PDA

View Full Version : I've never actually SEEN one break before!

MandaMom2Three
December 11th, 2008, 02:48 PM
:shudder: I was S&Ding and finding a whole ton of splits. BAD ones, like tree branches!!!! I see one that also had a knot about half an inch up. I picked it up by the end to snip just above the knot and the hair BROKE OFF!!! I've heard of this happening but I'd never actually SEEN it happen!! I have been finding so many splits the past couple of days :( . I'm almost tempted to just cut it all off chin length to get rid of all the stupid layers and damaged ends and start with fresh hair, but of course then I look at the length and say FORGET THAT!!!! I'm going to start doing catnip rinses again. Yikes :confused:

LadyGunn
December 11th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I've had ones that have the little white dot & it'll break off there if I pull gently. I don't do that anymore since discovering all y'all but still have massive amounts of splits. I thought I was getting a handle on it with the S&D-ing but then pulled some from the back of my head and yikes! It was bad. It's crossed my mind several times to cut off 6 inches or so but that makes me shudder. I'll just start dusting once it's more fully waist length.

PM me if you ever get desperate to cut & I'll scream "NOOOOOO" for you. ;)

Redheaded Raven
December 11th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Hang in there! It will get better. I just cut 10 inches to get rid of whispy ends and splits:rolleyes: Having to cut is yucky. But nice ends makes it worth it.:)

Speckla
December 11th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Be patient, baby your hair and it'll grow out and be healthier and stronger! I pwomise!
________
How to roll joints (http://howtorollajoint.net/)

Carolyn
December 11th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Yeah those little breaking off can be scary :scared: I'm sitting here doing an massive S & D session on my braid tassel :gabigrin: Keep on with snipping the splits. Later on you may want to trim a small bit off the hemline to keep it even and full but usually there is no need to go from BSL to chin length. Be sure to keep those ends moisturized and protected.

jojo
December 11th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Noooo don't cut! I find loads of splits, branches? heck I have a whole forrest but I just do a good couple of hours S&Ding and then I put a deep conditioner on and im happy. Long hair and splits are like peas and carrots (as a certain Forrest Gump would say!!) theygo together! Just do lots of deep conditionings and try putting a little oil on your ends to protect!

Alana2000
December 11th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I know I am new to long hair and everything, but now might be a good time to put oil on it and put it up and out of sight for a couple of weeks. It might take the edge off the temptation to cut.

Angellen
December 11th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Oh, I know what you mean. Largely I think my hair looks great, then I find these massive multi-splits and such. It can be scary and shocking at first, I know what you mean. I hope you weren't too traumatized, those splits can show up even on the nicest hair. ;)

MandaMom2Three
December 11th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I oil the ends every day :p and deep moisture too. Oh and don't worry, I'd sooner cut off my arm than my hair! I trimmed about 1/2 and inch last month from the LAST split causing experiment and I vows that was IT, no more trimming, just S&D. It's just annoying! I can go DAYS without seeing the tiniest split, then I try something new and I am rewarded by raindeer antlers at the end of every hair!!!! :rant: I think I'll buy myself a nice new pair of S&D scissors :rolleyes:

Rain76
December 11th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I have HORRIBLE breakage around the ponytail holder area (I am really trying not to wear ponytails anymore!) so I know how frustrated you are. I am not familiar with S&D, though. I know it stands for search & destroy (split ends in this case), but I don't see how that will help them. All it will do is make it take longer for them to grow out, won't it? I am not ready to cut or trim my hair, as it is not even at APL yet. I am trying to baby it more, and I am going to start doing the catnip rinses. I just bought a 2lb. container @ Petsmart:)

Beloved
December 11th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I'm a fan of a small trim when things start to look rugged. I definitely don't think you should cut all of you layers off in one fell swoop. I'm talking about 1/2 inch to 1 inch. That can make a huge difference even though you'd think it wouldn't.

MandaMom2Three
December 11th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Yes, I was surprised at how nice my ends looked after a 1/2 inch trim last month!

Arctic
December 11th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I have HORRIBLE breakage around the ponytail holder area (I am really trying not to wear ponytails anymore!) so I know how frustrated you are. I am not familiar with S&D, though. I know it stands for search & destroy (split ends in this case), but I don't see how that will help them. All it will do is make it take longer for them to grow out, won't it? I am not ready to cut or trim my hair, as it is not even at APL yet. I am trying to baby it more, and I am going to start doing the catnip rinses. I just bought a 2lb. container @ Petsmart:)

It's very beneficial to cut the individual split ends and damaged hairs off from several reasons: First the damage tends to travel up the hairshaft with time, so S&D prevents this further damage from happening, secondly damaged hair tends to be tangly, it amazing how a S&D session will make the hair much easier to comb, and because tangles can cause damage, preventing tangles prevents damage. Third is an aesthetic reason, depending on the hair and the amounth of splits/damage they can be very visible. There are propably other reasons too but I haven't got my morning coffee yet so my brains aren't working :coffee:
HTH!

Arctic
December 13th, 2008, 04:01 AM
I remember one more reason: Often split ends (etc) are higher up on the hair shaft than a regular small trim would reach.

julya
December 14th, 2008, 12:59 AM
I kind of like breaking off the ends with the white dots, does that make me an oddball? I don't do S&D that often, but I do snap off the ends with the white dots... I find it strangely satisfying.

vampodrama
December 14th, 2008, 01:46 AM
I kind of like breaking off the ends with the white dots, does that make me an oddball? I don't do S&D that often, but I do snap off the ends with the white dots... I find it strangely satisfying.

haha me too!

when I S&D, I often break the hair by those white dots, and then cut off the broken end... it is oddly satisfying, kinda like... some other gross things we sometimes do with out bodies (you know, like peeling off dead skin from your calluses or whatever...)