PDA

View Full Version : When short haired people talk about long...

Little_Bird
March 25th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Isn't it stupid when short haired people start talking about long hair? And then you realize how they only have the theory and not the practic?

Stupid thing... today the subject came in my class and I almost jumped out of my chair? Why do all my classmates (who have wracked short hair) assumed that long hair has to be cut to stay strong and healthy? If you cut long hair then it's not long anymore... Geesh.
Sometimes I feel like giving a class about some hair fact... A classmate told me "if you research so much about hair you should know that it grows better and faster and stronger when you cut it"... I told her "it's exactly because I research so much on the hair topic that I know that your theory is wrong". And the subject ended... oh well...

It's just silly that all of them have short hair, and one of them who has longer hair once did a permanent straighting and almost went bald in the front... Wat am I supose to think of this... LOL

Anyways, I do need to buy proper S&D scissors. My hairdresser gave me more splits than I already had on my last trim so now I will be trying to even my hair myself...

Long hair: if you wanna know it, then grow it! :cool:

Sapphire'sWings
March 25th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Oh, yeah, people hear those theories all the time and they're hard to get rid of. Most people don't research hair beyond fashion magazines or what they hear people say.

Sure, a fresh cut might help your hair grow, if your hair is full of split ends and very damaged so it doesn't grow anymore, but really, the ends don't magically react after a cut to make the hair grow even faster.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense, but what is your word against that of the "authorities"?

AJoifulNoise
March 25th, 2008, 09:42 AM
It's the "well, you know what they say..." mentality. Who is "they?" The person speaking usually doesn't even remember. But, it must be true. It drives me buggy.

spidermom
March 25th, 2008, 10:05 AM
This is the truth: My hair grows much better and stays stronger with regular trims. I've discovered that if I stretch trims out to as much as every 4 months, the ends turn into a dried-out, split to pieces mess. The more I S&D them, the thinner and more fragile they become and the more they split.

Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean that somebody's opposing opinion is wrong. Be courteous, then do what is right for you.

unaspenser
March 25th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I agree, Little Bird. It drives me nuts when people think that doing something to the dead ends of your hair can have any impact on what comes out of your scalp. Yes, trims can help remove damage to prevent breakage so that hair can be healthy enough to get longer, but that's like saying cutting your fingernails will make them grow faster. I especially hate how people say shaving will cause coarser/thicker/faster-growing hair. What garbage.

AJoifulNoise
March 25th, 2008, 10:13 AM
This is the truth: My hair grows much better and stays stronger with regular trims. I've discovered that if I stretch trims out to as much as every 4 months, the ends turn into a dried-out, split to pieces mess. The more I S&D them, the thinner and more fragile they become and the more they split.

Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean that somebody's opposing opinion is wrong. Be courteous, then do what is right for you.

I agree that everyone's hair is different. It can just be bothersome when people assume that one thing works for everyone and anyone who opposes it is wrong . Some people need to trim. Some don't. Some find long hair easier. Some short. Whatever, just don't try to tell me what I have to do to make my hair nice when I think it looks good as it is.

But, then again, I haven't run into many of these circumstances (outside my own home) myself because I wear my hair up and I just don't mention it. Sometimes hair goes onto the list of unmentionables with politics and religion.

Jaime
March 25th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Long hair: if you wanna know it, then grow it! :cool:And you are definitely a living example of that! (that slogan would also make a great T-shirt :))

8) Jim

zift
March 25th, 2008, 10:45 AM

I have to agree with spidermom on this one. I've experienced both growing without trims(but doing only S&D meanwhile) and with trims. And I documented that my hair grew thicker and so much faster(!) with regular trims. Ofcourse this is only my experience but we see others too. Maybe that girl you talked to have heard lots of experiences like this, and wanted to share her opinion. A person doesn't have to experience everything to learn, you can discuss things from what you read and hear and ofcourse if you live it ,you can have more of an opinion of your own in this subject. Different factors include in this theory too and if she really searched and read about it and will stand behind her thoughts than we can respect her.
I don't think that I'm silly or stupid though and I've had long hair all my life and have very long hair now ,I've definately grown and experienced it and also read in searched in several places and now have the theory and the practic too and I think that trimming makes hair grow stronger and faster isn't bull-****.
It works for me OK?
ETA: And I understand and see it might not work for everyone but we can not just say this is the fact and it's true for everyone...
ETA: And I think that I might cut my hair short one day and I might get in a conversation with people about it and I'd be very offended if the other person claims my thoughts are worthless and stupid than because my hair is short. Because that would be a preference...

alys
March 25th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I dont know about trimming helping hair to grow. I get my hair trimmed once per quarter and it works out quite well for me. My hair has grown 6 inches since 8/07, and that length doesnt include whatever I've lost in the 2 trims I've had during that time frame.
I can say though, that until about 8 months ago I wore a pixie cut to chin-length bob for many years. And B***CH I may be, but certainly not stupid. Not even a close relative to stupid.
Everyone feels like their opinion matters, as they should, right?

spidermom
March 25th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Everyone feels like their opinion matters, as they should, right?

Absolutely. Well said, alys and zift.

Sarahmoon
March 25th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I think trimming won't make hair grow faster, but in many cases it will break less easy because the split ends are removed. Growing faster and getting long faster are not the same thing ;)
Also, by removing split ends and taper by cutting, the ends of your hair will look thicker. That doesn't mean the health of your entire hair is improved.

Little_Bird
March 25th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I think you guys are right when you say that it works in diferent ways for diferent people. What irritates me tough is that people create such general opinions, without knowing that it's possible to work in a diferent way for diferent people.

I didn't mean to offend anyone sorry if I did =P Actually one of my best friends cutted her hair short recently and I gave her my full suport and was happy that she feels so comfy now with her new hairstyle... It just saddens me that everyone around me is trying to convince me to cut my hair... come on, 4 inches, as my classmate suggested? I know it could be reasoable from a certain point of view, but most people don't even know that hair splits in several areas, and if you cut to the upper splits then you'll end up with like... short hair.

Anyways, all this ramblinb is all part of my dispair because my hair is not as long as I tought it would be by now actulaly ... waiting for so long is bad, but waiting while you have to listen to people trying to set you back on the process is worst.

Oh well... sorry for anything once again...

daeana
March 25th, 2008, 01:14 PM
i like when people say that long hair is "by definition" high maintenance.

you'd have to be seriously crazy to think that my hair care routine is "high maintenance". :silly:

Jae6
March 25th, 2008, 01:18 PM
it's ok little bird. as someone who was a former long-hair, then a short-hair, then now just being too poor to afford medium-hair, i was taken aback a little because you never know the history of the people who make these comments. at the same time i've definitely run into preachy people of all hair lengths, and even for awhile i had to take a break from this forum because the short-hair hate was getting too heavy for me. so i just chalk it up to "people suck" and roll with it. =)

favorite public comment for me is from people who've known me for years who tell me i should grow my hair long & wear it wavy again because it suits me best who 8-9 months ago told me i should keep my cute funky medium-length style because it was perfect for me. sheesh, make up your minds people! LOL

alys
March 25th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I learned the hard way, since I am very 'prone to debate', to turn decisive comments and possible arguments into strong, respectful 'debates'. When someone doesnt agree with me I challenge them to add factual evidence to their case, as I am busy digging my own facts. Then 'debate' about it, but without letting insults and anger in. If you are correct, and are a subject matter expert, than you win, sort of. But if you are wrong, as I am often enough, it's nice to be human enough to admit it.
Arguing can be fun when it's a safe subject, backed with facts and done with respect to each persons feelings and standpoint.
Thanks little bird for your most recent post :)
And Hi there to Spidermom!!

spidermom
March 25th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I must admit that I was offended by use of the word "stupid". But I'm not offended by you as a person, Little Bird. You are a very welcome part of the long hair community.

Euphony
March 25th, 2008, 01:40 PM
i like when people say that long hair is "by definition" high maintenance.

you'd have to be seriously crazy to think that my hair care routine is "high maintenance". :silly:
Oh yeah I love that! My hair is so much lower maintenance now than it was short! And I love people saying that you'd save a fortune in shampoo & conditioner. Ummm I use less shampoo now because I still only wash my scalp - always have, but I wash less often. And I use the same amount of conditioner since my hair is freaky and I need conditioner when it's short too. Short hair I use conditioner daily, but a small amount. Long hair I use a lot of conditioner once or twice a week. So it's a wash (pun intended).

Forever_Sophie
March 25th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I agree that everyone's hair is different. It can just be bothersome when people assume that one thing works for everyone and anyone who opposes it is wrong . Some people need to trim. Some don't. Some find long hair easier. Some short. Whatever, just don't try to tell me what I have to do to make my hair nice when I think it looks good as it is.

But, then again, I haven't run into many of these circumstances (outside my own home) myself because I wear my hair up and I just don't mention it. Sometimes hair goes onto the list of unmentionables with politics and religion.

And this mentality is exactly why I've started posting here. Days ago, on another board, I was treated like dirt by the know it alls...Straight out opposed and discredited b/c what works for me doesn't for them, or vice versa.

dancingbarefoot
March 25th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Has anyone ever submitted the "hair grows faster when cut regularly" idea to Mythbusters? Now THAT would be fun! :D

zift
March 25th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I think trimming won't make hair grow faster, but in many cases it will break less easy because the split ends are removed. Growing faster and getting long faster are not the same thing ;)
Also, by removing split ends and taper by cutting, the ends of your hair will look thicker. That doesn't mean the health of your entire hair is improved.

:lol:Ofcourse I meant getting length faster(though still not sure if it's growing faster or getting growth we might definately post it to mythbusters:P)
In my experience the first 1.5 years in LHC I totally got 15 cms of growth while I didn't trim but only S&D. Than I got a huge trim and started trimming regularly and the first year of that I got 19,5 cm growth and the second year 18,9cm growth. Uuum so I'm convinced that trimming makes my ends stronger and allows me to gain more length.

HairColoredHair
March 25th, 2008, 07:04 PM
My fav was when my (previous long-haired, or so she says) roommate's claim that it would take me so much less time to deal with if I cut it.

Er... Less than the, oh, minute I spend twisting it into a bun each morning?

Apparently I could roll out of bed and go!

(Though, she CAN roll out of bed and go, darn curlie! :lol: )

zift
March 25th, 2008, 07:06 PM
(Though, she CAN roll out of bed and go, darn curlie! :lol: )

They can hear you know:lol:

spidermom
March 25th, 2008, 07:10 PM
:lol:Ofcourse I meant getting length faster(though still not sure if it's growing faster or getting growth we might definately post it to mythbusters:P)
In my experience the first 1.5 years in LHC I totally got 15 cms of growth while I didn't trim but only S&D. Than I got a huge trim and started trimming regularly and the first year of that I got 19,5 cm growth and the second year 18,9cm growth. Uuum so I'm convinced that trimming makes my ends stronger and allows me to gain more length.

In practical terms, it doesn't matter whether you are gaining length faster because it is growing faster or because less of it is breaking off. Does it? The only group I can find who have done studies about hair growth is the sikhs (?spell). And of course they have a predetermined desired result.

tiny_teesha
March 25th, 2008, 07:15 PM
I agree, my aunty is like "Cut your hair to (APL) here" It will be thicker. Then i have to try to explain (and they hear the frustration) that i did that last year and it is the same thickness, i have to just wait for all the hairs to catch up not cut some to not grow longer for many months. (i cut 2 big cuts to make the ends thicken up but it proved wrong both times so now i only trim for hemn shape and to freshen ends not for thickness.

People are silly, they believe so many wives tales!!!

Nat242
March 25th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I know that I, personally, have gained length faster now that I haven't seen a hair dresser for probably over 6 months. I just S&D, and cut my own bangs, and leave it at that. My bangs, that get trimmed more often, don't grow faster than the rest of my hair.

That said, one of my sisters has not had a trim in a year, and she straightens frequently, has fine hair, and uses products like hair spray and combs and brushes her hair ruthlessly. Her hair has not gained much length, and next time she gets a trim, she'll have to lose a few inches. If she trimmed more regularly she'd have less damage and breakage overall, and would probably lose less hair to scissors that way. It would seem to "grow" faster, though the hair might not be coming out of the scalp faster.

One of the key points here at TLHC is that no routine, no technique, no product, no updo, will work equally well for everyone - it's about finding what works best for you, what is true for your hair, and what helps you achieve your individual goals.

-- Natalie