PDA

View Full Version : How many hairs do you lose per day?

Beloved
December 11th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I guess this is most reliable from people who wear their hair up and shampoo daily, but I would like to know from everyone. Ideally, estimate the hair you lose in the bathtub/shower, in the towel, in the brush, in your fingers from touching, in your hair accessories.

How much do you lose?

How are you counting? (just from the comb, after a wash or without one, etc.)

Is this your normal loss or are you going through a shed period?

Thanks for participating. :D

EvaSimone
December 11th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I lose about thirty hairs a day... I don't count because that would be ridiculously time consuming but I guesstimate. Of course I probably lose more than that from just random hair falling out during the day but I would say probably no more than 40 hairs per day lately.

I lost a lot more hair when I was anemic, now that my iron isn't crazy low my hair wants to stay attached to my head. :lol:

One thing that helps is just to treat my hair gently, it's braided or bunned and only finger combed. I don't mess with it a lot and I think that's why I don't shed all that much.

Of course now that I've posted my low shed rate I am going to shed a kitten, it's the law of karma. :pray:

Forgot to say that I wash my hair every other day and get it wet sometimes every day because of working out.

chrissy-b
December 11th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I wash/wet my hair three times a week and each time I lose less than 10 hairs. I just cleaned my BBB for the first time in over two months (totally gross I know...sorry) and there was only about 50 hairs.

In September I shed and I was losing anywhere from 25-50 hairs each time I washed and my BBB was FULL after about a week (I didn't count the hairs from that, it was too upsetting).

NebraskaChick84
December 11th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I'm guessing about 20 hairs a day. I try to shower every day but I usually only end up showering about 3x a week.

sahiba
December 11th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I must be losing around 20-25 every day and I know its normal to loose this much , but with hair lose I go :justy:

Arctic
December 11th, 2008, 11:48 PM
I haven't counted, but I loose usually very little hairs. It comes mostly off when I comb. In the shower I don't shed at all or one odd hair. I wash my hair every other day with CWC method, wear my hair up/ braided almost all the time. I think maybe 10-15 hairs a day I notice, probably many I don't notice, but as I said I'm not counting them.
Lately I have been combing less often sometimes skipping a day, and when I comb there seems to be more hairs than normal, but that's just the irregular combing, I think.

Arctic_Mama
December 12th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I'm probably losing closer to 100 or so, but I am in the middle of my postpartum shed. My hair is so thick I don't hardly notice except for a slightly smaller bundle when I go to ponytail my hair. Normally I only lose a few, maybe 20 or so unless its a wash day.

I think this postpartum shed is tapering off finally, though.

Tressie
December 12th, 2008, 12:50 AM
I lose about thirty hairs a day... I don't count because that would be ridiculously time consuming but I guesstimate. Of course I probably lose more than that from just random hair falling out during the day but I would say probably no more than 40 hairs per day lately.

I lost a lot more hair when I was anemic, now that my iron isn't crazy low my hair wants to stay attached to my head. :lol:

One thing that helps is just to treat my hair gently, it's braided or bunned and only finger combed. I don't mess with it a lot and I think that's why I don't shed all that much.

Of course now that I've posted my low shed rate I am going to shed a kitten, it's the law of karma. :pray:

Forgot to say that I wash my hair every other day and get it wet sometimes every day because of working out.
mini hijack warning! I'm sorry for this, but when I read .........."shed a kitten"! I nearly fell over laughing!!!!!!!!!!! Oh lordy, that was a good one! I think that's how much I shed in a week's time.

I "shed a kitten"! A medium sized kitten! (o: Sorry, Sorry! It's past time for me to be sleeping!

EvaSimone
December 12th, 2008, 01:28 AM
mini hijack warning! I'm sorry for this, but when I read .........."shed a kitten"! I nearly fell over laughing!!!!!!!!!!! Oh lordy, that was a good one! I think that's how much I shed in a week's time.

I "shed a kitten"! A medium sized kitten! (o: Sorry, Sorry! It's past time for me to be sleeping!

Always glad to provide some comedy relief... I think we should start describing our shedding in kitten sizes; itty bitty, tiny, small, med, large, and fat kitten sized.. :D

I am silly too so don't worry!

Calanthe
December 12th, 2008, 02:16 AM
At a guess...a tiny kitten :D. Most is lost while combing in the morning. During shedding time it's more - a medium kitten, I'd say.

frogette
December 12th, 2008, 03:19 AM
I have never counted, but I shed an insane amount of hairs. I've stopped worrying about it, since it's been happening for years and the hair on my head doesn't look like it's thinning. My SO sometimes freaks out over it, though, and I do once in a while too, like when I see the floor of the shower littered with hairs after a shampoo (I shed a weaned kitten each time I shampoo).

vampodrama
December 12th, 2008, 09:47 AM
It seems to me that I shed a lot. but then again, I have always been shedding a lot. I don't have a lot of hair (a thin variety of ii thickness) so I tend to freak out a lot about it, but I don't think there's anything I can do about it.

mira-chan
December 12th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Squirrels during my yearly Autumn shed. Otherwise I'd guess 20 hairs on average. Some days I get 2 hairs others, a hamster size ball. Depending how long it was since I finger combed or combed.

Alana2000
December 12th, 2008, 10:07 AM
About 80 per day... but I hear one sheds less the longer it gets... is there any truth to that?

morguebabe
December 12th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I have no idea.
I think I loose more than normal , I've never counted. Someone on here once suggestion the reason I think I loose more than I probablly do is since my hair is longish, when balled up it looks like alot.
Shrugs.
I dont know some days I dont comb it, some days I finger comb, some days I oil some days I dampen, it depends on the day.

Carolyn
December 12th, 2008, 10:43 AM
My best guess is I shed about 50-70 hairs per day unless I'm having a shedding period. I wash every 2-3 days and do a good BBB'ing right before I wash.

Speckla
December 12th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I lose the average 100 or so hairs per day. (yes, I've counted)
________
Marijuana vaporizers (http://weedvaporizer.info/)

Addy
December 12th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I'd guesstimate that I lose anywhere from 15-30 hairs a day.

I don't comb before I wash and I'll lose a little in the shower and once I comb, I drag my hand down the length and have abot 10-20 hairs, really, not much at all.

girlcat36
December 12th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I lose the average 100 or so hairs per day. (yes, I've counted)

Speckla, I was losing like that too. Since I have thin hair it really worried me. Scalp massage drastically cut down the shedding.

Now I lose about 30 a day, I think.
I wet my hair 3 times a week, but only use a tiny bit of shampoo twice a week.

Kirin
December 12th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I generally shed enough every day to knit myself a medium size dog.

beehives
December 12th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I feel like I shed an awful lot, especially considering how naturally thin my hair is. I'd say anywhere from 50-100 per day, depending on the season.

Like others said though, it's always been like this, so it's no big deal.

Nevermore
December 13th, 2008, 03:00 AM
I would say that on an average day, I lose 30 hairs. I usually CO nightly, though that's changing now that I'm testing a mostly water only wash method. Tonight I did a scalp massage and I would guess that I got 50 shed hairs (a hamster sized ball) during that, but I didn't lose any more after that and only two or so before. This is normal for me.

I rarely, if ever, lose hair in towels or during the actual hair washing now. Before though, when I used shampoo, I'd shed a rat-sized ball each time I did anything with my hair. It was insane, looking back, but I thought it was normal. After my reaction to shampoo recently, I think I was always allergic to sulfates and that's why I was shedding so much.

Ryanne
December 13th, 2008, 03:37 AM
I've never counted the hairs. It feels like a shed a lot, especially in the shower, but it never get thinner.

rhubarbarin
December 13th, 2008, 06:58 AM
100-150 hairs a day. I have counted a few times.

I have always been a big shedder, my mom is too.

I wear my hair down a lot, but it's curly so not many loose hairs escape. I wash every few days and get an enormous hairball. I don't brush or comb dry hair.