PDA

View Full Version : Super fine tangly men's hair

CindyLea1
December 15th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Well folks, my Hubby has deceided to grow his hair, again. He cycles between Mr. Clean and Fabio yearly!! He has super fine tangly hair, but right after a brushing it is super soft and gorgeous!

Right now, it is a super long mohawk. The sides get shaved up to make about a 4 inch strip. The long hair reaches just below his shoulders, but not quite to APL.

My questions are:

1) What is the best way for him to wear his hair to keep it from tangling so bad? Even in a single ponytail it gets matted. I tried to run a regular brush through it the other night after he got home and it was NASTY!!! He can only brush it in the shower with about a gallon of conditioner on it.

2) Is there a product, or something I can get him to put in it? Right now we use Tresseme moisture shampoo and conditioner, with Tresseme anti-breakage leave in spray.

Thanks in advance. You folks are always a wealth of knowledge.

CindyLea

Curlsgirl
December 15th, 2008, 07:20 PM
First of all, a ponytail doesn't keep tangles away very well as the whole length is still exposed. Would he wear a plain braid? Can't think of another way a man might wear his hair except maybe a banded ponytail where you place a plain neutral colored elastic about every inch or so down the ponytail.

As for detangling, it's okay to do it just in the shower but instead of a brush a wide tooth seamless comb should be used. If detangling when dry, he should be very gentle and start from the ends and work up slowly again with a wide tooth comb first before ever using a brush. A lot of people use Tresomme and like it so if he is having success with it no need to change. He could try some coconut oil leave-in, start with a little and add if needed. That would help protect the hair from the elements too.

Pierre
December 15th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Have you checked him for splits? After much friction, the scales on a hair curl up, split, or fall off. If they curl up, the hair catches other hairs and forms a tangle. If they fall off, the inside of the hair, which is a bundle of parallel fibers, has nothing to hold it together and it splits.

Instead of a brush, use a comb. Comb in the shower, with water running down the hair. When you find a tangle near the hair tips, cut it off.

How does he protect it while sleeping? I use a Buff; others use a satin or silk pillowcase. This makes a BIG difference in nape hair.

My hair is thicker on the sides, so I couldn't do a mohawk, so take my advice with a grain of salt (preferably Celtic or Himalayan).

CindyLea1
December 15th, 2008, 09:51 PM
First of all, a ponytail doesn't keep tangles away very well as the whole length is still exposed. Would he wear a plain braid? Can't think of another way a man might wear his hair except maybe a banded ponytail where you place a plain neutral colored elastic about every inch or so down the ponytail.

As for detangling, it's okay to do it just in the shower but instead of a brush a wide tooth seamless comb should be used. If detangling when dry, he should be very gentle and start from the ends and work up slowly again with a wide tooth comb first before ever using a brush. A lot of people use Tresomme and like it so if he is having success with it no need to change. He could try some coconut oil leave-in, start with a little and add if needed. That would help protect the hair from the elements too.

Excellent advice! I think I could get him to do these three styles. I would have to do the braid for him, he is not that coordinated! :p It would have to be a french braid to get the front tied down but he would wear it.

I just bought a bottle of Aussie 3 minute miracle stuff. It has coconut in it. He has used it a bit. I think it helps some.

He does use a wide tooth comb in the shower sometimes. I think he just gets irritated and starts yanking on it though.

I appreciate your words of wisdom.

CindyLea

CindyLea1
December 15th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Have you checked him for splits? After much friction, the scales on a hair curl up, split, or fall off. If they curl up, the hair catches other hairs and forms a tangle. If they fall off, the inside of the hair, which is a bundle of parallel fibers, has nothing to hold it together and it splits.

Instead of a brush, use a comb. Comb in the shower, with water running down the hair. When you find a tangle near the hair tips, cut it off.

How does he protect it while sleeping? I use a Buff; others use a satin or silk pillowcase. This makes a BIG difference in nape hair.

My hair is thicker on the sides, so I couldn't do a mohawk, so take my advice with a grain of salt (preferably Celtic or Himalayan).

Just combing is not an option. We have discussed that before. He is picky about the brush he has to have too. His technique could use a bit of work though! :)

He does not protect it while sleeping. I bought a sleep cap for myself a while back, he thought it was an good idea, just wouldn't wear the pink one. I bought him one in blue to try...It lasted 2 minutes literally! :poot: I might have to go to the pillow cases.

UP Lisa
December 16th, 2008, 09:13 AM
He will have to keep it contained somehow. Don't ever let it blow in the wind! Basically, don't let it get tangled in the first place.

CindyLea1
December 16th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Containment is the key, I believe. He is a truck driver, so it's wash it and put a hat on!! It rubs on the back of his seat all day, too. Do you think I could put a t-shirt, or maybe a pillow case over the headrest and top part of the seat to help?

CindyLea

Curlsgirl
December 16th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Containment is the key, I believe. He is a truck driver, so it's wash it and put a hat on!! It rubs on the back of his seat all day, too. Do you think I could put a t-shirt, or maybe a pillow case over the headrest and top part of the seat to help?

CindyLea

You can only advise him. It depends on how much he wants to have healthy long hair. I use a satin pillowcase over my headrest and yes it does help. If he gets impatient and refuses to use a comb you can't do anything about it. It will cause breakage and maybe hinder the ability to grow longer. You are sweet to care about him but you can only do so much ya know?

CindyLea1
December 16th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I agree with you about suggesting ideas. Ultimately, he is a grown man and can do as he pleases, with my approval. HEHE <-- jokeing.

But he sometimes listens to my suggestions. HEHEHE

OhioLisa
December 16th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Just out of curiosity, how often does he wash his hair? The products he is using might be too harsh for his fine hair. Also, doesn't Tresseme have cones? He could have some buildup going on. :shrug:

CindyLea1
December 19th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Please forgive my butting in. This is CindyLeas' husband Scott. I thought I'd make a comment here and let you gals (and guys) know how I manage my mane. I hope this is acceptable.....

I use Tressema(SP) shampoo and conditoner about every other day. Wash first, then condition. I use my fingers to detangle and then a wide tooth comb for a final detangle and spreading of the conditioner. Towl dry and spray in some leave in stuff. Two swipes with a brush to spread out the leave in and I am done. I work 14 hours a day so taking alot of time to work on my hair isn't real high on my list of things to do. OTOH, I want it to look decent if I'm not going to shave it off for a while. I preffer Bic razor bald. The wify likes the hair tho so it stays for now. I'm more concerned with my chin pelt and my cheek warmers than my top knot.

I do not brush throughout the day. I usually detangle with a brush when I get home. Like my bride said "I need work" LOL. I don't care for things on my head but I have to stick a hardhat on about 20 times a day. I tried the night cap but that was a no go. I tried the banded pony the other day but it was about the same result as a single wrapped pony.

I have fine soft hair and if I go more than two days without a shower it gets VERY greasy and I hate it. I never used to have a problem with split ends but it's longer than I've ever had it.

I see the wife can't attatch anything yet so I'll just send y'all over to my photobucket page. It's all kids and puppys and family friendly stuff like that so no worries about what else you might see. We just put pics up tonight of the wifes lovely locks and my own hair covered head.

http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee60/Scootterass/

Like I said it's kids and puppies and stuff.

Thanks for the help,
Scott