PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on best place to start?

Shadow
December 15th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping to ask for some opionions/advice. First let me give you some backround to my question... It's been a busy year for me so I hadn't really noticed when my "pob" started to grow out and within 6 months had hit just above my shoulders. Seeing that I'd managed to grow it out a bit without trying I figured that I'd go all out and grow it to BSL, a length I've been coveting for some time but have never had the patience or strength of will to achieve. Of course,as my luck would have it, the second I made the desicion to grow it I started to experience hairloss /shedding on a massive scale which my GP thinks was just due to stress. I've lost about a quarter of my hair in about 3 months. The fallout is slowing down now (at least, I think it is) so I'm trying to use this as an opportunity to clean-up my bad hair habits and do some proper research and try to grow it out again (with the help of LHC of course) as healthily and as quickly as possible.

I was wondering what everyone's opinion on the best place for me to start out would be in regards to length. Should I cut my, now rather thin and sparse but not too bad, shoulder length hair or should I cut it back to 'Pob' in the theory that my hair would probably look a bit better shorter now that it's thinner and start growing it from there even though it would take another 6 months to get it down to my shoulders again?

Any adivce or comments from you all or from anyone who has experienced something similar and had to decide between lengths would be appriciated.

Thank you.

Apologies if this has been asked before, I've looked for a similar question but cant find one.

Laila23
December 15th, 2008, 09:46 AM
If your goal length is bra strap length, have you thought of just keep on growing with the hair you have now and once you reach bra strep length, slowly trim and maintain that length until you have your desired thickness? A lot of people are doing this here and I really feel that this is a good way to keep your length! :) Good luck

Peggy E.
December 15th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Personally, I would allow it to continue growing and make a decision once I reached the desired length. You're not shooting for the floor, or anything, so it shouldn't take that much time to reach this goal.

I just love it when I get the opportunity to demonstrate my total ignorance to a large number of people, and you've supplied it for today: What is a "Pob?"! "Pixie Off Balance?" "Poorly Orchestrated Bob?"!

Shadow
December 15th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Sorry, I forgot that 'Pob' is a bit of a U.K-ism. :D

A Pob is the short name for the bobbed style that Victoria Beckham was sporting before her Pixie cut (Pob=Posh Bob).

Eg: http://www.hotinhollywood.tv/photos/uncategorized/2007/12/02/posh.jpg

spidermom
December 15th, 2008, 10:50 AM
At your stage of growth, I'd get a small trim (about 1/2 inch) about every 3 months to keep the ends on the thicker side and allow some of the shorter, newer hairs to catch up.

Spike
December 15th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Ditto, ditto. Keep the length for now, especially since you're going for a reasonable length (not floor-dragging fantasy hair) and because you've never had long hair before. Trimming a little each month will keep the ends looking better and the overall shape nicer while still letting you see progress.

I totally get the desire to chop it all off after the massive shed. Is there any way for you to put it up and forget about it for a while?

ChloeDharma
December 15th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I agree with the not cutting idea. If you keep your ends blunt it will help give the impression of thickness, so little trims, up to half an inch every 3 months or so until you reach your goal length is what i'd advise. Don't forget, you know your hair has thinned, but most people wont and thin hair at length can still look lovely. You can then maintain at BS until the new growth has caught up.

Ryanne
December 15th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I agree with a small trim around every 3 months, that might make your ends look healthier.

Elenna
December 15th, 2008, 04:32 PM
There are several LHC threads on shedding problems.

A modest hair goal is doable when hair is not behaving.

Islandgrrl
December 15th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I'd go along with the "Start Where You Are" thought. Trim a little every 3 or 4 months so you'll see a change in length and still begin to thicken up those ends. You'll be at BSL in no time!

Shadow
December 17th, 2008, 03:19 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. Have decided to keep the length and soldier through the thinning!

You guys are the best! :)