PDA

View Full Version : Such lovely curls, but the tangles!!!

prosperina
December 14th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I almost always brush or comb out my curls, but I haven't lately. Come to think of it I think I've miscategorized my hair... I must be a 2c. My hair curls rather tightly when it first dries then relaxes to big loose curls on its own. This is really new, as in the past year or so. Anyway, I could be anywhere from a 2a 2b or a 2c...depending upon the part of hair

On to the question. If I don't comb out my hair much, I get big pretty curls; I like this. I almost never wear my hair down and if I do I brush or really comb out the curls... This may be bad since I've had a lot of shedding lately, but I've usually had a lot of shedding, so I don't know. Anyhow, I've gotten loads of compliments, lately (since I have been wearing it down) and my hair is full and pretty, so this is good. I've had to stop myself from telling the truth: that is I've done nothing to it! I already deal with a few mildly unpleasant coworkers (okay, just one thank goodness) so I'll just say thank you and smile instead of going into details, even if people ask. And just for the record, this person isn't unpleasant about hair, but about everything. I don't feel bad about it; she just makes herself look petty and other people notice it. Anyhow, I deserve this because I've had some really awful looking hair not too long ago.

So the curls, are nice but what to do with the tangles? I have some parts that are nearly matted at the nape and some big tangles througout. My hair really looks good with minimal touching and arranging. I can get away with the slightly messy look, but I don't want frizz. I think my hair is totally different than I thought it was. Definitely really different than it was say 4-5 years ago when I graduated from college. My sister got natural corkscrew curls when she hit about twenty five, and her hair used to be wavy or straight--we're not sure since she always got perms. I guess even though I've been at LHC for a while, I don't really know what my natural hair is...

Excuse the long windness, but my questions are:
What to do with current tangles? Should I put condish in dry hair and work it through or just wash it?

How do I avoid tangles but not comb out curl? I'm so confused! Everything was great and my hair seems to have changed overnight!

Speckla
December 14th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I finger detangle while bathing. I put lotsa and lotsa of conditioner and then work a section at a time. This helps greatly with the tangles. I only comb once a week with a seamless widetooth comb and it's not too bad if I leave-in some conditioner and work a section at a time from the bottom up.
________
Vaporite solo vaporizer (http://www.vaporshop.com/solo-vaporizer.html)

Boots
December 14th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Detangle under the shower. Use conditioner and a detangling comb to work the knots out. Then you can still let it dry without touching it. Good luck!

prosperina
December 14th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Thanks! Guess I need another comb then. Mine is horn...

darkwaves
December 14th, 2008, 12:16 PM
My hair tangles into matts around the nape of my neck, too, when I wear it down. Delightful, isn't it???

If I've put product on my hair after washing -- especially gel of any kind -- I can't/won't comb it till the next wash because the gel locks the tangles onto massive snarls, and snap, snap, snap goes my hair.

So I only comb when it's dry (as opposed to when it's full of conditioner in the shower) on the second or third day post-wash, and then only if I haven't used gel or anything to keep my hair from frizzing.

I'd love to know how to avoid tangles, while wearing it down! That's why I wear it up most of the time.

If your hair has turned curly, you might want to read the Curly Girl (Massey) for suggestions. For example, the author suggests lightly misting to bring back curl in the morning, and never combing...

(The idea of "never combing" does not work for me! The matts just build, day after day after day. At some point, I need to comb it through.)

Ryanne
December 14th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I fingercomb when my hair is dry, and detangle mostly under the shower with a seamless comb and then fingercombing.

salamander
December 14th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I have a horn comb, too. What I do is comb my hair before I get in the shower, then wash and dry it carefully so that it doesn't tangle up. As long as I keep my hair moisturized, it works beautifully!

goodenough
December 14th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I don't have curly hair--but it is tangly. I detangle with the Tangle Teezer in the shower--and it is so fast!! There's a thread about the tangle teezer in the conventional hair products section.

Curlsgirl
December 14th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I also detangle in the shower with lots of conditioner on it. Occasionally I will finger comb and then use my wood or horn comb if I go a while between washes and then put it up because after I do that it is too frizzy to wear down.

Lamb
December 14th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I developed this problem in the summer, when my hair became (almost) shoulder length. I had no idea it was so common, so I concluded it was damage and signed up for a major trim, then decided if my hair was as tangly as that perhaps I shouldn't grow it out at all... :rolleyes: Anyway, I have since discovered that not only do I have to use lots and lots of conditioner, but also a leave-in, every time I get my hair wet.
I heartily recommend the Giovanni leave-in, it is very light and for me, it makes dry-detangling very easy. I usually fingercomb only when my hair is dry.

coppercurls
December 14th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I finger detangle while bathing. I put lotsa and lotsa of conditioner and then work a section at a time. This helps greatly with the tangles. I only comb once a week with a seamless widetooth comb and it's not too bad if I leave-in some conditioner and work a section at a time from the bottom up.

That's how I do it too. I leave lots of conditioner in also. During the week I may spritz to revive curls if needed.

Haith
December 14th, 2008, 06:02 PM
My hair is very tangly. I used to fight it all the time, but now I just let it do whatever it wants. However, my curls/waves are looser than yours, and I don't develop mats, so I find its ok for me to just let my hair be. I pretty much only fingercomb, and I have less frizz and breakage than I used to from trying to keep it orderly.

prosperina
December 14th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks everyone! Loads of conditionner it is. What leave ins do you suggest? Someone suggested Giovanni? That's the brand, but does it have a more specific name?

Pierre
December 14th, 2008, 08:02 PM
My leave-in is simple: it's jojoba oil, with some eos for scent. I comb in the shower, but without adding conditioner. If I find a tangle that is within the last centimeter of every hair involved, I snip it off. If there's more than that, I try to pull it apart so that innocent bystanders that got entangled don't get needlessly snipped.

What works for me on the nape hair:
*Oil it first. Else all the oil goes on the side hair, and the nape hairs stick to each other with sebum. I just figured that out.
*Snip tangles by feel, unless the hairs are long enough to see.
*Sleep in a Buff, with the hair piled on top of the head.

Lamb
December 14th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks everyone! Loads of conditionner it is. What leave ins do you suggest? Someone suggested Giovanni? That's the brand, but does it have a more specific name?

It's called Giovanni Direct Leave-in ("walking treatment" is also on the bottle).
Here is a thread on it at NC:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=53504

ETA: it works only on wet hair for me. And a little goes a long way! :flower:

prosperina
December 15th, 2008, 01:45 PM
It's called Giovanni Direct Leave-in ("walking treatment" is also on the bottle).
Here is a thread on it at NC:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=53504

ETA: it works only on wet hair for me. And a little goes a long way! :flower:

Thanks, Lamb. I've been wanting to check that out.

Pierre, jojoba alone just doesn't seem to always work, but I think I'll invest in a buff to sleep in--that's a good idea.