PDA

View Full Version : Long hair and diving

winter
December 12th, 2008, 01:38 AM
So I've started my diving course, PADI Open Water Diver, and I have trouble keeping my hair in a good place. Yesterday on my first pool dive I hade it in a braided bun, but that was no good because I couldn't get the mask to fit properly because the bun was in the way.
The instructors suggested that I braid my hair and tuck it under the wet suit, but I worry about tangles, and also that I won't be able to move my head as freely with the braid pinning it in place.

So I need suggestions on how to keep my hair while diving, both using a wet suit and a dry suit (we'll use dry suits for our outdoor dives next weekend.)

missmanytoes
December 12th, 2008, 08:23 AM
I wear goggles while swimming and found that the bun must either be very low (as low to the nape as possible) or very high in order to accomodate the strap. I generally put it in a high pony and then bunned into an infinity. I use dymondwood sticks for swimming.

The swim goggles I have did not allow me to switch out the strap or I would have swapped it out for a "slappy" I think they are also called "slap straps". They are neoprene replacement straps for dive masks and are very hair friendly compared to the silicone straps. Anyway. I slit the slappy on my dive mask and was able to place the bun in it's normal location and put the straps on the mask above and below the bun with success. So maybe you can find something comparable. Or if your dive mask alread has a split strap you could try just putting one on top and the other below the bun.

As for the dry suit I have no suggestion because I've never had to deal with one. Perhaps you could borrow the hood before the dive so that you can practice at home? I would suggest lots of conditioner to prevent breakage when you take the hood on and off. And have a great time diving!

Akiko
December 12th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I have never worn a dry suit since I used to scuba dive a lot only in subtropical and tropical regions. I don't think tucking in the suit will work well as it becomes harder to move your head freely.

For a wet suit, I braid my hair. It is a little hard to undo the braid when the hair is wet. So when you wash your hair after diving, you can condition first. Not braiding cause lots more tangles, though.

A bun does not work for me. If it's too high, I cannot wear goggles as you experienced. If it's too low, it is in the way of the high collar of the suit or just feel too bulky back there.

My hair has been at BSL. So not as long as yours. Maybe you can simply braid, then fold in half and tie with elastics? Thinner scruncy might be easier to untie. It is probably not a good idea to let a long braid float in the water as it might get caught in something you don't expect such as regulator, tank valve, rocks, invisible fishing line floating at the bottom of the sea..

Especially fishing line is dangerous. I witnessed a fatal accident. Always carry a diving knife with you. A small one is good enough. I have never been caught in lines myself. But you never know what is out there. A small knife will save your life.

memphisluvr
December 12th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I use a caterpillar pony tail. Pulling it back at the crown gives the mask strap a nice place to rest and then the line of ponytailers down the length help keep it together and safe.

I've never been able to figure out how to keep the sides of my mask from breaking hair though. There are clips on mine that are just ravenous when it comes to hair.

winter
December 12th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the tips, still haven't decided what to do. I was thinking maybe two braids wrapped around could work, if they stay in place. My hair is very slippery, pins wants to fall out all the time.

They mentioned using panty hose to put the hair in for the dry suit, maybe I'll get more information tomorrow. Dry suit is necessary here, the water is about 4 degrees Celsius now, and can get colder if we are unlucky.

Akiko
December 12th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Dry suit is necessary here, the water is about 4 degrees Celsius now, and can get colder if we are unlucky.

OMG, that's so cold. Brrrr. You are not going to wear a hood?

winter
December 12th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I'm not sure, we haven't gone through the dry suit yet, think that'll be on Monday :) Luckily there is no ice, if it were we wouldn't be allowed to dive (obviously).

Akiko
December 12th, 2008, 11:59 AM
You might want to ask in advance whether you are going to wear a hood and what kind (wet or dry) and what type of inner surface it has, i.e., slippery, rubbery, cloth, merino wool, etc. That might help you decide what to do with your hair.

Anje
December 12th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I'd try a high bun, which could go above a single goggle strap, or between split straps. Cover with a lycra swim cap, if you can get one by then (or do pantyhose now, swim cap later). I imagine if you make it flat, it will fit in a hood, too. I'm thinking that a cap of some sort will hold everything in place, whether pins slip out or not.

winter
December 13th, 2008, 03:29 PM
For this diving session I tried a tucked french braid, and it work better than a bun. Lots of hair still escaped the braid, but it held very well for the three hours we spent in the pool.

On Monday I'll probably get to know what kind of dry suit we'll use for the outdoor dives.

Sinisiew
December 28th, 2010, 03:22 AM
I'm so happy this thread exists, I'll be diving this spring as well, also going for the CMAS*, I'm diving in Sweden as well so I'll be dealing with the same issues about drysuits and pool dives that you do, please wirte more about how it went and how you solved the issues you experienced :-)

And happy diving!:cheese:

UltraBella
December 28th, 2010, 04:37 AM
I always French braid my hair when diving and then I put additional ponytail holders all the way down my braid to keep hairs from escaping. I space them about three or four inches apart. Then I take the ponytail holder near the nape of my neck and loop my braid through so it is folded in half. It stays really well for me. The French braid keeps my hair flat enough against my head that my snorkel clips do not break any hairs.

Marjolein
December 28th, 2010, 05:06 AM
I also recommend french braiding your hair when scuba-diving. A regular braid will come loose pretty easily, but french braids tend to stay put during the whole dive.

Also, a neoprene strap (or wrap around your regular mask straps) works wonders in saving your hair from breakage!

I'm CMAS 2star certified, have lot's of fun (and stay warm - Swedish water in wintertime - yikes!) during your first open water dive!!

winter
December 28th, 2010, 05:49 AM
When diving with a dry suit I wear a nylon stocking on my head and stuff my hair under it to keep it safe from the neck lining when I put the dry suit on and off. Otherwise you'll loose quite some hairs every time :)
It also helps with putting on the hood.

In warm water I use a Buff to protect my hair. I look a bit funny, but my hair loves it.

torrilin
December 28th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Seconding or thirding the swim cap. I haven't used one much in the past, since they tend to be more useful for hair past BSL. But if you soak your hair with water and do a tucked French braid under the cap, things should stay in place very securely.

CherrySilver
December 28th, 2010, 07:19 PM
You could try using a scuba "do rag" to put over your head to prevent breakage from the mask strap. I tried this when diving, and it worked just fine. My hair is about as long as yours, and I just stuck my braid in the back of my wetsuit -- worked just fine.

Happy diving!