PDA

View Full Version : Roots vs Ends

BlndeInDisguise
December 13th, 2008, 08:24 AM
How do your ends compare to your "roots" (or the hair that's on your head--not sure what to call it :o:p) colorwise? My ends look bright red compared to my roots which look dark brown when compared to my roots. ;)

I never noticed the difference until I was putting my hair up in a cinnabun (I think that's the right name) and my ends flopped over my head. I was surprised, because I thought that my hair was all the same color of medium brown.

Speckla
December 13th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Hair color seems to fade a bit as it gets older (longer length). Bleaching from the sun, products, heat?

My hair gets more reddish/auburnish as the length goes down when it's not even colored.
________
HERBAL VAPORIZER (http://vaporizers.net/)

Elphie
December 13th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Meh...I really try not to! My canopy is a different hue than the under layer of my hair. I attribute some of that to new growth being my natural color and sun lightening.

Heidi_234
December 13th, 2008, 08:42 AM
My ends look bright red compared to my roots which look dark brown when compared to my roots. ;)

Mine too! Although I can't get them exactly red with my henna, so it's more of orange ends and dark brown roots.

florenonite
December 13th, 2008, 08:54 AM
My ends are blonde and my roots are brown, because of bleaching from the sun.

Shorty89
December 13th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Mine are very different. My hair lightens in the sun so my ends are a lot more blonde than my roots. I have a picture from this summer. It doesn't want to show as a picture but here is the link.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=615&pictureid=13539

spidermom
December 13th, 2008, 09:37 AM
My ends are a different color from my roots as well, partly from weathering and partly because I'm going gray.

Peter
December 13th, 2008, 10:04 AM
My roots are totally black, but there are places near the ends that it looks brown in certain lighting.

NebraskaChick84
December 13th, 2008, 10:09 AM
in the winter they are all the same color but the sun bleaches streaks into my hair so my hair looks dark brown with golden brown streaks. the effect is striking but I can't stand having my hair uncovered anymore (my head feels like it's on fire) in the sun so the current effect is very muted.

Nes
December 13th, 2008, 10:38 AM
My roots are darkest brown and my ends are medium brown.

My hair has a reddish glow all over, but it is much more noticable near the ends.

I think this is caused by age and damage. It used to be much more of a marked colour difference when I was flat-ironing my hair - the ends used to be almost orange!

Nes x

RedFrizz
December 13th, 2008, 11:00 AM
There's a drastic difference between my ends and my roots (which can also be seen in my avatar); my ends are bright orange and my roots dark copper. Somewhere in between them you can also see a 4 inch tall horizontal stripe, which is more red than orange. I'm indeed very stripy..

Anje
December 13th, 2008, 11:17 AM
My ends are redder, but that's because they've seen more henna.

Ryanne
December 13th, 2008, 11:32 AM
My roots are an ashy blonde and my ends a lighter reddish, brown.

beehives
December 13th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I have such a huge contrast right now because of an awful chemical dye job I gave myself in an effort to take the darker color out of my hair. Unfortunately, my roots slurped up the lightener I used, so while the darker color lightened a shade or two, my virgin roots are totally blonde now.

It looks silly, but I told myself I'm done with dye (unless I cave and use ColorFix this week, ha), so I'll more than likely just let this whole mess grow out and cut it later on down the road.

Oh dear.

Fantak
December 13th, 2008, 07:36 PM
The bottom third of my hair is a golden brown whereas the rest of my hair is a very dark brown, the degradation of colour is very subtle so you can barely tell when my hair is down.

I never really noticed there was such a big difference until the other day I did a crown braid for the first time and my brother thought it was a hair piece the colour was so different :D

flapjack
December 13th, 2008, 10:20 PM
My hair is a hot mess and I've never dyed it in my life. First of all, it naturally has black, dark brown, med. brown, light brown, several shades of blonde, including white blonde and several shades of red. So there's that issue, already. Then you have the ends, that are 4, 5, 6, ? years old and they've seen all those summers. So they get lighter, anyway. The reds turn to oranges/coppers, the blondes become brighter, the browns turn dark blondes. Then, I get the blonde streaks around my part and my face, like other people have mentioned. Plus, I was a blonde until I was about 19-20 so the hairs on the end are still... blonde! Mostly, anyway.

It's ridiculous, that's all I know. My ends are a dramatically different color than the top. From the neck down, it's out of control, always has been.

As dumb as this might sound, it's actually the only thing I don't like about my hair. The color change is noticeable with my hair down. My friends think it looks cool. But most of the time I hate it and I'm debating just giving in to what my new haircolor has become and dyeing it all a dark red/brown.

LaurelSpring
December 13th, 2008, 10:24 PM
My ends are red and the rest is a dark reddish brown. When I first started to henna my damaged ends really took the henna so now with subsequent applications the ends get redder and the rest gets darker but I dont mind because I love the color variations in my buns and updos.

Nevermore
December 13th, 2008, 11:35 PM
My ends are the same color as my roots. However, I have two blonde streaks on either side of my face, about 1/4" wide, that are part blonde and part gray hair. Other than that, my hair is uniformally not one color (mixed black, red, brown, blonde, gray and white blonde streaks in the front)

I used to get serious sunbleached highlights that everyone LOVED and complimented me on. I may do a handful of fakelights this coming summer, with lemon juice and sunlight or something to get that variation back.

Neorah
December 13th, 2008, 11:45 PM
I posted a picture a while back that I thought was a pretty cool illustration of how different a hair's root and end can be... At least, when your hair has as much old damage as mine does!

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk129/joliefolle/Hair/22508-2.jpg

I cropped it so the picture wouldn't be so big, but it's the same hair. There's a pretty drastic color difference, but also check out the difference in the thickness!

I was impressed, at least... :p

maskedrose
December 14th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Mines a beaten gold color at the roots with slight red undertones. My hairline lightens to white blonde in the summer and the length gets very light as well. My underlayer just gets more red/gold towards the ends, although there are a few black/auburn strands mixed in.

tourbillion
December 14th, 2008, 12:29 AM
My hair is darker at the ends than the roots. I know this sounds impossible, but it's true. It has been that way for the last 20 years. There is a streak of blonder hair underneath at the nape of the neck.

I am a natural redhead, but no chemical treatment.

SweetPea88
December 14th, 2008, 12:37 AM
My hair is black but the ends do look a little reddish brown at times. The ends were actually a bit lighter this time last year, but using coconut oil and staying out of the sun has helped a lot.

sahiba
December 14th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Mine is same black from root to end.