PDA

View Full Version : Thin/Fine Hair Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

misstwist
August 29th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Sometimes I get "gaps" of scalp in my updos. I have a very fine wooden comb to smooth them out. HTH :)

Yes, I use the BBB over my scalp after putting my hair up to align everything and fill in the gaps.

Thanks so much! Yes, I did see the addicted to castor oil thread, and was really interested in that, but thought that would also be too heavy for my fine hair, but now I think I may try that. Thanks!

I don't find that castor oil is too heavy, but I only use it on the ends. I tend to mix it with aloe vera gel and sometimes add some shea butter. It is quite sticky, so it works better for me to use it on damp hair or to use it with other, more moisturizing things mixed in.

It works well for me in giving my curls more presence. I imagine in straighter hair it might make the hair look stringy.

Danamarie
August 30th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I also have very fine hair. I've been looking at the posts, and the Henna sounds interesting, but will it only give you a red color?

I'm only just starting to grow mine, it's about 15" long now (not quite shoulder length). You know, that awkward in between stage. I can't **quite** put it up, so I do still blow dry it a few times a week. It looks absolutely HORRIBLE if I just let it air dry. I hope to stop blowdrying it when it's long enough to where I can always wear it up. I also want to start CO washing it this week. I really like this website, I've been lurking for a week or two. I guess one of the big questions I have is...I read where it is good to brush your hair with a BBB every day to spread the natural oils around and to stimulate the scalp to grow hair faster. But from what I've been reading here, it looks like no one does that here. Should I stop doing that?

From way back when in the early 90's, I have only been washing my hair every 3-4 days, so my scalp does not get oily at all. Also, I don't have any trouble with tangles. I'm using cone filled stuff now, when I'm done with the bottle I have, I think I will try to switch to cone free. I've also got an SLS free shampoo, but I'm not sure if I like it a whole lot. It makes my hair dry.

I also do a heavy oiling the night before I wash, can I do that before I wash with conditioner only? When I try to oil it in between when it's dry, it gets really greasy, but right now I'm using an Herbal Hair Oil, and it may be too heavy, not sure. I want to try coconut/jojoba oil soon and see if there is any difference.

I was worried about CO wash after oiling the night before so I tried it on the weekend in case I had to go back and rewash with shampoo. I used Suave clarifying conditioner for my CO wash and my hair was great - soft and shiney! I used castor oil btw.

jasper
September 6th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Sometimes I think my hair is too thin to be long, but I have to remember that it is still thin if I cut it.

Ponytale
September 6th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Jasper, I have had that thought too (although I have always kept it long anyway). I have compromised and I keep it trimmed blunt now to look healthy. I do keep it shorter than I once did because one side just gets stragly for some reason whenever it gains an inch. Maybe this is "my" terminal length. It may grow longer, but it does it with one side (the side with the cowlic and the part) looking sadly unhealthy.

Rain76
September 7th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I have a question (or rather, several) about using cones with thin/fine hair. My hair is fragile, and I have very broken off ends, that are very uneven. I use coconut oil about 2x a week, but have recently tried mixing a little Pantene conditioner w/a non-cone conditioner, to see if that helps the look of my hair. I just want it to be less fly-away, and have a more silky & healthy look to it. It helped only somewhat. 1st question is: Is it "ok" to experiment with cones, and only use them sometimes, or once they are in your hair, you may as well use them all the time? Also, do cones hold in moisture, and would it be pointless for me to still use coconut oil? I am really wanting to improve the strength of my strands, b/c they snap much too easily. Thanks!

ary99
September 7th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I'm struggling with this as well. I have a nice wide tooth comb, and really just try not to mess with it very much. I constantly have lots of little baby hairs that never seem to fit anywhere.

Jeni
September 8th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I have a question (or rather, several) about using cones with thin/fine hair. My hair is fragile, and I have very broken off ends, that are very uneven. I use coconut oil about 2x a week, but have recently tried mixing a little Pantene conditioner w/a non-cone conditioner, to see if that helps the look of my hair. I just want it to be less fly-away, and have a more silky & healthy look to it. It helped only somewhat. 1st question is: Is it "ok" to experiment with cones, and only use them sometimes, or once they are in your hair, you may as well use them all the time? Also, do cones hold in moisture, and would it be pointless for me to still use coconut oil? I am really wanting to improve the strength of my strands, b/c they snap much too easily. Thanks!

If your hair likes cones then use cones. Whatever your hair likes then you should do. Cones aren't evil unless your hair doesn't like them. I'm pretty sure there are other people on here that use oils and cones together. Experiment (slowly) and see what your hair likes.

smerrie
September 8th, 2009, 04:34 PM
*Raises hand.* This definitely applies to me. I have found that layers help a lot, especially shorter face framing ones around my face. I always have the most volume after I have it blow dried by my stylist - she uses a round brush and a defuser and blow dries each section straight up and then lets it drop into place without brushing it down. It sounds odd, but basically it gives me loose bouncy strands that curl about a bit at the bottom. Wish I could perfect the skill and had more time, I would do this method every day!

tangocurl
September 8th, 2009, 05:17 PM
If your hair likes cones then use cones. Whatever your hair likes then you should do. Cones aren't evil unless your hair doesn't like them. I'm pretty sure there are other people on here that use oils and cones together. Experiment (slowly) and see what your hair likes.

There are some commercially available products that create interesting "tousled" textures by having both the cone and the oil liquids in the bottle. You actually have to shake it up like salad dressing before spraying it on your hair. There were threads about this on the old board, I believe. Some of them contain sea salt and there are also some homemade recipes designed to mimic such products with glycerin in place of the cone.

It might work with castor oil. Something about castor oil is very thick and petroleum-ish (don't mean to kill the mood for anyone). It could be mixed in a spray bottle with a little glycerin and sea salt to achieve an appearance of thick texture. It would look very good to define bun waves, I think. I don't think it would create "crunchiness" that thinner oils such as grapeseed can do if too much is applied.....

Danamarie
September 8th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I use a cone in my styling product but not in shampoo or conditioner. I can't find styling products without cones that actually work or I'd use them. There are strengthening shampoos and conditioners. Even VO5 makes them and I use them. There's one that advertises to make hair 5 times stronger but I think it has cones in it. My baby-fine hair is fairly strong already for as fine as it is, mostly because I take hair vitamins and such. It stopped shedding about 2 weeks after I started them. They don't help strengthen the hair that is already grown but they definitely hold onto the folicle longer and makes the new hair stronger. I still blow dry as it looks as baby-fine as it actually is when I don't. I just use the cool setting now. I also use a curling iron on low to make the ends go under a bit which makes it look thicker. I fake thicker hair and I've gotten quite good at it... That won't be so easy as it gets longer.

BTW, your hair is beautiful Rain.

MissManda
September 9th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I'm another fine-hair checking in here! Although I think my hair (especially on the top of my head) might be border-lining on medium. When I stopped the perming and started using no-cone shampoo, the individual hairs started getting thicker! Is this normal at all? In any case, I am very happy that my hair is becoming healthier!

For the longest time, I thought my hair was type 1a (stick straight), but I've also noticed that the ends of my virgin hair have a sort of wave in them.

I haven't started oiling my hair yet. I am not sure where I can buy them. I just moved to my current town, and I am still getting familiar with it, so I hope that I'll find some eventually.

jasper
September 9th, 2009, 07:05 PM
For the longest time, I thought my hair was type 1a (stick straight), but I've also noticed that the ends of my virgin hair have a sort of wave in them.
I've always thought my hair was very straight too, but when it air dries down, it has a fair bit of wave. I have a sneaking suspicion that if it was short, it would dry straight, but as it is long, it picks up that wave from drying against my non-straight, curvy, lumpy body. :rolleyes:

Esperanza
September 10th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I've always thought my hair was very straight too, but when it air dries down, it has a fair bit of wave. I have a sneaking suspicion that if it was short, it would dry straight, but as it is long, it picks up that wave from drying against my non-straight, curvy, lumpy body. :rolleyes:

LOL--maybe that is what has happened to mine! I used to have the straightest hair imaginable, but lately it has become a bit wavy when I wrap in a towel for a couple of minutes and then let it hang down my back and don't even finger comb until it is dry.

I am beginning to get some gray hairs, and they are coarser and not as straight as what I am used to, but it does seem that even the brown is wavier.:ponder:

MissManda
September 13th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Yeah, even my baby hairs are slightly curling at the ends.

I don't finger-comb much. I remember my grandmother would always try to scold me for trying to finger-comb it when I was living with her. It doesn't seem to help very much, so I use a wide-toothed comb. It's a plastic one, but hopefully I'll get a nice horn one eventually.

Tinose
September 20th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I was wondering how other fine-haired people brush their hair. I find that my hair's too fine and tangly to be effectively detangled by combs, but just a little too thick for pure bristle brushes. I usually use a paddle brush (I even found one where each of the bristles was surrounded by boar bristles, which is really nice when I'm trying to smooth out my hair so I can put it up), but it's a lot harsher on my hair than either the boar bristles or the combs, and fine hair's so delicate I hate to do that to it. Has anyone found any good ways of handling this?

GlennaGirl
September 20th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I'm glad to see this thread pop up again. I'm having kind of a "down" day as regards my hair. It just sits sooooooooooo close against my scalp. It's like there's almost no hair there. Sometimes I think I look stupid.

OTOH, what are my options? This is all against the scalp that I'm talking about. And bobbing it doesn't make it "bob back up" near the top to give volume either (I've tried it).

Just feeling down about this slicked-scalp hair. :( My face looks huge compared to these strings of hair. I feel like Gollum. (http://ithinkimdying.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/gollum2.jpg)

heidihug
September 21st, 2009, 08:26 AM
I'm sorry to hear you are having a bad hair episode, GlennaGirl. When I am feeling that way, a surefire cure is to put my hair up in a cool new updo. Or I do an intricate braid. It makes me feel better about my hair, and reminds me of the reason I grew it in the first place. And, it looks a lot less flat!

GlennaGirl
September 21st, 2009, 02:55 PM
I'm sorry to hear you are having a bad hair episode, GlennaGirl. When I am feeling that way, a surefire cure is to put my hair up in a cool new updo. Or I do an intricate braid. It makes me feel better about my hair, and reminds me of the reason I grew it in the first place. And, it looks a lot less flat!

Thanks, heidihug. Maybe I'll do a very loose braid folded over itself. My hair is still short enough that this comes out pretty much like a braided bun and it looks like a lot of hair by comparison.

Thank you!

jivete
September 21st, 2009, 09:32 PM
I'm glad to see this thread pop up again. I'm having kind of a "down" day as regards my hair. It just sits sooooooooooo close against my scalp. It's like there's almost no hair there.

I'm sorry to hear you're having a bad day. When mine feels too flat, I usually poof up the top a little and secure it with a barette or pin it. I've also found that corn-starch really helps give the top more volume when it's just a little too oily. Sometimes, fine hair can just be too sleek. My ears like to poke out the sides every now and again.

Suisan
September 21st, 2009, 09:57 PM
I hear you on the flat top-of-the-head issue. Sometimes it's OK, but other times it's not what I want my hair to be doing.

I usually resolve it by using small ponytails at the top of my head. I gather up the hair from my ear forward on each side of the part. Then I brush the section up and back and make a teeny ponytail which sits just past the crown of my head. If I do them too far forward sometimes they look like puppy ears, but if I can secure them just past the "horizon" of my head it seems to work.

Once this is done I can leave it down, or I can put the rest up in an updo. I find that having the front hair pulled up and back makes me feel better about my fine hair. The hair at the hairline end up going up and back, so that makes the top look fuller and poofier, at least to me. Maybe this will help.

On the brushing thing -- I use a boar bristle brush with no porcupine quills. It doesn't penetrate all the way through my hair, but any brush that does seems to be too hard and causes breakage. I rely on a widetooth comb and my fingers mostly.

tangocurl
September 21st, 2009, 11:48 PM
When I have flat-at-scalp hair, I do a deep side part with a rat-tail comb, slick it down, and put it in some sort of hairstick bun. The deep side part can look very chic.

Just try to run with whatever your hair is giving you on any particular day....

embee
September 22nd, 2009, 05:25 AM
Sorry to hear about the Flat-Hair day. Been there myself. For me it's like that short or long, and more fun long so here I am. :)

Interesting idea about the deep side part, tangocurl. I'll give that a try - it will be quite a change.

MsBubbles
September 23rd, 2009, 12:34 PM
Ha Ha, Glennagirl! I think I look like Gollum on my 2nd day (greasy, flat, wear it in a bun). The sticky-out ears don't help that image, either!

For me, every day is Flat Hair Day. LOL! It's just these days I don't blow fry it, in the vain hope that it will change...

embee
September 23rd, 2009, 05:22 PM
Well, I tried the deep side part. For me it was FAIL. It kinda looked like I was going bald on the side where the part was. Bummer. :(

tangocurl
September 25th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Well, I tried the deep side part. For me it was FAIL. It kinda looked like I was going bald on the side where the part was. Bummer. :(

Hmm. Don't give up. Try the other side--most people have hair that is thicker on one side than the other. Or, try the part at an angle, so that it starts out deeper by your face and then goes in a diagonal across the top of your head so that it finishes closer to the center at the crown. I hope that was easily understood :)

GlennaGirl
September 25th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I tried this deep side part idea ending in a very sleek chignon and the look was perfect. Thanks for the tips, guys.

tangocurl
September 27th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Awesome! It is a nice way to have a slicked back bun without looking like a mean lady.

MsBubbles
November 7th, 2009, 09:05 PM
It seems I have been dealing with thinning hair for the past 4 years.
It has been a very slow relentless process that sneaks up on you.
Mine started when my hair dresser noticed some broken off hairs at the back
of my neck. I blamed it on wearing my chain necklace to bed and shrugged it off. Well it didn't stop there. It got worse, especially when I went through some very stressful times. My shower drain and bed sheets really began to show just how much hair I was loosing.
I did end up going to my Chiropractor and through a biofeedback machine and muscle testing I learned I had an under active thyroid.
I took some vitamins( Standard Process) and ate foods to support my thyroid and eliminated the stress and my hair stopped falling out.

I'm sorry I didn't post about this sooner...but it doesn't sound like you're taking actual thyroid replacement meds for your underactive thyroid. If you take the meds, which may only be a small dosage, it might be the missing link towards restoring your hair to its former thickness.

I resisted taking thyroid medication for a few years when I was in my 20s. I wish I had not done that. I don't like medication but in this case, there's no way I'd ever want to go without my thyroid meds. Personally I found I could not do for myself what the medication does, purely by taking vitamins and eating certain foods. I tried it. It didn't work. Just my side of the story. It might provide the answer to your hair thinning problem.

Pony Girl
November 7th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I'm In !:heartbeat

I have extremely fine hair and not a lot of it either. I am of Eurasian decent my mother is Irish/Burmese and my father is Burmese. My natural hair colour is Black however I get it bleached to a caramel blonde (Beyonce style) at the hairdressers regularly and find as it is bleached it does give me more volume than when I was a kid with very healthy virginal hair.

I use regular oil treatments, usually De Lorenzo oil balance (leave it in overnight and shampoo and condition in the morning) and use only salon quality shampoo and conditioner. L'Oreal professional range has some beautiful serums that are so feather light they are truly amazing, I use the serum on my length and ends. Using a clarifying shampoo once a week is a must to stop product build up.

It is very important to treat fine hair with the utmost of care as it can be so fragile, using a satin pillowcase at night is a good idea also. :)

Kris Dove
November 8th, 2009, 02:35 AM
I think I look like Gollum on my 2nd day (greasy, flat, wear it in a bun).That sounds like my hair- I'm trying to wash every other day instead of every single day, but I really hate my hair on day 2. And the colour is just awful- so that's why dirty blonde hair gets it's name! I use a little talc most days, but if I really need to look good on day 2 I just wash it!

I'm also growing out my fringe/bangs, one reason being to give a little volume to the rest of my hair- adding that when measuring my pony circumference takes it up to a i/ii!

(And also as it looks awful so quickly after washing, even by the end of wash day. I've tried washing just the fringe on day 2 but that's a bit of a faff. Plus there's the natural wave and cows' lick which mean that even if I get it to sit perfectly before leaving the house, by the end of the day it's a mess. I like the look of bangs but my hair type just doesn't pull it off very well unfortunately)

tangocurl
December 4th, 2009, 07:01 AM
I like the look of bangs but my hair type just doesn't pull it off very well unfortunately)

I know what you mean. I just don't have enough hair for bangs. My hair is also not straight enough for the bangs to look right.

kittymomma
December 4th, 2009, 07:27 AM
I'm in the same boat! I need something to tame the fuzzies, but gel is too heavy, and spray gels are too crunchy...I've been making a "shake bottle" of the following, which seems to work pretty well so far (in order of quantity, the water makes up most of this recipe):

Distilled water
Aloe gel (and sometimes aloe juice)
Set Me Up gel
Jojoba oil (few drops)
Tea tree oil (few drops)

The thread on castor oil has me thinking that I may try that...in addition to the "Doo Gro" oil, which seems pretty light...anyone used that??

Babyfine
December 4th, 2009, 07:28 AM
I know what you mean. I just don't have enough hair for bangs. My hair is also not straight enough for the bangs to look right.

Same here, although when I did have bangs I just set them on a smooth metal roller to straighten them(I'm just a 2A)heat free
My problem, though, is that in order for the bangs to look decent I have to cut them rather thick, which means taking away too much volume from the "body" of my hair.

starlights
December 4th, 2009, 07:34 AM
yep i used to have thin and fine hair... but i tell you head massages (weekly) sure sorted than thin problem out ;) get a boyfriend, friend, (anyone) to give you a 5 minute head massage, and after a month or so you will notice your hair thickening, thats what happened to me... and i got alot of compliments about it! thin hair is not a good look, but the hard water & chemicals and shampoo and poor conditioning does not help our sensitive hair!

UP Lisa
December 4th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I think I look better with bangs, but I finally gave up on them. My hair is so fine that it would just stick together in clumps and look horrible. I would have to be constantly combing through it to keep it separated.

tangocurl
December 4th, 2009, 03:05 PM
yep i used to have thin and fine hair... but i tell you head massages (weekly) sure sorted than thin problem out ;) get a boyfriend, friend, (anyone) to give you a 5 minute head massage, and after a month or so you will notice your hair thickening, thats what happened to me... and i got alot of compliments about it! thin hair is not a good look, but the hard water & chemicals and shampoo and poor conditioning does not help our sensitive hair!

Also might consider...a Sprite shower head filter has made a big difference for me in texture. I have used it fairly consistently for about 2 years.

hippie girl
December 4th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I never liked having bangs and spent most of my "kid years" growing them out. For some reason my mom thought I needed them. Cut, grow out, cut, grow out, repeat.

I made the mistake of allowing them to be cut on the advice of a salon worker once around 13 maybe. Spent more years growing them out.

Point is, I decided early on that "straight and fine' for me meant "long with no bangs".
Bangs only ever meant having to grow out bangs.
Never again.

HoneyBun
December 4th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Sometimes I think my hair is too thin to be long, but I have to remember that it is still thin if I cut it.

This is me!

I just saw this thread, and I'm home! My hair is thin, fine and very fragile. I have accepted the fact that this is the way it is, and have decided to grow it as long as it will go.

I will keep a watchful eye on this thread! :)

jivete
December 10th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Also might consider...a Sprite shower head filter has made a big difference for me in texture. I have used it fairly consistently for about 2 years.

I just bought a vitashower, which although different than the sprite, is similar because it removes pretty much all chlorine and chloramines. I love my filter. It's made my hair so silky. The one I bought uses ascorbic acid and the only problem I'm having is a bit of stringiness. It's the same problem I get when I use an ACV rinse with more than a splach of ACV. I may need to ease up on the conditioner but I'll take that over dry, rough hair.

MonicaV2544
January 11th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Ive come to terms with my thin hair. If it feels clean, isnt dry, frizzy or damaged and its long I cant complain. I love my hair and love tending to its natural state.

UP Lisa
January 12th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Good Attitude!

K_Angel
January 12th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Greetings fellow fine hairs!!!! :)

I just found this thread. Sorry I'm late to the party! :rollin:

I'm 2a/F and lots and lots of products weigh my hair down.

I'm going to have to read through the thread, but just wanted to say hello! :)

K_Angel
January 12th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Ok, wow! It's going to take a while to read through the whole thread...

Until then, can I share my hair problem areas and someone can point me to the right message for the answer?

My hair tangles like it's got nothing better to do with itself. I will wide tooth comb through it and think I've conquered the nasty "snarl monster" only to discover if I comb one more time, there's three more tangles. And even when my hair is dry it's like that.

I seem to have done a good enough job on finally getting the big "rats nest," that used to occur regularly, under basic control (unless I try something new and then the "rats nest monster" appears again out of nowhere!). :rollin:

And frankly, I don't know what to use. It seems like most detanglers depend largely on oils and such that just flatten my hair to a "wet rodent" look.

Anyway, any suggestions are gratefully welcomed! :)

girlcat36
January 12th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Ive come to terms with my thin hair. If it feels clean, isnt dry, frizzy or damaged and its long I cant complain. I love my hair and love tending to its natural state.

Your hair looks really pretty on your profile page!

heidihug
January 12th, 2010, 09:50 AM
My hair tangles like it's got nothing better to do with itself.
Ah, yes, K_Angel. Mine does, too. No amount or type of product will help me with this. It's not the more damaged ends that tangle, either, it's the middle part, from neck down. Most of the tangles are a result of friction from rubbing against clothes. This became untenable after I got to about BSL, it got so bad that I had to start wearing it up all the time. I only wear it down out of the house once a year now.

Wish I had better advice for you, I prefer my hair up; but if you prefer to wear it down other people with the same problem might be of more help.

LaurelSpring
January 12th, 2010, 09:57 AM
You're very welcome! I hope it works for you. :D

p.s. I'm going to enable you some more and also recommend the Dairy Whip. It's great stuff.

Sorry to Hijack a bit here but is it flowermoon dairy whip? Last time I checked the site was down. I love that stuff and I have been hoarding my last tub to stretch it.

My hair is fine also. Cones limp it out. SLS makes it greasy but I use it to clarify and when Im in a hurry. The Cassia/henna/amla will give it some thickness. Especially the amla. It doesnt last that long but its nice for awhile.

I went through a phase of using alot of coconut oil and the buildup from that gave me some interesting thickness. Also using cocoa powder as a dry shampoo to stretch washes gave me some good thickness and also a good caffeine buzz..

Setting at night helped some. I put it in a satin scruncii pony and divided the pony into about 4 chunks and wrapped on while pillow rollers. That lasted a couple of hours anyway and gave me some bulk for updos.

I have also cheated some. I have one of those fake hair scrunciis and I use it to bulk up my dos sometimes.

Thats about all the things I can think of that have helped me at the moment. I love to find out more!

Alexannee10
January 12th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Mine is fine to .. I have a loooooot of hair so they look thick, but if you look at one single hair, it is very fine .. So I check in!

Stormy1
January 12th, 2010, 12:05 PM
what's the difference between fine and thin - I always thought they were the same thing?

MandyBeth
January 12th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Check in with fine hair, but lots of it.

Fine is if it's really smooth, hard to feel if you run it between your fingers.

Thin is if you are a type i in hair - there isn't a lot there.

F with ii/iii isn't any more fun than f, i hair - the toys meant for fine hair don't hold or break if I try them, but the toys meant for thick hair break my hair. Grrrrr.......... Like with Flexi-8 - the small says it should hold a half up or a twist with thin hair, which I took to be fine. My bad. It barely holds a half-up tail, and even then will just fall out.

If your hair is snarling at your nape - you can try french braiding "sideways" that section at least at night. That keeps everything pretty well behaved - or at least not knotted.

I'm currently trying shampoo bar with a protein conditioner and doing CWC daily. If I don't wash daily, my hair just will not do anything and it is awful - but it doesn't do well without the protection before the soap. Previously I wasn't impressed with proteins, but I was still using cones then. Now with henna, plus no SLS and no cones - it's starting to behave in a reasonable fashion.

AstrayStar
January 12th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I have really fine hair and didn't have any fullness in my hair until I went no poo. It took some experimenting, but I finally got a ratio of bs/acv that was fabulous for my hair. I have also been working on stretching washes and reducing the amount used to wash. Had weaned the amount of baking soda necessary to clean hair down to a 1/4 tsp in a cup of warm water. I have always used varying amounts of acv. I also comb hair with a wide tooth comb while in the shower while running water over it. Best way to minimize tangles for me. I also have recently discovered that using tea rinses helps minimize tangles for me. My favorite so far is calendula. I am still experimenting with others. I am also experimneting with wo/herb washes at the moment so my hair is in a bit of flux at the moment. But unless I have over oiled or over moisturized I still have more fullness than when I was shampooing or co-ing. I have also learned from this website that this doesn't really work for a lot of people, but I am very happy it works for me.

My favorite up do is either a bun or a tails up pinned up with a claw clip. I never knew tails up was the name for what I did til I was checking out the flexi 8's website, which I am very tempted to try for my hair. So pretty!

MonicaV2544
January 12th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Your hair looks really pretty on your profile page!

Thank you girlcat36. I think thats a first time anyone has ever said that. :D

MandyBeth
January 12th, 2010, 03:53 PM
My favorite up do is either a bun or a tails up pinned up with a claw clip. I never knew tails up was the name for what I did til I was checking out the flexi 8's website, which I am very tempted to try for my hair. So pretty!

How do you get the claw clip to stay in? I either pop the spring open, or they are too big and thus fall out.

I tend to start with an elastic with the ends flipped up and not pulled all the way thru, but wind up sticking a pen or my chopsticks in my hair part way thru the day, because *bad hair, bad bad bad hair* my hair is too slippery and thus things fall out.

girlcat36
January 12th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Thank you girlcat36. I think thats a first time anyone has ever said that. :D

You're welcome!

AstrayStar
January 12th, 2010, 04:50 PM
How do you get the claw clip to stay in? I either pop the spring open, or they are too big and thus fall out.

I tend to start with an elastic with the ends flipped up and not pulled all the way thru, but wind up sticking a pen or my chopsticks in my hair part way thru the day, because *bad hair, bad bad bad hair* my hair is too slippery and thus things fall out.

For the tails up I use a small claw that is about 1"-1 1/2" big that came with one of those stay-put elastics built into the inside of it. I love that claw!

I sometimes hold my bun up with a 2 of those mini clips, which are like 1" long 1/2" wide, and I use one where I have tucked my length in and one on the opposite side for balance and to hold against my head.

HTH! :D
It looks like your hair may be thicker than mine, which may make a difference as well.

MonicaV2544
January 12th, 2010, 04:54 PM
You're welcome!

I think your curly locks are also very beautiful. You should be very proud to wear them:)

Alcenaia
January 12th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Whoa, this thread is for me! Going to read through and see what my fellow fine haired people say.

I can relate to the small bun problem. My hair is long enough to do Leia buns...but I stuff them. Don't tell! :wink:

girlcat36
January 12th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I think your curly locks are also very beautiful. You should be very proud to wear them:)

Awww, thanks! :)

mrs_b
January 12th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Joining this tread! My hair is fine on the low side of normal/medium. Good thing is I don't have a problem with limpness, quite opposite. My hair has a lots of body and I even try sometimes to weigh it down with moisturizing products. Leave-in conditioner (Giovanni) works the best for me. I tried to oil but since it's easy to overdo it and most of the time end up with greasy hair I oil my hair only before I wash it.
The back of my hair is armpit length, the sides are slightly passing my shoulder and the bangs almost touching my shoulders.
Color wise I have my natural brown color for over 12 year now, I am mostly pepper with a bit of salt (yes! as you can see I noticed the special thread for salt and pepper ladies and I am going to join them).

girlcat36
January 12th, 2010, 06:39 PM
My hair is LIMP. No volume. Wimpy. Flat. It's like baby hair.

Olde Soul
January 12th, 2010, 06:47 PM
My pet peeve is that I have tailbone length hair, but it looks BSL or shorter when I put it up because there's so little of it. :wail:

Bonkers57
January 12th, 2010, 08:00 PM
You and me both! :( And prolly a lot of people on this thread...that's why it's called the Thin/Fine Hair Thread - lol! My husband loves my hair though because it's so soft; he's legally blind and his enjoyment of my hair is tactile. I'm learning to be more accepting of my hair's limits.

My hair is LIMP. No volume. Wimpy. Flat. It's like baby hair.

K_Angel
January 14th, 2010, 03:24 PM
*****double post********

K_Angel
January 14th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Ah, yes, K_Angel. Mine does, too. No amount or type of product will help me with this. It's not the more damaged ends that tangle, either, it's the middle part, from neck down. Most of the tangles are a result of friction from rubbing against clothes. This became untenable after I got to about BSL, it got so bad that I had to start wearing it up all the time. I only wear it down out of the house once a year now.

Wish I had better advice for you, I prefer my hair up; but if you prefer to wear it down other people with the same problem might be of more help.
My rat's nest is always half way between my neckline and the top of my head! Ugh! Perfect place for a nasty mangled hair knots!

I have virgin hair so I have no damage to speak of that causes this...

Hopefully someone on here will have conquered the dreaded tangly hair.

helanek
January 16th, 2010, 08:09 PM
tangles... lots with shampoos. since i started using soaps with oils and following vinegar - i dont even have to comb. :) i know it sounds too good to be true, but i am still shocked myself every time i use regular shampoo and have to deal with knots. hope it will help somebody. :)

Tinwe
January 26th, 2010, 09:24 AM
This thread is for me! I have flat hair. I mean very flat, quite fine and stick straight. Since kid I've had trouble braiding my hair - it's so slippery it just slips out of braids. My mom had to make braids very tight in the morning so they would stay until afternoon. I felt like my scalp was streching, them braids were so tight. My hair still slipped out of braids, I didn't have too neat looks at afternoon...

I've had long hair most of my life, and I've often felt myself frustrated because of all that limpiness and flatness... Buns? Well, that would've been nice, if my hair hadn't fallen out of buns because it's slippery like glass.

So, one day few years ago I wen't and cut my hair. It was very short, pixie cut, sometimes about 2 inches long. But - it was still flat. And I noticed, that having a really short flat hair is much more complicated than having a long flat hair. I always had to put wax and stuff in my hair, or... Well talk about looking like Gollum!

Now I decided to grow back long hair. At the moment my hair is suprisingly fluffy and big - well, to someone this could be still flat, but for myself this is improvement. I've been eating well, enough and stuff that is good for myself. I had bulimia when I was younger, and the monster of eating disorder still lurks there when I'm having bad moments, and I tend to eat too little, not stuff that is good for me etc. So eating well is certainly showing in my hair! I'm using shampoo bars + vinegar rinses now, sometimes pre-wash oiling etc. My hair seems to like the way I treat it now. So I'm looking forward how this goes... maybe my hair will be flat when longer, but not THAT flat... Not like cow had licked it flat to my head but just normal "not fluffy" flat. :D

heidihug
January 26th, 2010, 09:48 AM
And I noticed, that having a really short flat hair is much more complicated than having a long flat hair.
Ah, yes, Tinwe. I think many of us thin and fine haired LHC members have learned the epic fail of the really short haircut experiment.

UP Lisa
January 26th, 2010, 11:15 AM
My hair routine is so much easier with my hair long.

rags
January 26th, 2010, 12:17 PM
not THAT flat... Not like cow had licked it flat to my head :D

Okay, I'm not liking my hair today and this made me literally laugh out loud. Perfect! (Now I will have that mental image everytime my hair looks like this! :p)

Oh, and I have lots of trouble with braids too. My hair literally slides right out of them. I usually redo them halfway through the day.

MsBubbles
April 12th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Ah, yes, Tinwe. I think many of us thin and fine haired LHC members have learned the epic fail of the really short haircut experiment.

Ha ha yes! You can add me to that list. Talk about looking like I have no head at all (with short hair). It was all 'Lady Di's' fault.

MissMay
April 13th, 2010, 03:31 AM
I have fine, thin hair too =(

I swear, I've spent so much money in the past on volumising and thickening products which only made my hair sticky =O

However, I struggle most with flyaways. Does anyone know how to tame them without hairspray?

farewell_nancy
April 13th, 2010, 04:17 AM
I have fine, thin hair too =(
However, I struggle most with flyaways. Does anyone know how to tame them without hairspray?

I've always had super fine frizzy curls along my hairline by my ears. I looked like Dagwood whenever I pulled my hair back, but as much as I hated it I had resigned myself to that just being my hair. Then my enemy ear-curlies dropped off dramatically (but not completely) when I quit quit shampooing my scalp. I just condition my length and every once and a while I'll wash with an egg.

It seems my flyaways were overwhelmingly the result of shampooing sucking the moisture out of my most delicate hairs. So you might want to consider dryness as the culprit.

Bethie
April 13th, 2010, 05:33 AM

My mother used Aloe Vera Gel (AVG) to help tame some flyaways when I was little. I haven't used it since I turned 16, AVG and my hair do not like each other.

Ksenia
April 13th, 2010, 08:53 AM

That made me lol. I did the super-short (2") haircut when I was about 10 and it was the most hideous, dreadful thing ever. My mother insisted that my hair would look so much more voluminous if I cut it, and I was being bullied by a girl who attacked me and tried to pull out my hair, so I gave the short hair a try. Even then my hair lay flat and lifeless, and for years I kept getting mistaken for a boy. I have come to terms with the fineness of my hair, and in fact have learned to appreciate it, but I still struggle with the thinness.

Does anyone else find that they have thicker and thinner spots? For me, I have very little hair on the sides of my head, where the hair is almost transparent like a baby's in spots, while the back of my head has so much hair that it takes hours to dry.

I love my sock buns! They make me feel like I have the length of hair that I actually do :) If I just put my hair up in a bun when dry, I look like I'm APL. Anyone know how to make a wider sock bun? Just wrapping one tube onto another onto another adds a lot of outward bulk and makes the centre hole tiny, so when I braid the ends it's not as dramatic because the braid gets overpowered by the height of the sock bun.

breezefaerie
April 15th, 2010, 01:36 PM
I have some really thin spots where my hair "cleavage" shows. Looks like I'm almost bald in those spots!

rags
April 15th, 2010, 01:41 PM
My hair is much, much thinner on the front of my head. The back is at least twice as thick as the top and crown of my head. And I too have the dreaded " cleavage" :scared:

heidihug
April 15th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I've been bemoaning my hair "cleavage", too. My hairline is gradually thinning (and has always been thin) around my face. I still wear my hair pulled back most of the time, because it's most convenient, but it looks better when I wear (carefully placed) side-swept bangs/fringe. There are some hairstyle that I simply could not wear if it weren't for hairspray, and side-swept anything is one of them.

verene
April 15th, 2010, 05:39 PM
I love my sock buns! They make me feel like I have the length of hair that I actually do :) If I just put my hair up in a bun when dry, I look like I'm APL. Anyone know how to make a wider sock bun? Just wrapping one tube onto another onto another adds a lot of outward bulk and makes the centre hole tiny, so when I braid the ends it's not as dramatic because the braid gets overpowered by the height of the sock bun.

Have you tried Loepsie's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM) technique for sock buns? You use up all of your hair in making the bun so it pads it and makes it even bigger. (I think there is a photo in my album of my hair in a sock bun - it is a BIG bun.)

Bonkers57
April 16th, 2010, 08:40 AM
I think you should write a horror story involving hair and rats! :laugh: Rats Nest Monster :laugh:

But seriously, I find that just plain vinegar and water after shampooing makes my tangles fall out. Same with White Rain Coconut Conditioner (no cones) or Herbal Essences Drama Clean Light Conditioner (cones). I switch them around a lot and use a clarifying shampoo (VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze) about once a week to fight buildup. :guns:

Ok, wow! It's going to take a while to read through the whole thread...

Until then, can I share my hair problem areas and someone can point me to the right message for the answer?

My hair tangles like it's got nothing better to do with itself. I will wide tooth comb through it and think I've conquered the nasty "snarl monster" only to discover if I comb one more time, there's three more tangles. And even when my hair is dry it's like that.

I seem to have done a good enough job on finally getting the big "rats nest," that used to occur regularly, under basic control (unless I try something new and then the "rats nest monster" appears again out of nowhere!). :rollin:

And frankly, I don't know what to use. It seems like most detanglers depend largely on oils and such that just flatten my hair to a "wet rodent" look.

Anyway, any suggestions are gratefully welcomed! :)

UP Lisa
April 16th, 2010, 09:12 AM
My hair has always been super tangly. It doesn't matter how many times I comb through it. New tangles form as soon as the comb gets through it.

My hair is also thinner on the sides and front. It also does not grow as long in those areas. I hate it! I can only get the front to stay in high updos.

NotOfThisWorld
April 16th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Yeah my hair tangles as soon as the brush is gone too. I hate it. Never found a perfect solution. It can be up or down and it tangles.

K_Angel
April 17th, 2010, 12:21 AM
What dilution would I want the vinegar to be? TIA! :flower:

Bonkers57
April 18th, 2010, 02:50 PM
1 Tablespoon vinegar to 8 oz. water.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you!

What dilution would I want the vinegar to be? TIA! :flower:

K_Angel
April 18th, 2010, 05:33 PM
1 Tablespoon vinegar to 8 oz. water.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you!
Excellent! Thank you very much! :)

Miss Misha
April 21st, 2010, 02:02 PM
Hi all, new to LHC and been lurking on this thread for a few days. I guess I'll out myself as someone with baby fine hair who has had it long and short, but likes long much, much better. If I could be reimbursed for all the product, time and tears it took to meet someone else's ideal of perfect hair, I'd be a rich woman!

I've been soaking up the hair care tips here and just ordered by first 2 oz. jar of Mega Tek this morning. Since hitting the big M, my hair has gotten thinner. I really love the OP's expression of "hair cleavage". Mind if I co-opt that for my own use? :D

Looking forward to getting to know more of my fellow fine long hairs and getting to BSL (mid way now from APL).

heidihug
April 21st, 2010, 02:08 PM
Hi, Miss Misha, and welcome. There are many of us here who, unfortunately, have to use the "hair cleavage" term - you're very welcome to it ;)

Happy growing!

NouvelleNymphe2
March 17th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Hello, I just wanted to comment in this thread because I'm also a fine hair. My hair is shiny and slippy. It also has a tendency to be fly away. However, it is strong. I don't get much breakage now that I don't use any heat, and the no-cone transitional period seems to have passed. I really like to deep condition. Sure I'm flat for a few days, but the conditioning benefits far out way a few days of wearing it up. My hair has really responded to no cones. It also really like protein, which I previously thought it hated. I put a variety of oils on my ends, and have started scalp massages with avocado oil and castor oil. As I said breakage isn't my problem, but I do keep an eye on the shedding. My hairs usually fall out in one strand, not little pieces. I use grocery store no cone conditioners (Garnier Triple Nutrition and Garnier Ultra Soft line) and I am going to try Suave Naturals and VO5 when I come home. I use a TON of conditioner so I just can't afford to buy organic conditioner. I shampoo 2-3x a week, and am currently using an Aubrey Organics shampoo for normal hair (Luxurious Chamomile). I like it. Sometimes I think I could use something a bit harsher to eliminate oils better, but it's light and working well enough. I only shampoo from my ears up, never the length. I just purchased Avalon Lavender shampoo since I am almost out of my Lux Chamomile. I think it will be a bit harsher, but it has no SLS so I'm hoping it isn't too harsh. I'm hoping a stronger shampoo might allow me to stretch out my washes because currently every other and every 3rd day I look greasy. For protein I have been adding organic aloe vera gel to my Cs in my regular CWC. I've been doing this for over a month and my hair really seems to like it. I don't use styling products other than a bit of oil on my ends. I really like henna and cassia and have done 3 cassia treatments and 2 henna glosses. I will not use any citris the next time because the henna mix was a bit drying, but nothing serious or damaging. My favorite styling tools are my wide tooth pick and BBB. I use my BBB very gently and only after lots of detangling and picking when the hair is dry, slippy, and completely detangled. I am very gentle and give it maybe 10 passes. I love the smoothness, and this really helps me to stretch my washes because my hair seems less oily, just shiny and coated by my natural oil. In general I have become very careful with my hair, and it is really making a difference. I use an old t-shirt instead of a towel, and I only finger detangle when wet. When damp/dryish I will gently detangle with my wide tooth pick until completely dry. I've also been wearing it up with oils during the day. My favorite oils are avocado, camellia, and coconut. I am still in the trial phase of the castor oil scalp massages so will comment on that at a later time. When my hair is longer I will use a shea butter and coconut oil leave in. Currently it just isn't long enough and that leaves me oily. Once I have some length I think it will be more beneficial. Though my hair will get tangly if left down for the day, if I am gentle with my wide tooth pick, the knots come out with ease. Okay, so that's all I have for now. I love my fine hair :).

ladyveg
March 19th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Oh, please, can we rejuvenate this thread? My hair is so so thin and fine and I thought I was on my own with it. The picture in my profile is right after I *gasp* permed it this summer. I'm growing that out now, after having to trim off like an inch of frazzled hair.

I'm brand new. This is my first post. Hi. :p

After lurking on LHC for a while I have settled on CO with Suave Naturals. I love it. My hair has been fluffier lately, and not quite as greasy, even though I will probably forever need to wash it every or every other day.

My goal is 31" which is my waist length--I'm only 5 feet tall. I'm trying to learn updos that work for my APL-->BSL hair, with the tiny little volume I am working with.

Thanks for reading!

K_Angel
March 20th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Welcome to the LHC Ladyveg! :flower:

Fufu
March 20th, 2011, 03:27 AM
I'm a fine hair girl too :) Didn't realise there's a thread for fine/thin ladies :)

I used to wash my hair daily but find it quite a chore and quite drying to hair, I adopted CWC method for alterndate days. I use products with sillicones and they fine with my hair, though if i feel my hair is greasey, I will use Original Source Mint & Tea Tree Shampoo and Conditioner, i use this as a clarifying shampoo for my hair.

I also find out that camellia oil works well for fine hair, it doesn't weight the hair down and it makes the hair smooth and silky, i usually use 2-3 drops on my hair ends on some nights and once a week for pre-wash hair treatment on scalp and all hair lengths.

This is my natural hair texture
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g88/REfusion88/HairLength5-3-11-1-1.jpg

I've also discovered twist bun waves works for me to have some waves and volume in my hair. I separate my hair in 2 parts, twist the hair and bun them up with srunchies. It works better when my hair is damp, more towards complete dry than soaking wet.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g88/REfusion88/BunWavesBack-17-3-11-1.jpg
Back of bun waves

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g88/REfusion88/BunWavesFront17-3-11.jpg
front of bun waves

Slinks
March 20th, 2011, 03:58 AM
I have fine hair but I don't mind it I think it suits me .. I do have bad hair days tho ..

there is one thing that I do know that works to give your hair more volume "talc powder" it's :magic: you only need a little bit, get it mostly on your fingers like you would oil and work it in and around the sculp, threading thru the ends last, it'll poof your hair up, practice this before your big night, so you know how much you need :-) it's also how you dry poo your hair ..

Vorvolaka
March 20th, 2011, 06:06 AM
I also like camellia oil. I use it to flatten down my fluffies, I prefer coconut oil for heavy oiling.

And fufu, those bun waves are cute on you!

NouvelleNymphe2
March 20th, 2011, 07:39 AM
I would really like to bring this thread back to life as well. I am still a newbie, and really enjoy reading about how other fine hairs care for their hair. In my profile, my hair routine starts in my BIO and then continues under my hair routine. That provides the most details of how I care for my hair.

I'm currently experimenting with both Castor Oil and stretching my CWC washes. I am also ditching my CO routine, in place I want to try very stretched out CWC washes with no product in between washes. I will report back in a month or so with my findings. After a little over a week, I am positively encouraged to continue with these changes. Although, there are very light transitional difficulties (1-3 hairline pimples/pore clogging and light flakes). However, I think I'm on to something in terms of finding a permanent routine that works for me, and so I am willing to commit to the transition while my hair, skin, and scalp get used to it :).

I also just purchased a few new shampoos and will report back on them in a month or so. Avalon Organics Lavender and Aubrey Organics White Camellia. I also am going to try the corresponding White Camellia conditioner and also the Honeysuckle Rose conditioner. If I can stretch my CWC washes to every 3rd or 4th day and I completely eliminate using conditioner or any other product on my off days, this means I will use an organic conditioner as well because I will be using WAY LESS product. The new routine will call for <1 bottle per month of organic conditioner, and this will fit in my budget. It takes me almost 3 months for me to go through a bottle of shampoo, so again this will be budget friendly because I am cutting way down on the conditioner. I used to go through about a bottle a week of Garnier Triple Nutrition while using mostly CO. The next time free shipping is offered I will stock up. I will not go through the conditioner like I have been previously (with my mostly CO routine). So again, I'll check back in and let you know how this goes. I'm off!

Please share your routines, likes and dislikes, successes and failures, current experiments, results, favorite styling tools, and favorite products fineys!! :pray::flower::flower::pray:

braidedbelle
March 20th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I have both thin and fine hair which makes it very difficult to grow my hair out because it's always breaking and I have to get constant trims. It also gets weighed down easily, so I have three different shampoos (Aussie moist, garnier length and strength, and redken extreme) which i rotate through, switching every 2-3 weeks. It prevents my hair from getting too flat/weighed down

I also use a clarifying shampoo (by neutrogena) every sunday which livens my hair up a little, paired with a deep conditioner on my ends to give them a treat

This whole thread has been very helpful!

littlenvy
March 20th, 2011, 05:11 PM
YAY!!!! :):applause

For once I feel good about my hair! Usually my hair puts me in a great depressed mood (especially after seeing all the lovely thick haired LHCers) but today I feel good!!

This weekend was 'me' weekend. I started off with a castor/amla oil mix as a massage oil for my scalp. Kept that overnight and this morning I did a Cassia gloss. :)
I mixed my cassia powder with senna tea and honey just to give it that extra boost. I rinsed it out and conditioned with my favorite conditioner and it looks and feels GREAT!!!!

For once I have the volume and the sleekness :applause:applause !!!!
My scalp is not itchy and its not showing through, my hair feels thicker and my DH even said it looks beautiful :D:D:D

I feel so good.
Funny how our hair can either depress us or make us happy.

Fufu
March 21st, 2011, 03:09 AM
Vorvolaka: Thanks :) I haven'try try coconut oiling yet, perhaps i should get one to test it out.

littlenvy: In your avatar, your hair looks awesome to me. I do agree hair can make one sad or depress. Sometimes when I'm depressed, I tend to pull my hair and have to stop myself because it has nothing to do with my hair.

littlenvy
March 21st, 2011, 07:15 AM
Thank you Fufu. You are very kind. :)

CarpeDM
March 21st, 2011, 08:19 AM
Ok why did it take so long for me to find this thead? Where has it been hiding? Fine thinny here :waving:. Ah the many challenges of having fine thin hair :rolleyes:. So far I've found the following to help make it a little better:

1) bbb
2) cassia treatments
3) CV shampoo bars (soapnuts and sunflower works the best for me)
4) going to bed with damp braids
5) half up dos

Chetanlaiho
March 25th, 2011, 08:04 AM
I'm in xD I apparently have quite a bit of hair but the individual strands are on the thinner side. Now it wouldn't bug me so much if a somewhat botched haircut didn't leave me with only maybe a third to half of my hair being actually long . I'm growing some parts back but it'll take years so my braid gets really thin, especially with added taper D=

I've ditched cones and want to try cassia. Any other tips will be highly appreciated! Also, does chemical dye possibly make your hair thinner? I want to dye again and for several reasons henna doesn't fit the bill :/ but I'd rather have my hair a boring colour than lose thickness >_<

SlightlySoprano
March 25th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Super thin, super fine here. Trying to gain some thickness by using castor oil 2-3x per week.:o

bella77
March 25th, 2011, 08:36 AM
I have fine and thin hair. When it's wet, I have slight waves and can get them really wavy wih some scrunching and encouragement. It's blonde- bottle blonde- and coloring gives me some volume. My natural color is that dirty blonde, dark ash blonde, so I prefer a brighter golden blonde or in the winter I go strawberry blonde. Right now I am using shampoo bars with acv rinses which really give my hair some volume. I have tried cones and no cones. I find I like no cones and when I do shampoo with store bought stuff I use Giovani deeper moisture poo and dish and I use weightless moisture leave in. I always use a little oil on the ends, from chin down. I am using some coconut oil or sometimes I use an oil mix I bought from the store, it wasn't cheap so I use it sparingly. But it is really light in texture which is great for my fine hair. I am in the process of trying different methods of getting curls. Velcro rollers were horrible for my hair. I need to get some pins so I can try pin curls next.

Annalouise
March 25th, 2011, 09:23 AM
I am considering cutting my hair.:o My ponytail circumference is 2.5" and my hair past bsl really tapers. I don't think I can get a thick hemline at waist which was my goal. I can get a nice hemline at bsl though.:)

I've trimmed my hair back to bsl a few times and its always the same when it gets close to my waist.

I'll wait until May before I do something drastic.

Vorvolaka
March 25th, 2011, 09:59 AM
I am considering cutting my hair.:o My ponytail circumference is 2.5" and my hair past bsl really tapers. I don't think I can get a thick hemline at waist which was my goal. I can get a nice hemline at bsl though.:)

I've trimmed my hair back to bsl a few times and its always the same when it gets close to my waist.

This is what I hate reading. My pony circumference is less than yours and I get disheartened when I hear that other thinnies struggle with tapering at a certain point.

Anyway, I think your hair looks great even with the tapering and I strongly suggest you wait awhile before cutting.

How long have you been at waist?

CarpeDM
March 25th, 2011, 10:06 AM
My hair starts tapering in the front once it gets past my chin. It will never be thick in the front unless I have a chin length bob. Just one of those things I have to accept about my hair, but I'm still trying to grow it longer and trying to forget about my natural tapering...

SlightlySoprano
March 25th, 2011, 10:06 AM
My pony tail is juuuuuuuuuuuuust 2" on a good day:(

Annalouise
March 25th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I'm about 1" shy of waist.

Sorry to discourage you. It's just that I have to realize that my hair is my hair and its not going to change. If I want the appearance of thicker hair then I have to keep it around bsl.

Also, a thicker hemline is a stronger hemline, and those fairytale ends ARE fragile. And since I don't like wearing updo's I have to be realistic.

I wear my hair down 90% of the time.

skyblue
March 25th, 2011, 10:13 AM
My hair does that, I am at TBL now but at every stage I had a thin hem, be patient and just do little trims every 6 to 8 weeks or so it will grow! And your thickness will follow it's way down!
I'm glad I saw your post cause I was starting to feel I should go get a big chop but I'm gonna follow my own advice and wait it out lol!

MsBubbles
March 25th, 2011, 10:45 AM
This is what I hate reading. My pony circumference is less than yours and I get disheartened when I hear that other thinnies struggle with tapering at a certain point.

Well you never know what your hair is going to do until you get there, really. And even though your hair is fine, it's straight, so you and Annalouise don't really have the same hair. And it is still her personal preference anyway. Annalouise your hair looks lovely to me, and doesn't really look thin.

Vorvolaka
March 25th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Well you never know what your hair is going to do until you get there, really. And even though your hair is fine, it's straight, so you and Annalouise don't really have the same hair.

Haha, I know this, I'm just having a bad hair day!

Quahatundightu
March 25th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Yes don't worry too much. My hair at waist was thin from APL down. Now I am nearing TBL the thin part has grown down too. I plan to maintain at TBL once I get there and hope it will thicken up. I think I made really good progress these last 2 years, and I have super thin and fine hair! I have progress pics in my albums. It just takes time is all, ad maybe one has to grow past their goal length and then cut back for a thicker hemline.

Misti
March 25th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Another fine thin here. For the last several years, I was getting thinner and thinner, so that my scalp was starting to show. That was scary! In my case, I foudn that iodine supplementation was the key. I have been taking it for four months now and have about two inches of new hair growing in.

But I will never have thick hair. :(

I think Quahatundightu may be right about growing out past your goal length and then cutting back to get a thicker hem line. Every few years, I hack it off to where it's thicker and restart toward my goal. (I just did that a few weeks ago, but haven't measured or photographed it yet.)

Anyway, I found that when I gave up shampoo (a couple of years ago) my hair got sturdier and more of it got longer than had been the case before. I think my hair was too fragil to cope with the drying effects of even the mildest shampoo, even with oiling.

I also spend the winter with my hair literally encased in coconut oil. It looks dreadful down, but at my age, I rarely wear it down outside the house anyway and never in winter (wool mats my hair in no time flat). I just cleaned the heavy oils out just before my recent trim, and I'm pretty sure I have fewer broken hairs...

Anyway, it so nice to know that there are others of you with beautiful hair who struggle with fine thin troubles, too. :)

rags
March 27th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Well I chopped my hair off to a pixie in October due to a fit of temporary insanity (never had short hair in my life - wanted to try it. HATE it and started growing it back out immediately). But I've had my hair around TB almost all my adult life, with brief forays up to BSL or so. My pony is around 1.75 on a good day. :rolleyes: Mine always, always tapers once it gets past about APL. BUT if I leave it alone, eventually the thickness (such as it is!) catches up to the hemline. If I chop it back, then once I start growing it out, it tapers again until I leave it and let it catch up.

islandboo
March 27th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Mine always, always tapers once it gets past about APL. BUT if I leave it alone, eventually the thickness (such as it is!) catches up to the hemline.

Mine has always tapered badly (there's a pic in my album of it collapsing into a near singularity in a French braid) but I am hopeful I will be able to do just that. I've also increased my protein intake in the hopes of strengthening the hairs I have (I don't eat a lot of meat or dairy so I am thinking I might be cheating my hair in the building blocks department).

annieangel149
March 27th, 2011, 09:51 AM
i do have very straight hair but i dont know i its thin or not! i just tried my ponytail circumference and i cant find the measuring tape but im guessing its at around 2.5 - 3 inches! is that thin? what circumference does hair become Medium?

farewell_nancy
March 27th, 2011, 04:45 PM
i do have very straight hair but i dont know i its thin or not! i just tried my ponytail circumference and i cant find the measuring tape but im guessing its at around 2.5 - 3 inches! is that thin? what circumference does hair become Medium?

According to the hair typing guide (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=5) thin is less than 2 inches, normal is 2-4 inches and thick is more than 4 inches.

I technically fall into the normal range with my pony measuring 2.75-3 around, but with wimpyness of my braids and my ends and the perpetual struggle over whether or not I could even get nice ends if I chopped five inches I don't doubt that I belong here.

Mesmerise
March 27th, 2011, 05:06 PM
According to the hair typing guide (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=5) thin is less than 2 inches, normal is 2-4 inches and thick is more than 4 inches.

I technically fall into the normal range with my pony measuring 2.75-3 around, but with wimpyness of my braids and my ends and the perpetual struggle over whether or not I could even get nice ends if I chopped five inches I don't doubt that I belong here.

Yeah, my ponytail gets about 2.5" now (should thicken up a bit when my baby hairs grow in :rolleyes:), but I still call myself i/ii for hair thickness because I have a LOT of taper, and my ends are sooo thin... I lost a heap of hair last year, and of course it hasn't recovered yet (and won't recover for a long time since all that hair has to grow back to the length of the rest of it)!

And of course, you can have thin hair without fine hair and vice versa. My daughter has very fine hair but it is the exact opposite of thin (I'm jealous!).

TheBluffs
March 27th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Haha, this is our thread! I have had fine hair all my life, but it was worse when I was younger. My mum said she could practically count the hair on my head :nono:
It's a bit better now, but what I find is horrible is the thinness in updo's. :(

Arty
March 27th, 2011, 08:53 PM
My hair is also very fine but I had lots of it until it was completely butchered with a ton of layers which makes it look very thin. I can't wait to get out of layer hell! I have decided never to get layers again.

DoubleCrowned
March 27th, 2011, 10:55 PM
I have a lot of reading to catch up on in this thread, but want to go ahead and introduce myself. It is the posts by fine-haired people that coaxed me out of lurking.

My hair is baby fine and breaks very easily. My pony tail measures 1 and 3/8". However, I have a lot of hair that is 3-4" long and am hoping that I can get it caught up with the thirty hairs that have made it to my waist! (I didn't really count them, but to give you an idea, the pony is barely 3/8" at bra length.) A French twist is the only style I wear in public. My goal is to have a pony tail thick enough that I can make a bun (even if I have to use a sock) or perhaps wear a braid or down. I would love to be able to wear it down, but you can see right through it the way it is now. I have a lot of thickening to do...

A couple decades ago I discovered that the conditioners were causing my hair to break off. It didn't grow past BSL until I quit using almost commercial products. (I use some Aubrey sparingly) Hairspray breaks my hair. Recently I thought scrunchies would be kinder to my hair than bobby pins, but I think they broke it worse.

Soapwort is my best washing method, but is a hassle to make. A dry shampoo of cornstarch or powdered herbs is unsatisfactory for me because of the breakage caused by trying to brush out the debris, and once the powder is gone, the brushing has caused the greasies. I have had some luck with cornstarch at night rinsed out with plain water the next morning as a washing method.

Debra83
March 28th, 2011, 12:10 AM
I have fine and thin hair as well. Ponytail holders, even the "gentler" ones, break my hair too, which of course, I found out the hard way about two months ago.

My hair seems to be thickening up some though, with all the henna treatments I give it. My ponytail or braids aren't very thick looking though. But, I have LOTS of hair. Hope it stays that way.

DoubleCrowned
March 28th, 2011, 02:02 AM
Did you use neutral henna? I tried it once and got temporarily shiny hair with no extra body.

jackiesjottings
March 28th, 2011, 08:26 AM
I am having taper woes :(( I am just about at classic but the ends are so thin now I am starting to think it looks silly. I have a dilemma and I am going to think long and hard about it.

I could cut back to TB as it would then be more even at the ends and have less taper.. but there is the worry that it would be just as thin again when it got back to classic.

I could wear it up most days for the rest of the year. See if that helps prevent damage

Or I could maintain at classic with micro trims in the hope that within about a year I would still have the length but less taper.

I feel silly for stressing as I have my hair the length I wanted it again... but stress a bit I do!

DoubleCrowned
March 28th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Jackiesjottings, we are in the same boat except my longest ends are to my waist. I think we have to learn what causes the taper. I assume hair in the taper is more vulnerable than hair in a nice, smooth hem-- like there is safety in numbers.

I blamed my ragged taper on hairpins from wearing it up, but really don't know if that is true. Even brushing might wear out the ends because they have had more brushing than younger hair, plus we have to brush the ends before we can brush higher up.

Maybe we can dream up a taper treatment to use while the shorter hair catches up.

Misti
March 28th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I am having taper woes :(( I am just about at classic but the ends are so thin now I am starting to think it looks silly. I have a dilemma and I am going to think long and hard about it.

I feel your pain, Jackie. I am in exactly the same position. I just trimmed a little of the thinnest hair back to where there started to be more thickness a few weeks ago. It was a much smaller trim than my desperate attempt of 2007, where i cut all the way back to waits length from classic because my ends were not just thin, but also crispy and very damaged. This time, they were simply thin -- the four or five longest hairs actually seemed fairly healthy, just lonely. (And not arranged well for a smooth fairy tale hem, they just looked ragged.)

I am now thinking about a regular micro trim to try to get the hem to even out just a little.

Rocket22
March 28th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Fellow thinnie here!!!! I find the only thing that makes it look halfway full is curls! and lots of them. I keep thinking the longer my hair gets the more curls I can put in it and it will look that much thicker? I don't know never been there yet :) but working on it.

also I have to keep telling myself I would rather have long thin hair (and fake it with curls) than short thin hair.

Of course heat free curls

DoubleCrowned
March 28th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Jackiesjottings, Misti,

My longest hairs all look healthy too. Perhaps we should follow them up and see if they are mostly from certain spots on the head. Maybe we can discover if it is something we do that lets them grow while the other hairs break or wear down or whatever they do. Consider sleep position. which hairs are on top during brushing...how the shower hits...parts...?

DoubleCrowned
March 28th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Rocket 22,
I agree! However, I can't get curls to last more than half a day. They smooth out and leave my two cowlicks on the crown sticking up like little horns. (Guess I don't need to elaborate what a mistake a perm was. Took 7 years to grow out the fired hair.)

Do you curl it right to the scalp or only the lower part?

Rocket22
March 28th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Rocket 22,
I agree! However, I can't get curls to last more than half a day. They smooth out and leave my two cowlicks on the crown sticking up like little horns. (Guess I don't need to elaborate what a mistake a perm was. Took 7 years to grow out the fired hair.)

Do you curl it right to the scalp or only the lower part?

Either I'm a dork or my computer is acting up because I replied to this????

I do both, curl up to scalp which of course gives me more curl but mostly just do bottom of hair with like two curlers to give me a bend under and a halfway decent hemline. My curls don't stay all that well either unless I spray them. (which I don't unless I'm going somewhere very special)

bunzfan
March 28th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Anyone else have fine strands but a lot of hair so it actually looks thick? i have trouble finding a conditioner as its neither thick or thin:(

jackiesjottings
March 29th, 2011, 01:11 AM
I feel your pain, Jackie. I am in exactly the same position. I just trimmed a little of the thinnest hair back to where there started to be more thickness a few weeks ago. It was a much smaller trim than my desperate attempt of 2007, where i cut all the way back to waits length from classic because my ends were not just thin, but also crispy and very damaged. This time, they were simply thin -- the four or five longest hairs actually seemed fairly healthy, just lonely. (And not arranged well for a smooth fairy tale hem, they just looked ragged.)

I am now thinking about a regular micro trim to try to get the hem to even out just a little.

I think that is what I am going to do- micro trims and maintain at classic for a while. My hair is healthy, it seems that only a few of them have managed to get to classic so far, and the back is thicker and grows faster than the sides. So micro trims to let the rest catch up :) Thank you :))

jackiesjottings
March 29th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Jackiesjottings, Misti,

My longest hairs all look healthy too. Perhaps we should follow them up and see if they are mostly from certain spots on the head. Maybe we can discover if it is something we do that lets them grow while the other hairs break or wear down or whatever they do. Consider sleep position. which hairs are on top during brushing...how the shower hits...parts...?

I found out that the back of my hair is thicker and grows faster than the sides. So having slept on my dilemma (but not on my hair as I braid it over one shoulder at night!) I am going for the micro trims, maintain at classic, and let the sides catch up :)) Wear it up a lot for work and pony tail it at the weekend :)

Mesmerise
March 29th, 2011, 04:24 AM

I could cut back to TB as it would then be more even at the ends and have less taper.. but there is the worry that it would be just as thin again when it got back to classic.

I could wear it up most days for the rest of the year. See if that helps prevent damage

Or I could maintain at classic with micro trims in the hope that within about a year I would still have the length but less taper.

I feel silly for stressing as I have my hair the length I wanted it again... but stress a bit I do!

I think the BEST way of dealing with taper, is patient trimming while maintaining at length. I have read in a few places that people with taper who cut back their hair, find that once it reaches that length again, it's tapered HOWEVER, if they just keep trim trim trimming, eventually it thickens up.

Usually I would cut my hair off with the amount of taper I've got now (and I'm not even waist yet!!!) but I've decided I'm getting to to waist and I'm going to maintain it there... rather than cut back and risk the same problem occurring. I did have massive hair shedding last year, which definitely contributed to the taper, and know it will recover in time... but I think the best thing is to be patient!

jackiesjottings
March 29th, 2011, 08:42 AM
I think the BEST way of dealing with taper, is patient trimming while maintaining at length. I have read in a few places that people with taper who cut back their hair, find that once it reaches that length again, it's tapered HOWEVER, if they just keep trim trim trimming, eventually it thickens up.

Usually I would cut my hair off with the amount of taper I've got now (and I'm not even waist yet!!!) but I've decided I'm getting to to waist and I'm going to maintain it there... rather than cut back and risk the same problem occurring. I did have massive hair shedding last year, which definitely contributed to the taper, and know it will recover in time... but I think the best thing is to be patient!

Funnily enough, having slept on this and shared it on my hair journal as well, I have decided to do just that :) I have reached my goal length though I am going to gradually go for knee. But I think micro trims and maintaining at classic for a couple of years or however long it takes to let the sides catch up with the back is what I am going to do.

Valdeon
March 29th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Anyone else have fine strands but a lot of hair so it actually looks thick? i have trouble finding a conditioner as its neither thick or thin:(

Hey there! I happen to have fine hair but quite a fair amount of it. I have tried a lot of conditioners, but they either made my hair too tamed, no volume whatsoever, or somehow left it frizzed and tangly. Currently I am using oil shampoo method and at the moment it seems like the best solution: my hair is full of body but at the same time quite silky.

Hope that might help.

GlennaGirl
March 29th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I shampoo and condition...has anyone found a great volumizing shampoo that doesn't leave the hair feeling dry?

Rocket22
March 29th, 2011, 12:08 PM
I found out that the back of my hair is thicker and grows faster than the sides. So having slept on my dilemma (but not on my hair as I braid it over one shoulder at night!) I am going for the micro trims, maintain at classic, and let the sides catch up :)) Wear it up a lot for work and pony tail it at the weekend :)

Me too!!! my sides don't budge hardly at all?? I thought maybe it was just me from years of extension wearing, but then was thinking back and seems like my sides never behaved? I'm going to keep my eye on it now!!! but it's weird and I think when the sides are long that is what makes your hair long looking ,to me.

Sunshineliz
March 29th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Are there any curlies here? My daughter has a fine and thin head of frizz/curls and I'm not sure what to do with it. Alot of the advice I've found seems to be geared to coarse and thick hair. I started using a curly-hair conditioner and using it to CO, but it has cones and that sounds like it is bad from what I've been reading. If I leave it completely alone after a wash she gets some really pretty defined curls, but still has a mass of tangled hair around the base of her neck. If I comb it out I stretch out alot of her curls and scrunching helps a little but seems to encourage the frizz a little.
Am I on the right track? What does a person do with fine, thin, CURLY hair?

rags
March 29th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I shampoo and condition...has anyone found a great volumizing shampoo that doesn't leave the hair feeling dry?

I never have, Glenna, and with the thyroid issues my hair is dry anyway, so I don't like to add to it. If I want a bit more volume I'll use a lighter conditioner sometimes.

paleogirl
March 29th, 2011, 01:33 PM
I am definitely there with you guys.

bella77
March 29th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Are there any curlies here? My daughter has a fine and thin head of frizz/curls and I'm not sure what to do with it. Alot of the advice I've found seems to be geared to coarse and thick hair. I started using a curly-hair conditioner and using it to CO, but it has cones and that sounds like it is bad from what I've been reading. If I leave it completely alone after a wash she gets some really pretty defined curls, but still has a mass of tangled hair around the base of her neck. If I comb it out I stretch out alot of her curls and scrunching helps a little but seems to encourage the frizz a little.

I do not have curly hair, but maybe scrunch her curls with a little coconut oil rubbed on your palms, and twist some curls so they dry formed. You could always do some pin curls, depending on how long her hair is. Maybe try a little aloe gel in a spritz bottle, it will give light hold, while moisturizing her curls. You could add a little jojoba oil in there also. Just a few thoughts.

SlightlySoprano
March 29th, 2011, 03:34 PM

thin/fine curly hair here. Definitely on the right track! What works for me is gentle shampoo on scalp only, cone free conditioner all over (yes on the scalp too, for me) and leave it on for a while (i usually leave it one while i soap up/shave/whatever) then rinse it out. right before i get out i take that same conefree conditioner, take about half a dime size, even less maybe, and rub it all over as a leave in. In the summer, thats too heavy of a leave in, so i use aloe vera gel (100% gel, from my local rite aid)

Sunshineliz
March 29th, 2011, 06:19 PM
thin/fine curly hair here. Definitely on the right track! What works for me is gentle shampoo on scalp only, cone free conditioner all over (yes on the scalp too, for me) and leave it on for a while (i usually leave it one while i soap up/shave/whatever) then rinse it out. right before i get out i take that same conefree conditioner, take about half a dime size, even less maybe, and rub it all over as a leave in. In the summer, thats too heavy of a leave in, so i use aloe vera gel (100% gel, from my local rite aid)

Wow your hair looks alot like hers (at least on a good day :)). I'll have to look into aloe vera gel. I always knew it was good for burns, but never imagined using it in hair. Do you know any good cone-free conditioners? I'm not sure I want to spend a ton of time reading all the conditioner ingredients at the store with some very sweet but very impatient little girls;).

Have you tried coconut oil? I heard it was good--but again only heard that from coarse/thick haired people and thought it might weigh it down too much.

Bella77 those sound like good ideas to. Hopefully she'll put up with my experiments well. Also hope she won't just stand on her head on the couch or rub her head all over her chair and just create frizz:rolleyes:. (She's five, but still determined to be Rapunzel!)

SlightlySoprano
March 29th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Wow your hair looks alot like hers (at least on a good day :)). I'll have to look into aloe vera gel. I always knew it was good for burns, but never imagined using it in hair. Do you know any good cone-free conditioners? I'm not sure I want to spend a ton of time reading all the conditioner ingredients at the store with some very sweet but very impatient little girls;).

Have you tried coconut oil? I heard it was good--but again only heard that from coarse/thick haired people and thought it might weigh it down too much.

Bella77 those sound like good ideas to. Hopefully she'll put up with my experiments well. Also hope she won't just stand on her head on the couch or rub her head all over her chair and just create frizz:rolleyes:. (She's five, but still determined to be Rapunzel!)

For me, coconut oil is a deep treatment that I'll use one or twice a week. What I like to do is before I go to bed, slather my whole head in coconut oil, braid it, sleep on it, and wash it out in the morning.

The conditioner I'm currently using (which smells amazing) is the garnier fructise its called something like pure and simple. On the bottle it says silicone/paraben/dye free, right on the front. Garnier is usually very easy to find. I use the shampoo in that set too! If not that shampoo/conditioner, I like any cheap V05 conditioner that smells good.

bella77
March 30th, 2011, 05:37 AM
a great leave on you can get at Walmart- it's called Giovanni weightless moisture leave in, it's in the natural section with burts bees. I adore it, a little goes a loooonnnggg way, it's quick thick.I have rally fine, thin hair and use coconut oil as a leave in almost daily, just a tiny bit for shine and smoothness. Too much and I look greasy.

UP Lisa
March 30th, 2011, 07:04 AM
I think your hair looks just fine. You have enough wave to help it look fuller than it really is. And if you're anything like me, you keep it up most of the time, so who sees the tapering anyway?

Sunshineliz
March 30th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Thanks Slightly Soprano and Bella77 for the suggestions. Her hair has been driving me crazy and she's been getting jealous of her older sister who has straight, tailbone length hair. I want her to embrace and love her curls and be her best self but I knew her hair would take different steps than mine or her sister's.
I'll have to check those out when I get back to the store. Thanks again!

annieangel149
March 30th, 2011, 10:40 AM

thankyou Nancy :)

lokiveil
March 30th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Sign me up as well. I have stick straight baby fine hair, my saving grace is that I have a TON of it:)
What I have done recently that has helped:
1. Henna, I went from a 2" tail to almost a 4" :D, this I am guessing is from the thickening on each strand. I could just barely see a single strand of hair before, even when chemically dyed dark. Now I can easily see each strand, and my hair feels soooooooooo much better.
2. CO washing. I was washing and conditioning my hair every other day, possible the third day if my hair decided to actually stay up in any kind of contraption. Now I CO wash every 3-4 days with Suave Coconut Conditioner. My hair feels softer, less frizzies, and it surprisingly doesn't get oily looking near as much now.
3. Coconut oil. I oil the night before I shower, and put the teensiest, tiniest amount on my ends (bottom 3") on just towel dried hair. By by flyaways :cheese:
4. Microfiber hair wrap. I don't actually towel dry my hair anymore. I just gently squeeze the excess water out (we all know how little our hair actually holds), then put on my microfiber head wrap. I don't have near the tangles used to, therefore a lot less split ends from combing/brushing.
5. Sleep cap. My husband hates it, but I sleep with a satin sleep cap every night now. No need to brush my hair in the mornings now, just a light finger-combing :p

jkrochet
March 30th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Hi All!! I just joined LHC and I'm SOOO happy I found this thread!! I only read through the first couple pages (because there are 40!! lol) I have thin hair (not really fine) and a lot of it... and I'm sick of it!! It doesn't do anything, it's straight and flat, doesn't curl EVER, will only wave if I sleep on it wet (and it's not an attractive wave) and I''ve pretty much just given up on it... Then I found this site, and I'm really excited to try some new things!!

I shampoo and condition with store-brand products (by products I mean literally shampoo and conditioner, I don't use ANY products). I wet-comb with a wide tooth comb, stick it up in a towel for about a half hour, then either blow dry (which takes 3 minutes without a brush) or just leave it to dry naturally. So far I've read ALL different kind of things to do... some people don't shampoo, some don't condition, some say only wash once or twice a week (which is NOT possible for my hair because it looks like a grease ball in about 12 hours after I wash it) So I'm really just confused as to where to begin!!

I would just like a recommendation of ONE thing I could start with to improve the quality of my hair. Here's a (horrible) picture of it, I took it with my phone and the lighting it bad, but this is basically what it looks like on a regular basis (the bump is from a hair clip) If anyone has any suggestions I will GLADLY take them!! Thank you!!! :)

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc373/jkrochet/Hair1.jpg

rags
March 30th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Hi All!! I just joined LHC and I'm SOOO happy I found this thread!! I only read through the first couple pages (because there are 40!! lol) I have thin hair (not really fine) and a lot of it... and I'm sick of it!! It doesn't do anything, it's straight and flat, doesn't curl EVER, will only wave if I sleep on it wet (and it's not an attractive wave) and I''ve pretty much just given up on it... Then I found this site, and I'm really excited to try some new things!!

I shampoo and condition with store-brand products (by products I mean literally shampoo and conditioner, I don't use ANY products). I wet-comb with a wide tooth comb, stick it up in a towel for about a half hour, then either blow dry (which takes 3 minutes without a brush) or just leave it to dry naturally. So far I've read ALL different kind of things to do... some people don't shampoo, some don't condition, some say only wash once or twice a week (which is NOT possible for my hair because it looks like a grease ball in about 12 hours after I wash it) So I'm really just confused as to where to begin!!

I would just like a recommendation of ONE thing I could start with to improve the quality of my hair. Here's a (horrible) picture of it, I took it with my phone and the lighting it bad, but this is basically what it looks like on a regular basis (the bump is from a hair clip) If anyone has any suggestions I will GLADLY take them!! Thank you!!! :)

Well, first of all you have me confused just a bit. You say you have thin hair (which means not a lot of hair) but not really fine - but then you say you have a lot of it? I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused. "Thin" used here means you haven't got a lot of individual hairs, whether the hairs are coarse, medium or fine. "Fine" means each individual hair is very small in diameter, as opposed to thicker coarse hairs. Which one you are talking about lets us know how to help better.

rags
March 30th, 2011, 09:01 PM

Well, first of all you have me confused just a bit. You say you have thin hair (which means not a lot of hair) but not really fine - but then you say you have a lot of it? I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused. "Thin" used here means you haven't got a lot of individual hairs, whether the hairs are coarse, medium or fine. "Fine" means each individual hair is very small in diameter, as opposed to thicker coarse hairs. Which one you are talking about lets us know how to help better.

There is an article in the articles section for newbies - it's great. One of her suggestions I agree with is to start with CWC - condition, wash, condition. This means you put conditioner on the length of your hair, shampoo the scalp, rinse that out, and then condition your hair again. This helps your ends keep that need moisture while getting your scalp clean. Good luck! Oh, and I think your hair is very pretty!

DoubleCrowned
March 30th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Easily Enabled,
One thing you might try is less shampoo. I think sometimes the scalp over-reacts to harsh shampoo by attempting to replace the oils that the shampoo stripped away. Maybe conditioner only cleaning would help, even if daily for awhile.

DoubleCrowned
March 30th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Several of you have mentioned the satin sleep cap. Is this something I could make from an old silk shirt?

UP Lisa
March 31st, 2011, 06:14 AM
Living it large (well actually kind of small, lol) in Okinawa, Japan.

Hi. Must be hard being in Japan now.

MissEarlGrey
March 31st, 2011, 07:02 AM
I have very strange hair; it's fine, but it looks incredibly thick, but only because it's full of air. Well, I guess the best way to put it is when it's freshly washed and dried, my hair reminds me of cotton candy; albeit healthy cotton candy, it's well moisturized, it's just voluminous.

oktobergoud
March 31st, 2011, 07:32 AM
Aah I'm going to join this little club ;)

My hair is fine BUT I have a loooot of it, thank god! But I used to bleach it (platinum) and always thought I had thick hair. I just realized that my hair is FINE and that my hair got damaged really fast by the bleach. So no more bleach for me! Right now I'm working on cutting the damage off and start fresh, now knowing I have fine hair. I can't use anything with a lot of cones in it, because it will make my hair flat and heavy. But I do need them because of the damage, sigh! Oh well, I have a pixie now so flat and heavy hair isn't that bad :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/postalwar/user34389_pic97494_1299274279.jpg

just for funsies, me many years ago with long hair! (well it was long to me, I had years of pixies before that long hair and yeaaars of pixies after it as well :P so I do consider that long haha)
you can see it's fine but I do have a lot of it :)

And no I did NOT know about LHC when my hair was that long, nor did I take proper care of it. I learned that the hard way when I bleached it from black to white a few years later, sigh..

jkrochet
March 31st, 2011, 08:12 AM

There is an article in the articles section for newbies - it's great. One of her suggestions I agree with is to start with CWC - condition, wash, condition. This means you put conditioner on the length of your hair, shampoo the scalp, rinse that out, and then condition your hair again. This helps your ends keep that need moisture while getting your scalp clean. Good luck! Oh, and I think your hair is very pretty!

I guess I'd have to say I have FINE hair... my pony tail is about 2" in diameter. I would like to find a method (eventually :)) to give my hair more body. I wish it would wave a little bit, but I don't think that's going to happen hehe I will try the CWC method and see how that goes. Thank you for the suggestion!! Sorry for the confusion :p

CarpeDM
March 31st, 2011, 08:17 AM
Several of you have mentioned the satin sleep cap. Is this something I could make from an old silk shirt?

I guess that would depend on how sewing savvy you are. I think all you would need would be an elastic type of band...?

Fairlight63
March 31st, 2011, 08:25 AM
Or you could take come silk material & make a silk pillowcase. That isn't too hard to do. Sometimes the silk cap bugs me when I sleep slipping down over my eyes, & I prefer a silk pillowcase.

Fairlight63
March 31st, 2011, 08:31 AM
My hair is thin & fine also, so I guess that I belong here. It is like MissEarlGrey said "full of air" after I wash it, it also feels like fuzzy cotton candy. It also dries really fast, it will be almost dry in a couple of hrs. I need to let it dry in a bun or something to give it direction or it frizzes out.

rags
March 31st, 2011, 12:47 PM
I guess I'd have to say I have FINE hair... my pony tail is about 2" in diameter. I would like to find a method (eventually :)) to give my hair more body. I wish it would wave a little bit, but I don't think that's going to happen hehe I will try the CWC method and see how that goes. Thank you for the suggestion!! Sorry for the confusion :p

Ok. If you're looking for more body, either that or CO or (if your water isn't really hard) shampoo bars all help with that. For me, the CO (condition only) with non coney conditioners really brings out my wave!

rags
March 31st, 2011, 12:48 PM
Easily Enabled,
One thing you might try is less shampoo. I think sometimes the scalp over-reacts to harsh shampoo by attempting to replace the oils that the shampoo stripped away. Maybe conditioner only cleaning would help, even if daily for awhile.

If you were talking to me? My name is rags. My user title is Easily Enabled. :p I was actually answering jkrochet's question. I personally can't do CO as my only cleansing method - baby fine thin hair just tends to go limp with it in my experience. I do alternate it with CWC a lot though!

Annalouise
March 31st, 2011, 05:47 PM
The urge to cut my hair is getting stronger week by week. It looks like I'm heading for a major cut in May.

Everytime I get past bsl I get dried out straw like, split end hair. No matter if I use herbs, or SLS shampoo or CO.

Time and time again it is always the same thing.

Which makes me think its just my genetics. I don't seem to be able to grow healthy hair past bsl.

And I am so sick of looking at the dry ends and the split ends.

I'll try and get some pictures posted one of these days so you can see what I'm talking about.:)

DoubleCrowned
April 1st, 2011, 09:27 AM
If you were talking to me? My name is rags. My user title is Easily Enabled. :p I was actually answering jkrochet's question. I personally can't do CO as my only cleansing method - baby fine thin hair just tends to go limp with it in my experience. I do alternate it with CWC a lot though!

Sorry, rags, I was answering jkrochet's post asking for one thing she could do to improve her hair. It looked dry although she says her scalp is oily. My experience is that an oily scalp is sometimes a scalp that is desperately trying to get moisturized. Sometimes relieving it of that duty calms it down.

In response to your comment, however, when I condition only, I have to rinse and rinse, plus the conditioner must be one that I could have used the standard way. That means that I could never use a rich conditioner for CO.

UP Lisa
April 1st, 2011, 09:57 AM
So why not just stay at BSL? You would still have long hair, and it would look nice. Your hair is not so thin that you can't have it at least somewhat long.

The urge to cut my hair is getting stronger week by week. It looks like I'm heading for a major cut in May.

Everytime I get past bsl I get dried out straw like, split end hair. No matter if I use herbs, or SLS shampoo or CO.

Which makes me think its just my genetics. I don't seem to be able to grow healthy hair past bsl.

I'll try and get some pictures posted one of these days so you can see what I'm talking about.:)

Babyfine
April 1st, 2011, 11:12 AM

I have exactly the same issue. I recently cut my hair-but I regret it and I'm going to grow back to BSL and keep it there doing frequent trims, as UP Lisa suggested. My original goal was waist length-don't know if I'll ever make it there. I get a lot of "Wow your hair is long" when it's just BSL!
The longest I've had my hair is 2" past BSL. I have to keep it up constantly when it gets past BSL. I see we have the same type of hair(2aFi/ii) I consider myself a solid "i" now though.

MsBubbles
April 1st, 2011, 11:54 AM
AnnaLouise what all have you tried to moisturize the bottom of your hair? Have you ever tried SMT?

Seems like there should be some people on LHC who have had the problem of dry ends in the past and who figured out something that worked for them, maybe it'll work for you too, and you can keep your hair longer than BSL.

I had a terrible time with dry ends between BSL and waist. But I just had to figure out which oil worked for my hair. SMTs work wonders too.

Just a suggestion.

torrilin
April 1st, 2011, 11:59 AM

For hair typing, you measure the circumference (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8954), not the diameter. A ponytail that measures for real 2" in diameter is gonna have a circumference of about 6.28", which is... insanely thick. Thin is 2" circumference (or less), and normal is 2-4", so over 6" means you could reasonably qualify as a iiii thickness instead of a iii.

I'd guess your hair isn't actually THAT thick and if you measure correctly you'd be a more normal sort of iii thickness.

It's pretty normal to think zomg my hair is soooooooo thin and soooooooooo fine, but in reality? For most of us, so not.

I do have a fine texture, so the individual hairs are skinny, see through, and the only reason I perceive them as thick is because I tend to be comparing to things like a single silk filament which is around 10-15 microns (I'm a handspinner, so I actually handle a lot of unspun fibers). But for thickness? I'm a solid ii, measuring between 2.5" and 3" in circumference, which means there are a helluva lot of individual hairs on my head. Fine yes, thin... absolutely not.

DoubleCrowned
April 1st, 2011, 04:51 PM
Annalouise

Maybe it isn't gentics; maybe it is Arizona's dry air. Have you noticed that you get discouragingly dry ends at the end of winter?

My hair was insanely dry when I was in Arizona. Actually, so was my long haired cat's. I would wrap him in damp towels every day or so to keep his fly-away hair from matting.

Annalouise
April 1st, 2011, 05:57 PM
So why not just stay at BSL? You would still have long hair, and it would look nice. Your hair is not so thin that you can't have it at least somewhat long.

Hi Lisa:) I would cut it back to bsl or actually a bit shorter. It looks so much thicker at that length. The shortest I would go is about 2 " past my shoulders.

I have exactly the same issue. I recently cut my hair-but I regret it and I'm going to grow back to BSL and keep it there doing frequent trims, as UP Lisa suggested. My original goal was waist length-don't know if I'll ever make it there. I get a lot of "Wow your hair is long" when it's just BSL!
The longest I've had my hair is 2" past BSL. I have to keep it up constantly when it gets past BSL. I see we have the same type of hair(2aFi/ii) I consider myself a solid "i" now though.

Hi hair twin:). Why did you regret cutting it? Does shorter hair not suit you? I would benefit from wearing my hair up more often but I don't like wearing it up. It's just one of those things.

AnnaLouise what all have you tried to moisturize the bottom of your hair? Have you ever tried SMT?

Seems like there should be some people on LHC who have had the problem of dry ends in the past and who figured out something that worked for them, maybe it'll work for you too, and you can keep your hair longer than BSL.

I had a terrible time with dry ends between BSL and waist. But I just had to figure out which oil worked for my hair. SMTs work wonders too.

Just a suggestion.

Thanks:) for the suggestions. I haven't done an SMT in a long while. I should do one tonight. Using a deep conditioner daily helps me a lot but I have fragrance sensitivities and I haven't found a deep conditioner that is fragrance free. My fragrance free conditioners are not that great. I sometimes heavy oil my hair at night but I haven't found that to really moisturize my hair. And its a pain washing the oil out so I don't do that much.
I've tried using a leave in conditioner but they all have fragrance.:( Evil fragrance..:D It sucks being fragrance intolerant.

Annalouise

Maybe it isn't gentics; maybe it is Arizona's dry air. Have you noticed that you get discouragingly dry ends at the end of winter?

My hair was insanely dry when I was in Arizona. Actually, so was my long haired cat's. I would wrap him in damp towels every day or so to keep his fly-away hair from matting.

Yes!:D Arizona is killer on the hair. Its so dry here you wouldn't believe it! And it doesn't help the hair. People I have talked to here tell me they deep condition their hair daily. I don't know how people keep their hair moisturized but I suspect they either don't wash it, or they use a TON of conditioner. My hair is dry here all year round.

MonaLisa
April 1st, 2011, 07:21 PM
Hello! I'm new to the forums! And i think i belog to this group! My hair is silky and really really fine, but not exactly thin? fine is for...individual hairs, and thin/thick for the volume, did i get it correct? :)

DoubleCrowned
April 1st, 2011, 09:34 PM
Annalouise said
Using a deep conditioner daily helps me a lot but I have fragrance sensitivities and I haven't found a deep conditioner that is fragrance free. My fragrance free conditioners are not that great. I sometimes heavy oil my hair at night but I haven't found that to really moisturize my hair. And its a pain washing the oil out so I don't do that much.
I've tried using a leave in conditioner but they all have fragrance. Evil fragrance.. It sucks being fragrance intolerant.

I am fragrance intolerant, too. I used Aubrey's GPB conditioner safely, but am a little worried about using it now, because the fragrance from the new bottle seemed awfully strong. Even though it only uses real essential oils, the citrus-based ones can be rough on us, so I hesitate to take the chance. However, Aubrey put out a book years ago telling his recipes. Maybe we can cook up a safe substitute.

One thing that impressed me about Arizona, where I was at least, was how many women kept their hair shorter than 2" long! Not a puzzle, is it...

DoubleCrowned
April 1st, 2011, 09:40 PM
Or you could take come silk material & make a silk pillowcase. That isn't too hard to do. Sometimes the silk cap bugs me when I sleep slipping down over my eyes, & I prefer a silk pillowcase.

I guess that would depend on how sewing savvy you are. I think all you would need would be an elastic type of band...?

Sounds so easy, I will have to try. Gee, maybe the shirt could just button onto the pillow! The arms could fold gently over my eyes to keep out the light... Maybe I could tuck a sachet in the pocket.... Ahhhh, luxury--provided I don't turn the thing over and tangle my hair in the buttons!

DoubleCrowned
April 1st, 2011, 09:44 PM
Hello! I'm new to the forums! And i think i belog to this group! My hair is silky and really really fine, but not exactly thin? fine is for...individual hairs, and thin/thick for the volume, did i get it correct? :)

Welcome. That is the way I understand it.

Annalouise
April 3rd, 2011, 11:43 AM
Annalouise said

I am fragrance intolerant, too. I used Aubrey's GPB conditioner safely, but am a little worried about using it now, because the fragrance from the new bottle seemed awfully strong. Even though it only uses real essential oils, the citrus-based ones can be rough on us, so I hesitate to take the chance. However, Aubrey put out a book years ago telling his recipes. Maybe we can cook up a safe substitute.

One thing that impressed me about Arizona, where I was at least, was how many women kept their hair shorter than 2" long! Not a puzzle, is it...

Aubrey's although natural, uses a TON of scents. I wish they would put out a fragrance free product.
I think the women here who have very long hair must use a lot of products in their hair to keep it moisturized.
Maybe I should go back to doing CO with fragrance free conditioner. Shampoo or soap might be too drying.

MsBubbles
April 3rd, 2011, 11:51 AM
Annalouise: Camellia oil has no scent. Have you tried it?

Annalouise
April 3rd, 2011, 11:59 AM
MsBubbles, no I haven't tried it. Is it much different from other oils? I've tried coconut, olive, jojoba, and almond.

MsBubbles
April 3rd, 2011, 12:52 PM
MsBubbles, no I haven't tried it. Is it much different from other oils? I've tried coconut, olive, jojoba, and almond.

It's different for me in that all those other oils are way too heavy for my fine hair! Camellia oil is the only oil I've tried that is light enough for my hair, and even then I have to dilute it.

MeganE
April 3rd, 2011, 05:34 PM
Wow! I just used a clarifying shampoo and let my hair air dry. I went from a 1A to a 2A in no time flat!!

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/5342/picture5xy.th.png (http://img822.imageshack.us/i/picture5xy.png/)

Have any of you other fine-haired people found waves hiding underneath your build-up coated hair? Particularly after spending years thinking your hair was straight?

Annalouise
April 3rd, 2011, 05:41 PM
It's different for me in that all those other oils are way too heavy for my fine hair! Camellia oil is the only oil I've tried that is light enough for my hair, and even then I have to dilute it.

I shall try it then!:) My hair looks oiled with the other oils.

Wow! I just used a clarifying shampoo and let my hair air dry. I went from a 1A to a 2A in no time flat!!

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/5342/picture5xy.th.png (http://img822.imageshack.us/i/picture5xy.png/)

Have any of you other fine-haired people found waves hiding underneath your build-up coated hair? Particularly after spending years thinking your hair was straight?

That's weird. It's possible if you didn't shampoo your hair well for a long time and had product buildup, that your hair lost its curl. I do find shampooing my hair to be necessary to remove build up also.

MeganE
April 3rd, 2011, 07:03 PM
I think it's weird too. I have been using clarifying shampoos in my shampoo rotation for years though, and never found waves. I didn't specify that I think this is also the first time I've been cone-free in both shampoo and conditioner, and used a clarifying shampoo, not combed or brushed afterwards, and let my hair completely air dry. Pretty sure I've never done that combo before. I always detangle when my hair is damp, and I usually prefer cones for the slip. I had a hard time detangling my wavy, unconed hair today after it dried.

DoubleCrowned
April 3rd, 2011, 11:07 PM
Aubrey's although natural, uses a TON of scents. I wish they would put out a fragrance free product.
I think the women here who have very long hair must use a lot of products in their hair to keep it moisturized.
Maybe I should go back to doing CO with fragrance free conditioner. Shampoo or soap might be too drying.

The essential oils in the GPB conditioner by Aubrey have a purpose. The rosemary oil (very strong fragrance) stimulates the scalp, which would encourage growth; the citrus seed extract preserves the vitamins and wheat germ oil; Oh, I forget what the sage oils would do...But I doubt that it is tossed in as a fragrance.

When I was in AZ, an old man told me that the Indians there used aloe vera to clean and moisturize their hair. He didn't tell me if they left it in.

I have a nasty little surprise about "fragrance-free" products. There are fragrance chemicals added to them in order to mask the fragrance of the chemical in the product! This is true whether it is a cosmetic or household cleanser. That is why I can't use any petroleum-based product or any "natural" product that uses "fragrance", "fragrance oils", or preservatives that are derived from petroleum.

lokiveil
April 4th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Annalouise,
I too have fragrance allergies, bad enough that I cannot use 99% of the laundry detergents out there and just walking near a Bath and Body Works has my nose and throat swollen shut, ugh. I like making my own stuff. I don't have any recipes, but I just kind of throw this and that in until I find something I like. I tried buy the "fragrance free" products.....But I still had reactions to them, possibly from what DoubleCrowned mentioned about fragrance chemicals.

Aloe gel is amazing! I know mix that with castile soap, a bit of coconut oil and water as my "shampoo" for when I oil my hair and I can use the Suave coconut conditioner (but not the shampoo, lol), so I use that for my CO.

UP Lisa
April 4th, 2011, 07:52 AM
I thought my hair was straight until a few years ago. I have had many perms over the years to make it not so straight and flat. One reason I thought it was straight is that when it is short, it is straight. You don't see the waves till it gets longer. I believe it was after I started CO washing that I started to notice waves. I couldn't believe it! I thought I was a 1A, and I'm a 2B! The more moisture I can get into it, the more wave I get. The under layers are usually wavier than the top, since the top gets more dried out and damaged.

Annalouise
April 4th, 2011, 09:12 AM
The essential oils in the GPB conditioner by Aubrey have a purpose. The rosemary oil (very strong fragrance) stimulates the scalp, which would encourage growth; the citrus seed extract preserves the vitamins and wheat germ oil; Oh, I forget what the sage oils would do...But I doubt that it is tossed in as a fragrance.

When I was in AZ, an old man told me that the Indians there used aloe vera to clean and moisturize their hair. He didn't tell me if they left it in.

I have a nasty little surprise about "fragrance-free" products. There are fragrance chemicals added to them in order to mask the fragrance of the chemical in the product! This is true whether it is a cosmetic or household cleanser. That is why I can't use any petroleum-based product or any "natural" product that uses "fragrance", "fragrance oils", or preservatives that are derived from petroleum.

I have an Aubreys Green tea conditioner and the henna rinse in my cupboard but I don't use them because they are too smelly. (I'm not allergic to them or anything, its just too much for my nose).

I have several fragrance free conditioners and they don't have masking fragrance. One is called 'everyday shea' conditioner and it smells like shea butter. And 'free and clear' products do not have masking fragrance. As well as the whole foods fragrance free conditioner.

I know what you mean about masking fragrance. I can smell it. Most commercial deodorants that say "unscented" have masking fragrance but you will see "fragrance" listed on the ingredients.

It's tough finding things that are truly fragrance free. I used to use the "free and clear" laundry detergent and now it is giving me a skin rash.:(

Interesting about aloe vera gel. The native Americans around here have nice hair. I don't know how they keep it so nice but I think its also genetics. Because their hair is black and that makes a difference in terms of damage from the sun. My hair is light brown and the ends turn blond and get really bleached out by the sun.
They also don't get the wrinkles that white people get either. And my husband is Hispanic and he has NO wrinkles! Grrrrrrr..
So having darker skin and darker hair helps.
Last night I told my husband I need to start using wrinkle cream because I'm getting wrinkles (I'm 40) and he said "yeah, I noticed your wrinkles". :o

Anyways, I don't think my genetics are well suited to the desert. And I rather doubt my hair will reach long lengths here. Maybe somewhere else.:) I'll tell hubby we should move for the sake of my hair and skin.:D He told me last night - "well just don't go out in the sun!"

Annalouise,
I too have fragrance allergies, bad enough that I cannot use 99% of the laundry detergents out there and just walking near a Bath and Body Works has my nose and throat swollen shut, ugh. I like making my own stuff. I don't have any recipes, but I just kind of throw this and that in until I find something I like. I tried buy the "fragrance free" products.....But I still had reactions to them, possibly from what DoubleCrowned mentioned about fragrance chemicals.

Aloe gel is amazing! I know mix that with castile soap, a bit of coconut oil and water as my "shampoo" for when I oil my hair and I can use the Suave coconut conditioner (but not the shampoo, lol), so I use that for my CO.

Me too.:) What laundry soap do you use? I was using Free & Clear for a long time and now I have skin rashes from it. All up and down my arms where they rub against the side of my body are all covered in rash. And where my pants rub on my legs.
And I get breathing problems and chest pains when I smell fragrance too. I really wish they would ban those chemicals. The fragrance in laundry products are the absolute worst! I can't go in my yard when my neighbor has her dyer on with all the ton of dryer sheets she uses.:(

So you use castile soap? The liquid or the bar soap? I tried the liquid and it turned my hair into a ball of wax.

UP Lisa
April 4th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I tried to find this at Walmart, but couldn't find it. They didn't really seem to have a "natural section".

a great leave on you can get at Walmart- it's called Giovanni weightless moisture leave in, it's in the natural section with burts bees. I adore it, a little goes a loooonnnggg way, it's quick thick.I have rally fine, thin hair and use coconut oil as a leave in almost daily, just a tiny bit for shine and smoothness. Too much and I look greasy.

MeganE
April 4th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I thought my hair was straight until a few years ago. I have had many perms over the years to make it not so straight and flat. One reason I thought it was straight is that when it is short, it is straight. You don't see the waves till it gets longer. I believe it was after I started CO washing that I started to notice waves. I couldn't believe it! I thought I was a 1A, and I'm a 2B! The more moisture I can get into it, the more wave I get. The under layers are usually wavier than the top, since the top gets more dried out and damaged.

Yay! I'm not the only one! :D It's so weird to wake up this morning and STILL have wavy hair. It's like waking up with it being a different color or something. SO WEIRD!

Have you noticed the classification system is a little different on naturallycurly.com, compared to the system on LHC? The article on LHC talks about the shapes of the waves and the curls, but naturallycurly.com takes into account the individual hair strand. I have fine hair, which is why I put 2A, but if I use the article on LHC, I could potentially even be a 2C. Any ideas about which one is accurate?

http://www.naturallycurly.com/pages/hairtypes/type2

and

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=5

ETA: UP Lisa, I've noticed your signature before. I even wondered at the time how I would feel if I found waves... I never thought it would be me!!

DoubleCrowned
April 4th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Annalouise,

Same here. Be very, very careful about exposures to chemicals, even in food and clothing. If you are already reacting this much, you could easily develop sensitivities to other families of chemicals, and the reactions can include more than just respiratory involvement.

How lucky we are, that this forum has scores of people sharing experiences and offering pointers about water only washing and other alternatives to products that some cannot tolerate!

UP Lisa
April 4th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Yes. I don't like the classification system at naturallycurly.com. I think the system here is better. I guess I like to get more specific.

Yay! I'm not the only one! :D It's so weird to wake up this morning and STILL have wavy hair. It's like waking up with it being a different color or something. SO WEIRD!

Have you noticed the classification system is a little different on naturallycurly.com, compared to the system on LHC? The article on LHC talks about the shapes of the waves and the curls, but naturallycurly.com takes into account the individual hair strand. I have fine hair, which is why I put 2A, but if I use the article on LHC, I could potentially even be a 2C. Any ideas about which one is accurate?

http://www.naturallycurly.com/pages/hairtypes/type2

and

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=5

ETA: UP Lisa, I've noticed your signature before. I even wondered at the time how I would feel if I found waves... I never thought it would be me!!

bella77
April 4th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I tried to find this at Walmart, but couldn't find it. They didn't really seem to have a "natural section".

I am sorry, maybe your walmart does not carry it. It's in a square-ish bottle and they have it stockes with- Alba, Burt's bees, Say yes to..., among some others that are more natural lines. Do you have a local health food store? Whole Foods? I believe they carry the line also. Good luck!

UP Lisa
April 4th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Our health food store(s) don't carry the brand. We don't have a Whole Foods. I'll see if maybe Sally's has it.

I am sorry, maybe your walmart does not carry it. It's in a square-ish bottle and they have it stockes with- Alba, Burt's bees, Say yes to..., among some others that are more natural lines. Do you have a local health food store? Whole Foods? I believe they carry the line also. Good luck!

DoubleCrowned
April 4th, 2011, 10:01 AM
I have an Aubreys Green tea conditioner and the henna rinse in my cupboard but I don't use them because they are too smelly. (I'm not allergic to them or anything, its just too much for my nose).

I have several fragrance free conditioners and they don't have masking fragrance. One is called 'everyday shea' conditioner and it smells like shea butter. And 'free and clear' products do not have masking fragrance. As well as the whole foods fragrance free conditioner.

I know what you mean about masking fragrance. I can smell it. Most commercial deodorants that say "unscented" have masking fragrance but you will see "fragrance" listed on the ingredients.

It's tough finding things that are truly fragrance free. I used to use the "free and clear" laundry detergent and now it is giving me a skin rash.:(

..... I was using Free & Clear for a long time and now I have skin rashes from it. All up and down my arms where they rub against the side of my body are all covered in rash. And where my pants rub on my legs.
And I get breathing problems and chest pains when I smell fragrance too. I really wish they would ban those chemicals. The fragrance in laundry products are the absolute worst! I can't go in my yard when my neighbor has her dyer on with all the ton of dryer sheets she uses.:(

You could easily be sensitive to the essential oils Aubrey is using in that product, or you could already be so chemically sensitive that you have developed a hypersensitive sense of smell. Either way, you are right to respect your body's warning system and avoid those products and their odors.

It often starts because of the fragrance chemicals, but spreads to other families of chemicals. So, even if there are no fragrance or masking fragrances in a product, you can react to substances with related chemicals in them--like the Free & Clear you mention. Notice, too, that your sensitivity is already manifesting both as breathing problems and skin rashes.

MsBubbles
April 4th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I shall try it then!:) My hair looks oiled with the other oils. .

I have only ever bought it from Hedy's Haven on Ebay. Never had a problem with the transaction, shipping or product.

Nenwing
April 4th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Those of you who have fine hair (each strand is quite thin), do you have trouble with your hair getting greasy looking quicker? I notice I pretty much have to wash my hair every single day, if I skip one day then it looks definitely unwashed.

Also, about the ponytail thickness, I was thinking about this too today. A fine haired person and a coarse haired person could have exactly the same numbers of hair on their head, but the fine haired person's ponytail will just naturally be a smaller diameter because all those fine hairs get compacted a lot more.

If you have a grouping of 20 strands of bulky yarn and a grouping of 20 strands of baby yarn, of course the bulky yarn is going to be a thicker diameter around.

I wouldn't be surprised if a 2" circumference fine-haired and a 3" (or more) circumference coarse-haired person had about the same number of hairs on the head. Its just that coarse can = more thickness.

DoubleCrowned
April 5th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Those of you who have fine hair (each strand is quite thin), do you have trouble with your hair getting greasy looking quicker? I notice I pretty much have to wash my hair every single day, if I skip one day then it looks definitely unwashed.

Also, about the ponytail thickness, I was thinking about this too today. A fine haired person and a coarse haired person could have exactly the same numbers of hair on their head, but the fine haired person's ponytail will just naturally be a smaller diameter because all those fine hairs get compacted a lot more.

If you have a grouping of 20 strands of bulky yarn and a grouping of 20 strands of baby yarn, of course the bulky yarn is going to be a thicker diameter around.

I wouldn't be surprised if a 2" circumference fine-haired and a 3" (or more) circumference coarse-haired person had about the same number of hairs on the head. Its just that coarse can = more thickness.

My hair got greasy faster if I used shampoo. It takes the scalp to adjust, but I found that using something other than shampoo lead to hair needing fewer washings.

It isn't fair, is it, that we fine-haired folks have to grow more hairs to get a thick ponytail. However, in my opinion, fine hair has a breathtaking beauty if it is healthy because it is so delicate, so ethereal--and the sheen is more of a glow from it. Sooo pretty.

SlightlySoprano
April 5th, 2011, 06:23 AM

I used to have this problem. I just stretched my washes out to every other day. It did take about 2 weeks to get past the adjustment period, and what I did in the first week was

day 1 - shampoo + conditioner, as normal
day 2 - conditioner only
day 3 - s+c
day 4 - rinse with water only
day 5 - s+c
day 6 - skip washing hair all together
day 7 - s+c

eventually, every other day i could skip all together!

Cupofmilk
April 5th, 2011, 06:34 AM
I have superfine hair. I can't see most of the individual strands - apart from the few weird coarse ones which are black (not the same colour as the rest of my hair).
My hair looks greasy quickly and I am struggling with the ends as usual. I have to be very careful with it as fine hair seems to damage more easily - my coarse hairs neverf seem to break easily - I plucked ttwo hairs from my end - one F and one C and then I pulled them unitl they snapped - the C one took quite a lot to break - he F was nowhere near as strong.
I do have a reasonable overall volume of hair and I oil mine everyday... I wear it up which hides the greasy look and wash every 2-3 days. Headcoverings are you friend!

UP Lisa
April 5th, 2011, 06:54 AM
My scalp has been oily since I was a teenager, and nothing helps to stretch out the washings. I believe I inherited the condition from my Dad. He is 85, and still has an oily scalp. Lucky me!

Nessarose
April 5th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Those of you who have fine hair (each strand is quite thin), do you have trouble with your hair getting greasy looking quicker? I notice I pretty much have to wash my hair every single day, if I skip one day then it looks definitely unwashed...

I have been CO washing for about 2 weeks every other day and my hair has been less greasy then when using just shampoo on my scalp. Although I use dry shampoo on my scalp for volume--this could be helping. But I used to use more dry shampoo with shampooing than CO washing.

trillian
April 5th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Help?

I have this horrible chunk of hair directly behind one ear, that feels just disgusting. It's almost like someone took a giant chunk of wax and rubbed it all over my hair in this spot. It feels like it isn't dry, when I know it has to be. It goes all the way from the roots to the ends and it seems like it's getting larger every time I try to wash it out.

The rest of my hair feels fine, my scalp is trucking along as usual. I've been experimenting with dry shampoos recently, and until this development, I only washed about every third or fourth day, and I generally just use whatever is on sale in terms of shampoo / conditioner.

I tried clarifying shampoo - which seemed to make it worse. On the advice of a friend I tried egg whites, which I didn't think about the hot water aspect, and ended up with chunks. The same friend suggested beer, which had no effect at all (at least it didn't make it worse?) I've been thinking of trying baking soda / vinegar, which I've tried before and didn't do nice things for my hair.

I'm at my wits end! Suggestions anyone? Please?

Rocket22
April 5th, 2011, 07:38 PM
My hair got greasy faster if I used shampoo. It takes the scalp to adjust, but I found that using something other than shampoo lead to hair needing fewer washings.

It isn't fair, is it, that we fine-haired folks have to grow more hairs to get a thick ponytail. However, in my opinion, fine hair has a breathtaking beauty if it is healthy because it is so delicate, so ethereal--and the sheen is more of a glow from it. Sooo pretty.

I so needed to hear something like this..sometimes I'm soooo discouraged about my fine hair I can't think of anything good about it :) people with thick hair all they have to do is grow, us fine hair gals and guys we can grow but we can never gain a significant amount of thickness :(

MsBubbles
April 5th, 2011, 07:49 PM

Yes. But my hair is long enough now that I just do a scalp wash every day instead. Stretching washes never did a thing to ease up the grease problem, and I tried it for over a year.

My scalp has been oily since I was a teenager, and nothing helps to stretch out the washings. I believe I inherited the condition from my Dad. He is 85, and still has an oily scalp. Lucky me!

Me too! My Dad's in his mid 70s with greasy, straight, fine hair! But he does still have hair, at least, and it's not very grey, either.

Trillian! Great username! I have no idea what to suggest. How long ago did this problem start?

Rocket22: I hear ya. It's a long fight to get semi-decent looking hair that doesn't look straggly. It's not split or ratty, it just looks it! It bothers me that thick, wavy haired people can just let it grow and have it look 'healthy' just because it's thick and wavy.

trillian
April 5th, 2011, 07:57 PM
MsBubbles - thanks. I first noticed a tiny chunk last Friday, when it was about the circumference of dime. It's tripled in size since then. Possibly because I've been washing it with anything I can think of.

MsBubbles
April 5th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Well I'm stumped! (Doesn't take much!).

I think maybe you might get more traffic and therefore advice if you posted a separate thread about this. It's weird that it's all the way through to your ends too. Have you changed anything recently - like where you sleep, or where your head might come into contact with something? Do you have any kind of psoriasis or seborrheic dermatitis?

If you look with mirror at it, does the place look perfectly round?

This is a big site with lots of members, so somebody out there may have been through something similar.

SlightlySoprano
April 5th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Trillian!

a couple of things:

1) is it starting from the scalp?

2) does your scalp hurt/burn/itch/anything out of the ordinary?

3) have you changed your routine/products at all?

DoubleCrowned
April 6th, 2011, 03:48 PM
I so needed to hear something like this..sometimes I'm soooo discouraged about my fine hair I can't think of anything good about it :) people with thick hair all they have to do is grow, us fine hair gals and guys we can grow but we can never gain a significant amount of thickness :(

Likewise, your comment-- that you would rather have thin long hair than thin short hair-- strengthened my resolve to try to restore my hair without whacking it all the way back to where it is healthy. "Healthy" would be at about 5" because of the beating it has taken from being sick so long. I realized that I don't want to wait years to feel it on my back again or to be able to wear it up.

DoubleCrowned
April 6th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Help?

I have this horrible chunk of hair directly behind one ear, that feels just disgusting. It's almost like someone took a giant chunk of wax and rubbed it all over my hair in this spot. It feels like it isn't dry, when I know it has to be. It goes all the way from the roots to the ends and it seems like it's getting larger every time I try to wash it out.

The rest of my hair feels fine, my scalp is trucking along as usual. I've been experimenting with dry shampoos recently, and until this development, I only washed about every third or fourth day, and I generally just use whatever is on sale in terms of shampoo / conditioner.

I tried clarifying shampoo - which seemed to make it worse. On the advice of a friend I tried egg whites, which I didn't think about the hot water aspect, and ended up with chunks. The same friend suggested beer, which had no effect at all (at least it didn't make it worse?) I've been thinking of trying baking soda / vinegar, which I've tried before and didn't do nice things for my hair.

I'm at my wits end! Suggestions anyone? Please?

If it somehow got soiled, I can see how trying different shampoos on it would only make the gunk spread more. Maybe it would help to treat it as if you are cleaning a fragile fabric: rub cornstarch into it--lots of it. The idea is to absorb the fats in the goo. If there is any way to hide it, leave it in for days. If fabric, I would wait a week, but you may not have that much time... The next step is to gently brush it off. If it is still gooey, what I do for fabrics involves essential oils--but I am not the one to recommend that for your hair because I don't know which ones are okay for hair or you.

But another thought is to find a fat that would soften and combine with the fatty part of the "stain". Maybe rub mayonnaise into it-- really work it in, then use a more traditional cleaning method to remove the goo-laden mayo.

Those are the methods I would try, anyway. Maybe they will give you some ideas. Good luck.

trillian
April 6th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Thanks folks. I'll try starting a separate thread. But any input yall might have would be awesome. I'm getting kinda desperate!

It isn't perfectly round. I haven't changed anything about my sleep habits. I do have psoriasis, but it has never effected my scalp before.

Yes, it seemed to start from my scalp, because it traveled downward if you know what I mean. It doesn't itch, hurt or do anything but be gross.

I switch shampoos about once a month or so because I get buildup if I don't, but I alternate between ones I've used before. The only thing I've done differently is use that stupid dry shampoo that doesn't work well for me anyway. I'm going to be so upset if that is the culprit.

tiny_teesha
April 8th, 2011, 01:36 AM
I've decided that with THIN hair, the longer the better. It weighs it down slightly so it isn't a frizzy see through curtain like halo all over the place.
So, looks like i'm growing again guys! (unless i get a pixie cut and mousse the heck out of it!)

Misti
April 8th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Camellia oil has no scent. Have you tried it?

Can anyone tell me where you find Camellia oil? Even jojoba is kind of heavy for my hair...this sounds promising...

Rocket22
April 8th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Likewise, your comment-- that you would rather have thin long hair than thin short hair-- strengthened my resolve to try to restore my hair without whacking it all the way back to where it is healthy. "Healthy" would be at about 5" because of the beating it has taken from being sick so long. I realized that I don't want to wait years to feel it on my back again or to be able to wear it up.

Aww see you helped me and I helped you!! but I know what you mean. I hate my bleach layers they are horrible and fuzzy and I'm hoping that in several years I might have gained some thickness from all these new baby sprouts I have going on, I'm assuming someday will catch up to be in my ponytail.

heidihug
April 8th, 2011, 01:51 PM
MsBubbles and I have discussed the stretching washings topic before - I can't do it, either. I mean, I do go three or four days sometimes between washings, but only when I am sick, and/or am not leaving the house during the 2nd or 3rd day. By the morning of the 3rd day the first 8 or 10 inches of my hair is a stringy, clump of mess. It's so oily that, if I run my hands through it, I have to wipe them off as there is a sheen left on my fingers. And, it's not just my scalp that's oily, it's my face, neck, back, too. People who don't have this issue just have NO idea what it's like, just like I have no idea what it's like to constantly battle dry skin and scalp.

Camelia and carnation oil are my holy grail, although I only use them on the bottom 25" or so of my hair. I've found them at health food stores on occasion. I am running low, and will need to search them out again.

I measured the circumference of my pony at its base the other night, and, sadly, I am still less than 2.25". More like a scant 2.15". [sigh] Well, I do make up for that in length, I suppose.

MsBubbles
April 8th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Can anyone tell me where you find Camellia oil? Even jojoba is kind of heavy for my hair...this sounds promising...

Here's a thread with some info. Also there's a really long thread on the 'Recipes, Henna and Herbal Haircare' section, titled 'Camellia Oil!', that has a lot of info in, also.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=67730

Yes, even jojoba is too heavy for my hair.

Glad to have some greasy-scalp company, heidihug! :)

DoubleCrowned
April 9th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Aww see you helped me and I helped you!! but I know what you mean. I hate my bleach layers they are horrible and fuzzy and I'm hoping that in several years I might have gained some thickness from all these new baby sprouts I have going on, I'm assuming someday will catch up to be in my ponytail.

If mine all make it to my pony tail, my volume will increase dramatically. However, I have no idea how to protect them because they are too short to oil or even micro trim. Oh... a satin pillowcase. What else?

Misti
April 9th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Here's a thread with some info. Also there's a really long thread on the 'Recipes, Henna and Herbal Haircare' section, titled 'Camellia Oil!', that has a lot of info in, also.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=67730

Yes, even jojoba is too heavy for my hair.

Glad to have some greasy-scalp company, heidihug! :)

Thank you!!

Rocket22
April 9th, 2011, 09:48 AM
If mine all make it to my pony tail, my volume will increase dramatically. However, I have no idea how to protect them because they are too short to oil or even micro trim. Oh... a satin pillowcase. What else?

Well Im assuming just taking care of them and time. Mine are self induced breakage from many years of bad care. I have been a very good girl for about 6 months now but that is really only 3" of growth so it will take some time and patience to get there

CarpeDM
April 9th, 2011, 10:08 AM
You know this has me wondering about something...when you measure your ponytail circumference do you measure it in a high ponytail, a medium ponytail or a low ponytail? What is the standard?

SlightlySoprano
April 9th, 2011, 10:28 AM
You know this has me wondering about something...when you measure your ponytail circumference do you measure it in a high ponytail, a medium ponytail or a low ponytail? What is the standard?
I would say medium, but really anywhere I can get the most hair into. For me right now I've got lots of 2-3" baby hairs that would never make it into a ponytail unless I could make a pony on my forehead :silly:

CarpeDM
April 9th, 2011, 11:52 AM
I would say medium, but really anywhere I can get the most hair into. For me right now I've got lots of 2-3" baby hairs that would never make it into a ponytail unless I could make a pony on my forehead :silly:

OK that is good to know. That was how I measured before, but I was thinking the circumference could change depending on how high or low I did it. Higher would be greater and lower would be less. I didn't want the results to be skewed...

rags
April 10th, 2011, 09:42 AM
If you read the hairtyping sticky/article (it's been so long I don't remember which it is!) it says to gather your hair into a ponytail so that you have the most hair possible. If that's on top of your head, put it there! The idea is to figure out how much hair you actually have, even if it's in layers.

Oh, and I'm another one that has trouble stretching washes. In my case, I can go every other day IF I'm not going to the gym and have used a non-cone conditioner AND it's not the middle of summer. Otherwise forget it. I do use CO sometimes inbetween my shampoo though, to try and mitigate the dryness to the ends of my hair (my hair isn't long enough at the moment to scalp wash as I used to).

Gwen
April 10th, 2011, 09:47 AM
My hair is fine and thin. I find that it feels thicker and I can do more with it when I don't wash it for a couple of days :shrug:

Gwen

DoubleCrowned
April 10th, 2011, 06:30 PM
My hair is fine and thin. I find that it feels thicker and I can do more with it when I don't wash it for a couple of days :shrug:

Gwen

Have you tried water-only washing, or washing only with the herb soapwort? It might be just the thing for you.

tiny_teesha
April 13th, 2011, 12:01 AM
My hair is very thin and half of it is very fine, the other being medium coarse. I wish i could find somethign heavy to weight it down. It's better than a giant halo of fluffy light hair.

Kherome
April 20th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Well, the truth is since I've joined LHC I have steadfastly ignored this thread, avoided this thread, and thought to myself, *I don't belong on that thread*...But the truth is I do, so here I am. Yep, I have FINE hair, and none too thick. My pony measures just under 3".

So here I am. I am Danish by genetics, and I have the typical super fine Scandanavian hair. I don't hate my hair or anything, I just wish it weren't so fragile. I envy coarse hair frankly. My mother has very coarse hair, and super curly, she's like a 3c. I'm a 1b/c. Wierd. LOL My buns are not the giants I'd like them to be, my chinese braided bun is quite small compared to what I usually see posted here: http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj135/iwasbornonahorse/cb.jpg

So my fellow fines, I like this stuff here: http://www.amazon.com/organics-Follicle-Treatment-Volumizer-Thinning/dp/B0006SFXYY/ref=pd_sim_bt_7

Anyone else try it?

tiny_teesha
April 21st, 2011, 06:22 AM
Tea rinses are good! They make the ends stringy and the roots fluffy and not oily for days! I like!

UP Lisa
April 21st, 2011, 06:25 AM
How do you do a tea rinse?

tiny_teesha
April 21st, 2011, 07:23 AM
What i did was fill a cup with numerous herbs (those which limit hair fall)
like rosemary, sage, bringraj, brahmi, hibiscus, fenugreek....etc.
Pour boiling hot water over it.
Take it beside the shower.
Get in the shower and shampoo, by then the tea is a lot cooler to tolerate (it takes me a while to organise a towel and clothes)
then i take a sieve and pour it into another container. And get that and pour it over my hair. I apply conditioner to the ends, do the rest of my shower duties, and then rinse the ends. I am experimenting with rinsing the tea partially or completely to see what effect i like most.
Not rinsing at all left my hair a bit too tangly boofy, but i kind of liked it, and my scalp was SO CLEAN and not as oily as it would have been. With part rinsing it was still a bit tangly and not as clean and didn't stay clean as long, weirdly enough... Well the 2 times I've tried thus far anyway.

UP Lisa
April 21st, 2011, 09:38 AM
Thank you, Tiny Teesha.

Valdeon
April 21st, 2011, 09:57 AM
my chinese braided bun is quite small compared to what I usually see posted here:

I realize that it is absolutely off topic, but.... What a gorgeous hair stick! WHere on earth did you get it?

erialc
April 21st, 2011, 10:11 AM

Gwen

Same here! The longer I wait until next wash, the thicker and heavier it feels. I only use conditioner and if I use other hair products I need to wash it sooner.

Kwongdzu
April 21st, 2011, 03:23 PM
I know there's a super-short thread, but thought I'd post this here first: for those of you who started growing from a pixie, did you find that one particular way of washing (CO, CWC, or something else) helped the condition of your fine/thin hair as it got longer? I'm still kind of experimenting...

HoneyJubilee
April 22nd, 2011, 12:07 AM
Well, the truth is since I've joined LHC I have steadfastly ignored this thread, avoided this thread, and thought to myself, *I don't belong on that thread*...But the truth is I do, so here I am. Yep, I have FINE hair, and none too thick. My pony measures just under 3".

So here I am. I am Danish by genetics, and I have the typical super fine Scandanavian hair. I don't hate my hair or anything, I just wish it weren't so fragile. I envy coarse hair frankly. My mother has very coarse hair, and super curly, she's like a 3c. I'm a 1b/c. Wierd. LOL My buns are not the giants I'd like them to be, my chinese braided bun is quite small compared to what I usually see posted here: http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj135/iwasbornonahorse/cb.jpg

So my fellow fines, I like this stuff here: http://www.amazon.com/organics-Follicle-Treatment-Volumizer-Thinning/dp/B0006SFXYY/ref=pd_sim_bt_7

Anyone else try it?

Your bun looks large compared to mine :) And I love that hairstick.

LotusFIre
April 22nd, 2011, 12:21 AM
I have fine hair, but about medium thickness I would say. My hair seems to like cones, but NOT Pantene YUCK it made my hair waxy.
I tried the natural washing methods and they seemed to make my hair frizzy and limp so I now use Mane and Tail and it has strengthened my hair immensely. I am always looking for updos that will work with my hair type and length.
I am currently in a deathmatch with my twisting bobby pins..RRRR!!!
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5110/5642343870_f08dcd2812.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56465232@N07/5642343870/)
IMG_0171 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56465232@N07/5642343870/) by franmail08 (http://www.flickr.com/people/56465232@N07/), on Flickr

rags
April 23rd, 2011, 08:26 AM
I have fine hair, but about medium thickness I would say. My hair seems to like cones, but NOT Pantene YUCK it made my hair waxy.
I tried the natural washing methods and they seemed to make my hair frizzy and limp so I now use Mane and Tail and it has strengthened my hair immensely. I am always looking for updos that will work with my hair type and length.
I am currently in a deathmatch with my twisting bobby pins..RRRR!!!

Have you tried Amish pins or regular bun pins? The Amish pins are the only ones that will work with my super slippery baby fine hair.

vanillabones
April 23rd, 2011, 09:41 AM
The land of the fine thinnies. Where I belong. Haha. I have Scandanavian baby soft fine thin hair. My goal here someday would be to become a true 'ii' thickness :( I can't fit all of my length into a pony yet so I can keep dreaming right?!

bunzfan
April 23rd, 2011, 09:46 AM
Anyone have thick fine hair if you know what i mean:p last time i measured my ponytail it was 4 inches! it looks like i have really thick hair but the actual strands are pretty fine:confused:

vanillabones
April 23rd, 2011, 09:51 AM
No I think I'd be lucky to even measure 1inch... I know that there is a Fine and THICK hair thread though, wish I belonged there :d

Neoma
April 23rd, 2011, 10:03 AM
I know there's a super-short thread, but thought I'd post this here first: for those of you who started growing from a pixie, did you find that one particular way of washing (CO, CWC, or something else) helped the condition of your fine/thin hair as it got longer? I'm still kind of experimenting...Shampoo bars really make my hair look and feel "bulked up." Avoiding products with silicones also makes my hair look less silky and fine.

islandboo
April 23rd, 2011, 11:15 AM
I realize that it is absolutely off topic, but.... What a gorgeous hair stick! WHere on earth did you get it?

I hope Kherome doesn't mind my stepping in here, but I believe that stick came from LarksHairSticks on etsy. Karla does the most amazing carvings...

Kwongdzu
April 23rd, 2011, 11:52 AM
Shampoo bars really make my hair look and feel "bulked up." Avoiding products with silicones also makes my hair look less silky and fine.

Thanks Neoma! I've never used them but I'll give a bar a try. I've been using Garnier's Pure Clean products, and alternating their cond with Biolage. I tried CO for a few weeks but it made my hair too greasy- it does seem like no cones makes my texture a lot better, esp since I haven't used heat or colored my hair since I cut it last...

I just want to try to protect all these pixie ends while they grow out as best I can :)

Sunshineliz
April 23rd, 2011, 12:11 PM
I didn't realize Scandinavians typically had fine hair. That explains a lot given the 1/4 Norwegian in me! What's interesting is that all four of my kids have fine hair too, and they're only 1/8 Norwegian (vs their 1/4 Hispanic heritage from coarse-haired daddy!) Vikings win against Aztecs with superior numbers in the genetic struggle ?!:p

Kwongdzu
April 23rd, 2011, 12:13 PM
Shampoo bars really make my hair look and feel "bulked up." Avoiding products with silicones also makes my hair look less silky and fine.

And wow: did NOT know there was an entire thread about shampoo bars that you started! Will begin reading now...

ArienEllariel
April 23rd, 2011, 12:16 PM
I'm part finnish so I suppose that's where my fine hair comes from.

Neoma
April 23rd, 2011, 02:28 PM
And wow: did NOT know there was an entire thread about shampoo bars that you started! Will begin reading now...Yep, it's a monster thread. Happy reading! :flower:

CarpeDM
April 23rd, 2011, 02:35 PM
Have you tried Amish pins or regular bun pins? The Amish pins are the only ones that will work with my super slippery baby fine hair.

Rags, do you use the crimped ones?

Boudicca
April 23rd, 2011, 02:43 PM
I had no idea fine hair was typically Scandinavian. Why is this?

LotusFIre - btw - you are properly stunning looking!

rags
April 23rd, 2011, 02:55 PM
Rags, do you use the crimped ones?

No I need to order some. My local Amish store only has the plain ones. They work great for me, so I haven't tried the crimped yet.

sweet&sourkiwi
April 23rd, 2011, 03:07 PM
I had no idea fine hair was a Scandanavian thing either! I'm Norwegian descent on my mother's side, and she has the dreaded frog-fur. I think of my hair as FINE but compared to her it's lush and thick...er, sorry mom. So now the fineness makes sense!

(As to why I usually think of hereditary traits as being inherent to where we once lived...like Irish people sunburn so easily because Ireland is always cloudy...this is completely unscientific but it usually makes sense. Maybe our fine hair was just better suited to the Scandinavian climate and environs!)

I've noticed my fine hair seems to like a touch of protein! Any body else? For a big vavoom day I do a protein treatment.

My big discovery this year has been that I do NOT need to blow dry my fine hair to give it volume. I always thought this was my saving grace and would race to blowdry my hair before the dreaded-dried-on-it's-own look. Yes, my hair looks terrible and flat if I air-dry it down...but if I air dry in a messy bun the volume actually lasts longer than blow-dry volume! Blow dry volume crashes in a few hours, airdry-volume lasts a few days. Awesome discovery, one that could save my hair.

I also thought brushing was key to keep the few strands I have from clumping and looking stringy...but I discovered I can 'tangle tease' for the same effect and a lot less damage.

Anyway, much to learn still, but a thread like this helps!

UP Lisa
April 25th, 2011, 06:19 AM
I think just being very gentle with it, and not ever scrubbing the length, helps a lot.

I know there's a super-short thread, but thought I'd post this here first: for those of you who started growing from a pixie, did you find that one particular way of washing (CO, CWC, or something else) helped the condition of your fine/thin hair as it got longer? I'm still kind of experimenting...

DoubleCrowned
April 25th, 2011, 09:07 AM

I don't know if they are formulated like this now, but there was a time when hair conditioner was similar to fabric softener. Those conditioners weakened my hair to the point of causing it to break off. My hair was about APL at the time. I did not start getting real length until I quit using commercial shampoos and conditioners.

There are shampoos and conditioners today that are made of natural ingredients which I have used sparingly without damage, but I do not use anything what contains ingredients from petrochemicals.

CarpeDM
April 26th, 2011, 06:34 AM
No I need to order some. My local Amish store only has the plain ones. They work great for me, so I haven't tried the crimped yet.

Yeah I bought the regular ones first and then ordered some crimped ones and I ended up liking the crimped ones better because they fit a little tighter and didn't slide out as much. Apparently the straight ones are for thicker hair and the crimped ones are for finer hair according to the website I ordered from...