PDA

View Full Version : Didn't work, does work, ......now? Am I alone?

Kirin
December 11th, 2008, 07:12 PM
What in the name of............?

A year ago, i bought a 1 lb tub of virgin coconut oil, and it was a disaster, my hair hated it, and I'd break out terribly at my hairline. Instead I used carrot oils, and in the past few weeks, Africa's best Ultimate Herbal. Past few days my ends felt like straw, i try the coconut, on dry hair......... instant soft silk. What the?

Does this happen to others or is it just me? Its not just the oil, but shampoos, conditioners, all sorts of things. It'll work for a while, then doesn't......... it didn't work months , weeks, days ago, but now it does? what gives with this? I'm stupefied!

Speckla
December 11th, 2008, 07:14 PM
It can depend on the season/humidity, condition of your hair, what other products you used before...
________
Medical marijuana doctor (http://mmjp.org)

Celebrian
December 11th, 2008, 07:17 PM
No, you're not alone. This is exactly the reason that I am reluctant to throw things out. There is every possibility that I might love them in the months ahead!

I think Speckla is right, as well...

Anje
December 11th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I've had variable results too, particularly with coconut oil. That's probably why the bathroom fills up with half-used tupperwares of past experiments.... Things work for a while, then I try something else and have better luck with it, and just keep rotating.

HairColoredHair
December 11th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Oils are hit and miss for me as well, even my beloved jojoba. :( It also depends how much you put in, how much your hair needs it, how well you wash it out...

I put EVOO in my hair the other week and it went CRUNCH and I was terrified of what it would be like when I washed it out...

It was lovely. :cheese:

DecafJane
December 11th, 2008, 09:38 PM
It happens to me, too. I can't work out what my hair likes, and it changes all the time. It generally feels okay, though, so I 'm not too worried.

chrissy-b
December 11th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Me too.

I rarely used to use EVOO because it often made my hair crunch, but in the last couple of weeks its been the oil I go to when I'm doing a heavy oiling. Don't know why, but I like it.

Hypnotica
December 12th, 2008, 12:13 AM
No, I need to remember to rotate my regim too. It is a pain in the behind sometime to figure out what my hair wants.

Arctic_Mama
December 12th, 2008, 01:19 AM
The thing I have observed about coconut oil with MY hair, at least, is that water and humidity make it crunchy and icky. If my hair is bone dry and I apply it - instant softness, shine, and moisture. Even slightly damp? Frizz, crunch, ick ick ick. I tested this out with oiling my hair post shower, then when it was barely damp, them completely dry and the results were clear - oiling, for me, is a dry-only affair unless it is as a prewash!

Katze
December 12th, 2008, 02:33 AM
same here, though not necessarily coconut oil. I have to be very careful with oil of any kind because my ends are so fine and thin and get crunchy very easily.

But many kinds of product or routine are like this for me. It will work for a while, then stop working, then work again once my hair/scalp have had a "break." 'Cones, WO, sulfate-free, are all like this. I just figure my hair is picky somehow...there doesn't seem to be an explanation.

Loviatar
December 12th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Me too Kirin.

I was reading my old journal where I explained how oils hate me and my hair. Now I oil my hair about 3-4 times a week, and use almond oil as face moisturiser.
I have times when cones and sulphates make my hair look amazing and times when they make my hair stringy and my scalp irritated.
There are various sulphate free shampoos that work and various ones that make my hair into a matted mess.
Conefree CO either gives me wonderful results or turns me into an oil slick.

The only thing I can agree on being consistently wonderful is my hair toys - and recently even they are being a pain now my hair is longer! :lol:

Kirin
December 12th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Its crazy, I have bottles and tubs of stuff...... works great when i first try it (or not) then its the opposite days later. Its driving me nuts! Good to know i'm not alone though!

lora410
December 12th, 2008, 02:30 PM
No it's no just you. My hair used to hate cones and then all the sudden loved them and hated non-cones. I think our hair has a mind of its own.

girlcat36
December 12th, 2008, 02:34 PM
My hair pretty much hates everything! I think of it as special needs hair.

Eden Iris
December 12th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I get the same thing, only more often it's something that my hair loves and then, inexplicably, can't stand. What's driving me insane right now is that shampoo bars, which worked great for years, turn my hair into lank strings. Same bars. I tried clarifying, which works great, and then the very next wash, lank strings.

spidermom
December 12th, 2008, 04:19 PM
When I first tried oiling my hair, it was nasty. I had bad ends at the time, though. I felt that they were in such bad shape they simply could not absorb any oil. Oil gives great benefit now. I haven't really noticed any change with other products.

AnimaSola3o4
April 5th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I do this too! Actually for me it's rotating between using cones and not using cones! After too long of either one, my hair starts to get unhappy.... so I switch, and instant happiness! Then the process repeats itself.... and so on.

I'm using that Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil too, but my friends complain about the smell!! I wish there was an odorless oil I could dilute this with, but it so agrees with my hair so I hate to just stop using it all together!!

ETA: I also wish the company would make an un-fragranced version, that would be ideal!!!

Natalia
April 5th, 2009, 06:09 PM
This happens to me too! People think im nuts that my hair "changes it's mind" but it does! It can be the same product same wheather (humidity/heat or cold/ wind conditions) and one month my hair likes it and a few months later it doesnt! Its insane making :confused: !

I have cupboard of stuff so i had to start coming up with rules. Like if i was so so about it and this is the third time ive "rediscovered" that i hadnt chucked it X amount of time ago it nees to go. I suddenly became sensitive to sulfates so those are now slowing going as i find them unless i can manage to give them away or use the less irritating for hand soap or such. And i still have masses :p

Cant explain it so i just roll with it and hope i wont need them when i gow out my damage.

Carolyn
April 5th, 2009, 06:18 PM
The routine my hair likes best is CHANGE. So that's what I do. I switch products each wash. If I use anything twice in a row, the second was goes bad. So it's a constant switch from product to product. If something doesn't work, I put it away and try it again later. Sometimes I'll love something months or even years later. If something turns out badly, I know a fix is just to wash it again the next day. Not a big deal. I think changing products around is a fairly common practice.

Suldrun
April 5th, 2009, 06:35 PM
My hair is the same way. i think that the problem is our hair is not like our skin. it cannot austomatically produce more oil ( on the length) if its too dry or less if its too mosturised.

I have learned to know what my shampoos and bars do some moisturize some are more cleansing and some have protien.

I detangle my hair once in the morning and once in the evening. I have gotten in the habit of feeling and looking at my hair, scalp and ends. I also take the shed hairs and tug on them. If I have lots of broken little hairs and my hair snaps then i know I need more moisture ( this has happened to me when I use protien or cones or stretch my washings too long, my hair needs to get wet) I have never had my hair too springy so I stopped using anything with protien in it.

I just check my hair before shampooing. Sometimes I do a deep oil treatment the night before if it seems dry. I also use different shampoo bars on my scalp and legnth. I have gotten pretty good at knowing what my hair needs but I am by no means perfect and sometimes I just have no friggin clue lol. I just try and make the best guess of what my hair needs at the time.

It changes daily because our lengths cannot adjust so something that moiturises at first which is what the hair needs at that time may be great so we keep using it but then it may get over moisturised and all of a sudden out hair is not happy. The same with protien and oils I think.

I do have a pretty good routine though. I use a cleansing bar on scalp and a moisturising one on the legnth ( this worked all winter but now is to moisturising so i switched to a more nuetral bar on the length and I only do the legnth if I have over oiled, other then that I just scalp wash with a shampoo bar) Then I use a mild vingar rinse and then a catnip rinse. This has been working well with little tweaks here and there.

JamieLeigh
April 5th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Everything is trial-and-error with hair care, it seems. Some things work, others don't...usually if you give something a good length of time while you're trying it out (at least two weeks, at best a month or two) then you can really tell whether it's just a getting-used-to-it thing or a my-hair-hates-it thing. So no, it's not just you. ;)

And sometimes your hair just likes a change every once in awhile!

Tangles
April 5th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Yeah, I hate this too. Diva hair. I've noticed this with EVOO, Jojoba oil, certain conditioners (like Aubrey Organics), and coney serums.