PDA

View Full Version : Moisture treatments question

littleredlx
December 12th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Sorry if this was allready asked but will it hurt your hair if you leave conditioner treatments or just plain conditioner on too long? If so what is too long?

suicides_eve
December 12th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Nope there was a rumor i heard that if you condtioner on to long you hair could fall out - NOT true.

Some times your hair needs a super moisture treatment , i take damp hair and glob on the conditioner and wrap it up ina shower cap and leave it on over night or until i feel like washing it out, some time it can be that evening ( online collage)

if any thing it will make your hair soft and moisturized.

Faepirate
December 12th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I don't think so. I've left conditioner on overnight before with no ill effects. :)

littleredlx
December 12th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Ok thanks thats what I thought but i wanted to make sure. Thanks alot

RocketDog
December 12th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I routinely leave either straight coconut/jojoba oil or a mix of conditioner, honey and oil on my hair overnight. I just braid it loosely then cover it with a headwrap/handkerchief, and wash in the morning.

Carolyn
December 12th, 2008, 06:50 PM
If that was true then my hair would have fallen out long ago. I leave my CO conditioner on my hair for hours. The only thing that could happen would be if you were allergic to an ingredient in the conditioner. Hopefully you would rinse it off quickly to minimize any ill effects.

Sissy
December 12th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I think it is OK to leave oils in the hair overnight (pure coconut, jojoba, sweet almond, etc). However, I have read that the time frames on conditioners and treatments are there for a reason. If a product says leave on up to 15 minutes, that time should not be exceeded. Longer is not always better. The product may be strong and leaving it in longer than the desired amount of time may have an opposite effect of what you want. It may over-treat the hair in some way. However, if the conditioner does not specify a time it can be left on for it should be OK to leave it on overnight.

Ryanne
December 13th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Not that I know of. I sometimes leave it overnight and nothing bad has happend.

littlemiss
December 13th, 2008, 03:43 AM
I think it is OK to leave oils in the hair overnight (pure coconut, jojoba, sweet almond, etc). However, I have read that the time frames on conditioners and treatments are there for a reason. If a product says leave on up to 15 minutes, that time should not be exceeded. Longer is not always better. The product may be strong and leaving it in longer than the desired amount of time may have an opposite effect of what you want. It may over-treat the hair in some way. However, if the conditioner does not specify a time it can be left on for it should be OK to leave it on overnight.
Im with sissy, I have found some moisture treatment products to have protein in them and when left in the hair to long has bad results, always read the labels:), oils are great!!:)

Arctic
December 13th, 2008, 04:20 AM
If you have sensitive scalp, it might not like overly long treatments either.

aisling
December 13th, 2008, 10:01 AM

No, this isn't true, my hair would have seriously problems if this was the case, because I never ever follow the given time frames. Heck, I use a deep treatment (15-30min) on my ends as a leave in when they feel dry and walk around with that for a couple of days before washing. Same thing with oils, you can have them in your hair for days, no problem if you're not allergic.

littleredlx
December 13th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Wow thanks for all of the replys. Im learning more every day i am on here.:)

jojo
December 14th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I put a deep conditioning on my hair once a week at round 6 in the evening and leave it on until dinner time the next day and have have had nothing but excellent results!

Anje
December 14th, 2008, 07:04 PM
It's possible to over-moisturize your hair, but it's difficult. If you manage to, your hair will turn mushy and stretchy -- I've heard it described as feeling like wet paper before. I think it's more likely to happen to hair that has had protein depleted from it by perming, relaxing, bleaching, and repeated harsh dyeing.

If that does happen, do a protein treatment (sticking whole eggs in your hair is effective, but messy), preferably followed by more moisture, and all should be repaired.

plainjanegirl
December 18th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Ok so I have been using a cholesterol treatment (which I guess is protein) about once a month so now I need to find a good deep moisturizing treatment to add to my routine. What do you all recommend? A lil background.....my hair loves cones for the detangling and slip I normally get. I normally buy most of my hair stuff at Walmart (we don't have alot of choices in this area). As for my regular shampoo and conditioner right now I am alternating with Pantene, Head and Shoulders, or Aussie. I have been trying to do an overnight oiling with coconut oil the night before a wash, but have done that on dry hair and I am gonna try it on damp or wet hair and see if that helps. Well any recommendations would be great. Oh and I tried the SMT before but my hair didn't like that mix.

Carina
December 18th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I have never had a deep treament in my hair overnight.I think I will try that on my holidays:thumbsup:.

plainjanegirl
December 18th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I have never had a deep treament in my hair overnight.I think I will try that on my holidays:thumbsup:.

Let us know how it works for you doing the treatment overnight.
For those who do treatments overnight- do you find it better to use wet or dry hair?
Any recommendations (see my previous post)?