PDA

View Full Version : Rope Braid...The Right Way?

Islandgrrl
December 15th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I've just begun experimenting with Rope Braids, and I have to say, I am NOT having really good results. I'm pretty sure I'm doing something way wrong.

When you make your rope braid do you:

Start from a ponytail or not?
If you don't start from a ponytail, do you divide the hair side by side or top and bottom?

I just keep ending up with a weird lumpy, lopsided thing and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, other than just general uncoordination on my part!

florenonite
December 15th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I tend to do French rope braids, so no ponytail at the top. I divide it in half by sides, though, not top and bottom.

Islandgrrl
December 15th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I tend to do French rope braids, so no ponytail at the top. I divide it in half by sides, though, not top and bottom.

French rope braid? :run:

Sounds gorgeous - I think I can envision it, but it also sounds way, way more complicated than I can manage!

wolf girl
December 15th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I have issues with rope braids too. I can do them and make it look nice but securing the bottom is another. As soon as I put the hair tie at the bottom and let go. POOF! No more rope braid. It always comes unraveled.

Curlsgirl
December 15th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I can't do these either. I hope someone else has a miracle recipe :D I'll be eagerly watching.

Gumball
December 15th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I do it from a ponytail or just with my hair starting loose. I always divide it into two sections right down the middle. My dominant hand is my right hand so it's better at doing the twisting, so it's my backup while I do it. I twist a little with the strand on my right, and try my best with the left side one, but usually the right is more twisted. Then I cross them over how you usually would for a rope. That means the extra twisted bits are on the left now and the right side can be twisted with my dominant hand until it's a little extra twisted, too. That counteracts my left hand's inability to twist as well. Then I only have to use my left hand to twist just a bit as I cross over and I just work my way down. I hope you find a way that works for you! I have a rope braided bun as my avatar so it works for me!

ETA: I can only do a french rope on other people, but at least that got me to learn how to rope in opposite directions!

Jason
December 15th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Here's a link showing one being made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ3PSXPaINA

Phalaenopsis
December 15th, 2008, 01:26 PM
It doesn't matter how you divide the tail. I don't find to make a ponytail at first necessary. The trick is not wanting to twist too hard. Just let it go it's course. Twist a bit on both sides, and twist them one turn together. Twist a bit, twist both together... Just be gentle :)

Silver & Gold
December 15th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I found these instructions for the french rope braid (http://2good2lose.com/braid-frenchrope.shtml).

I tried it even though my hair isn't all that long yet and I still have some layers growing out but I had moderate success for a first attempt.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=317&pictureid=27096

I'm thinking it may not be as difficult as you think once you find the directions that speak to you.

arylkin
December 15th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I have issues with rope braids too. I can do them and make it look nice but securing the bottom is another. As soon as I put the hair tie at the bottom and let go. POOF! No more rope braid. It always comes unraveled.

Are you sure you're twisting it right (twisting the two strands one way and then winding them around each other the other way)? When secured at the bottom the tension of the hair wrapped in the different ways should make it stay (it shouldn't unravel).

This is an awesome rope braid how to video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImcPuruQMAw&feature=channel_page)

I think it's easier to start with a ponytail, but isn't necessary.

Heidi_234
December 15th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Hooray rope-braid topic! :cheer:
I'm actually doing it a little bit differently.
It is easier to start from a ponytail or wide banana clip, but doable as it is just the same.
I divide my hair in two, doesn't really matter it it's left-right or top bottom, unless you got layered hair, then you'll have to divide vertically so both part would be the same length.
I take one section and twist it all the way to the end. Then I hold it either in my left hand or even my mouth (with the lips! not the teeth), and twist the other section same direction (say clockwise).
Then I take one section each hand (yes they come loose, don't bother trying to keep them tight), and I shift the sections between both of my hands contra-clockwise, while twisting themselves clockwise to tighten them back. I make sure the twisting goes all the way up.
Then I finish off the rope and tie.
I hope my directions are clear! Tell me if they aren't.

Islandgrrl
December 15th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Oh, THANK YOU Arylkin & Jason for the video links!!! At least now I understand what I should be doing to make it work, and I do believe (although I'm not exactly sure how) that I have just completed a rope braid bun!!! :happydance: Woohoo!!!!

Now, I'll probably have to do it about 50 times before I can do it without looking at the vid. The bun part was easy. :)

S&G, gorgeous, no matter what the length!

WindowDressing
December 15th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Are you sure you're twisting it right (twisting the two strands one way and then winding them around each other the other way)? When secured at the bottom the tension of the hair wrapped in the different ways should make it stay (it shouldn't unravel).

This is an awesome rope braid how to video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImcPuruQMAw&feature=channel_page)

I think it's easier to start with a ponytail, but isn't necessary.

That does look easy!

But, yikes, doesn't she pull way too hard making the ponytail? Yeeeeouchy!

I will try the method though.

Thank you!

Hugs!
WD :)

Silver & Gold
December 15th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Hey all, if you were trying to click on the link for directions for the french rope braid that I posted earlier and got another view of my picture instead, go back and try it again. I just corrected my error and got the right link attached to the post.

Sorry about the mistake the first time. The instructions are quite good. I was able to make the braid in my picture just from reading it for the first time.

I'll include the link here (http://2good2lose.com/braid-frenchrope.shtml) as well in case you don't want to go back and find my original post.

heidihug
December 15th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I like ponytail rope braid buns a lot, but my problem is that I cannot rope braid from the top down - what I mean is, I cannot twist the two "rope strands" of hair and at the same time twist them together the other way to make the single "rope". I have to twist the two strands one way separately, then twist them together the other way afterwards.

The result is that most of the rope looks fine except for the very top 4 inches or so, which I can never get tight enough - it always ends up being a big poofy in the middle of my rope braid bun. Even if I twist and twist and twist it tight when I start each strand, and when I make the rope, AND when I make the bun. I think it is because I am trying to twist two quite long (38"+) hair strands together and keep the strands tightly twisted at the same time - it seems to just naturally slip looser and looser at the top of the pony.

If I had four hands, it would all work so much better :rolleyes:. And I can't ask anyone in the house to help me, DH and both DS's would bolt like rabbits if I approached them holding two twisted pieces of hair straight out from my head. Hee. That would be funny. Perhaps I'll try it just for giggles.

angelthadiva
December 15th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Hi, Izzy! :waving:

I find it easier to start w/a ponytail, but a French Braided Rope Braid is gorgeous! :)

Heidi_234
December 15th, 2008, 03:19 PM
That does look easy!

But, yikes, doesn't she pull way too hard making the ponytail? Yeeeeouchy!

I will try the method though.

Thank you!

Hugs!

She's got an amazing thick hair to pull.
She actually does it my way, and it is easy!

WindowDressing
December 15th, 2008, 03:21 PM
She's got an amazing thick hair to pull.
She actually does it my way, and it is easy!

Yes!! If I pulled mine like that it would rip right out. :o

Good Job, I might be able to do it this way!!

Hugs!

Nevermore
December 15th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I prefer to start from a ponytail, but I wear ponytails under all my buns anyway, so *shrugs* I divide right and left, twist the right hand side to the left and the left hand side to the right, put the right hand side under the left.

It comes out very...ropey XD I suggest doing it on wet or well-oiled hair if possible, it's harder than a three strand.

Oh, also, make sure you re-twist the individual sections before doing another cross over. Otherwise, you end up untwisting and that's just bad.

CaityBear
December 15th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Mine goes POOF too. I thought I was twisting them the right way...but I might have to try again tonight...maybe I'm just doing it wrong! lol

mellie
December 15th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Jason, that video was great!! Thanks so much for posting it!! I was totally going about it all wrong-no wonder it never worked, duh!!

florenonite
December 15th, 2008, 06:20 PM
French rope braid? :run:

Sounds gorgeous - I think I can envision it, but it also sounds way, way more complicated than I can manage!

Hehe. I only do French rope braids because my hair's not long/thin enough to do normal ones!

Peter
December 15th, 2008, 07:10 PM
After watching Jason's video I did a rope braid and it worked out great.

venividibxtchy
December 15th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Like others have mentioned, it's all about the way you twist them. Sometimes, I find it easier to do the following:
- Separate pony into two.
- Twist both strands to the right for about 3-4".
- Twist them around each other (to the left) once.
- Repeat until the end.

Somehow, the tension of a twist above it makes it a bit easier for me.

I just tried my first French-rope braid (I know, it's a tad messy):
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee242/venividibitchy/RopeFrench.jpg

sneakybea
December 16th, 2008, 12:47 AM
What a gorgeous french rope braid! I find this style difficult to do, mostly because I use the three strand technique, rather than two. I'll have to play around with your version and see if I can get the twists tighter that way!
For some reason, when I do a regular rope braid, I have to leave a rather long tassel, or else have wisps coming out all over the place. Anyone else have this problem?

beehives
December 16th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Like others have mentioned, it's all about the way you twist them. Sometimes, I find it easier to do the following:
- Repeat until the end.

Oh wow, I've never seen one before. That is absolutely gorgeous.

mellie
December 16th, 2008, 05:20 AM
I agree, that is beautiful!!

Um Enis
December 16th, 2008, 06:31 AM
I've never been able to do one and can't wait to try with the videos!

WindowDressing
December 16th, 2008, 06:36 AM
- Repeat until the end.

WOW!! That is fantastic, dear vvb!! Stunning! :cheese:

Hugs!

venividibxtchy
December 16th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Thank you all for the positive feedback.

I'm definitely going to wear my hair like this again.

Phalaenopsis
December 16th, 2008, 10:36 AM
That is a beautiful french rope braid!

Here's mine from some time ago:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/05_02_4.jpg

Wish I had your length, venividibxtchy!

missmanytoes
December 16th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I found these instructions for the french rope braid (http://2good2lose.com/braid-frenchrope.shtml).

I tried it even though my hair isn't all that long yet and I still have some layers growing out but I had moderate success for a first attempt.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=317&pictureid=27096

I'm thinking it may not be as difficult as you think once you find the directions that speak to you.

ooooohhh....so pretty! You did a great job!