PDA

View Full Version : natural chelating recipe?

longhairdreams
March 24th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Its been awhile,but i remember someone posting a recipe for a natural chelator.

It had citric acid in it and a vitamin? C or E .I'm not sure.If anyone remembers this I would be very happy.
I bought a couple of shampoo's for hard water cause my water was drying my hair out so bad nothing worked on it anymore and it was starting to break and split at the ends.They worked once or twice but the protein in them is insane so now my hair is worse than before and breaking all down the length.:steam

It annoying when you fix one problem only to run into a bigger one.So please if anyone can remember it would be a huge help to me.:smooch:

Gothic Lolita
March 25th, 2008, 08:00 AM
I have very hard water here, too. What helps me is a ACV rinse. I had these shampoos before and I think they don't help, but fortunately they didn't affect my hair.

Unnamed
March 25th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I just use citric acid for clarifying off the hard water junk. Baking soda/shampoo paste doesn't get it, and a vinegar rinse just makes things worse. Usually a bit of citric acid in water for a rinse will do it and keep things relatively happy.

For proportions or more specifics, might want someone else to answer that as I use what's probably a strong mix and don't rinse it out. :oops:

I've not tried actual chelating shampoos, and I didn't know there was an actual recipe for a natural one, so no help on what the other ingredient(s) might be.

akurah
March 25th, 2008, 12:47 PM
To be able to chelate, you need something that will bind to the minerals/metals left in your hair by your water. I honestly can't think of any natural ingredients that do that (but that doesn't mean there aren't any, it just means I don't know).

Henna is a natural chelator, if memory serves, but it also colors, so.

walkinglady
March 25th, 2008, 04:03 PM
My water is not only hard but over the last few month has been brown (yuck) off and on. My hair was looking terrible so I started washing and rinsing with miracle water and after a month my hair looks and feels so much better.

Here is the information on miracle water. I saved this to my computer before the old website went down....

I make my water in a gallon water jug right before I get in the shower, I use warm water and add 1/32 of a teaspoon of vitamin c L-ascorbic acid and 1/4 teaspoon of citric acid. I think the key to this is less is more, I didn't want a strongly acidic solution like the standard after-shampoo citric acid rinse (1/4 teaspoon to 2 cups of water). I just wanted enough to chelate the minerals and through trial and error found that 1/4 teaspoon was plenty. I was also worried that if it was too acidic, shampoo and conditioner wouldn't work correctly and that it would dry out my hair.

I based my amount of vitamin c on the information given by the Vitashower company but am actually using more than necessary just because it's too hard to measure anything smaller, lol (and the little extra doesn't seem to matter). They say that 1 gram of vitamin c will dechlorinate 100 gallons of water (but they don't say how much chlorine/chloramine that water contains), meaning 10 milligrams would dechlorinate 1 gallon. My bottle of ascorbic acid says that 1/2 teaspoon contains 2.25 grams so 1/32 of a teaspoon is more than enough. I did test my water with strips I got from the pet store to make sure the chlorine/chloramine was gone.

Unfortunately I do not have the persons name who started the thread. Does anyone else remember?

longhairdreams
March 25th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Thank you very much everyone.Didnt mean to take so long to reply to my own thread.My internet has been down since last night.

Thats exacltly the recipe I was looking for walkinglady! thanks so much.Even if for some reason it doesnt help It couldnt make my hair any worse.

missy60
March 25th, 2008, 09:41 PM
My water is not only hard but over the last few month has been brown (yuck) off and on. My hair was looking terrible so I started washing and rinsing with miracle water and after a month my hair looks and feels so much better.

Here is the information on miracle water. I saved this to my computer before the old website went down....

I make my water in a gallon water jug right before I get in the shower, I use warm water and add 1/32 of a teaspoon of vitamin c L-ascorbic acid and 1/4 teaspoon of citric acid. I think the key to this is less is more, I didn't want a strongly acidic solution like the standard after-shampoo citric acid rinse (1/4 teaspoon to 2 cups of water). I just wanted enough to chelate the minerals and through trial and error found that 1/4 teaspoon was plenty. I was also worried that if it was too acidic, shampoo and conditioner wouldn't work correctly and that it would dry out my hair.

I based my amount of vitamin c on the information given by the Vitashower company but am actually using more than necessary just because it's too hard to measure anything smaller, lol (and the little extra doesn't seem to matter). They say that 1 gram of vitamin c will dechlorinate 100 gallons of water (but they don't say how much chlorine/chloramine that water contains), meaning 10 milligrams would dechlorinate 1 gallon. My bottle of ascorbic acid says that 1/2 teaspoon contains 2.25 grams so 1/32 of a teaspoon is more than enough. I did test my water with strips I got from the pet store to make sure the chlorine/chloramine was gone.

Unfortunately I do not have the persons name who started the thread. Does anyone else remember?

I also have the brown yuck water and I also add this to my bath water I dont get the orange ring around the tub or orange finger nails either. My soap lather so much better it works great. I also use this on my hair to wash and rinse.

Raederle
March 25th, 2008, 09:48 PM
It was Desdemona who originally came up with the recipe.

walkinglady
March 26th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I also have the brown yuck water and I also add this to my bath water I dont get the orange ring around the tub or orange finger nails either. My soap lather so much better it works great. I also use this on my hair to wash and rinse.

No orange ring around the tub! I'm going to have to try this!

walkinglady
March 26th, 2008, 09:01 AM
It was Desdemona who originally came up with the recipe.

Thank you so much! I'm going to put her name next to my copy right now.

missy60
March 26th, 2008, 10:55 AM
No orange ring around the tub! I'm going to have to try this!

I do use more for the bath like about a little less then a tablespoon, but I have been having excellant results. My fingernails are so white now also I use to have to buy Bubble White from Sally's to soak them in but I havent used it since I started doing this. My skin seems to be less dry now also

Wendyp
March 3rd, 2018, 06:00 PM
What is Chelating for? How many people do this?

Chromis
March 3rd, 2018, 06:04 PM
What is Chelating for? How many people do this?

Very hard water. Mineral build up.

Wendyp
March 3rd, 2018, 07:29 PM
Very hard water. Mineral build up.

Omg I think I have hard water! I’m going to have to start doing this!!

Wendyp
March 3rd, 2018, 07:39 PM
How often are you supposed to chelate?

nycelle
March 3rd, 2018, 08:36 PM
Omg I think I have hard water! I’m going to have to start doing this!!

Wendy, do you have water softener? I thought they were common in Fl?
I say this with very limited knowledge though as I only know a few people in Fl (Delray Beach and Miami Beach) but they have them. I've always noticed how soap doesn't lather well when I'm down there, was told that's a sign of hard water.

Wendyp
March 4th, 2018, 08:00 AM
:(
Wendy, do you have water softener? I thought they were common in Fl?
I say this with very limited knowledge though as I only know a few people in Fl (Delray Beach and Miami Beach) but they have them. I've always noticed how soap doesn't lather well when I'm down there, was told that's a sign of hard water.

No I don’t but my dishes always have a film on them:( so I wonder if this has been contributing to my damaged ends. I live on a farm but our water is city water so I assumed I was ok . I’m going to invest in a water softener pronto! And start doing the miracle water! shudder:

Wendyp
March 4th, 2018, 06:45 PM
And my hair feel stotally different after distilled water and ACV as a final rinse! I could have been doing this all along:eek: