PDA

View Full Version : Dandruff and Hair Loss

DiyaC
December 13th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Hi,

This happens every year around this time - my scalp becomes itchy and flaky and I start shedding more than usual. Are there any remedies for dandruff? Is there anything I can do to control the shedding? I 've only just recovered from a severe bout of shedding and my hair is starting to regain thickness. I don't want to go through the trauma of a shed once again and I'd like to stop it at the earliest. Please help me.

suicides_eve
December 13th, 2008, 07:56 PM
i'm kinda battling the same thing, acv seems to help keep the flakes at bay but the shedding is still scary

Beloved
December 13th, 2008, 08:13 PM
suicides_eve: i am dealing with some flakes too. how much acv do you use and how much do you dilute it? also, do you rinse it off right away or leave it in for the day like with MN?

DiyaC
December 13th, 2008, 08:26 PM
suicides_eve,

Do you think that ACV helps? I've tried it in the past and it didn't make any difference to me. Is your dandruff problem seasonal, like mine?

Longlove
December 14th, 2008, 12:42 AM
I asked my dermatologist about this last week. I complained to her that I'm thinning at the front of my hairline, which is also the only place where my scalp is flakey.

She said that people like me, who have seborrheic dermatitis, often experience thinning in their flakey areas. So now I'm concentrating primarily on curing the S.D.

Heidi_234
December 14th, 2008, 03:19 AM
Can I offer something rather weird (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=720) for the dandruff? :)
From what I understand, if the shedding is seasonal, then it's natural and suppose to happen. Few years ago, around that same period you had lots of baby hairs, and now their time had come. If you think it's a reaction to the change of seasons, try to adjust your hair care routine accordingly. Also, if you're up to it, henna root touch-ups could make your roots stronger (when I had horrible shedding I was advised to do root touch-ups every week to fight it).
Also, you might want to check out this thread, about EOs for hair loss (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001&highlight=essential+oils+hair+loss).
There are also commercial treatments for hair loss, I've tried two of them but I can't say they worked for me. I got now much less shedding than I had when I used those. :flower:

suicides_eve
December 14th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I have always had probbelms with a dry scalp. At times it can be moist itch and kinda weeps (ok tmi!) I was using Monistat as it was helping for a majority of the time but i have gotten lazy..

I was at the dr the tother day and brought up my concerns about the dry scalp an massive shedding ( it can be nearly a half cup full some times) He belived i might have a thyroid probblem, they were hugkly enlarged but all regular blood test came back fine- i am awaiting the next batch of test at the moment

as for ACV i actually stayred using it when i had head lice as a young girl. my dad has always use it for his dandruff.

i take a bout 2 cups and heat it up in th emicrowave, i then apply full strength to hair and wrap with a shower cap and a towle. It burns like a %#^*# at first but then subsides. the flake sn aevery thing are gone. it really works

suicides_eve
December 14th, 2008, 05:21 PM
blah here are some tit bits i found on it simalar to what i do

Dandruff

A home remedy for dandruff is to mix 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar with 1/4 cup water. The vinegar solution is thought to restore the restore the pH balance of the scalp and discourage the overgrowth of malassezia furfur, the yeast-like fungus thought to trigger dandruff.

The vinegar mixture is usually poured into a spray bottle and spritzed on the hair and scalp, avoiding the eye and ear area. A towel is then wrapped around the head and left on 15 minutes to an hour. After that, the vinegar can be washed from the hair. Alternative practitioners often recommend it once to twice a week for dandruff.

CaityBear
December 14th, 2008, 05:41 PM
To help with the itchiness you can use ACV. I've found that it helps me and it helps my mom.

I'm not sure if maybe a dry scalp would have something to do with it because everybody knows your hair/scalp/skin gets dry in winter. Maybe try doing oil treatments for your scalp once a week?

getoffmyskittle
December 14th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Coconut oil helps, as it's anti-fungal. In my experience, it also helps to dissolve the layer of crud (sebum + dead skin) that can accumulate on the scalp.

Katze
December 15th, 2008, 02:12 AM
ACV helps my SD, and more natural care in general has helped with SD and hair loss. Honey is also nice; it is antibacterial and soothing.

I had serious thin patches at my temples, but they are slowly going away as I focus on eating better (i.e. seriously limiting sugar intake, more whole grains, more veggies, organic dairy).

Elichan
December 15th, 2008, 04:19 AM
mmm... what is ACV? :o