PDA

View Full Version : Tug your fairytale ends

sapphire-o
March 25th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Just for fun: tug your longest bits and feel where the roots are located on your head.

I tugged mine and they all seem to come from the back of my head, not the part closest to my neck, but the area between the ears. I wonder if that means the other parts have shorter terminal length and don't make it to the end, or grow more slowly and thus shorter? Anyway, tell me where your longest hairs come from and maybe we can come up with some theories. :)

ChloeDharma
March 25th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Thats about the same place my longest part grows from, though maybe slightly above there, but that kind of region. It's had me a bit worried actually that the rest wont catch up.

ilovelonghair
March 25th, 2008, 03:44 AM
My fairytale ends have been chopped off recently, but I have tried this and mine are all from the top of my head! My hair is thicker on top and thinner at the back. But that is changing slowly.

Raederle
March 25th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Longest bits are from top of head, about where a part would be, if I wore my hair parted.

Curlsgirl
March 25th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Mine are from the crown of my head also.

birdiefu
March 25th, 2008, 08:06 AM
My longest bits come from the back of my head just below where the curve of the skull goes furthest out, but not at the nape. However, I still have a lot of layers I haven't caught up to with trimming. Many of them were done all along the back of my head where hairs sprout from higher up.

AJoifulNoise
March 25th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Right smack in the middle, between my ears. Interesting.

rainkloud
March 25th, 2008, 10:33 AM
same here....pretty much right in the middle...i also have a crazy cowlick there which i fight everytime i want pigtails..

Sidani
March 25th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Mine is mostly just above the ear area with some in the ear area, as well. This is interesting... I would have expected it to have been lower.

spidermom
March 25th, 2008, 10:45 AM
When I recently cut bad ends, I noticed that my longest hairs came from slightly behind and above my left ear. Which is weird to me because in the past I have noted that my hair tends to grow faster on the right side. Every time I think I have my hair figured out, it changes.

redcelticcurls
March 25th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Mine are from right between and also right above the ears.

I knew mine wouldn't be my nape hairs, those are my most difficult ones.

Xanthippe
March 25th, 2008, 10:59 AM
My longest hairs are all from right around my crown area. Interesting!

Unnamed
March 25th, 2008, 10:59 AM
My current very longest hairs are all from the top/back side of the top of my head (pretty much 2-3" straight up from my ears, I think further forward than the crown). Or, assuming that's the hairs I followed up a bit form the ends so I could tug on 'em!

A few days ago I actually fiddled to see about the same thing (minus finding out where the very longest hairs are) and I discovered that the hair on the 'top' is all of the longest ends--and a good 3" or so longer than the underside hairs.

That actually matches up to my dye line: In October, I think the hair above the dye line on the top was about 3" longer than the hair above the dye line in the under hairs. The underside grows slower.

addikted
March 25th, 2008, 06:32 PM
My longest hairs are from my crown, what an interesting thread.

tiny_teesha
March 25th, 2008, 07:16 PM
to the left of my crown (if veiwed from the back)
My right side is a lot thinner and shorter!

freznow
March 25th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Between the ears, for me. How interesting!

Xandergrammy
March 25th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I'm going to try to remember to do this tomorrow morning when my hair is loose. Interesting thread.

OhioLisa
March 25th, 2008, 07:24 PM
My longest are from the crown. My kids' hair seems to grow fastest from the crown as well. Interesting indeed.

heidihug
March 25th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I couldn't wait to get home today to take my hair down to do this. Then I found that my hair is almost too long to tug on the ends - wow, I hadn't realized. Anyway, my longest is the hair between my ears, but just below the bump on the back of my head. Which is a surprise to me, as this is the hair which has always been a problem for me, breakage-wise. It's finally all pretty healthy, I guess! Yay!

Gutterfayrie
March 25th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Mine pulls at the back of the head, between the ears but not to the nape

Lisa-Maria
March 26th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Mine come from the back of my head, wierd.

Angellen
March 26th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Gah. Computer ate my post.

Mine come from the edge when my skull tapers inward, which ends up about mid-ear length.

MoonCreature
March 26th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Mine come from the back of my head, just betwean the ears. I'm not surprized at all, the hair at the nape is actually the most damaged for me. I used to keep my hair down a lot or in a half up, when the nape-hair was expoased, and it really shows in the amount of split ends.

Alaia
March 26th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Smack bang in the middle of the back of my head. But then, none of the rest of my hair is that much shorter, on average. I think that particular lock was longer because of the bun curl pattern I have at the moment. Will have to airdry without the bun to see a more controlled experiment.

Xandergrammy
March 26th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Mine are crown too!

jel
March 26th, 2008, 09:26 AM
This is very interesting - mine are also from the middle of the back of my head. I was sure the longest bits would be from the nape, because I started growing from a heavily layered cut 2.5 years ago.

Guenever
March 26th, 2008, 09:46 AM
If you follow the "line" of where my front hair line is to the back of my head - that's the spot! Or: Around 10" down if I measure it the LHC-way..
- If you catch my drift :P

Anybody knows what the difference is between having the longest hairs from your crown or your nape?

Meli
March 26th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Very interesting! I don't have fairytale ends at the moment, but when I did have them I noticed the same thing as many others have. My longest hairs came from between my ears and not from my crown. My theory then was that I was at terminal, and if all terminal length hairs had about the same individual length, those which grew from the crown wouldn't reach as far down as those further down on the head.

Now I have realized that I was most likely not at terminal, because my ends were all split and broken. According to my haircare back then, I'm pretty sure that if any hairs would have grown just a wee bit longer, they would be the first to get stuck between my butt and the mattress and get ripped off (I slept with my hair loose - VERY bad idea)...

My new theory is that the hairs at the crown and nape are more exposed to wear and tear than the hairs at the "between ears-area", and thus may be shorter because of damage/breakage. But it would of course depend on hairtype and haircare. Does this make sense?

truepeacenik
March 27th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Just for fun: tug your longest bits and feel where the roots are located on your head.

I tugged mine and they all seem to come from the back of my head, not the part closest to my neck, but the area between the ears. I wonder if that means the other parts have shorter terminal length and don't make it to the end, or grow more slowly and thus shorter? Anyway, tell me where your longest hairs come from and maybe we can come up with some theories. :)

same zone, mid layers of the hair.

Now, I have a damaged underlayer and it is a couple inches shorter than the rest.
while I am being extra nice to the roots of the last three inches on my head, the zone for the longest hair is the only area where I've never had poo bar build up or other weirdness.