PDA

View Full Version : I need an opinion(s) on weird bangs..

SearMeCarefully
December 12th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Okay so here is the thing. I want just a few long (about chin length) "accent" bangs for when I have my hair up/pulled back. To soften the look a bit, kinda romantic/soft

Here is my dilemma(s):
I don't want a full set of bangs, just a few thick strands..
My hair is most curly on the top.. (if have middle part, the hair to each side of part and in the front is the majority of where my curl is and I want to keep that long) so is it possible to cut a few bangs to each side JUST below that hair and not look doofy? and remember not a full bang set, just a few tendrils.. I was thinking I could easily put them with my main hair when I wear it down..

Do you think this would work or look weird?

I can't seem to find any photos and I can't picture how it'd work out.. Never had bangs or anything like it really (unless mass amounts of fly aways count :p )

kinda like this (but not cut in the very middle..) http://img2.timeinc.net/instyle/images/2007/wedding/winter05/hair/winter05_hair1a.jpg

Lindsay
December 12th, 2008, 11:54 PM
That's cute! It's more like layers instead of bangs.
Beware, though, it's very tricky to get those dang things to lay right and stay out of your face!
Actually, I hated mine after a while simply because they stuck to my face in the summer and just got plain annoying.

eyesofsummer
December 13th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I think it would look great! It would definitely 'soften the look', as you say, and chin length would still be easy enough to put behind your ears if you need to get it out of the way for whatever reason.

Gothic Lolita
December 13th, 2008, 01:29 AM
I love it! Too bad that I would have to curl my hair fo that with heat.... :(

SearMeCarefully
December 13th, 2008, 01:42 AM
But do ya'll think it'd be weird for the short pieces to start ~1/4 the way down my hair line?

SearMeCarefully
December 13th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Okay I made a paint lol to assist in what I'm concerned about.. so parted down the middle, and the first while my hair is long then take the hair under that (starting about mid eyebrow) and cut that area as accent bangs..

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=264&pictureid=26891

LutraLutra
December 13th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Nope, I don't think that's weird at all, I think it would look great. As long as you have a few cut in, and make sure they're long enough to put into a ponytail ( in case you don't like them) then go for it. Face framing curls look lovely.

viking_quest
December 13th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I don't think those look weird. They definitely have the romantic/soft vibe you're going for.

pookatrina
December 13th, 2008, 09:45 AM
If I had curly or very wavy hair I would have bangs just like that. I have yet to figure out how to get that look with straight hair.

Nes
December 13th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I think that would look great, it would definitely soften updo's and make them look more romantic.

I used to have face framing layers of this length and I liked them.

I agree that they should be long enough to tuck behind your ears though, otherwise when you look down they swing in your face and you can't see a thing!

Do your curls always lie the same way? It might be worth leaving the bits you imagine would form the bangs out of an updo and see if they lie nicely at the length you would get them cut.

I like your paint picture! I've done the same thing and taken it to the hairdressers before!

Nes x

NebraskaChick84
December 13th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I actually was debating seeing if my mom could do the same thing to my hair! I think it would look a little better if there was something to soften the updos. and I could always clip it up when I don't WANT accent bangs.

SearMeCarefully
December 13th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks for every ones input.. I just have never seen bangs that aren't cut all the way across and not really sure how it'll work out

Honey39
December 13th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I'm a bit confused - so the shorter layers will be UNDER the longer hair? And will only show up when your hair is tied back, right? I see what you mean - and my hair does the same thing as yours, I get perfect ringlets from the centre parting at the top, so I would be really reluctant to cut those!

Just check I suppose that it will all lie right when your hair is down - it should do, but basically you're cutting face framing layers in the sides near the temples??? Should look lovely!

Fantak
December 13th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I think it would look great! I do suggest you cut them yourself though, you seem to know exactly what you want and it's an easy cut to do.

HTH can't wait to see the results ^.^

catfish
December 13th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I have the kind of wisps your describing, I think:p Let me explain...

When my hair is down, it looks as though I have no face framing layers, basically all one length hair, but when my hair is up, then I have framing wispies. They come to just above jaw level in length, and go no higher up my hairline than my temples.

The way I cut them is this:

* Put hair up in a bun (a loose one) a scrunchy bun works well.
* Gently pull of a few strands of temple level hair out of the bun.
* Let these pieces fall naturally and see where they fall on your face.( mine perfectly frame my face without getting close to my eyes)
* Cut pieces a bit longer than you want them.
* Pull out a few more strands along your hairline until your just to your ears if you want a fuller frame. If you just want one or two tendrils then about half an inch of temple hair will be enough.

When your hair is up, the tendrils will be visible, otherwise they will easily tuck behind the ears or blend in with 'down' hair.

I hope I haven't confused you big time:p

SearMeCarefully
February 14th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Whelp! I'm getting these done today. I'm so nervous! I had a bad dream about it a couple days ago lol I'm sucha freak! O_O

Fairlight63
February 14th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I bet that they will look great! You got to post a picture, we are all waiting :)

manderly
February 14th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I cut some, they lasted exactly one day and then I hacked them off into "real" bangs :)

They look really pretty in theory, but I could never get them to truly cooperate and I felt like I looked stupid and was "trying to hard".

I'm sure with curlier hair like your it will be very pretty though :D

baobhan sith
February 14th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I've cut them in myself, but i have straight hair. i originally had a sideparting, and did them just on the left side, but now when i have a centre parting i have them both sides, the way you showed. I've cut them so that they just go behind me ears and won't come out (so base of my ear is where i measured to), which is also a good length for them to be curling around my face to soften it. I can't see how i'd have managed to do it if i had curly hair, in fact i probably wouldn't have, but that's mainly because i'm pretty useless. And a terror with scissors, tweezers... etc. good luck!

wintersun99
February 14th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Whelp! I'm getting these done today. I'm so nervous! I had a bad dream about it a couple days ago lol I'm sucha freak! O_O

Can't wait to see how they turn out!

girlcat36
February 14th, 2009, 05:08 PM
My 'bangs' are like that. Not cut in the center, but about an inch away from center on either side. Cut them myself, and curly hair is so forgiving if they don't turn out so well.

I love that hairdo in the pic--I've had it on the list as a possible wedding hair-do since I got engaged(5 years ago:rolleyes:).

girlcat36
February 14th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Here is a link to a pic with them, but it is messy, slept in hair: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=819&pictureid=30891

Curlsgirl
February 14th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Here is a link to a pic with them, but it is messy, slept in hair: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=819&pictureid=30891

Okay now I understand! Thanks, those are very cute!

girlcat36
February 14th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Okay now I understand! Thanks, those are very cute!

Thanks, Curlsgirl!
They are actually a little bit thicker than the photo shows, some of it has been twisted back into the braids.

HildeMV
February 14th, 2009, 06:51 PM
That's how my bangs(eyebrow length) looked like when I was growing them out. It didn't look weird, it just softened the look of a pulled back ponytail.

freznow
February 14th, 2009, 07:04 PM
My natural 'bangs' are just the shorter hair at my temples, for the most part. I don't think it looks odd at all, with straight or curly hair.

goodenough
February 14th, 2009, 07:53 PM
My hair naturally breaks off and does this. I have cut the middle recently, too, to have regular bangs. If I want this look, I just pull the middle two inches back and let the tendrils wisp down.

Darkhorse1
February 14th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Nope, that would look GREAT! I'd have someone do them for you though as curly hair is tricky to cut properly. It's all in the angle in regards to getting the curl to twist properly.

It wouldn't look weird at all, and if the layers are long enough, you can pull them into a pony tail still, or leave the tendrils hanging. Gives you versitility.

Tangles
February 14th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Yeah, don't cut them on your own. Mine (grown out to below chin length) hang weirdly so I'm trying to grow them out and then get them re-cut at a salon.

SearMeCarefully
February 14th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Lol when I got them done I had such anxiety! I was SO nervous and the "sniiiip" of the scissors almost made me pass out lol. I decided to just cut those middle peices after seeing it the other way. They're not big/thick and I have a few that gradually go down. I haven't had time to play with them much yet but I'll for sure get a picture with them soon. I'm pretty sure I like them, they're weird though! I keep almost eating my hair, and I realize I have a bunch tosses/shrugs/actions etc that are now soon to be obsolete lol
I would go to toss my hair back out of my face like when it was long and there it is again.. oh yeah, bangs heh ^_^