PDA

View Full Version : Average Monthly Hair Growth

YogaGirl59
December 16th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Ok, I measured my hair recently and found it only grew one half inch in a month. It seems like I have more than one half inch of gray roots, how is that possible?

I think one half inch is about average, but it seems like it's going to take FOREVER at this rate. What is everyone elses average monthly growth amount? What's the most effective methods of improving the growth amount?

chrissy-b
December 16th, 2008, 08:38 PM
HERE (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1888&highlight=growth+rate) is a thread on growth rates.

and HERE (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11089&highlight=works+doesn%27t) is a thread on things to help with growth.

For the last few months my hair has grown .5 in a month. It grew about .8 in per month while I was using Monistat but other than that, nothing has helped my hair grow faster. Somethings have helped my shed rate and helped new hairs grow (scalp massage and brushing) but not the overall speed.

jojo
December 17th, 2008, 01:01 AM
My hair goes through fast growing phases and virtually nil growing phases but overal I get 8" a year. Although I do like to measure, i find photos more encouraging and as long as its growing im a happy girl!

speakyword
December 17th, 2008, 01:35 AM
I used to get only 1/4 inch a month, but since I started on a good women's multivitamin I'm getting around 1/2 inch. :cheese:

Honey39
December 17th, 2008, 01:39 AM
I grow about 2 inches every three months - but it's variable. I think half an inch is absolutely spot on with what hair does, and is a good, healthy amount. I can usually count on getting about 6-8 inches of growth a year on average, but I go by the amount of roots that I get every three months for this measurement...

Happy growing....!!!

30isthenewblack
December 17th, 2008, 01:48 AM
I seem to average about 0.75" growth per month :smile:

florenonite
December 17th, 2008, 03:53 AM
I grow about 1/2" a month for most of the year, and 1" in the summer months.

suicides_eve
December 17th, 2008, 04:08 AM
i get around an 1" or so in the summer i can get up to 1.5 " a month. it just depends on your body's way of doing things.

Samara Morgan
December 17th, 2008, 08:10 AM
My average growth amount varies from month to month. I usually get about half an inch each month, but I found that in the two months I was taking vitamins I got an inch each month :agree: My hair grows quite slowly and as I trim it, I usually only get a total of about 4 inches a year. I'm trying to start trimming it less and taking supplements more consistently though :)

lora410
December 17th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Average growth is 1/4" per month, but mine varies from 1/4-1" a month. Also hair grows at different rates on all sections of you hair. So the bottom may have grown 1/2 and the top grew more. For instance the fastest growing area on my head is in the back and the top being the slowest.