PDA

View Full Version : Getting knotted so easily

ilovelonghair
March 25th, 2008, 06:11 AM
I wonder if it's normal for hair to go knotty very easily. It's like you comb and 30 minutes later it's a big mess.

HeatherAngela
March 25th, 2008, 06:52 AM
When I wear mine down and it gets blown around in the wind or I move around a lot (like run or something) it does. It untangles pretty easily with some finger-combing though.

Curlsgirl
March 25th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Mine only started to do this recently. When it was BSL it wasn't that bad and alll of the sudden as I am gaining a little more length it's been worse. I like coconut oil to help finger comb between washes and I also use a wooden comb or very wide tooth plastic comb before washing. I used to only comb in the shower but I found I was getting breakage by leaving tangles in between that since I only wash 2 times a week usually. It seems like the finer the hair is the worse it tangles. I have medium hair so I guess I am in between. A satin pillowcase really helps a lot as well as updos especially when it's windy like March.

lora410
March 25th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Mine was from cones, and since I stopped I have no more knotted ends. You may just need to claify your ends though with some baking soda water or paste.

Kelsey
March 25th, 2008, 07:23 AM
To reduce knots, what works really well is to use conditioner, then rinse. Using a comb is a good idea for wet hair.

MemSahib
March 25th, 2008, 07:27 AM
My fine hair tangles easily. Comb, sit around, tangle. But oddly, I can sleep with it down and draped over a satin pillow and have few tangles to comb out in the morning. I don't understand it, but it's consistent.

tiny_teesha
March 25th, 2008, 08:09 PM
try putting some coconut oil in it, then even if it knotts up a finger comb makes it untangle so easily. Coconut oil is the bomb!

ilovelonghair
March 27th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Finger combing leaves it stringy, unless I do it like a maniac. My hair is changing since I'm on here, so maybe I just have to wait a bit more to see if my hair improves.

Stagecoach
March 27th, 2008, 08:47 AM
If I wear my hair down for any length of time longer than 10-15 mnutes it starts getting tangled.

For me, nothing seems to help, I've tried cone and cone-free, oil, butters, clarifying, WO, CO, CWC, SC--- you name it, nothing has ever affected this problem! I blame it on my slighly wavy hair that just loves to move around on it's own!

Cichelle
March 27th, 2008, 12:12 PM
My hair is the most tangly/knotted hair ever. I swear, I can detangle it and fifteen minutes later it is tangled again. This has started to happen more as my hair gets longer. I know it's a least partly due to having very curly, fine hair. I love my hair, but the tangles get me exasperated at times. This is one reason I cannot go long in between washing, since I only detangle during washing/cowashing. If I brush, comb or even finger comb in between washes my hair goes super big east-west and then tangles like crazy. My best bet is to wash and then put it up in a damp bun or other updo...then leave it alone. I try never to go longer than three days between washing/detangling if I don't want a rat's to contend with.

Phalaenopsis
March 27th, 2008, 02:02 PM
My hair is also a tangle mess. When the doctor wanted to check how many hairs were falling out, he ran his fingers through my hair and couldn't get that far... His comment: 'oh my god, you have such tangly hair'
I felt like a bum, like someone who nevers combs her hair or something :o

xrosiex
March 27th, 2008, 02:25 PM
try putting some coconut oil in it, then even if it knotts up a finger comb makes it untangle so easily. Coconut oil is the bomb!
I agree coconut oil will make it easier. I love coconut oil!!!

catfish
March 27th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I have very knotty hair, even 5 min. after a combing it starts to tangle up. I keep it nice by wearing it up, combing frequently, and using cone free, gentle organic whenever possible products.:Dcatfish

squiggyflop
March 27th, 2008, 06:55 PM
my hair is tangly all the time... its always been that way but ive noticed that cones help me

coppercurls
March 27th, 2008, 07:13 PM
My hair is the most tangly/knotted hair ever. I swear, I can detangle it and fifteen minutes later it is tangled again. This has started to happen more as my hair gets longer. I know it's a least partly due to having very curly, fine hair. I love my hair, but the tangles get me exasperated at times. This is one reason I cannot go long in between washing, since I only detangle during washing/cowashing. If I brush, comb or even finger comb in between washes my hair goes super big east-west and then tangles like crazy. My best bet is to wash and then put it up in a damp bun or other updo...then leave it alone. I try never to go longer than three days between washing/detangling if I don't want a rat's to contend with.

Yep, same here. :DWe have almost the same hair type. I try to detangle at least every couple of days. Even if I don't wash, I will wet my hair and use some leave in or coconut oil & detangle. If not I have a HUGE rat's nest going on that will take forever to detangle. I braid alot to avoid tangles also.

kwaniesiam
March 27th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Not much advice, I'm sorry, but I wish my hair was more tangly. Would help with my locking process and all....so everyone send me your tangles ;)

tigerlily
March 28th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Not much advice, I'm sorry, but I wish my hair was more tangly. Would help with my locking process and all....so everyone send me your tangles ;)

I wonder if that would work? Lol. Like selling warts!

If thats the case you can have mine for :twocents: :)

addikted
March 28th, 2008, 05:06 AM
I find that my hair gets knotted when I don't put a leave in after a wash. It could be a cone product or an oil. But they are not major knots or tangles, a quick finger comb through and they are gone.

Anlbe
March 28th, 2008, 05:31 AM
My hair used to tangle so badly, literally: put the comb down+ turn head = knots
I could carefully comb my hair, put it up and when it came down in the evening magically there were the knots. I lived with a permanent birds nest at the nape of my neck.

It was a combination of things that stopped my hair behaving like this, if I stop any of them I notice a difference

1. Accept I have very dry hair and use appropriate shampoos and conditioners.
2. No brush, only comb
3. Silk pillowcase - but not a satin one, anything like that causes me major static.
4. Jojoba oil, just a tiny bit from nape of the neck down most mornings.
5. No elastics, clips or scrunches. Only pins, sticks and lycra bands.
6. No layers
7. Minimum of five days between washes unless I've done a major amounts of sports, try to get to at least a week the majority of the time.

I know it sounds like alot of stuff but now I only have to comb my hair once a day and it only takes a couple of minutes not a minimum of half an hour so it's worth it for me and none of it takes that much time or effort.

One last thing - for me a very overpriced conditioner makes the world of difference. I don't like to plug it because of the price but it was the last bit of my tangly puzzle and did make a big difference (although a £1.29 conditioner comes in a strong second), so if you ever feel you've got some extra money to treat yourself I do recommend Aveda Damage Remedy Treatment.

MoonCreature
March 28th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I used to have tonns of tangles, but during the last 2-3 weeks I haven't had a single one! What caused this I can't be sure of, because I changed a lot on a short time... I went of cones, CO two washes out of three (and when I shampoo I always drain the hair in conditioner afterwards), I've oiled the ends on a regular basis and I've started wearing the hair in an updo daily. But it can't be just the work of having an updo daily, because I can sleep with my hair open without getting tangles, that wasn't possible before.

kwaniesiam
March 28th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I wonder if that would work? Lol. Like selling warts!

If thats the case you can have mine for :twocents: :)

Deal :D

Before what helped me keep from getting tangly if I did was use a coconut oil and aloe mist, similar to Kimberlily's recipe.

Sarahmoon
March 28th, 2008, 04:07 PM
When I wear mine down and it gets blown around in the wind or I move around a lot (like run or something) it does. It untangles pretty easily with some finger-combing though.

Same for me *sigh* and I know this girl who always has her hair down, washes every day, blowdries, and it just looks like she just combed it. Not fair!

praia98
March 28th, 2008, 05:15 PM
My hair used to be super tangly. I used to finish combing and an instant later there were tangles. I never could run my fingers through my hair. Then I joined LHC :)

Soo much better now :) I use sulfate- free shampoo and CO or CWC washes. I use cone- free conditioners. I After washing I use aloe gel and a light coating of jojoba and coconut oil mix especially on the nape where I tangled a lot previously. Previous styling products would make my hair sticky or stiff and tangle. I sleep with my hair in braids and on a satin pillow, or if wet draped over the pillow. I wear my hair up or in a braid if I'm exercising or cleaning. I never brushed before but now I also use a better comb than I did before.

Nynaeve
March 28th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I've had a MAJOR problem with knots lately, and those knots have caused a whole lot of broken and split hairs.
At the moment, I'm attributing it to a) the wonky weather going from hot to col and humid and back and b) improper care.

willowcandra
March 30th, 2008, 02:03 AM
If I leave my hair loose it tangles so badly that I nearly always cause damage combing it out. So I wear mine up all the time, I can't even wear a full length pony. I think it's becausue my ends are so thin. If I do want my hair loose I have to have braid waves or lots of cone serum! Cones are the only thing that keep me tangle free-ish.

sapphire-o
March 30th, 2008, 02:41 AM
My DH's hair is like that. I can never run my fingers through it. The thing is tangle-free hair isn't really all it's cracked up to be. My hair hardly tangles, but it looks just as frizzy and messy as DH's. Nobody can tell by the looks that I actually have smooth slippery hair. :) And nobody would ever know I don't have tangles and he has dozens.