PDA

View Full Version : I want my waves back

lora410
December 16th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Ok, I dont knwo if it is the henna or my layers growing out but my waves are almost gone. So, I was thinking of getting a re-layer but scared to goto a salon. That and I am not sure I want layers again. oh decisions decisions

YogaGirl59
December 16th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I found if I mix Amla with Henna it helps retain the curls/waves. I use Amla and water instead of lemon juice.

skydancer7
December 16th, 2008, 07:38 PM
It is pretty common (or so I've heard) for people to loose waves due to henna use.
Less henna, or if you are in love with henna:
sleep in braids or,
layers might help....
hope you find what works!!
Heidi

Sammybunny711
December 16th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I forget, are you a shampoo bar user or CO? I know that my waves are INSANELY pronounced with CO, although they were also there with poo bars. You might want to try CO to get your waves to come out. I have almost ringlety curls at the bottom of my hair due to CO. :o) Good luck!

Katze
December 17th, 2008, 02:04 AM
why would layers help your hair be wavier?

Since becoming pregnant my hair has gotten a LOT less wavy. My normal routine of leave-in and plopping doesn't work, so I have been damp bunning (I have to be really careful with this, since my ends kink and bend so easily) and also actually wearing braid waves, something I never thought I'd do.

Also, doing more regular SMTs seems to be bringing my waves back a little. I do get some spirals that disappear several days after a wash. It used to be the opposite - dirtier hair was wavier. But in my case, I think it's hormones.

venividibxtchy
December 17th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Perhaps, your hair is weighed down with the oils you are using? Maybe if you took a few days off of the oiling, or switched types, or did a deep clarifying wash, your curls might bounce back.

Comfrey
December 17th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Ok, I dont knwo if it is the henna or my layers growing out but my waves are almost gone. So, I was thinking of getting a re-layer but scared to goto a salon. That and I am not sure I want layers again. oh decisions decisions
If you want to get it layered you must find a hairdresser you trust. They can make or break your hair and your waves/curls.

A good hairdresser needn't be the most expensive, in fact I find those in the big posh salons almost have something to prove and theyre more likely to trash your hair. If you havent got one you trust, dont do it. It's just not worth the risk.

Oh and oils made my hair look awful, so it could be that I guess. I'd never used them before I came here, and spent a fortune trying different ones. Now I've gone back to my old routine. :rolleyes:

Arctic_Mama
December 17th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Henna is well known for flattening waves, though I am not sure why I noticed the same effect on my hair when I used it. I had been doing a CO, plopping, no-brushing routine that gave me great spirals, and each successive henna coloring made them less and less curly.

As your hair gets longer except your waves to flatten as well, and oil can have a straightening effect too. Any number of things can change the way your hair behaves - from weather to products to hormones changing the behavior of new growth... Try eliminating some items and see if that helps, and if that doesn't work and your new uncolored growth isn't wavy either, it may just be your body chemistry changing.

suicides_eve
December 17th, 2008, 04:14 AM
for my hair i found that having long layers done lightly ( hard to explain- not super choppy where you can tell its layered)helps bring out the best spirals/ curls i have.. but yes find a stylist you get good vibes about. a good one will ask lots of questions show you constantly what they are doing and let you see the back of your head in a mirror before she takes the cape off:p

Curlsgirl
December 17th, 2008, 06:01 AM
You are going to start with long layers right just lightly done? Good advice about trusting the hairdresser. I don't know that there is ANYONE I would trust! Also you may want to think about styling. Will you have to do anything to the layers like iron them or anything to get them to lay right? Just some thoughts. I know you don't want to do that. Also braids will not do as well.

lora410
December 17th, 2008, 06:10 AM
why would layers help your hair be wavier?

Since becoming pregnant my hair has gotten a LOT less wavy. My normal routine of leave-in and plopping doesn't work, so I have been damp bunning (I have to be really careful with this, since my ends kink and bend so easily) and also actually wearing braid waves, something I never thought I'd do.

Also, doing more regular SMTs seems to be bringing my waves back a little. I do get some spirals that disappear several days after a wash. It used to be the opposite - dirtier hair was wavier. But in my case, I think it's hormones.

I was thinking less weight on the hair. My shortest layer (in my siggy where you see a wave) is very wavy

Katze
December 17th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I was thinking less weight on the hair. My shortest layer (in my siggy where you see a wave) is very wavy

Is is weight? It would be bad to cut layers when this isn't the issue! For me my waves really started coming out when I had length - shoulder and beyond. On wavy days, I have spirals that make several complete circles. They seem to NEED the length...when my hair is short, it's straight...

What about misting, leave-ins, and other moisture treatments?

Oskimosa
December 17th, 2008, 12:48 PM

My hair does that too. I get flatness at the scalp and reduced wave without layers. And they do straighten out after I sleep on them once or twice. The first day after a wash is always the waviest.

Just think about all the differences it will make day in and day out. Think about how it will affect the updos you usually do. Think about who you might go to for the cut, and think about whether you will really benefit from it. If so, go for it.

MandaMom2Three
December 17th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Ug I HATE my layers! If I ever EVER even THINK of layers again, I wast all you LHCers to come tie me up and not let me out of the house until I come to my senses!! :D I've noticed for me my hair got CURLIER after hennaing, but I'm weird and my hair does everything opposite to what it's "supposed" to :rolleyes: . I would second (or third? lost track) the braid wave suggestion, I bunned my hair last night and my hair is so curly today I think I've lost a good 6 inches!!! LOL