PDA

View Full Version : Oiling before clarifying?

MandaMom2Three
December 15th, 2008, 07:14 AM
My hair needs clarifying about every 2 weeks, I know it's time because my hair turns into a velcroey brilloey mess :p. However shampoo is really rough on my hair, it feels so stripped and dry (I do an SMT immediatly after to combat this). I was thinking a nice heavy oiling before shampooing would be great, however sinceI only shampoo when I clarify, (CO rest of the time) I was wondering if the oiling would interfere with the clarifying. My concerns would be 1) That since I need to clarify because of build up, would the build up prevent the oil from doing it's job? and 2) If I then have a head full of build up AND oil, would the clarifying take care of both? I use a 2 lather process so I'm thinking it will but wanted to be sure.

annys
December 15th, 2008, 07:22 AM
I am interested in this also.

Anje
December 15th, 2008, 02:47 PM
My initial impression is that I wouldn't do it, but you're clarifying an awful lot.

I don't see any reason why you can't try it and find out. Report how it goes.

MandaMom2Three
December 15th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Well I just clarified today, so I wont have to do it again for another 2 weeks or so, but I might just try it next time!

Cinnamon Hair
December 15th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Yes, before a shampoo is the perfect time for a good heavy oiling. Clairfying shampoo will remove the oil, as will regular shampoo, especially if you do two washings. I like to put oil on my hair the night before I plan to shampoo. It gives the oil time to soak in and work its magic and it also gives the hair an added layer of defense against the shampoo.

I agree with Anje, clarifying every two weeks is a lot. In fact, it may even be contributing to the dried out / brillo pad state of your hair. Clarifying strips everything, good and bad, including the natural sebum produced by your scalp to help moisturize the hair. Once a month should really be enough. Clarifying more ofen then that is just going to cause mechanical damage and eat away at the hair shaft. Perhaps you could use a regular shampoo focusing on the scalp only, and just letting the suds run down the length to clean it instead of clarifying so often.

Speckla
December 15th, 2008, 06:54 PM
CWC works great. The first will penetrate the hair and keep the shampoo from stripping out too much moisture and then second will seal the moisture back in.
________
248 F1 (http://www.ferrari-wiki.com/wiki/Ferrari_248_F1)

Kirin
December 15th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I use a clarifying shampoo (V05 kiwi lime) about once every three days..... hair's never been better actually. In my opinion its no worse than any other sls shampoo, and since i have mineralized water it seems to take care of the ruddy buildup on my hair by CO alone.

I oil before shampooing and before Co'ing.

MandaMom2Three
December 15th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I originally planned on clarifying once a month, but from what I gathered here you know you need to clarify when your hair stops responding normally and starts going haywire, that seems to be it as when I clarify it all goes back to normal, and it's not the scalp area it's the length. After about 2 weeks it goes from smooth to velcro, no matter what I put on it it gets sticky and gunked up. After a clarifying it all goes back to normal. Would a gentler shampoo still remove build up? Maybe if I used it once a week. I just hate shampooing more often than I HAVE to because my hair always goes bonkers no matter what shampoo I use it seems.

Good grief, if my hair hates shampoo so much I wish it would let me get away with no cones at least so I wouldn't NEED to shampoo so often :p. I was thinking CWC, but it's definitely the HAIR that needs the shampoo, not my scalp (shampoo makes my scalp itch). I think I'll try a weekly mild shampoo and see if that will allow me to space out the clarifying (plus then I can oil before washing without worrying about terminal build up :D . Aussie conditioners are really good, would Aussie shampoo be gentle enough?

Darkhorse1
December 15th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I do this--take a look at my photos. :)

I have naturally oily scalp and I find my ends don't get that oil. So, I oil with olive oil when my ends start to feel crunchy.

Routine:
wet hair (since oil locks in moisture). Apply oil to length. Smooth in (careful not to add too much or it's really hard to wash out). Wait. I don't leave it in too long, but that's a personal choice. I then do a double washing with a clarifying shampoo. I make sure to really focus on the ends because the last two times I've done this, I've missed spots and the ends get really stringy/greasy looking. Then I do a long rinse, cool water rinse and I do a conditioner. I also have a spray on detangler since I work outdoors/in the elements.

Feel free to read my blog of my oilings. Fun stuff ;)

Darkhorse1
December 15th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Just wanted to add I use a clarifying shampoo all the time. I shampoo every other day and use Herbal Essence Degunkify. It's a mild clarifying shampoo and gets all the barn dirt/oil/grease from my hair. I don't wash the length though--just the scalp and let the rest run down.

I think clarifying also depends on your hair type/lifestyle. Anything else doesn't clean my hair--I just used John Frieda's brilliant brunette as I just had my hair colored, and my hair is already oily at the scalp. I won't wash until tomorrow as I have a lesson tomorrow and my hair will get mega sweaty/gross.

MandaMom2Three
December 15th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I was actually planning on trying HE Degunkify! Right now I use Avalon organics and while it's from the health store it feels really harsh to my hair! My experiences with HE have been all positive or neutral (well there was ONE negative, their leave in for long hair! Instant velcro!) so I thought I'd give it a try. LOL I think the motivation to finally get my license will be the desire to buy things for my hair :D