PDA

View Full Version : Do you pay more for a hair cut/trim when it's longer?

Speckla
December 13th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I don't think people should have to pay more for longer hair.
$14 above shoulders, $19 below shoulders. My stylist does a great job (cuts it dry, examines my scalp/hair and pays attention to the way the curls form before she cuts) and doesn't set the price she has to charge...but I still think it's wrong to charge more.:rolleyes:
________
SIERRA RS COSWORTH (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Sierra_RS_Cosworth)

intothemist1999
December 13th, 2008, 08:09 AM
More for a trim doesn't make sense to me if it's a blunt cut. If it's heavily layered and they have to trim all over the head, it makes sense to me that they'd have to charge more. Then again, that's not according to LENGTH...so no, I don't think length should be the determining factor.

If they are trimming a shoulder length blunt or a waist length blunt, let's assume they are dealing only with the hemline. Shouldn't make a difference where that sits!

SHELIAANN1969
December 13th, 2008, 08:26 AM
That is odd. If someone takes off 1/4 inch, it doesn't matter if the hair is classic length or chin length, it's still 1/4 inch.

Weird. It sounds like they just want more money and are trying to trick people into thinking that if your hair is longer, they have to cut more, so it takes more time, so it costs more money. :rolleyes:

Speckla
December 13th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Maybe it's due to my hair being multi-layered and curly? But 1-2" off the ends and no style or shampooing is being done. I need to learn to do my own trims.

This has been my experience with every salon I've gone to. Trims are cheaper when it's short vs. more when it's longer. Unless I'm being charged for a full cut and not just a trim?
________
EPILEPSY FORUMS (http://www.health-forums.org/epilepsy/)

squiggyflop
December 13th, 2008, 08:34 AM
most places around here charge more for long hair.. i got me a pair of hair scissors.. i can do my own trimming thank you very much.. i can understand the cost of coloring hair going up when its long but cutting is ridiculous

florenonite
December 13th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I'd've thought it'd be the other way round, seeing as lots of shorter cuts need layers or different lengths to look nice, whereas lots of people with longer hair wear it blunt and just want 1/2 " or something off all of it.

Chanterelle
December 13th, 2008, 09:27 AM
While it might take longer to cut short hair (layers and all), long hair usually takes much longer to style.
So I think it's weird.

spidermom
December 13th, 2008, 09:35 AM
My hair stylist doesn't charge a different price for trimming longer hair.

Roseate
December 13th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I've never seen different prices according to length. What I have seen is different prices according to gender, (men cheaper than women), which is just as silly. Some men are just a clipper cut, but some are much more time consuming than a unlayered trim.

19$ for a good trim though? Still a bargain in my book. Sounds like she should just raise her prices across the board and not bother with nickel-and-diming people for 5 bucks.

Nes
December 13th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I have seen this done but don't agree with it at all. A short razored and layered bob will take ten times longer than an inch trim of classic length hair.

It doesn't really make sense. I wouldn't go to a salon that charged this way on principle.

Nes x

Isilya
December 13th, 2008, 10:27 AM
My stylist doesn't make the difference, but I've seen others do it. There's a Redken-salon in my city and they work with short, medium, long and XL categories and prices. I guess they do it for the extra time it takes to wash (since they probably shampoo the length as well as the scalp) and blow-dry.

I always go to the salon with my mom and I'm the first to get my hair washed, trimmed and blow-dried, but because she has short hair, she's always ready before I am.

So in a way it's fair they charge more for long hair (if we're talking wash, cut and dry), since it takes more time. But I agree, a simple trim on dry hair shouldn't cost a longhair more money.

alligatorbaby23
December 13th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I have seen this practice. I was just brainstorming, maybe salons charge more for longer hair not because it takes more time, but because longhairs don't trim as much as shorts?
See, when you have a shorter hairstyle you must frequent the salon more, so therefore they get more revenue from this style. Longhairs can stretch between trims longer, therefore they do not go to the salon as much.
Not that this is fair, just a theory. I too trim my own hair. Last time I went to a salon I had fringe cut in (Jan 08) and have maintained it myself since.

Carolyn
December 13th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I've seen it both ways around here. For color, longer hair is definitely more costly in both time and product but for a trim on blunt cut hair I can't see that there should be a difference if there is no shampooing, no blow drying, and no styling. It's kind of like the difference in dry cleaning prices for men and women.

Chromis
December 13th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I've seen signs stating long hair is extra on most salons I've passed by in the places I've lived.

For me though, I find the scissors cost them same no matter how long my hair gets!

rapunzhell13
December 13th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Around here they usually charge a trim price and a restyle price, regardless of length.

winter_star
December 14th, 2008, 02:31 AM
Every hair salon I have ever been to has charged less for short hair and more for long! Hence the reason, I can never afford to cut my hair... probably a good thing for me!

Addy
December 14th, 2008, 06:24 AM
My stylist charges the same as a short cut. There is no difference.

My dd doesn't charge me anything and I get a hug and kiss when she's done! :D

Arriens
December 16th, 2008, 03:48 PM
What I have seen is different prices according to gender, (men cheaper than women),And even then they can screw it up.
Despite a decent goatee they still tried to let me pay the female price. :(

HairColoredHair
December 16th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I understand more for a perm, even more for some lengths (the last time I was at a stylist she had to kneel to trim Editted to add: And that was when I was at waist/tb.... gosh I'm short!)...

invisiblebabe
December 16th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I think that's silly, but the salon I go to doesn't do that. (I trim my own hair anyway, I only go to the salon for partial highlights.)

Tapioca
December 17th, 2008, 09:29 AM
My stylist is rare. I go in with freshly washed and detangled hair, so all she has to do is mist it a bit with water and comb it out before trimming. I get a blunt cut, and it never takes her more than ten minutes. She charges me the same as for a bangs trim. Of course, I usually tip her the same amount, but I've got a good thing going! I want to keep her!

Spike
December 17th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I'm not willing to play that game. I don't frequent salons where they charge based on the length UNLESS it's for a full service wash, dry cut or for a product intensive service (perms, dye).

I'm willing to do my own blunt/U trims, they're easy. Getting rid of layers (or putting them in) is a different matter. It's simple enough to ascertain their policy, and go someplace reasonable.

BellaDiva
December 18th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Does everyone here with long hair have to stand to get their hair cut? My stylist makes me stand on a milk crate so she can see the bottom edge evenly.

http://www.ballroom.to/picts/hair.JRP

AutumnSky
December 18th, 2008, 08:44 PM
My current stylist doesn't make me stand, but I have had stylists that did.... Particularly when I got my cuts at the Sassoon Academy...they ALWAYS made me stand for my cuts.

Magicknthenight
December 19th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Does everyone here with long hair have to stand to get their hair cut? My stylist makes me stand on a milk crate so she can see the bottom edge evenly.

http://www.ballroom.to/picts/hair.JRP
yes the stylist i have went to a couple times made me stand as well since my hair passed the chair and she wanted it to be an even cut. Though i did join the no trimming for 1 year challenge just a couple days ago.
About charging more to trim long hair..I've never heard of that. If its just a trim i don't know why they would charge more. Its about 12 bucks to get a trim at the great clips or fantastic Sam's. I was lucky to find that nice stylist at a cheaper place. (though she took off a little bit more then i wanted last time e_e) Its not bad. Compared to where some of my friends go to get like 45 dollar hair cuts. Or depending on the level the stylist is. I've never went to a place like that. That charges by the experience. Can't i just have a good stylist?! I just want one that can cut a straight line!!! I can understand its more work if they had to dye longer hair or perm it but just a trim? Bah! a trim is a trim.

Zindell
December 19th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Hair stylist? Saloon? What is this weirdness you talk about? :D

BlackfootHair
December 19th, 2008, 06:11 AM
In the service industry they generally establish how much they want to make an hour and set their prices accordingly. If something is going to take more time, or if they think it will take more time, they will adjust the prices accordingly. I worked in a salon where he set the prices and said for each additional 15 minutes it was $15.

Islandgrrl
December 19th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Where I live, you can't get a trim for less than what it costs for a cut. So for my last trim I paid $45. I can't justify paying that much money to have 1/2 inch snipped off the bottom layer of my hair (I'm going for blunt). I'll be a DIY trimmer in the future.

lapushka
December 19th, 2008, 07:16 AM
I know salons that charge 5 euro's more if they have to work with long hair, long hair meaning hair that hangs over the shoulders. :roll:

AutumnSky
December 19th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I think it's all a grand conspiracy to deter us from growing our hair to spectacular lengths, thereby putting stylists out of business and making short-haired women feel inferior. :cheese:

*Tounge so far in cheek it's leaving a dent*

heidi w.
December 19th, 2008, 12:10 PM
To trim my hair means to kneel or sit on the floor. I've now seen several floor length trims conducted, and the people had to lay on the floor so the hair would be at eye level.

I would definitely pay a big tip for this trim! It's kinda asking a lot of someone to hunker down on the floor to help me.

NO, generally salons do not charge by the length (which by the way, they're removing!:whistle: )

heidi w.

Islandgrrl
December 19th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Heidi, yes, I would definitely expect to pay more (or tip grandly) for having a trim wherein the stylist needed to crawl around on the floor!

When I was still at knee, the only stylist I've ever trusted (he refused to cut my hair off when I asked him - how's that for a great guy?) would have me stand on the second rung of a ladder (holding on, of course) and he'd trim my hemline with me standing while he sat on a low chair. Then he'd have me walk around and move my hair around, come back to the ladder and re-evaluate, trimming any hairs that he'd missed the first time. We'd go through this process a couple of times until he was satisfied with it. Cost = $25 (and that included a $15 tip).