PDA

View Full Version : Crown Braids

Oberon88
December 12th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I need advice! Hair advice.... (obviously since I'm in the Mane Forum)
I'm going to wear crown braids out tonight, and I am actually nervous (Stupid, I know). I usually have my hair in a bun or down, but I want to do something different. I haven't worn crown braids in public (party situations) before, and since I am being silly, I am worried about the reaction of my peers.
I know, I love my hair, and shouldn't care about what other people think, but people are known to be mean, and I would hate to spend so much time on them and then take them down.
So...what do you guys think I should do?

This is a rather useless post since I know everyone will just say 'Wear them with pride!" but I'll feel better reading the responses anyway.:cheese:

Mebo
December 12th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Wear them with pride. You will be the envy of every other woman in the room. It's an elegant hairstyle, and they will feel like little girls compared to your magnificence.

How's that? Feel better?

lizzyjo
December 12th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Crown braids are such a unusual and intricate style, you'll be sure to get complements. Wear them with pride!

GibsonGirlV
December 12th, 2008, 06:45 PM
I always get oodles of compliments whenever I put my hair in an interesting braid. I've never gotten any sort of negative reaction. Go for it! I'm sure it will be a hit!!

Siava
December 12th, 2008, 06:47 PM
And obviously, if they're mean they're not worth your time. Right? :) Crown braids are beautiful and so are you. Wear it with pride and attitude!

NebraskaChick84
December 12th, 2008, 06:52 PM
wear them with pride! when you are done can you come teach me how? well wait a month or so, I'm still having problems with the dutch braid :)

Chromis
December 12th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I haven't managed an actual crown braid but I have gotten nothing but compliments wearing false crowns!

kelsoberry
December 12th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I'm dying to get my hair to your length just so that I can wear crown braids! Just know that you're making at least one girl really jealous!

ps post pictures!

goldenwaves
December 12th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Perhaps you could wear a crown braid/s down with only half of your hair. Ie. leave the bottom half down, like a half-up, and braid the top. Then, if you liked it and didn't feel too self-conscious you could try the full style. :)

Schmoomunitions
December 12th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Wait, whats the difference between a crown braid and a false crown braid?

beehives
December 12th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I know I'd be gaping in awe and jealousy if I saw a girl in crown braids at any party I was attending. Or really in any setting at all.

I hope you chose to sport 'em!

Masara
December 13th, 2008, 01:00 AM
My crown braids aren't yet to a level where I could wear them in public, but I know that if I could do them well enough I would still be asking myself the same question. I took ages before I dared wear bunned, classic Dutch braids outside. I don't know why. Maybe because it's so obviously different, something that few people do (can do) and I don't like drawing attention to myself that much. Maybe I thought I would look embarrassingly silly. I also had the Heidi/German Frau idea in my head (it's my head I can have all the wierd ideas I want)

But eventually I did it. And I was right. You really can't wear braids like that if you don't want to be noticed. I have never had a negative comment, just compliments. People love them and they are fascinated.
In a way it's a bit like wearing a mini skirt; it only works if you are prepared to carry it off. You can't do it appologetically. You have to go in with your head high (especially with crown braids ;-) )

Phalaenopsis
December 13th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I think a crown cascade would be gorgeous for a party. But that's me. A crown braid is also beautiful, but it's more chic I think.

Samikha
December 13th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Did it go well? I bet it did. Nothing gets as much attention as a crown braid, in my experience - people start tilting their heads and ask all wondering, how did you do that? It's very beautiful and shows a lot of skill and creativity, I think :)

Chromis
December 13th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Wait, whats the difference between a crown braid and a false crown braid?

A crown braid is French or Dutch braided around the whole head. A false crown braid is a single (or double going in two directions for some folks) English braid that is simply pinned to go around the head. :)

mellie
December 13th, 2008, 07:35 AM
When I wear false crown braid, I get so many compliments - go for it!!

Samikha
December 13th, 2008, 07:38 AM
A crown braid is French or Dutch braided around the whole head. A false crown braid is a single (or double going in two directions for some folks) English braid that is simply pinned to go around the head. :)

Personally I think the biggest difference is the requirements - a false crown braid takes a lot of hair, a crown braid takes a lot of patience;)

mellie
December 13th, 2008, 07:42 AM
This site has some very pretty examples of crown (and other) braids on celebrities:

http://www.zimbio.com/Hairstyles+with+Braids/articles/8/Fall+2008+Hair+Trends+Braids

Here's a pretty example - the style that I do a lot:

http://fileserver.glam.com/glampress/beauty/slideshows/Anne-Hathaway-Braided-Updo.jpg

Isn't she lovely? Love it!!

Chromis
December 13th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Personally I think the biggest difference is the requirements - a false crown braid takes a lot of hair, a crown braid takes a lot of patience;)

I completely agree! And I think both are very pretty :D

spidermom
December 13th, 2008, 09:50 AM
So how did it go? For me, a crown braid is exceedingly aging. No way would I wear it to a party.

verene
December 13th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I wore a half-crown (top of hair in a crown around the head, bottom left loose) for my senior prom. I got SO many compliments on it, and I still get compliments from anyone who looks at my pictures from that night.

General consensus was that I was either a princess or a beautiful elf-maid. :-)

I've also pinned braids around my head to make a crown as that was the easiest way to wear my hair in the official marching band twin-braids and keep it neat under the helmet. I'd wander around the mall after competitions and garner many compliments for this style as well.

Oberon88
December 13th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Wore them. I felt pretty good, my parents were especially complementary beforehand which boosted my confidence. My friends were stymied as to how they even worked. Great success!
I will post pictures as soon as I put them in my computer!
Thanks for the support everyone.

Oberon88
December 13th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Here they are. Please ignore my vacant expression and sometimes awkward Roman profile.
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn91/Smokybo/DSCN1500.jpg

Phalaenopsis
December 13th, 2008, 02:54 PM
That's a very nice crown braid! I wish I could do it as well as you can.

mellie
December 13th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Gorgeous!!

Auryn
December 13th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Your hair looks wonderful! :)

I wish I could do more with my own hair other than French/Dutch/English braids or simple buns. I can usually braid other people's hair, but have so much trouble doing my own. I think part of it is, I want to do it perfectly the first time and have no patience when I screw up.

tourbillion
December 13th, 2008, 04:04 PM
^I'd call that a noble profile. I have a hard time with those kind of braids myself, so I usually just pin braids to my head. The "Heidi" braid was a fashionable style about 1-2 years ago according to fashion magazines.

I just wish my braids weren't so fuzzy. Anyone know a trick to keep shorter hairs from popping out?

Oberon88
December 13th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I just wish my braids weren't so fuzzy. Anyone know a trick to keep shorter hairs from popping out?[/quote]

I use coconut oil, but they still pop out after a while. Curse you layers!

Boots
December 13th, 2008, 06:09 PM
It looks so great! And I think you have beautiful bone structure. Very classical,

I dampen my hair and rub on either watered down conditioner or aloe vera gel before braiding, which keeps my braids from getting fuzzy too fast.