PDA

View Full Version : Hair loss?

HeavyHenry
December 15th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I can't be the only one who when brushing their hair looks at the amount of hair that has come lose and now cover the brush? Is it normal for the brush to be literally covered after brushing? And after my shower hair is like constantly coming lose I don't mean in large clumps but like a lot considering I brushed it before I went in the shower. Paranoia or justified worry? My hair is just after shoulder length. And how do you stop split ends occurring?

Flaxen
December 15th, 2008, 04:47 PM
The only way to know for sure is to count the hairs. 100 hairs shed a day is a normal average. Even 200 is normal, although on the high side. To help with splits, start with this article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=8). :smile:

backtolonghair
December 15th, 2008, 09:02 PM
You might be deficient in certain vitamins and amino acids... I would recommend a good B vitamin and a good multivitamin made from a whole food source... alot of vitamins on the market are made from things that aren't good. Check the labels and make sure they are coming from foods... if you have a Whole Food market in your area or natural supermarket they should carry these. God bless

Melisande
December 16th, 2008, 12:10 AM
I switched to a comb years ago, and it reduced my shedding remarkably. For some weeks now, I use a horn comb, and it's even better. I don't even own a brush any more. I feel that I lost more hair through brushing than natural and necessary. I lose by now c. 10 hairs while combing (one in the morning, once in the evening), and with single hairs shed over the day I lose no more than 30 hairs per day.

Updos, horn comb, essential oil massages and vitamins together have really helped me.

jera
December 16th, 2008, 02:01 AM
I agree with Melisande ditch the brush. It always causes more hair loss thn you'd get with a comb. :)

Loviatar
December 16th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Whereas 100-200 hairs is pretty normal, I dont like to feel I am losing so many. I comb with my fingers after a shower, and never brush or comb when my hair is wet. Wet hair is weaker and more prone to damage/splits. Before a shower I comb with a wide tooth comb to make sure the strands are not tangled. Also, I never brush dry hair without combing it first. That way my combing loosens the tangles and the brush can just add a little fullness and shine. Wide tooth is the important phrase for me when it comes to combs though. The gentler the better. I use a Kent or a Mason Pearson comb but others prefer ones made from horn, YMMV.

Also, what's your brush like, HeavyHenry? Would you mind describing it? The wrong brush can do a lot of damage to hair. I used a ball-tipped plastic paddle brush on my hair for years, no wonder it was damaged.

jojo
December 16th, 2008, 01:41 PM
I have to agree with ditch the brush, I use one from the body shop, cheap but effective!

HeavyHenry
December 17th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Eyes cross in horror at the idea of counting hairs :S
Hmmm I have recently given up using the brush as much and now use my fingers then when I get home brush it but the problem with that is shedding although finger combing does remove knots it doesn't catch lose hair.
As to the vitamin deficiency im on a vitamin supplement already :P
The kind of brush being a guy (yes im using the ignorance excuse) I dont know what kind but it has many points quite close together I was using one with less and more space bristles but it snagged so I changed to one with many teeth.

Thank you so much everyone for the advice :D

Sally2009
March 8th, 2009, 05:46 AM
I have learnt from speaking to many Moroccan, especially the men, that of you wash the hair in rhassoul clay, and always use a horn comb, you will promote the best hair growth. The men with lots of hair joke that their bald counterparts use chemical shampoos! Rhassoul clay, completely cleans and helps to nourish the hair folicles, and it is when the hair folicles die (from being blocked with sebum) that the hair drops out - and may not regrow. The horn combs, when used properly to comb the hair gently and to stimulate the scalp promote new healthy growth. [moderation: edited to remove commercial self-promotion]

brok3nwings
March 8th, 2009, 07:04 AM
everything has allready been said and i have to add, you have very beautiful and thick hair. I love the colour!