PDA

View Full Version : Growing again: Beware of Razor Artist

Mike
December 12th, 2008, 06:45 PM
http://DSC01763Hi LHC,
I have not been on here too much this year. Earlier in the year my hair was almost done with the awkward stage and I was in Florida and saw a fancy salon. Figured I would have a "professional stylist" layer the ends a bit and then let it grow and grow from that point. You know where this is leading. Her card said hair "artist". She started with scissors on the ends and I looked down and was only losing an inch or so. So far so good. After a while I feel a tugging and a sizzling kind of noise. It was her "artistic" weapon of choice, a fancy razor blade. Now I see 4 to 6 inch sections of hair falling on the floor. I was not pleased and it was too late to stop. She said it would all blend when she was done. It blended into a bad 1980's style. I did not wait to return from Florida to go buy an elctric clipper and start from scratch.
Well it is now around 7 or so months later and here is my progress picture. I had a slight trim of the ends once from a trusted friend. I could use some encouragement and advice. How long before I reach mid back? I can't wait. I want to be able to do a ponytail, halftail, rope braid even some cool warrior updos. Here is the recent picture. Mike
http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq21/MikeLHC_photos/DSC01763-1.jpg

Mike
December 12th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Sorry. I am not sure how to attach the picture. I'll do a search unless there is a link with instructions. Sorry, Mike

NebraskaChick84
December 12th, 2008, 06:50 PM
upload it to a hosting site such as photobucket or flikr and then you can just use the photo icon to put it on a post. I'm so sorry that happened to you :(

Gumball
December 12th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Host it on a photo hosting site such as Photobucket or something. Then find the url to the picture itself, click on the botton in the message box here that looks like a landscape "Hover text will be Insert Image" and paste the url to the pic there. Sorry to hear about the rough ride hair-wise you went through recently, but welcome back and good luck growing! It's from scratch so it's a whole new trip. :)

Mike
December 12th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Thanks Nebraska and Gumball. I saw "manage attachments" under FAQ but it may not apply. I will try the photobucket. First I will rty it as an avatar. I'm new to this.

Gumball
December 12th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Yeah attachments in messages aren't really functional here in that regard. Your best bet would either use the photo hosting site or resize it and upload it as your avatar.

Mike
December 12th, 2008, 07:01 PM
OK, I figured out the avatar thing. Next is a bigger picure. The avatar is the picture I am trying to uplaod to this post. back in a bit.

Gumball
December 12th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Looks good so far!

rapunzhell13
December 12th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Looks like you're back on track again, so good luck! Live and learn right?

wintersun99
December 12th, 2008, 07:49 PM

Mike
December 12th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Here goes
http://s430.photobucket.com/albums/qq21/MikeLHC_photos/?action=tageditmany

Mike
December 12th, 2008, 07:52 PM
OK, this is frustrating. I opened up a photobucket account and uploaded the picture. I click on the insert image icon and paste the url and it does not copy. Any advice. Thanks

DragonLady
December 12th, 2008, 07:55 PM
http://s430.photobucket.com/albums/qq21/MikeLHC_photos/th_DSC01763.jpg

wintersun99
December 12th, 2008, 07:55 PM

DragonLady
December 12th, 2008, 07:57 PM
To get the pictures to appear, you must enter the entire URL, and it must have the correct extension (i.e. .gif or .jpeg. or .png, etc) as the very end of the line. It can't contain a question mark or other special character, either. :)

You'll get it with practise. There's a test board on the bottom of the front page of the forums where you can play with the board functions.

Mike
December 12th, 2008, 08:26 PM
http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq21/MikeLHC_photos/DSCO1763.jpg

grrrrrrrr. It has not been deleted. I just can't figure out how to do it. I appreciate the advice though.

Mike
December 12th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Finally added picture to my original post. I need Computers for Dummies for Christmas.

Gumball
December 12th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Good to see you posted it, but next time you may want to try and shrink it down just a little bit so the dial-up users might be spared the time spent downloading it. :) Look at that shine though! You're off to a fantastic start.

Mike
December 12th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Good to see you posted it, but next time you may want to try and shrink it down just a little bit so the dial-up users might be spared the time spent downloading it. :) Look at that shine though! You're off to a fantastic start.
Thanks Gumball. I will learn how to fit the picture better. I appreciate your comments on the shine. Any advice on how to keep my hair healthy as it grows is always appreciated. Sorry about all of my lame attempts to get the photo posted. I think I've got it down now.
Mike

DecafJane
December 12th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Your hair looks nice and healthy! :)

I guess you, like many of us, will never return to a stylist for a LONG time.

Peter
December 12th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Your hair's looking good. When it was longer, do you remember if it started waving a bit, or were the ends still straight?

Mike
December 12th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Your hair looks nice and healthy! :)

I guess you, like many of us, will never return to a stylist for a LONG time.
Never again Decaf

Mike
December 12th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Your hair's looking good. When it was longer, do you remember if it started waving a bit, or were the ends still straight?
Actually it is more wavy than that picture. I'm not sure why it was straighter that day. Either the weather, shampoo and conditioner or conditioner only or new products. It may have been really low humidity that day. I hear as it gets really long the waves decrease due to the hairs weight. I like it straight but my girlfriends seemed jealous of the waves when it was longer before the razor assassin eliminated the waves.

Buddaphlyy
December 12th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad salon experience. But you hair looks nice and healthy in the pic. Welcome back to LHC.

Mike
December 12th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Thank you Buddaphlyy. I'll never go back. I just hope i reach mid back soon. If it grows longer than that I will feel blessed. Hopefully only 2 more years. maybe wishful thinking. "Avoid the razor artists" LOL

LutraLutra
December 13th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Aaagr! The evil of 'razoring in texture'. Well done for growing them out, I'm still at the 'ohmygawd the ends of my hair looks like a dog chewed it' stage. Evil!

longhairdream
December 13th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Hello Mike....nice to see your hair growing again !...... me going for long hair too now....... enough wid the short hair !!......

Mike
December 13th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks for all of the nice compliments. Any ideas on when I will reach mid back length?
Mike

suicides_eve
December 13th, 2008, 07:13 PM
that is a whole lot of growth for 7 months, you'll be mid back in no time flat

Mike
December 13th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks Eve. I hope you are right. It will pass quickly if I don't check it every day.

Katze
December 15th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Actually it is more wavy than that picture. I'm not sure why it was straighter that day. Either the weather, shampoo and conditioner or conditioner only or new products. It may have been really low humidity that day. I hear as it gets really long the waves decrease due to the hairs weight. I like it straight but my girlfriends seemed jealous of the waves when it was longer before the razor assassin eliminated the waves.

Hi Mike,

my hair, and my BF's, also get wavier as we get longer. Others have different experiences, of course, but you may be pleasantly surprised. Mine don't come out until about shoulder length, and BF's turn into ringlets around that length too. It looks like some waves are indeed hiding in there! And your hair does look very shiny and healthy.

You have a nice length for a guy, IMO. You can pull it back, do half ups, or leave it down without it being in your way too much, and it looks good. My BF and I got together when he had your length, and I always found there is something very prince-like and masculine about that length.

It does sound like you are more of a 'barely wavy' hair type if it changes wave so much. Understanding your hair type will help you understand hair care and 'management' - barely wavy hair can be a challenge, but being able to enjoy straight OR wavy is worth it.

At any rate it sounds like you know not to go to salons if you want long hair, and you have definitely come to the right place!

Welcome here!

Katze

maskedrose
December 15th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I'm sorry to hear about the razor experience :( Well, it looks really good now, and my guess is that you'll reach mid-back in probably a year or so, depending on your growth rate and your trimming schedule. It took me about a year and a half, but that was with frequent trims (4" total in in trims over that time).

Welcome back and good luck!

Mike
December 15th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Hi Mike,

my hair, and my BF's, also get wavier as we get longer. Others have different experiences, of course, but you may be pleasantly surprised. Mine don't come out until about shoulder length, and BF's turn into ringlets around that length too. It looks like some waves are indeed hiding in there! And your hair does look very shiny and healthy.

You have a nice length for a guy, IMO. You can pull it back, do half ups, or leave it down without it being in your way too much, and it looks good. My BF and I got together when he had your length, and I always found there is something very prince-like and masculine about that length.

It does sound like you are more of a 'barely wavy' hair type if it changes wave so much. Understanding your hair type will help you understand hair care and 'management' - barely wavy hair can be a challenge, but being able to enjoy straight OR wavy is worth it.

At any rate it sounds like you know not to go to salons if you want long hair, and you have definitely come to the right place!

Welcome here!

Katze

Thanks Katze, Prince-like you say? I've never been told that before. I'm starting to feel sort of....royal. Just kidding but thank you. I can't really do any decent looking halfups or complete ponytail but I am getting there.
Mike

Mike
December 15th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I'm sorry to hear about the razor experience :( Well, it looks really good now, and my guess is that you'll reach mid-back in probably a year or so, depending on your growth rate and your trimming schedule. It took me about a year and a half, but that was with frequent trims (4" total in in trims over that time).

Welcome back and good luck!
Hi Masked and thank you. Your hair is gorgeous in the picture from September. Now that is my goal. Amazing!!!! I think it will take me longer than 1 1/2 years. Did you start at my length? Thanks for inspiring me toward my goal.
Mike