PDA

View Full Version : Can you have a drastic hair texture change in your twenties?

Phalaenopsis
December 15th, 2008, 04:37 AM
I know you can have a huge hairchange in your puberty. A friend of mine had stick straight hair and when she hit 14 she suddenly had 3b curls.
I have stick straight dark blonde hair. But I'm starting to find more of those black, coarse wavy hairs. My dad had curls and he also had light hair when he was young which turned really dark.
Since the rest of my body hair is very dark and black. I just started to wonder if my hair would change within a few years.

Has anyone else had this? Did your hair suddenly change in your twenties? Excluding chemo, birth control pills and such.

Just curious :flower:

Speckla
December 15th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Yes, you can due to shifting hormones in your 20s. It's very common.
________
STELLA (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Subaru_Stella)

Wouter
December 15th, 2008, 05:04 AM
I know you can have a huge hairchange in your puberty. A friend of mine had stick straight hair and when she hit 14 she suddenly had 3b curls.
I have stick straight dark blonde hair. But I'm starting to find more of those black, coarse wavy hairs. My dad had curls and he also had light hair when he was young which turned really dark.
Since the rest of my body hair is very dark and black. I just started to wonder if my hair would change within a few years.

Has anyone else had this? Did your hair suddenly change in your twenties? Excluding chemo, birth control pills and such.

Just curious :flower:

You and me are going through the EXACT same thing. Only i'm 19 but thats a minor detail i guess

flapjack
December 15th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Totally normal, don't even worry about it.

Loviatar
December 15th, 2008, 05:34 AM
I have always had the fine 'strands of silk' description of texture, with maybe a few medium 'strand of cotton' hairs thrown in more recently (the last 3 years or so, which I put down to coming off BC).

Now, however, I am finding coarse hairs - and not just a few of them, either. Weird. And I am almost 30. Oh, and they're not greys. I've not seen a grey yet, and I'm looking at my roots for them ;)

Phalaenopsis
December 15th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Is it that normal? Going from stick straight to curly?

It's like everyone knows about it except me :(

jojo
December 15th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I and both my daughters were born with curly hair which went straighter by about the age of 6, when I turned 14 my hair went very curly, as did both my daughters. My dad tells me this was the case with him too! So yes hair can change texture, its hormonal.

mira-chan
December 15th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Mine changed from medium to coarse and is growing in wavier. I had a huge shed to go along with it a couple of years ago too.

Phalaenopsis
December 15th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Huge shed shudder:But that's what I've been having for over a year...

mira-chan
December 15th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Huge shed shudder:But that's what I've been having for over a year...
That's what I had, lost half an inch in ponytail circumference. It's all growing back now and I'm waiting for the new growth to get to the ends now. It's edging towards waist now.

Darkhorse1
December 15th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Yep. I noticed my hair got coarser and thicker as I aged. Not sure if had anything to do with hormone shift (not due to pregnancy, or the pill, just aging) or the changes your hair goes through. By my 30s, my hair was drying in ringlets to waves, but as a kid, I never really got spirals--I got wavy hair when I air dried, but never actual curls. Now I do.

My hair dresser said as we age, the hairs get coarser as our grey hairs will be thicker and wirer, therefore, perhaps we get more curl??? Who knows.

Phalaenopsis
December 15th, 2008, 11:50 AM
That's what I had, lost half an inch in ponytail circumference. It's all growing back now and I'm waiting for the new growth to get to the ends now. It's edging towards waist now.

Oh my god, I have the exact same thing! I went from 11 centimetres to 9 centimetres (almost an inch in thickness)
how long did it last? Should my shedding stop around this time? it's been going on for a year already

mira-chan
December 15th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Oh my god, I have the exact same thing! I went from 11 centimetres to 9 centimetres (almost an inch in thickness)
how long did it last? Should my shedding stop around this time? it's been going on for a year already
My shed began around my 20th birthday (summer) and ended at the end of the Autumn after my 21st birthday. So it was around 15 months of shed. Now I just have the yearly autumn shed for a month or so in October.

NebraskaChick84
December 15th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I didn't have a drastic hair change, my hair got REALLY thick when I was pregnant with my oldest, I shed after I had him (a LOT) but my hair stayed pretty thick. it's still really thick now.

Phalaenopsis
December 15th, 2008, 01:30 PM
My shed began around my 20th birthday (summer) and ended at the end of the Autumn after my 21st birthday. So it was around 15 months of shed. Now I just have the yearly autumn shed for a month or so in October.

Hmm, so when it's spring, I hope it's over for me too.

beehives
December 16th, 2008, 01:18 AM
It would be nice if my hair saw a textural change in the coming years, but sadly, I'm not banking on it.

Ho-hum, back to wishing for waves.

Celticfreefall
December 16th, 2008, 03:00 AM
My hair has changed color, texture, etc. like a mood ring. But I've been on some pretty extreme medication due to my lack of an immune system, so, I'm pretty sure that has a lot to do with it beyond the usual hormone changes.

Arctic
December 16th, 2008, 03:38 AM

Have you been to doctor? I would suggest that since you've shed so long, it can be some nutritional deficiency for example.

I had a huge shed in my early twenties, when it grew back I went from stick straight to wavy, but as the new growth got longer it got straight again. After I joined here in LHC my straight hair went wavy again and has been that way. I have also much more M hairs than I used to did, my hair was baby fine and thin, now it medium thickness. I also have a lot of coarser hairs there too (not greys).

I must say I was perplexed when I got waves after joining here and it has taken quite a lot of time to get used to them, but I do like my "new" hair :D

Phalaenopsis
December 16th, 2008, 07:53 AM
I went to the doctor's and my dephiciency should be fine now (I had zinc shortage).
But my hair is still falling out... I had such thick hair for a fine-haired one :(

OhioLisa
December 16th, 2008, 09:02 AM
My hair changed both color and texture. I am loving the difference. :D

Hella
December 16th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I experienced a huge period of shedding last autumn. Truly felt like half of my hair fell out during a time of about five months. Afterwards my hair has felt a bit different due to to the fact that a part of my hair has has grown back as M's instead of the previous F's.

I had read about the 20s' shed on LHC, and still were hit by it like I had never heard of such possibility..

Phalaenopsis
December 16th, 2008, 11:14 AM
My hair changed both color and texture. I am loving the difference. :D

How did it change?

I'm doubting. I love the shine of my fine, blondish hair. But dark, waves/curls could be cool too. It's just, I'm used to thís type of hair (aka straight)

Henitsirk
December 26th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Seems like hair does change in various ways over time. As a girl I had light blond hair, which got gradually darker each year until it became dark brown! During my twenties I also began finding those coarse dark hairs you described, but now not so much -- now it's gray hairs :-) My hair has never changed from being totally straight though, so you're ahead of me there!