fewer problems with breakage as the hairs get a bit coarser closer to the back of my head.

Is there a particular reason you decided to grow them out in the first place? I had bangs too. They’ve grown out to roughly collarbone length now.

ursaV
August 6th, 2018, 10:04 PM
LittleHealthyI wouldn't worry about it! My hair will get super wavy when I take it out of a bun but then go back to stick straight ten minutes later with no damage. Rollers pull and clip into hair, and people likely set the curls with hairspray, so it's way more manipulative than a bun. As long as you handle gently you're good. My hair gets the most mechanical damage when I'm rushed and brush too quickly or have to rake my hands through tangled hair to re-updo :doh:

kimchi989
August 7th, 2018, 01:46 AM
My advice (I learned it the hard way): try to avoid layers. I've fine hair (not that fine it's stringy or see through), and once a hairdresser suggested "small layers" because I liked to curl my hair (ow hat time I was using heat, silicones and sulfate...) and my hair would look better with those small layers. Bad idea i ended up with huge layers which made my ends look like they were so thin you could see my tattoo through them. I ended up cutting my hair to a long pixie cut (in steps: first got rid of the layers so took me to BSL to APL, then I cut it to SL, then into a long pixie)
One other thing I noticed: stay away from very tight styles. When I see my friends do super tights french braids, it looks good. If I do it, you see my scalp and you could swear I'm balding (which I'm not). Same with ponytails: If I tighten the elastic, it looks like I'm balding (so for me it's "not to tight, even if I've to make my ponytail again in one hour")
I also noticed my hair being more "full" since I'm no poo (depending on my mood: gram flour or rhassoul + ACV rinse or going WO + ACV rinse to fight hard water)

LittleHealthy
August 7th, 2018, 02:26 AM
Kimchi989,
I’ve also noticed my hair feeling fuller, since starting cowashing instead of plain old wash & condition. Skipping out on the shampoo has done wonders.

UrsaV,
Thanks for the advice! I guess I just imagined the curls somehow lifting the cuticle or something. My hair curls up in an instant due to bunning, but (as you said) drops down to straight again within 10-15 minutes LOL.

Alun
August 7th, 2018, 01:18 PM
If so, do you ever find that bunning causes mechanical damage?? Even just twisting my hair into a cinnamon bun and leaving it in for too long gives me crazy curls, and I just wonder whether that might cause my folicles to become roughed up, the same way people get damage from foam rollers etc sometimes?

I suspect this has happened to me.

lapushka
August 7th, 2018, 02:41 PM
My mom washed her hair today. It's been nearing the 2 month mark since she last washed (+ colored) it. This time no coloring. But it has grown quite a bit. She is at the APL mark right now and didn't want it cut, just roller-set.

(My mom BTW doesn't produce sebum - it's a mystery. Only the hairspray had built up on her hair in front but the back was still as if freshly washed. Total, but total mystery.)

She has 1b/c hair and I used my products on her, the Curl Enhancing Smoothie by Shea Moisture, then a little gel, and then roller setting. The gel and the cream makes it so that roller-setting is a breeze to do (hair sticks onto itself rather than drying too fast and fluffing out). Yeah.

She roller-sets it because it gives her a whole lot of volume and the cream + gel makes it so that it holds really well, at least a couple weeks worth of curls.

Angelica
August 8th, 2018, 05:24 AM

Yes I have 1a f i hair poker straight. I have also only had that amount of hair when I trimmed about around 3 inches off (I am referring to the photo you showed with the ruler). I have now had my hair cut into a bob and really love it for the first time in my life. I was sick of wearing it up and contrary to what is said here, I found putting my hair up was causing too much damage to my hair. It was never without splits no matter how well I treated my hair and believe me I always treated it well because it is so fine and delicate and won't take any form of abuse whatsoever. My hair is still long enough to braid if I want to, but right now I am enjoying wearing it loose and no split ends! In fact it feels longer and fuller than before because I am no longer afraid of using products. I do still love long hair, especially extremely long hair but it is something I have never been able to have. I wish you luck on your hair journey - by the way I love your profile photo - your hair is gorgeous. xxxx

Alissalocks
August 9th, 2018, 10:29 AM
I also tend to braid more than bun bc I feel like I'm doing more handling of my hair (twisting it, etc) and therefore encouraging damage. And mine is fine, straight, and thin thin.

LittleHealthy
August 9th, 2018, 08:19 PM
Yes I have 1a f i hair poker straight. I have also only had that amount of hair when I trimmed about around 3 inches off (I am referring to the photo you showed with the ruler). I have now had my hair cut into a bob and really love it for the first time in my life. I was sick of wearing it up and contrary to what is said here, I found putting my hair up was causing too much damage to my hair. It was never without splits no matter how well I treated my hair and believe me I always treated it well because it is so fine and delicate and won't take any form of abuse whatsoever. My hair is still long enough to braid if I want to, but right now I am enjoying wearing it loose and no split ends! In fact it feels longer and fuller than before because I am no longer afraid of using products. I do still love long hair, especially extremely long hair but it is something I have never been able to have. I wish you luck on your hair journey - by the way I love your profile photo - your hair is gorgeous. xxxx

It seems you understand exactly what I mean! I’ve started doing a peacock twist or just having mine up in a half pulled-through ponytail in a scrunchie because bunning with my hair twisted seems to be messing with my hair. Thankyou for the lovely compliment :D

Dee94
October 25th, 2018, 12:40 PM
I belong in here for sure.
So much to go through and read. :)
Posting so I don't lose thread.

lapushka
October 27th, 2018, 03:07 PM
I belong in here for sure.
So much to go through and read. :)
Posting so I don't lose thread.

I'll bump it up for you! :)

My mom has i hair and she last week did her hair. She always roller-sets it with the curl enhancing smoothie + gel. It has amazing hold and her curls last a week. I love it when she does her hair!!! Unfortunately she only does it about every month (washing as well), because her scalp is so dry (no flakes) she can do that. She has 0 sebum, I don't know what magic that is!

Jesmonster2
November 6th, 2018, 03:43 PM
I definitely have fine, thin hair. What do you use to moisturize your hair in winter? My ends are getting pretty dry and brittle lately.

sophia_
November 6th, 2018, 04:50 PM
I definitely have fine, thin hair. What do you use to moisturize your hair in winter? My ends are getting pretty dry and brittle lately.

Fine hair's a real beast in the winter because it tangles so much and there's a fine line between really dry ends and greasiness, lol! I moisturize with a cream as well as an oil on wet hair. If your hair doesn't like oil, you may want to try using it on wet hair in conjunction with a cream, that seemed to fix it for me.

PixieNixie
November 6th, 2018, 10:43 PM
I am going to try out avacado oil. It was recommended as a lighter oil that wont go greasy on my fine hair. We will see ;) I am currently using a watery leave in conditioner (Shea Moisture Silicone Free Miracle Styler) on my ends to keep them hydrated. It works well and seems to absorb fast without leaving my hair greasy.

Jesmonster2
November 7th, 2018, 12:19 AM
Sophia, thin hair is definitely a battle in late Fall and Winter. Lately my hair is either like straw or oily. I used a conditioner that I picked up in italy as a treatment a few days ago, and I think my hair didn't like it. Rather than feeling softer, my hair feels rough. I tried to put some oil on the ends, but that just made my hair feel heavy and greasy.

Pixie, let us know how the avocado oil works out! I really need to find myself a good leave in conditioner.

lucid
November 7th, 2018, 02:09 AM
I'm struggling a bit with static hair after cutting it (probably because I'm wearing it down more and it's cold). Does it mean I need more moisturize?

I have also figured out that I have a lot more hair on my right side. I always thought it was just because my parting is to the left. But I've been experimenting a bit with parting to the right (a true struggle because of my cow lick, but it brings more volume so I wanna try to make it work). And when I part my hair 2 cm to the right at the top and down the back in the middle i have exactly the same amount of hair in both sections of hair. I never knew this!

Lady Stardust
November 7th, 2018, 06:03 AM
I’m a big fan of the Rinse Out Oil method, it’s the only way I can use oil without my hair getting greasy and attracting lint. My hair feels softer since I started this method. Here’s the link to Lapushka’s thread about it
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129191

Lucid I’m not sure exactly what causes static but I don’t get it so much these days (I’ve probably just jinxed that!). I think the difference is that I moisturise my hair much more than I used to, and maybe my shampoo and conditioner just suit me better than the ones I used previously.

My hair is thicker on one side too, it’s noticeable when I plait it :)

Alissalocks
November 7th, 2018, 08:23 AM
I quit getting static when I started oiling regularly. It used to be so dry and staticky I could SMELL the ions in my hair.

A serum might help, Hask is nice if you don't mind silicone.

SallySue
November 7th, 2018, 09:19 AM
I'm struggling a bit with static hair after cutting it (probably because I'm wearing it down more and it's cold). Does it mean I need more moisturize?

I have also figured out that I have a lot more hair on my right side. I always thought it was just because my parting is to the left. But I've been experimenting a bit with parting to the right (a true struggle because of my cow lick, but it brings more volume so I wanna try to make it work). And when I part my hair 2 cm to the right at the top and down the back in the middle i have exactly the same amount of hair in both sections of hair. I never knew this!

I can't help you with the static question, but that's an interesting observation about your naturally off-center part! Natural growth patterns are a funny thing, aren't they? My hair seems to grow in the direction of a clockwise spiral around my head. Combing the roots to dry in the opposite direction from the cowlick spiral really does help with volume.

school of fish
November 7th, 2018, 09:41 AM
Another vote here for the rinse-out oil/oil rinse method for reducing static! In my corner of Canada our winters are crackling dry, between the freezing air outside and the heat on inside 24/7 - static is real here and the oil rinse mitigates it nicely for me :)

lapushka
November 7th, 2018, 10:13 AM
I haven't had static in so long. I think the key thing is moisture, the more moisture in your hair, the better. Ever since I started double conditioning, even when using a drying shampoo, my hair has been static-free. I also still do the LOC/LCO method on my hair after washing (styling purposes). Again a boost of moisture; on top of that I oil rinse, have been doing this for almost a year now.

Not saying it can't weigh your hair down, but at least the chances of static will be reduced, IMO.

PixieNixie
November 7th, 2018, 03:13 PM
Washed my hair today and put in my normal leave in with avocado oil as my "LCO" method ( my method is condition, leave in, oil). Hair is not greasy or weighed down by the avocado oil like it was with argan and coconut oil. Think I have found my new favorite oil for my hair.

MarPreciosa
November 7th, 2018, 05:08 PM
Sophia, thin hair is definitely a battle in late Fall and Winter. Lately my hair is either like straw or oily. I used a conditioner that I picked up in italy as a treatment a few days ago, and I think my hair didn't like it. Rather than feeling softer, my hair feels rough. I tried to put some oil on the ends, but that just made my hair feel heavy and greasy.

Pixie, let us know how the avocado oil works out! I really need to find myself a good leave in conditioner.

Another good one is argan if you haven't tried it. They sell it at Trader Joes now. Also awesome for skin!

Groovy Granny
November 7th, 2018, 05:11 PM
Another vote here for ROO and LOC; I adjust the amount of add-ins depending on the season and hair needs.

Flagg
November 7th, 2018, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the length Lady Stardust

Flagg
November 7th, 2018, 05:48 PM
I meant link! Hair on the brain, of course 😀

Jesmonster2
November 8th, 2018, 01:42 AM
Another good one is argan if you haven't tried it. They sell it at Trader Joes now. Also awesome for skin!

Thank you! I actually live in Germany, not the US, so we don't have Trader Joe's. But I have seen a big bottle of argan oil in my mother in law's bathroom. I think she buys it in the Czech Republic. I have tried it before. I like the smell and the feeling. I have to go really light with oils or else my hair looks very very clumpy and oily. One oil I really like right now is squalane oil which I also use on my skin. It's light and hydrating. However, it doesn't have any scent at all. I do like using nice smelling products.

lapushka
November 8th, 2018, 07:12 AM
I meant link! Hair on the brain, of course ��

LOL! :lol:

MarPreciosa
November 8th, 2018, 10:43 AM
Thank you! I actually live in Germany, not the US, so we don't have Trader Joe's. But I have seen a big bottle of argan oil in my mother in law's bathroom. I think she buys it in the Czech Republic. I have tried it before. I like the smell and the feeling. I have to go really light with oils or else my hair looks very very clumpy and oily. One oil I really like right now is squalane oil which I also use on my skin. It's light and hydrating. However, it doesn't have any scent at all. I do like using nice smelling products.

I will look into that oil too! Yes I can only use a tiny bit or the same situation you described occurs.

bparnell75
November 19th, 2018, 12:46 PM
What kind of hair toy / updo would you use for thin APL hair?

Light weight forks. Try some of the ones on ebay instead of the heavy ones ones.

Knightly
December 2nd, 2018, 12:51 AM
Does anyone know how to style thin hair in some way to avoid your scalp showing off too much? My hair is super thin so whenever I braid or bun it, you can see my super bright, pale white scalp through and it's so annoying!

lapushka
December 2nd, 2018, 04:01 AM
Does anyone know how to style thin hair in some way to avoid your scalp showing off too much? My hair is super thin so whenever I braid or bun it, you can see my super bright, pale white scalp through and it's so annoying!

Maybe brush it forward, then flip your head over, loosely root around in there with fingers, and to "finish" comb it superficially like you would comb a tease. It should have plumped up. You might also have the tangles to go with it, but... you can't have it all. My mom teases her hair, she's i and always wears a peacock twist.

ii is actually not thin, it's average.

Cg
December 2nd, 2018, 08:39 AM

After securing in a bun or braid, run a fine toothed comb over the scalp. If necessary you can rub a dab of cocoa (if you're brunette) or cornstarch (blonde) from a fingertip onto the scalp where necessary.

Sparkles122
December 2nd, 2018, 11:10 AM
I’m pretty sure I have very fine hair just alot of it. Now as far as hair typing and all that other stuff, i have no idea, how do I find that out?

lushfanatic
December 2nd, 2018, 11:13 AM
I’m pretty sure I have very fine hair just alot of it. Now as far as hair typing and all that other stuff, i have no idea, how do I find that out?

(I'm not really meant to be on this thread, but the guide is here: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252)

Helyanwee7
December 3rd, 2018, 04:36 AM
Hello! I'm new here and definitely belong in this thread. My hair is so thin and fragile that when I let it down, it rubs against itself and I get major split ends and my ends are generally super dry. I've been applying shea butter (am I crazy?), but only on the very tip (half an inch maybe) and putting my hair in a bun where my ends are not exposed. I let the bun in all day, and when I let my hair down in the evening, the butter is completely absorbed and my hair are not weighed down at all. It has done wonders for me.
I still struggle to keep my hair hydrated and non-static in those colder months though. When I brush only with the BBB and not my hands on top, I look like a crazy woman haha.
Thank you all for all the tips, I've been lurking here for a while and found so many things I want to try, like WCC/CWC and CO!

H o n є y ❤
December 28th, 2018, 06:35 PM
Hello ladies (and fellas)! I have a question.

When my hair was APL, it got thinner towards the bottom of the length. But I had split ends, which may have contributed to the ends being thinner than the hair closer to the root.

I cut off the splits, and now my hair is equally thick across the entire length. Right now my hair is shooting for CBL. I'm wondering if I keep my end healthy do you think my hair will be able to retain that thicknesses? Or due to my hair being thin and fine, are thinner ends as the hair gets longer inevitable?

Lady Stardust
December 29th, 2018, 03:48 PM

When my hair was APL, it got thinner towards the bottom of the length. But I had split ends, which may have contributed to the ends being thinner than the hair closer to the root.

I cut off the splits, and now my hair is equally thick across the entire length. Right now my hair is shooting for CBL. I'm wondering if I keep my end healthy do you think my hair will be able to retain that thicknesses? Or due to my hair being thin and fine, are thinner ends as the hair gets longer inevitable?

I’m curious about this too, I hope someone can chip in with their experience.

My hair is just past collarbone and doesn’t look as thick as it did at chin length, but I think that’s partly to do with how the hair lies. My plan is to minimise taper by having regular microtrims, because my ends go see through pretty quickly without trims. I think some taper is inevitable though because there will always be new growth making its way down.

I’m quite self conscious about thickness (or lack of) and I think that I will be more successful in reaching longer lengths if I really give it my best shot by keeping the ends blunt and minimising taper just for the optical illusion that I have thicker hair. If I let it taper too much I think I would convince myself that long hair is not for me.

Having said all that, one of the most beautiful heads of hair I have seen on this forum was i thickness and I really do love thinner, longer hair for all its ethereal and floaty qualities.

Cg
December 29th, 2018, 04:35 PM

I trim regularly and often to maintain mine. Still looks good at FTL.

Reyesuela
December 30th, 2018, 02:14 PM

Use minoxidil. Grow hair to cover scalp. That was my solution. Proved very effective. :)

Alissalocks
December 30th, 2018, 08:52 PM

Mine keeps fairy tale-ing even when I try to blunt cut it, so I'm trying to accept that and gain the length again. :flower:

lunasea
December 30th, 2018, 09:09 PM
My braids are just about as big as the first and last pictures. Why can't I look this good with them? (besides the fact that I'm decades older) https://ilesformula.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Screen-Shot-2016-04-09-at-06.47.59-e1460198880926.png

Cg
December 31st, 2018, 10:55 AM
My braids are just about as big as the first and last pictures. Why can't I look this good with them? (besides the fact that I'm decades older) https://ilesformula.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Screen-Shot-2016-04-09-at-06.47.59-e1460198880926.png

You do look just as good. Just admit it!

kattmara
December 31st, 2018, 03:05 PM

I have some tips that might work, I don't do it all the time but if I remember right they all worked:

- Use dry shampoo even before your hair gets oily - right as soon as your hair is dry after a wash. That helps add some volume and texture as does some sort of texture spray but for both of these watch out with the ingredients. You could try some kind of starch too if you want it totally no poo

- Washing hair with flax seed gel and/or using it after shower to enhance your natural texture can help, hair doesn't feel as silky if you have fine strands but it does give more texture and body without feeling too dry or stiff I think

- Methods for adding texture to your hair (no heat styling) that don't involve braiding or separating the hair on the scalp too much works. Why you don't want to let it dry in braids to get waves is that if the hair dries with a parting it is way more likely to keep that part even when you try to brush over it and make the hair lie another way.

- This connects to the previous one, put your hair up without any gaps or in a loose pineapple bun after you've showered and let it dry that way, preferably when sleeping. It might not look nice when you wake up or have it down but it can prevent gaps caused by hair partings. You could also try drying it the opposite way you want it to go later, but that can make it part later when flipped depending on your hair.

- When making a bun, put it in a ponytail first. Brush your hair really flat (seems counter-intuitive I know ) because it makes all the hairs lie in one direction and they are therefore less likely to part and show scalp. After this you put your ponytail a bit lower than you want the bun, then do as you would when tightening it during the day, so it moves up if that makes sense. Doing this and pulling lightly on the hairs that have formed the top layer add backs volume and if you over-do it and get parting somewhere just try it again : )

- When putting hair up put the hair tie as centred as possible on your head, this means that less hairs will have a very far way to travel from root to getting caught in the hair tie so to speak which reduces the risk of them grouping up and parting.

- If you just want your hair out of the way and not a "real bun" you can also go the route of really low ponytail, below your head even, that lets your hair fall like it normally would from your scalp and that usually doesn't show too much scalp. Really loose braid(s) works too and leaving out bangs.

- If you use heat for special occasions a slim crimper could be used closest to the roots, there are tutorials for it on YouTube

Hope some of these are new info for you and helpful : )

lunasea
December 31st, 2018, 09:27 PM
You do look just as good. Just admit it!

How I wish this was true! :rollin::rollin::rollin::rollin:

poli
February 9th, 2019, 05:59 AM
I had a little hair identity crisis and tried and tried to get my straight hair to wave. I have to admit I managed to get sort of 2a waves and therefore more volume but I lost shine and sleekness. Made me think fine hair left alone and not manipulated so much have it's advantages. Without styling products it's lighter and shinier, more sleek and less frizzy.

kimki
February 10th, 2019, 03:53 AM
I have come to a similar conclusion poli. But for me, it's been cutting down on the leave ins that I use between washes. Detangling sprays and conditioners just seem to make my hair harder to detangle and less shiny. Leaving it alone with maybe a drop or 2 of oil on the ends when they feel dry makes it so much more manageable.

poli
February 10th, 2019, 11:04 PM
I have come to a similar conclusion poli. But for me, it's been cutting down on the leave ins that I use between washes. Detangling sprays and conditioners just seem to make my hair harder to detangle and less shiny. Leaving it alone with maybe a drop or 2 of oil on the ends when they feel dry makes it so much more manageable.

My fine hair loves leave-ins but I'm new to this so I'm learning the hard way. For example the humactants are not at all good to leave-in overnight in my climate and central heating we got here and oils can make my hair either very soft or full on greasy. I have no need for detangling sprays so no experience here but my hair loves silicone serums and it's the safest thing for me to use in between washes, very light weight.

H o n є y ❤
February 11th, 2019, 07:14 AM
I have thin & fine hair all the way around but what gets me is that it's worse in the back of my head. If my hair was the same density throughout, it would look okay. But the fact that it's more sparse in the back makes me hate the way it looks because it doesn't look uniform at all. :/

KoKonut
February 12th, 2019, 05:58 PM
My hair has always been fine but what has always kinda saved me is the fact that I have a lot of hair, it usually takes them forever to dry it at salon. Of course now, since the huge huge bleaching damage disaster this past October, it took half my hair away and it looked horrendous, very thin, very very thin and fine. Trying to get density back.

Aree513
February 17th, 2019, 12:24 PM
I apologize if this has been covered further back in this thread, since I have just joined the forum. Does anyone have experience with extra long layers in fine hair like mine (1a/1b/I)? I figure if there’s anyone who would know, they would be in this thread. I’ve noticed a lot of breakage lately after having gone sulfate and silicone free (I’m back to using them again and my hair is like night & day!). I’m currently sitting at 27” with a straight, blunt cut (if my avatar shows up, you’ll see it) but I was thinking some layers at the tips and a little bit of long layers around the face (to help cut back on some of the splits/breakage).
Thank you in advance for any wisdom/experience anyone can impart. :)

Also, in response to the person who posted above: if you’re not opposed to silicones there are some really great hair conditioners/hair serums from Korea you can usually find on amazon. One that people who dye their hair often really love is the Nature Republic Argan line, specifically the hair pack and hair serum.

Mask: Nature Republic Argan Essential Deep Care Hair Pack, 200 Gram https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H8JOLG0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.pBACb3Z4V0E4

Serum: [Nature Republic] Argan Essential Deep Care Hair Essence https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EBZD8MM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HrBACb8H8TGCY

Cg
February 17th, 2019, 12:32 PM
I apologize if this has been covered further back in this thread, since I have just joined the forum. Does anyone have experience with extra long layers in fine hair like mine (1a/1b/I)? I figure if there’s anyone who would know, they would be in this thread. I’ve noticed a lot of breakage lately after having gone sulfate and silicone free (I’m back to using them again and my hair is like night & day!). I’m currently sitting at 27” with a straight, blunt cut (if my avatar shows up, you’ll see it) but I was thinking some layers at the tips and a little bit of long layers around the face (to help cut back on some of the splits/breakage).
Thank you in advance for any wisdom/experience anyone can impart. :)

Your texture is similar to mine. I do not recommend layers with i hair. Instead, work on minimizing damage. You've already found what works. Just keep at it.

Aree513
February 17th, 2019, 12:33 PM
https://imgur.com/a/1397A8N

I hope this shows up!

Aree513
February 17th, 2019, 12:36 PM
thank you for your reply. As you can see, my attempt at posting a picture failed. This is what I keep leaning towards, since I’m afraid layering will cause it to seem sparse. It took a lot of work to get to 27”, I don’t expect the next 10” to be easy.

Cg
February 17th, 2019, 01:01 PM
Yes, layering already thin hair makes it look even thinner. Hair like ours looks its fullest when kept in a blunt hemline. Despite mantras to the contrary, frequent trimming does not slow growth (hair grows at the same rate whether trimmed or not). What it means is that your hair will always look well cared for. Good luck on your growth journey!

Aree513
February 17th, 2019, 01:09 PM
thank you for your reply. As you can see, my attempt at posting a picture failed. This is what I keep leaning towards, since I’m afraid layering will cause it to seem sparse. It took a lot of work to get to 27”, I don’t expect the next 10” to be easy.

Your texture is similar to mine. I do not recommend layers with i hair. Instead, work on minimizing damage. You've already found what works. Just keep at it.

I’m sorry, I meant to reply to you directly. I’m new, so I can’t edit my posts, so I’ve made a few “oopsies” in posting already. Also, thank you so much for your input. I had my husband help me remeasure my hair, I think I’m actually an ii (2 1/2” exactly is what he measured). I don’t think this makes much of a difference with my hair though, and I wish I could post a picture of how it looks at this length layered (which I had 3 years ago, then did a big chop) and blunt (which I put as my avatar if it worked).

Groovy Granny
February 17th, 2019, 09:06 PM
Welcome :)

I second the opinion that layering is not helpful for fine hair. at .all....and minimizing damage through gentle handling and protective styling is your best option.

I had layers growing out from chin and my thickness improved as each layer was snipped away over time.

You are already using good products....enjoy the journey :cheer:

Synester
February 17th, 2019, 11:27 PM
- very fine haired lady here at waist length.
Breakage and tangles at this length are my biggest issue growing it any further. ive hovered at waist/hip for....what feels like a YEAR because i like to keep my ends and hemline really blunt. and as soon as i see scraggles or thinner ends i gotta chop em off.
did anyone else have a problem getting past a certain length that just felt like a roadblock.
I oil my hair, I do ROO, i microtrim my splits every few months to a very minimal degree. I just want to know what more I can do for myself in getting to my dream length.
for like. a decade my hair never went past shoulders. So waist is a mega achievement.

elfynity
February 18th, 2019, 12:26 AM
Wow, congratulations Synester, very inspiring for me to hear that you grew to waist after not being able to get past shoulders!
Aree, I think the other members here have good advice. Looking forward to seeing some photos. i had the oppposite, when I stopped using sulphates and silicone, my hair stopped falling out and thousands of new hairs started to grow all over - I guess we are all different.

I oiled and then shampoo'd my hair yesterday and now that all the natural sebum is gone, I am reminded of how incredible fine my hair is. I have to wear protective styles most of the time, and keep a check on my ends by microtrimming to ensure that they stay healthy and gain length. My hemline has improved alot over the last year, which means i am going to start seeing length growth now. I think it is difficult with fine hair because I feel we have to treat it even more gently than other hair types(?). I know for me, unless I am super careful with my ends, they just split and break and stop length growth.

rags
February 18th, 2019, 06:13 AM
Synester, my hair is baby fine, a i thickness, and fragile from medications. As well as what you're doing, I had to wear my hair up 99 percent of the time in order to make it longer (I cut at just past hip due to a major medication shed). My stall came at BSL, which is when I learned to wear it up all the time!

Aree513
February 18th, 2019, 02:02 PM
Shoot! I wrote a whole post thanking you all for your tips and knowledge and it just...poof! Ugh. ��

Anyway, I appreciate all the input, and I wish I could show you all the side-by-side of my hair 3 years ago at the same length with layers. I wound up hating them and doing a big chop of 8”. It seems my hair grows pretty fast though, as I usually lose about 1-2” each cut currently, and it only took a little less than 3 years to get back to this length. I also seem to have had a lot of breakage at this length now, which seems to be reducing (and I’m seeing regrowth now too, which is great). I still don’t understand why using silicones and sulfates is working all of a sudden again after making my hair look weighed down or stripped for years before.

I’m going to go back and thank you guys directly, sorry for all my newbie mistakes! ��

Aree513
February 18th, 2019, 02:06 PM
Welcome :)

I second the opinion that layering is not helpful for fine hair. at .all....and minimizing damage through gentle handling and protective styling is your best option.

I had layers growing out from chin and my thickness improved as each layer was snipped away over time.

You are already using good products....enjoy the journey :cheer:

Thank you so much for your advice. From your picture, your hair look beautiful. :) I hope I can make it to that length.

Aree513
February 18th, 2019, 02:15 PM
Wow, congratulations Synester, very inspiring for me to hear that you grew to waist after not being able to get past shoulders!
Aree, I think the other members here have good advice. Looking forward to seeing some photos. i had the oppposite, when I stopped using sulphates and silicone, my hair stopped falling out and thousands of new hairs started to grow all over - I guess we are all different.

I oiled and then shampoo'd my hair yesterday and now that all the natural sebum is gone, I am reminded of how incredible fine my hair is. I have to wear protective styles most of the time, and keep a check on my ends by microtrimming to ensure that they stay healthy and gain length. My hemline has improved alot over the last year, which means i am going to start seeing length growth now. I think it is difficult with fine hair because I feel we have to treat it even more gently than other hair types(?). I know for me, unless I am super careful with my ends, they just split and break and stop length growth.

Thank you for your reply. I really am baffled by the sulfates and silicones thing, as they always caused issues before for me. I had tried one of those sulfate and silicone free clay shampoo systems at first and while my hair seemed to love it, my scalp broke out like crazy. I eventually moved on to some Lush shampoo bar and conditioner, but they both failed me too. That’s the point where I saw the most hairloss and breakage. I felt like the only person I knew who Lush didn’t work for! lol

I’ll get pictures up as soon as I reach 25 posts. I love looking through all the pictures of beautiful and well maintained hair, and I appreciate all of you who have made this forum what it is. I am learning so much. I have to go look up some protective styles, I have no clue what to do for my hair in that respect. My ponytail tries to kill me or my husband every night, so I really need to find a nighttime hairstyle for sleep!

Groovy Granny
February 18th, 2019, 02:17 PM
Thank you so much for your advice. From your picture, your hair look beautiful. :) I hope I can make it to that length.

You're welcome ~ I am sure you will ~ your hair looks great :thumbsup:

Enjoy each stage of your journey :cheer:

Groovy Granny
February 18th, 2019, 02:18 PM
Synester, my hair is baby fine, a i thickness, and fragile from medications. As well as what you're doing, I had to wear my hair up 99 percent of the time in order to make it longer (I cut at just past hip due to a major medication shed). My stall came at BSL, which is when I learned to wear it up all the time!

Good to see you :flowers:

lapushka
February 18th, 2019, 04:18 PM
Aree, my mom is currently i (was i/ii there for a while) and she's 73. She keeps it in a blunt cut between shoulder & APL. It makes her hair look thicker and she can do more with it as far as updos go and that is necessary as she keeps it up in a peacock twist with a claw every single day. She even sleeps like that with her "sleep claw".

My hair is heavily layered, and even though I am iii, I experience the downside of layers. There is an upside for me and that is, it gets rid of a lot of "weight" for me, but that's because it's thicker. That's the only reason.

So no, I would not do it.

Synester
February 18th, 2019, 06:55 PM

Yes! its crazy my whole family my whole life always told me my hair would never go past my shoulders and then one day it just...did. it was amazing. so i always thought it was genetic that it stayed at shoulder, but now im at waist. and its once again...not moving for over a year almost. and its like ok. is this as far as i can push it. Or will it eventually jump and go even further. its just so hard to care for being so long and so fine. I wear it up A LOT but i love it down the most. and yes microtrimming over the years has made my hemline beautiful.

Alissalocks
February 18th, 2019, 09:33 PM
I had a false terminal of BSL for almost a decade bc I didn't take care of my hair properly until landing on LHC. Now it's between hip and TBL, and I've been growing out layers for yearrrrrrs. :meditate: aree513 I sure wouldn't recommend layers, personally. I've regretted it every. Single. Time. Do I learn? No... every 10 years or so I try again or change it up or something and ughhhh.

I so need to get a length shot. I haven't done one since last August. It should be long since I haven't trimmed it a lick since my big trim in May 2018.

UP Lisa
February 19th, 2019, 06:07 AM
Hi. Baby fine hair here. Tangles very easily and is very fragile. For me, patience and gentleness has been key. I Have been hovering between waist and hip for a long time after getting to BCL a few years ago. At that point I trimmed it up since I don't like scraggly ends. Working on getting back to BCL again before trimming. I'm almost there!

rags
February 19th, 2019, 07:58 AM
Good to see you :flowers:

Good to see you too, and to be back here again! Thanks! :flowers:

La Sphynge
February 19th, 2019, 03:03 PM
Hi there, fine/thin haired friends.
I am adding my cobweb head to the stack : super fine AND thin (1.6 inch ponytail) AND damaged (for the most part)

The year before last year, I used DIY light blonde dyes on it... repeatedly... and without focusing on the roots but applying to the whole lengths that were already bleached, mind you. (And of course, daily shampoos and blowfry...)
Then back form a vacation with lots of sun and salty water, I realized my hair REALLY looked bad (/worse than it used to) and started educating myself on how to properly take care of it.

I grow a bit less than 1 cm a month (luckily they are very straight so at least the visual progress is faster) and it's been a year, so I have like 12 cm of healthy virgin chestnut brown at the top, then a gradient of blonde. I'm almost reaching armpit length but with not-so-pretty ends (that I baby as much as I can but there is only so much you can do), so when I do reach APL, my plan is to chop to collarbone, then wait for APL again and repeat until it's mostly virgin hair.
And then we'll see, but I'd like to see how much (healthy) length I can get out of them.

I've been reading through this thread and I'm really grateful to see that I'm not alone with some of my issues and insecurities - scalp showing through when I put my hair up, looking as greasy as Gomez Addams as soon as the day after wash day... it's hard to find people who can relate and clues of solutions on the internet, for fine straight hair... heck, in some places I've even been yelled at for even asking.

I've been cone free for a couple of years already, then last year I realized I still had quats in my conditionner and switched (I'm now using Calia and loving it). I love the natural shine of my hair, it's noticeably different from what I had with cones in the past (I find natural reflections look slightly iridescent if you pay attention).
I started trying CWC last month and my hair seems to love it !
Also I try not to touch my scalp with my brush when I brush my hair, which seems to help stretching the time between hair washes (every 3rd day).
Also got a horn comb, I was kinda sceptical but omg, my hair gets so shiny, it's witchcraft !

I used to do coconut oil masks but every time I ended up with lots of hair in my hands and I can't tell whether they're dead (tellogen) or from breakage, or if it's a normal thing, but it's kind of scary so I stopped and just use a little bit on my ends. I don't have this problem as much with olive oil, it seems (I haven't invested in other oils so far), so maybe coconut oil is just not for me.

Cassia has been strongly recommended to me, and... it dried my hair like hell. Even though I had conditionner and honey in my mix. It was like hay and for a couple of days I thought it was permanently ruined. I didn't notice any extra shine, but a duller green-ish color (which... I mean I would have been okay with red-ish highlights, but green???) and yes my hair was very poofy, but it's no wonder since it was super dry, it didn't look like the healthy kind of volume you'd want.
Maybe it was poor quality cassia, maybe I did something wrong, but anyhow, that was my last attempt at getting more volume.
I've come to terms with my hair type, I'll aim for the delicate, elvish, silky look that I'm best at instead. :-)

LittleTea
February 19th, 2019, 03:18 PM
I used to do coconut oil masks but every time I ended up with lots of hair in my hands and I can't tell whether they're dead (tellogen) or from breakage, or if it's a normal thing, but it's kind of scary so I stopped and just use a little bit on my ends. I don't have this problem as much with olive oil, it seems (I haven't invested in other oils so far), so maybe coconut oil is just not for me.

Cassia has been strongly recommended to me, and... it dried my hair like hell. Even though I had conditionner and honey in my mix. It was like hay and for a couple of days I thought it was permanently ruined. I didn't notice any extra shine, but a duller green-ish color (which... I mean I would have been okay with red-ish highlights, but green???) and yes my hair was very poofy, but it's no wonder since it was super dry, it didn't look like the healthy kind of volume you'd want.
Maybe it was poor quality cassia, maybe I did something wrong, but anyhow, that was my last attempt at getting more volume.
I've come to terms with my hair type, I'll aim for the delicate, elvish, silky look that I'm best at instead. :-)

Welcoooome!! Sounds like you're off to a great start. :)

I feel ya on the coconut oil thing...any oil on my scalp makes me shed like crazy, and from reading others' experiences on here, it seems to be a common thing. I avoid scalp oiling altogether.

I also found cassia to be drying! When I was going more the herbal root in the past, I found that using catnip tea worked wonders in preventing split ends. I'm kind of lazy, although, so my current routine consists of herbal essences classic shampoo, conditioner, then a shea moisture leave-in, and a giovanni leave-in. Best of luck! :blossom:

Cg
February 19th, 2019, 03:18 PM
Welcome, La Sphynge. Good for you to read through the advice in this forum and experiment to find what works for you. Even better that you accept your hair type and plan to make the most of it. 1a/i will never emulate Victorian Frump hairstyles well, but delicate and silky is us for sure. Glad to have you join us, and please keep us updated on your progress.

elfynity
February 20th, 2019, 11:49 AM
Thank you for your reply. I really am baffled by the sulfates and silicones thing, as they always caused issues before for me. I had tried one of those sulfate and silicone free clay shampoo systems at first and while my hair seemed to love it, my scalp broke out like crazy. I eventually moved on to some Lush shampoo bar and conditioner, but they both failed me too. That’s the point where I saw the most hairloss and breakage. I felt like the only person I knew who Lush didn’t work for! lol

Aree, It just shows how incredibly different everyone's hair is! You and i are like on opposite sides of advice for sulphates and silicones it seems!

Yes! its crazy my whole family my whole life always told me my hair would never go past my shoulders and then one day it just...did. it was amazing. so i always thought it was genetic that it stayed at shoulder, but now im at waist. and its once again...not moving for over a year almost. and its like ok. is this as far as i can push it. Or will it eventually jump and go even further. its just so hard to care for being so long and so fine. I wear it up A LOT but i love it down the most. and yes microtrimming over the years has made my hemline beautiful.

Syn, i think you are going to go further than waist. I mean you have already amazed yourself at how far you have grown already - i mean seriously, stuck at shoulder and now down to waist! That is amazing!

La Sphynge
February 20th, 2019, 01:39 PM
Thank you LittleTea and Cg!

And thanks LittleTea for the feedback on the oil and cassia. I did try to google it but never found much information on these adverse results, so it's a relief to know that it happens to other people and that I didn't necessarily do something wrong.

It's so ironic that I was originally using the coconut oil as a carrier oil for castor oil, in an attempt to boost my hair growth and volume, and instead ended up shedding so much. That and the cassia misfortune kinda make me fear trying other experiments, but... I'm still curious about a lot of things.

I've heard about catnip before, and I'm intrigued. I tried it once with a regular catnip tea and didn't see that much of a difference (I'm not sure if it' even supposed to add any shine or visual change at all, actually), but then I was told you have to boil it for like 5 hours or so - which I hadn't, I made it like any regular infusion to drink. It sounds a bit tedious, but I'll look into the details and might give it a try regardless, at least once (my cats will probably go nuts lol).

I'll try to upload pictures and progress shortly. ^_^

meljan
February 24th, 2019, 11:37 PM
Ooooo I’m glad to read this because my hair always “stalls” at BSL and before spending time here and realizing that I treat my hair like crap I assumed that was my terminal!

meljan
February 24th, 2019, 11:51 PM
Wheeee, I think I belong here. I have 1b hair, and baby fine. My ponytail is 2.5 inches but coming here is the first time I’ve ever heard that my density is in the normal realm (all through cosmetology school I was told I have extremely thin hair 🤷*♀️).

meljan
February 24th, 2019, 11:54 PM
What a bummer! I’m blonde and live in all black clothing 😂

meljan
February 24th, 2019, 11:55 PM
Oh geez. I didn’t realize that quick replies don’t automatically include the original post, so here I am talking to myself - HA!

fluffyshidah
February 25th, 2019, 06:49 AM
I definitely belong here! 1b/f/m/i hairtype. My black hairs are pretty fine that individual strands look rather silver. My greys on the other hand are a pretty solid medium thickness (ugh premature greying). As long as my hair length stays shoulder length and up I can get a 2inch pony circumference. Once it gets longer the smaller the circumference gets. Definitely going to go through this thread to read up on advice on how to deal especially with tangles :)