PDA

View Full Version : Please help, more than half my hair fell out

julia941
March 25th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I joined LHC a long time ago to get care and styling tips and learn about some awesome hair toys that my hair didn't break the first time I used them. My hair was bra-strap length, had some gentle waves to it, and very thick. Every hairdresser I ever saw, beginning as a child, commented on how thick it was. If I gathered it all into a ponytail it was almost the size of my wrist (at least the size of a JFK silver dollar). Now it's barely the size of a quarter.

This fall I was diagnosed with a condition that has been treated with hormone therapy and my hair has been falling out by handfulls ever since. The texture has changed, too. What used to be smooth and thick with lots of body is thin and dry and frizzy. I have also had four deaths in the last seven months of people close to me and some people have suggested it is a stress reaction that happens about 2-3 months after the stressor. I seem to be getting some new growth (about 2 - 3 inches so far) but it is darker than my "old" hair and has a lot of grey in it (I'm 39).

I've been taking suppliments I've seen recommended here, and using CO washing, but I still have to add a leave in conditioner because it's become so crunchy. I haven't had a perm since the 80's, btw. I've had it cut twice to get some of the horrible, dry, split ends off, so now it's about three or four inches above my bra strap.

I'm seriously considering taking it up above my shoulders or even shorter to get all of this dead, dry, medication hair off and starting over, but the thought of cutting it off makes me cry. I don't see any way to salvage the stringy dry long part, but I welcome any suggestions.

Thank you,

Julia

Raederle
March 25th, 2008, 08:31 AM
With everything in your life, it's no wonder your hair is taking a hit. I'm so sorry to hear of the major stress you've been subjected to, and hope you find peace and ease somehow.

Only you know how much you're willing to do or put up with. I know I'd try some treatments before I'd go the route of a major cut. It's possible you might need to clarify your hair. Moisture treatments might help, as well as just putting your hair up.

I know that your hair requires good nutrition and hydration to stay healthy. Regular exercise, if you're able to do so, might also help reduce stress and boost circulation.

I'm sure somebody far more knowledgeable will be along with some excellent advice, but in the meantime, you certainly have my positive energy flowing your way.

heidihug
March 25th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Julia, I'm so sorry to hear about your health problems and the deaths of your loved ones. This must be so stressful for you, it's no wonder it's manifesting itself in your body.

I have never had to deal with severe health problems, but many years ago I was on antibiotics for months at a time, and I noticed I had a lot of hair loss. I have thin fine hair anyway, and I was so upset. I did get it cut to shoulder length and it grew back very nicely, though with lots of gray. I began to color my hair myself, and I found that it actually improved my hair's texture - much softer and shinier. I would perhaps consult with a stylist experienced with dealing with hair issues like yours before coloring, though, to make sure the hormones won't be an issue. It sounds like you are taking the right course with some trimming of the bad ends. And take comfort in knowing that your supplements and eating right, etc., will help your hair grow back faster and healthier.

Mary <><
March 25th, 2008, 08:46 AM
(((((((((julia941))))))))) I have nothing to offer in the way of advice for your hair, but I just wanted to say that I am sorry about all of the losses you have suffered. Four people in 7 months is just devastating. No wonder you are having so many problems with your health. Take care of yourself, and know that you are in my thoughts.

aisling
March 25th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I'm sorry to hear about all your problems, I'm sure it has all affected your hair. Not all might be related to stress and sickness. A thing that popped into my mind is how you describe your hair as dry and crunchy and stringy and then also tell you're a CO washer and use leave in.

There is a possibility you have build up, you don't have to use cone products get build up, I usually describe my ends as "velcro hair" when I have a bad case of build up. The good thing is that it's easy to cure and something you could start out with. Just get a clarifying shampoo and wash all your hair with it, from root to tip, then follow up with a deep treatment or a nice long conditioner soak for the good of your ends. You can also use baking soda for clarifying but I'm not good at giving advice on that. This would be an easy and pretty fast thing to try to see if those dry ends will change. It would be a shame to cut off all that hair without trying to clarify first and see if it changes anything.

Good luck to you!

Morag
March 25th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Wow, Julia, what a year you've had! Losing my brother and my son within two months of each other a few years ago felt like almost more than I could take, but four people in seven months! It's difficult to imagine. I know my hair would be coming out by handfuls under similar circumstances.

I hope you have the opportunity to handle yourself with kid gloves for a while. Get plenty of rest, eat well, do what makes you happy as much as possible, instead of all those things we all feel we "have" to do every day. In short, treat yourself with the same consideration you would show anyone else who is going through all this.

Give yourself some time to recover, and I'm sure your hair will recover right along with you.

:blossom:

julia941
March 25th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Thanks so much everyone. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to get the thread off to a grim start by mentioning death. I really think it is the meds. I feel sort of guilty for whining about losing some of my hair and the fact that it feels dry, thin, and crispy when I still have a lot of it. It's not like I've gone bald from chemo and radiation or some other condition.

I'm going to try using some clarifying shampoo and research the baking soda method that was mentioned.

I still have dry, crumbly split ends that need to be trimmed. How much and how often is a good idea?

Thanks again,

Julia

CaraLynn
March 25th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I don't have any advice, just (((((((hugs))))))) and hopes that all works out well for ya!

spidermom
March 25th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I'm so sorry to hear what a tough time you've been going through. It sounds like your hair is really the least of your troubles. Please take good care of yourself and your health first. Your hair will follow. Until then, treat it kindly and put it up. Don't make any major decisions until your life and feelings level out.

unaspenser
March 25th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Wow, Julia. Sounds like things have been really rough for you. I'm sorry for your loss and your recent health issues. I have been trimming 1/4" off of my hair each month to get rid of about six inches of damaged ends. I also trimmed some layers into the last few inches of my hair since the canopy is my main problem area. Maybe regular trims would be a good way to start. I'd also suggest coconut oil (studies show it helps prevent protein loss in hair) and kimberlily's defrizz spray. Sounds like you're already quite gentle with your hair. Do you wear it up often? It's good to keep those ends protected and avoid tangles and sun damage.

tiny_teesha
March 25th, 2008, 08:02 PM
If i were in your shoes and i wanted it all off i would maintain at the shortest length i felt comfortable in- whether that is sholder length or a chin bob -what ever you are comfortable with. Then i once it looked better i would start to grow it out- trims only when necessary.

If you look at photos of my hair-in which the ends are REALLY thin- you will probably not feel so bad about your hair. I mean if your hair was as thick as you say it was im sure it is not too bad now.

jojo
March 25th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I am so sorry you are experiencing this, i can only echo the other excellent advice you have been given already but hope this is soon a thing of the past for you. xx