PDA

View Full Version : Cones killed my waves!

manderly
December 14th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I never realized this. I've been staying at my parents' house and switched to COing with Pantene's Great Lengths instead of my usual CV bars.

Surprise, surprise, my waves and wurls have vanished! I'm left with fairly straightish/slight waves and a bit of poof (my coconut oil doesn't work quite as well over cones). I must admit though, that the slip and lessening of tangles has been really nice :)

I can't wait to get back into the swing of things with my CV bars. I miss my waves and wurls!

I just wanted to throw this out there to the cone users, who may be looking for more curl in their hair to give cone-free a try for a few months and see what develops :)

spidermom
December 14th, 2008, 05:08 PM
A change in climate can do this, too. I went to visit my DD in Italy one year, and my hair was completely stick-straight over there, even on rainy days. Around here on rainy days, my hair curls up like 2C/3A.

NurseMama
December 14th, 2008, 05:20 PM
A change in climate can do this, too. I went to visit my DD in Italy one year, and my hair was completely stick-straight over there, even on rainy days. Around here on rainy days, my hair curls up like 2C/3A.

That is so true for me as well! When visiting New Orleans or anywhere along the gulf all the way to Florida my hair turns into spirals. Once, I am back in a less humid climate it goes back to frizzy waves. It sucks! I love the spirals!

spidermom
December 14th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Thought I should add that I took my usual products with me.

Sissy
December 14th, 2008, 05:33 PM
drat... I want to be cone free but I also want straight hair. I just tried using CV bars but if they're going to encourage waves then I don't want any part of them. I hate my hair wavy :mad:

spidermom
December 14th, 2008, 05:50 PM
drat... I want to be cone free but I also want straight hair. I just tried using CV bars but if they're going to encourage waves then I don't want any part of them. I hate my hair wavy :mad:

Didn't you see the poll that showed the majority of men prefer to see women with long and wavy hair? (not that you should do what men prefer; just wondered)

Elainehali
December 14th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I kinda figured this too!

If I go to sleep with my stick-straight hair wet, then the next morning I have some odd kinks and end frizzies.

My two minute solution is kids detangling spra which takes all ripples out.

Elphie
December 14th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I've yet to detect a pattern with mine; some days it's wavy and other days it's stick straight. I don't vary my products so I chalk it up to weather and the weird hair gods whims.

spidermom
December 14th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Interestingly, I used a coney conditioner this afternoon (I usually don't), and I've got more spirals than I've had in a good long while.

MandaMom2Three
December 14th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I've tried several times to go no cones, just doesn't work for me. Hair ends us dull, frizzy and dry :(

teela1978
December 14th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I find that it depends on the 'cone. The cyclo ones straighten me out (but I like that these days) whereas amodimethicone and some others let my frizzies show through :)

Faepirate
December 14th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Manderly cones do the same thing for my hair. I have much less wave when I'm in a coney routine - I'm left with a kind of "bleh" half-wave, it looks like it sort of tried to curl and then gave up. Cone-free gives much better definition for my 2c hair, but I have to condition LOTS or I get frizz! There are advantages and disadvantages to both, for me. I prefer cone-free though. :)

manderly
December 14th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Spidermom, I forgot to mention I'm in the exact same climate. My parents only live about 14 miles from me :)

Faepirate, that's exactly what it looks like...hair that attempted to wave/curl, gave up, and poofed a bit ;)

spidermom
December 14th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Spidermom, I forgot to mention I'm in the exact same climate. My parents only live about 14 miles from me :)

Faepirate, that's exactly what it looks like...hair that attempted to wave/curl, gave up, and poofed a bit ;)

Thanks for coming back with that clarification.

Loviatar
December 15th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Manderly, I lose all the little wave I have when I use cones. I find they're good for days when I want very tidy, sleek hair. But if I want any volume or wave I have to go coneless!

Curlsgirl
December 15th, 2008, 06:52 AM
I do think it has to do with the kind of cones. I hardly ever use them just because I have to wash my hair more often when I do and I do have a bit less curl. Winter weather being dryer gives me a bit less curl too than in humid summer weather.

Tangles
December 15th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Cones sometimes define my wave, actually. It depends on the exact product I use and how I let my hair dry. I feel like cones make my hair more malleable, while coneless, my hair is a more consistent texture.

Tangles
December 15th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I find that it depends on the 'cone. The cyclo ones straighten me out (but I like that these days) whereas amodimethicone and some others let my frizzies show through :)

Really? This is interesting--I'm always looking for heat-free ways to get straighter hair when in the mood for it :)

mjm4
December 15th, 2008, 01:59 PM
i tried the V05 deep moisturising shampoo and conditioner once, only once, and immediately whilst washing it into my hair i noticed that it makes lumps and lumps of them fall... so it's strictly CO for me :) my hair must be very anticone...

teela1978
December 15th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Really? This is interesting--I'm always looking for heat-free ways to get straighter hair when in the mood for it :)

Every head of hair is different, but for mine anything with cyclopentasiloxane (sp? the stuff in pantene, herbal essences) makes my hair bone straight (as in my avatar :)). Results may vary though.

kimberlily
December 15th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I have the opposite experience. I'm wavier with cones than without. Though without cones I just get poof, so maybe the waves are there but I can't see them :p

paper
December 15th, 2008, 05:08 PM
My hair is straighter when I use coney S and or C. I noticed this recently when I ran out of my good Conditioner. I've been using up some of my old stuff.

Arctic_Mama
December 15th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Cones generally kill my waves as well, I have noticed this myself over the years. The lighter cones aren't bad, but waxy Pantene? I get gross, straight hair with weird volume poof - nothing remarkable or pretty. My color-damaged ends may be slightly more apparent without cones, but overall my hair does indeed look better so that is my preference!

boomygrrl
December 16th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I think it has to do with the type of cone, as well. Also, I think build up could be an issue. Pantene builds up like crazy in my hair. Build up is just adding layers of cone, which can weigh down curls.
I find amodimethicone works well with my curls. I haven't studied enough with other cones to say they are curl-friendly or not. I take that back...cyclopentasiloxane is not curl friendly for me. Other than that, not sure.

teela1978
December 16th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I think it has to do with the type of cone, as well. Also, I think build up could be an issue. Pantene builds up like crazy in my hair. Build up is just adding layers of cone, which can weigh down curls.
I find amodimethicone works well with my curls. I haven't studied enough with other cones to say they are curl-friendly or not. I take that back...cyclopentasiloxane is not curl friendly for me. Other than that, not sure.

That is my exact observation. Although, the products I've used with amodimethicone usually have it far down the list, whereas cyclopentasiloxane products have it right after water. Not sure if it's an ingredient or concentration issue :)

RavennaNight
December 16th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Didn't you see the poll that showed the majority of men prefer to see women with long and wavy hair? (not that you should do what men prefer; just wondered)

Really? :eyebrows: I will have to poll the DH!

Katze
December 17th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Same thing happens with me - 'cones killed my waves. I do occasionally use them if I am really frustrated with my hair, and since my hair's going straighter now anyway it's not that big a deal, but definitely non-coney deep moisture gives me MUCH wavier hair than with 'cones.

Oh, and 'cones also make my scalp get itchier, faster.

Sissy
December 19th, 2008, 08:24 PM

yer, I saw it... I just love my hair straight :)
maybe someday I'll learn to love the "wave"

OhioLisa
December 20th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Cones also take out ALL my wave. That's probably why I thought myself a straightie for so many years. They also make my scalp look oily a lot faster, thus needing to wash more often. In other words, no cones for me AT ALL. :)

EvaSimone
December 20th, 2008, 03:06 AM
Yep cones completely kill my wave... I go from 2a to 1b. If I am feeling ambitious I'll find a picture of my cone hair.

Also cones leave my hair feeling coated and plasticky but I'll admit that the slip it gives me is wonderful.

winter_star
December 20th, 2008, 05:03 AM
I can kiss waves goodbye when I use cones. It's not always a bad thing, it makes my hair sleek, straight and looking much longer than usual.

plainjanegirl
December 20th, 2008, 06:46 AM
So then really to figure out what kind of hair type you have you would have to wash with a non cone?