PDA

View Full Version : APL Blues

longingforlocks
December 14th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I absolutely abhor this stage!!! I have been growing out my hair since February when I went in for a "trim" and my stylist got carried away and lopped of 10+ inches of my longer-than-BSL hair. Anyway, it's finally APL, and I still feel that it's extremely short. I'm not exactly sure where BSL would lay in the front, but I like my hair to be "boob-length". I still can't get over how short it is 10 months after it was cut.

Does anyone else agree that APL is an awkward stage because it's past shoulder-lenth but not to the next real "mile marker"? :D

BlackfootHair
December 14th, 2008, 07:06 AM
For me, I was almost at APL before my bleaching fiasco, and that was the longest it had been on me since freshmen year of high school...so if I was at APL right now, I'd feel like I had some pretty long locks going on! :)

But I can understand. I feel like my hair has been at chin-ish length forever...even though I have proof it's growing.....

Arctic
December 14th, 2008, 07:34 AM
I don't hate or dislike APL and for me it actually is long because my hair is longest it has ever been, but I also am feeling a bit of an APL blues, because I've been at this length for so long and I want it to grow.

But I can't really complain, the reason I've been "stalling" is my own fault and doing: I started to experiment with more regular trims last summer (once every 3 months) even though my old rhythm was working very well for me (once every six months or so). I'm a bit scissor happy and it seems an impossible task for me to trim only half centimeter, it always ended up to be more. So I gained practically nothing in several months and only in October-November got past the length it had been in July! LOL! Now I've learned my lession and stick with a trimming schedule that works and lets me gain length with my slowly growing hair :)

It will grow, we'll just have to give it the time it needs and pamper our hair :inlove:

Dreamernz
December 14th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I totally sympathise and I probs won't be a hundred percent happy with my hair until its reached the BSL marker, it will, but the waiting is pure torture!!!

suicides_eve
December 14th, 2008, 07:57 AM
coming from a pixie i am pretty damn happy that i have reached APL. I mean bsl/ elbow length is were i hope to be soon but i'll pop the champagne to this half way point:p

paper
December 14th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I can't wait to hit APL. I feel like I've been at shoulder length forever!

AJO8
December 14th, 2008, 08:35 AM
I feel like I've been at APL for months and months, its just not moving.

Phalaenopsis
December 14th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I hated APL, it took such a long time to get at BSL.
At APL, my hair wasn't short, but it didn't feel long either and that was so frustrating.

Speckla
December 14th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I felt like Rapunzal when I hit APL and then I started eyeballing BSL and APL felt too short. It sounds like you've made good process so far. Just think about how much longer your hair will be in Feb '09.
________
Monarch (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Mercury_Monarch)

rosieposie
December 14th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I totally agree. APL is not great. Dont misundertand me, Im really pleased that Ive reached it (and am on my way past....yay!), but I feel my hair is at the "gawky teenager" stage around APL. I cant wait until its all grown up.....or down....oh, you know what I mean :confused: Hip length here I come :cheese:

Boots
December 14th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I understand. I have outgrown peacock twists and the looped pony, yet I don't have enough for a lot of "big girl" updos. I have layers and so braids look terribly anemic right now. I have to find ways to hide my ends. I can't wait to be past this stage.

Addy
December 14th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I can't help but feel sick of APL. I'm eagerly awaiting BSL and it can't come fast enough.

I had decided to grow my hair out in May of 07 after wearing a short spike and letting it grow in. My hair was almost BSL when I mistakenly walked into a salon and asked that my layers be freshened up and the bitch lopped off all my hair and left me with a tail that I had to cut off. My shortest layer came to the tip of my ears and I couldn't even get it in a ponytail! :rant: <yes, I'm still mad at her after all this time!!> My hair has grown but it's been a nightmare. I have to not think of how long it could be if I'd of never walked into the salon. It's just devistating what stylist can get away with so I know your pain all too well!

My bangs, if you wanna call them that <one length> are finally 13 inches and just past my collar bone a bit. It has been a long 16 months to get where I am but I'm getting there. I have just about cut all my layers off but for a very few.

I hope by the end of summer, I can claim a new goal!:cool:

Speckla
December 14th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I'd be angry and cry too if someone cut my long hair off.

I've had that happen too many times. My shoulder length once ended up looking like a Christmas tree when I was for long layers. :mad:
________
NEVADA MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES (http://nevada.dispensaries.org/)

longingforlocks
December 14th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I know that it's different for each person, but from people who have reached BSL, is the journey from APL about a year long? (with average rate growth)

DecafJane
December 14th, 2008, 03:16 PM
That was the theory that Jojo's thread came up with earlier - one year between each major goal. :)

I am almost at APL and am enjoying the length, as I have grown here from an ultra-short pixie. That said, it would be nice to finally be able to do some of the buns that I see here. I hope to reach BSL sometime in 2009. Fingers crossed!

chrissy-b
December 14th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I'm almost to APL. It is taking forever. I know I won't really be happy with my hair until I reach BSL so I'm trying my best to just ignore it.

spidermom
December 14th, 2008, 05:49 PM
It's all a matter of perspective, I guess. If somebody lopped my hair off at APL right now, it would feel incredibly short, I am sure. I'm really sorry to hear this happened to you. However, when I was at APL in 2005, I declared myself to have long hair and was really happy about it.

kam984420
December 14th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Since im only a few weeks longer than a buzzcut, it will probably take me a couple of years just to get APL.

GibsonGirlV
December 14th, 2008, 11:24 PM
That is exactly the reason I'm always so paranoid to go to the salon!

I'm at APL myself and though It's not an ideal length, I highly prefer it to shoulder length or anything between shoulder and APL. It's just the perfect length right now to do a lot of vintage (40's and 50's) styles so that makes me happy. Plus the fact that my hair is finally long-ish again is making me gleeful.

I've had a pretty traumatic hair past (two years ago my waist-length hair started breaking off in chunks at ear level because of stress and trauma I was dealing with at the time. I eventually had to chop it off at chin length and continue to battle breakage. I'm on a mission to get it back to health and regain the length I lost), so right now I'm just celebrating the fact that my hair is beginning to act and look like its old self again.

Juneii
December 14th, 2008, 11:43 PM
no kidding, I'm at just below BSL right now and it's so annoying because it feels like forever.