PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder length: unite!

lapushka
December 12th, 2008, 01:34 PM
This thread is for those of us who have reached shoulder length (touching shoulders & beyond, but not APL yet).

Ladies, are you there!

Spike
December 12th, 2008, 01:50 PM
(raises hand)

My hair is at that IMPOSSIBLE length; long enough to get in my eyes, but too short for a ponytail. Grrrrr . . .

Last night I gave up and tied back just the crown into a teeeeny-tiiiiiiny tail. At least that way I was no longer in danger of neckstrain from flipping it out of my face.

I've been tying it under a bandanna to work out. Need to get a silk one if I'm going to continue that.

strwbrry dakri
December 12th, 2008, 01:54 PM
My longest layer is juuuuuust past my shoulders. Now if the rest would catch up....:hmm:

lapushka
December 12th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I have bangs that (when stretched out) reach the upper part of my upper lip. Curled up they're slightly shorter. Curls & bangs are horrible IMO, at least it gives the impression that the hairstyle that I have is much shorter. I use a headband a lot these days to get the bangs out of my way. Another hairstyle I can manage is a simple twist with a flexi-8, with just some curls hanging loose. That's about it.

Growgrowgrow!

viking_quest
December 12th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I'm definitely there. Can I call this collarbone? is really starting to get to me because my layers are misbehaving.

beehives
December 12th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I just cut three to four inches off my length yesterday and my hair is now about shoulder length. Ah, why'd I do it? I miss the inches!

I'm also jumping on the "hurry up and grow out, bangs!" bandwagon.

Roseate
December 12th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I'm right there with you!

Am I alone in not totally hating this length? Now that it's actually creeping towards collarbone, my hair is finally starting to be a little longer than it is wide, and I appreciate that. Also, I find this length to be pretty good for updos, and it's still short enough to look cute in two pigtails.

Still, I'm looking forward to longer!

Miss_Muffet
December 12th, 2008, 04:03 PM
This is me! I am past my shoulders but not yet APL. I think I have about 3 inches to go. Seems like it is taking forever, but I am so grateful that it is much longer than where I started from. Looking forward to the next few months and reaching APL! ;)

Debra83
December 12th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Me too! If it's wet, it's just past shoulders. I CAN'T WAIT TILL IT IS LONGER!!!! I'm trying all the tricks for sure. What are you doing to maximize and speed up growth?

Alana2000
December 12th, 2008, 05:27 PM
I'm here, but going through an awkward stage... I have one of those angled bob thingys, and the front is an 1" longer then the back, so its a real pain.

suicides_eve
December 12th, 2008, 06:17 PM
It only took me about 8 months to get from above shoulder to about a month away from "offically "APL, 8 months it will come and go before you know it. The trick is to not cut it only dust when you absolutely have to:)

Shina
December 12th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Yup me too! And what's worse is that is the length my hairs been pretty much all my life. -_- I mean I used to cut it alot, but I never actually left it long enough to grow, which is ironic because I've always absolutely loved long hair. Anyways, I don't want to jinx it but I think it's finally getting a bit past shoulder like two inches. But with my curls, it's really hard to tell. The other day my friend asked me, did you cut your hair, and I'm like no! I'm growing it. :mad: I can't wait for it to grow enough that people other than me can tell. :x

RocketDog
December 12th, 2008, 06:54 PM
I'm hovering at shoulder, have been for a while. My hair is collarbone-length when wet, but when it dries it curls to brush my shoulders. I'm guessing I need another inch or so before it stops trying to curl back up on itself at my shoulders and starts hanging down my back like I want it to. This is the most frustrating length to me - too short to do many updos, too long to leave down comfortably!

Copasetic
December 12th, 2008, 07:10 PM
i feel like i have been shoulder length forever. i am SO close to APL. just a couple more inches and i will be there.

Kitara
December 12th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Count me in!
I just recently got to hitting shoulder while still curly, so that's improvement I guess. Can't wait for the layers to grow out enough to do some better updos. Fortunately, between the henna, oils, and no blowfrying I still have no splits after 5 months of no trimming. I think I am gonna avoid all scissors until the summer.
Is it just me or is this just the most frustrating growing stage?

RocketDog
December 12th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Here's where I'm at today. Washed my hair this morning, this photo was taken after I took it down and thoroughly brushed it out. Normally it's a lot curlier, but since I put it up wet it came out really straight. I haven't had it cut since late July, hoping to make it 'til April before I trim it into a U-shaped hemline

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/littlereptilian/2008_1212dec120008.jpg

kelsoberry
December 12th, 2008, 08:15 PM
How often would you say to trim at this stage when you're trying for length? Right now the shortest layers on top and in the front. They're still an inch from the shoulders, the longer layers are another 2-3" past that in the back. Growing everything out is important, but I still want to look professional at work.

How often do you trim? Every 3 months? 6 months?

viking_quest
December 12th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Am I alone in not totally hating this length? Now that it's actually creeping towards collarbone, my hair is finally starting to be a little longer than it is wide, and I appreciate that. Also, I find this length to be pretty good for updos, and it's still short enough to look cute in two pigtails.

I don't hate the length but sometimes the layers really begin to bother me. Fortunately they'll grow out one day.

Lucky
December 13th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Another shoulder length-er here! I stupidly cut my hair off in September into a just above the shoulder length bob. I've regretted it ever since. It's now *just* tickling my shoulders, I'm hoping to be to my collar bone by this spring. This is a frustrating length, there's not a whole lot you can do with your hair (I can pull it back into a pony tail or small bun, that's about it). I've broken up my goals into short, mid and long term goals: for now, I'm focusing on getting to my collar bone. After that, I'll be focusing on APL, then on to BSL+ (mid-back, I guess). Glad to know I'm not alone!

AngelInDisguise
December 13th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Yes, here is another one with hair that's just over the shoulders.

At least I have one adventage with having 1b hair - there's no big difference between wet and dry hair! BUT as my hair is always touching the shoulder's and is 1b I always get this awful outside coil. And as it is very irregular it gives me the 'she seems to never brush her hair' look when I have it down.

Fact is: I literally never have it down these days. I had to get some versatility in my hairstyles so that this annyoing length will not bore me out and seduce my to cut the hair into a pixie or so again, so I looked for help with hairstyles -> here are the hints: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16198

Roseate
December 13th, 2008, 03:17 AM
How often would you say to trim at this stage when you're trying for length?

I trim every 6 months. For me, it's just enough to keep the ends looking clean without losing too much length.

I'm fortunate to have found a stylist who knows the meaning of the word "trim", so I never have to worry about him getting scissor-happy. Plus it's a nice seasonal thing; I trim at the new year and at my summer birthday!

paper
December 13th, 2008, 09:24 AM
:waving: Seems like it's taking forever to get to APL! Good to know I'm not alone.

suicides_eve
January 17th, 2009, 08:29 AM
bumping this thread to see if any of you have made progress

rags
January 17th, 2009, 08:48 AM
I'm a newbie, so no progress but definitely shoulder length. My hair is right between shoulders and APL. It's a bit frustrating at this length because it's long enough to annoy me being on my neck sometimes and yet it's not long enough yet to do many hairstyles. (or at least not many that I am capable of doing!). So I do a lot of wee little cinnabuns, and my hair is so fine it looks funny. Sometimes, though, I don't care, as long as it's UP!

paper
January 17th, 2009, 08:59 AM
3 more inches, and I can move on to APL! :cheese:

culleq3290
January 17th, 2009, 09:37 AM
my hair is slightly longer than shoulder (except my bangs which are about 2 inches off my chin) *sigh what an awkward phase! i'm ganna grow my hair out a bit past APL and cut to a blunt so I can get rid these layers! grr
I've used a 4% monistat treatment this week and had an inch of growth the past 3 weeks :D plus oilings and scalp masssages. What updos work best for you guys? for me its a gibson tuck sooo prettty! :) good luck with growth everyone! thanks for starting a great thread!

Debra83
January 17th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Yup me too! And what's worse is that is the length my hairs been pretty much all my life. -_- I mean I used to cut it alot, but I never actually left it long enough to grow, which is ironic because I've always absolutely loved long hair. Anyways, I don't want to jinx it but I think it's finally getting a bit past shoulder like two inches. But with my curls, it's really hard to tell. The other day my friend asked me, did you cut your hair, and I'm like no! I'm growing it. :mad: I can't wait for it to grow enough that people other than me can tell. :x

I HATE getting asked that question! groan!

Debra83
January 17th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I'm a wee bit longer now than when I first posted. Boy, it seems to take forever doesn't it?!

lapushka
January 17th, 2009, 11:26 AM
My hair is getting a bit longer too. I've been wearing it in a low twist with just a regular hairclip most days for the past 2 weeks now and it's actually great to have it out of my neck for a change!

Tap Dancer
January 17th, 2009, 03:00 PM
My hair is about one inch above my shoulders. I love this length on me. It looks great down and it's cute in a high ponytail.

Dez
January 17th, 2009, 03:37 PM
My longest layer is just about collarbone length. I've actually had alot of growth since April when I cut it really short. almost pixie. And I just started coming on here. HOpefully in a month or so i'll see alot of growth. I've been living off of peacock twists and 1/2 ups.

Roseate
January 17th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I HATE getting asked that question! groan!

Really? I always think it's a compliment, that the person thinks my hair looks freshly trimmed.

Plus my hair does change apparent length depending on if it's dried curly or combed out, so if people think my hair is shorter one day than the next they are probably right!:p

Debra83
January 18th, 2009, 01:03 AM
My hair is getting a bit longer too. I've been wearing it in a low twist with just a regular hairclip most days for the past 2 weeks now and it's actually great to have it out of my neck for a change!

How did you get two photos in your signature photo? I'd love to put my beginner photo (Avatar) next to my newest (sig photo) look.

Debra83
January 18th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Really? I always think it's a compliment, that the person thinks my hair looks freshly trimmed.

Plus my hair does change apparent length depending on if it's dried curly or combed out, so if people think my hair is shorter one day than the next they are probably right!:p

I never thought about it like that...:confused:...:o...:D

Maybe I'm a little too touchy on the length department because I want it to be LONGER!!!!

Linda K
January 18th, 2009, 02:07 AM
my hair is slightly longer than shoulder (except my bangs which are about 2 inches off my chin) *sigh what an awkward phase! i'm ganna grow my hair out a bit past APL and cut to a blunt so I can get rid these layers! grr
I've used a 4% monistat treatment this week and had an inch of growth the past 3 weeks :D plus oilings and scalp masssages. What updos work best for you guys? for me its a gibson tuck sooo prettty! :) good luck with growth everyone! thanks for starting a great thread!

I'm new and determined to grow out my layers as well. I'm wondering about keeping or loosing the bangs. I've kept them partly because of the pain of the awful stages and partly because I felt they soften the look (I'm pushing 52 (OMG!@!))

So, Does the Monistat really boost the growth factor that much?

The Gibson Tuck: Is that what they call that loose up-do on the Franklin Mint Gibson Bride? I love the hair of that era! And the riding skirts of the turn of the century to - Big Valley era :guns:(?)!

rymorg2
January 18th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Another shoulderlength-er here...

My hair is 19", or collarbone on me. Hoping I have good growth continue so that I can get to APL in the next few months. I have between 3 and 4 inches to go. (I either have high armpits, or a short neck or something. LOL.....

In March I was at 25" when I cut, just about BSL. I want it BACK! If I hadn't cut I'd have probably been about waist now. GRRR.......

suicides_eve
January 20th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I'm new and determined to grow out my layers as well. I'm wondering about keeping or loosing the bangs. I've kept them partly because of the pain of the awful stages and partly because I felt they soften the look (I'm pushing 52 (OMG!@!))

So, Does the Monistat really boost the growth factor that much?

The Gibson Tuck: Is that what they call that loose up-do on the Franklin Mint Gibson Bride? I love the hair of that era! And the riding skirts of the turn of the century to - Big Valley era :guns:(?)!

yes i was gaining any where from 1/2" to 1" a month more my average monthly growth was about 1.5" or 2" in the summer.

Lisa Marie
January 22nd, 2009, 06:49 AM
I'm at 19 inches, though the front is a little shorter and have a little layering to grow out. It's very awkward right now--haven't found a good updo that works as my hair is very thick, yet it's starting to get long enough to rub on winter clothes and tangle. Grrr!

I might start oiling heavily and try updos again and see if they'll hold any better.

backtolonghair
January 22nd, 2009, 08:30 AM
Yep, I"m at shoulders right now as well.. It can be a frustrating length but I keep thinking that I"ve come this far.. just gotta keep going towards the goal!:)
Have a great day everyone!:disco: ( don't you just love the discoing banana???) haha!

Silver & Gold
January 22nd, 2009, 08:40 AM
Count me in. Just below shoulders in the back and just below chin at the shortest bang layers.

After hanging around the "Shorties" group for a while several of us agreed we needed a transitional group so I created one called "Betwixt and Between" (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/group.php?groupid=160) come join us!

MamaGigi
January 24th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I have just found this website in my quest to find lovely long hairstyles to give a stylist as a "this is my goal." I've just moved back to the US after 5 years in Germany. I loved the braids I would see at the bierfests. I have never measured my hair before last night and was quite surprised to find it at 18". I started reading at 7:30p and at 4:30a I tried a method of curling my hair that I read on someone's post, while continuing to read. My hubby woke at 8a and laughed at the sight of my hair but if it keeps me from cutting/dyeing/perming my hair again, I'm going to try it. I loved how tangle free my "curls" were. Now I'm looking for any hairstyles I can find to keep my hair interesting through this phase.

**Why, oh why, did I botch my hair, AGAIN?!?!!?**

Anyway, I'm right there with you during my quest for tb/hip length hair.

Just_Isabel
January 24th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I'm at shoulder! :waving: My hair is very close to APL when pulled straight, but I'm going by where it "ends" when curly, so shoulder length it is.

I liked chin length on me, it was cute. Shoulder length is a PITA, especially because I feel that I've been stuck here for so long! I can't wait for APL curly!

howsitgrowin'87
February 27th, 2009, 02:04 AM
yeah, I can't wait to get past that "ARGHH! MY HAIR KEEPS GETTING STUCK IN MY SHIRT COLLAR" feeling, that is the worst part to me!

hanne jensen
February 27th, 2009, 08:05 AM
My hair is just past shoulder but not yet APL. It's so irritating because I have 3 layers in, the shortest at just the end of my neck. A lot of hair updos for this hair length just don't work on me because of all those *&%#* layers.

I guess it's just a stage that we have to get through. I just wish it would pass faster!

lapushka
February 27th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I'm at the point where it's getting comfortable wearing it up. I usually use a stick or a fork, but a ficcare works fine too although I can't do an updo that neatly yet with a ficcare.

Here's a selection of updo's (not that neatly done, had to be quick):

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/1945/010ht0.th.jpg (http://img15.imageshack.us/my.php?image=010ht0.jpg) http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8819/008lj8.th.jpg (http://img8.imageshack.us/my.php?image=008lj8.jpg) http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2554/001kn4.th.jpg (http://img15.imageshack.us/my.php?image=001kn4.jpg) http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/9674/005pd8.th.jpg (http://img27.imageshack.us/my.php?image=005pd8.jpg)
Alesis218 stick (LHC swap) - Indigo Royalwood Ketylo - Maximas Eggplant (LHC swap) - Ficcarissimo Silver

wavy ivy
February 27th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I have shoulder-length hair (avatar pics are from when my hair was at its longest-- I've cut it since then). I really hate having shoulder-length hair because my face looks better with hair that is chin or around APL or longer. So, this in-between period is really going to be frustrating.

My problem is finding ways to put my hair up. I have long side bangs, and I'm trying to grow them out, too, but they aren't long enough to be put up. Also my hair isn't quite long enough for any types of buns, twists, etc. since it has so many short layers. So frustrating!

Country Cowcurl
March 7th, 2009, 06:59 PM
argh, i guess i'm in this club :( haha.....i have an assymetrical a-line which is super cute but doesn't loan itself to ponytails, up-do's, or anything practical.....

any tips??

HairyCarrie
March 7th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Oh S&G I was just going to recommend Betwixt and Between too! And thanks to you for creating that social group.

It's interesting seeing the inches listed for "shoulder length" by everyone. I always regretted not having a beautiful swan neck, but in my personal race to length I quess a short neck lets me be in this group a lot faster! :gabigrin:

curls2grow
March 7th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I am sooo joining this thread -- just discovered it. I have been hovering at shoulder length (when my hair is dry/curlly) for way too long -- now that I want to grow to APL, of course. So now I am going to read the prior posts to catch up. :D
ETA: I stretched my curls out last night and I am definitely APL that way, but it doesn't count! So I am still a shoulder-length sister probably until at least the end of 2009.

angeldance
March 8th, 2009, 12:20 AM
I still have a Little way to go before I'm at ALP, but have admit, once it got past shoulder it seems to be growing faster, oops don't want to jinks myself!!!:)

Samitra
March 8th, 2009, 01:24 AM
I'm in! My hair is just past collarbone, but the shortest layers have still two or three inches to go before reaching shoulders.

It feels as if I've been at shoulderlenght forever.

drquartz1970
March 8th, 2009, 01:38 AM
I am just past shoulder length now. The Summer period (Dec-Feb) my hair grew quickly and thankfully the worst of the awkward stage is behind now that the front forehead bangs can now go tuck comfortably behind the ears. I sometimes do get the hair in the mouth when eating!

The hair ends stick up a bit on the sides when brushing against the shoulders which is a bit of a nuisance but that will be gone in another few months or so. I can put most of my hair into a pony tail except the front bangs.

Just_Isabel
March 8th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I am sooo joining this thread -- just discovered it. I have been hovering at shoulder length (when my hair is dry/curlly) for way too long -- now that I want to grow to APL, of course. So now I am going to read the prior posts to catch up. :D
ETA: I stretched my curls out last night and I am definitely APL that way, but it doesn't count! So I am still a shoulder-length sister probably until at least the end of 2009.

Curls2grow, I think we're hair siblings. :D
Your hair looks a lot like mine, just a bit curlier and longer (based on your sig pic), but close enough. :)

ETA: After looking at your album I see that you're a good bit curlier. - Hair cousins, then. :lol:

(Sorry for the hijack.)

curls2grow
March 8th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Siblings, cousins, whaddevah! Happy to be hanging around here in such good company, no matter how we're all related! :D

kschr2004
March 8th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I guess I'm back in this club now, after a drastic chop. Hopefully it will grow a few inches longer before October, when I go to my 20 year high school reunion...

Debra83
March 8th, 2009, 05:14 PM
This must be the longest phase ever!!! Shoulders must have a strong gravitational pull or something!!! I can't wait to get out of their atmosphere!

lapushka
March 8th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I'm guessing I'll be APL in the summer or thereabouts. Hanging in there!

Samitra
March 9th, 2009, 03:09 AM
I'm guessing I'll be APL in the summer or thereabouts. Hanging in there!

Me too, if I don't trim it.

But now to something different: what kind of updos are you doing with your shoulderlenght hair?
I'm an updo-idiot, with fine layered hair, and the only updos I can do are french twists (or a peacock twists), dutch or english braids, ponytails and scrunchie buns. Is shoulderlenght hair too short to put in other updos or do I just need to practice?

stargazer028
March 11th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Im in too!!!;) My hair is at collarbone length and its be driving me nuts the last few days, its wavy so it just does its own thing, I cant wait for it to get a bit longer so its not so wild, I also cut about 3 inches off my fringe which I totally regret now because of the waves, grow hair grow!!

lapushka
March 11th, 2009, 03:23 PM
But now to something different: what kind of updos are you doing with your shoulderlenght hair?
I'm an updo-idiot, with fine layered hair, and the only updos I can do are french twists (or a peacock twists), dutch or english braids, ponytails and scrunchie buns. Is shoulderlenght hair too short to put in other updos or do I just need to practice?

I do what you do, french twists, peacock twists mostly, sometimes a ponytail, or ponytails/braids. Anything else is pretty much beyond reach at this point. I use sticks, flexi8's, ficcare's, and elastic bands mostly and my updo's are usually very messy still.