PDA

View Full Version : Best Brush for Fine, Wavy Hair?

UP Lisa
December 11th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I have not been brushing or combing my hair at all in order to avoid breakage, but I think I am going to have to start brushing a little to keep tangles out. Can anyone recommentd a good brush that won't break all of my hair off?

Debra83
December 11th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I just read in another thread about the Tangle Teazer that seems to be the craze - and according to testimonies here and elsewhere, it really works...less breakage, easy brushing, etc. I don't have one, yet, so I can't say yay or nay!!!

lapushka
December 11th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I only use a wide-toothed comb at the moment. Works just fine. I do have a brush, it's a 50% BB / 50% nylon brush but I used to only use it right before washing. Right now I only comb my hair with the wide-toothed comb right after washing, with my hair soaking wet, preferably while applying conditioner (but usually just soaking wet right after shampooing).

UP Lisa
December 11th, 2008, 01:27 PM
It seems I can't comb my hair at all without breaking hairs. I can just hear them breaking.

spidermom
December 11th, 2008, 01:36 PM
A paddle brush with no balls on the ends of the bristles. The base should be flexible and the bristles soft. I can recommend the Goody Jojoba Oil Infused brush. It's so soft and flexible that I don't think it could rip through tangles if I wanted it to. It should be available at well-stocked drug stores like WalMart or Rite-Aid.

UP Lisa
December 11th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Thanks, Spidermom. I know you mentioned that before. I'll have to look for it at Walmart.

dancingbarefoot
December 11th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Denman D5! :D I can't recommend it highly enough. (ETA: I'm assuming you mean a brush to use on dry hair.)

Katze
December 12th, 2008, 01:56 AM
I feel like I get tangles out better with fingers or a wide toothed comb.

After detangling BF's hair in the bathtub with conditioner on it, I've been doing the same myself - using a wide toothed comb and lots of conditioner on the ends. He's a thick, fine wavy, and I'm a thin, fine semi-wavy, so his hair tends to dread up and mine tends to get spiderwebby and break at the ends when it gets tangled.

I do occasionally brush, and then I use only a BBB. But I have to be very careful and NOT detangle with a brush, or then go very, very slowly - the BBB seems to rip my ends if I am not careful.

MerryKat
December 12th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Denman D5! :D I can't recommend it highly enough. (ETA: I'm assuming you mean a brush to use on dry hair.)

I have to agree with dancingbarefoot - the Denman brushes are heaven.

purplebubba
December 12th, 2008, 04:22 AM
I have to agree with dancingbarefoot - the Denman brushes are heaven.

Another Denman vote. I have both the D3 and D5.

UP Lisa
December 12th, 2008, 06:06 AM
I bought one of the Goody Jojoba-infused brushes last night. I separated my hair into two sections, and attempted to brush it very gently. It took a long time to get through it, and I ended up with a lot of hairs in the brush. Hopefully, they were shed hairs. I can't really tell if I like this brush or not. I just hope I didn't break too many hairs off. My hair is thin enough already.

goodenough
December 12th, 2008, 06:31 AM
The tangle teaser is the best for my dd's tangly, fine, slightly wavy hair.

UP Lisa
December 12th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Tangle Teaser? What brand is that?

Deborah
December 12th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Tangle Teezer. Works great! I have a Mason Pearson BBB, a couple of Denmans, and other brushes, but I LOVE my Tangle Teezer. It really does detangle more easily, quickly and gently than anything I have ever used. I also have several very good combs, but like the TT better than them too. I am giving five as Christmas gifts to long haired friends.

You can see it here:

http://www.afrocare.com/catalog/Tangle_Teezer_418.html

That is where I bought all of mine - cheapest place I could find for an American to get them, cheaper than e-bay even.

There is a Tangle Teezer thread on the products forum.

Teacherbear
December 12th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I swear by my Denman! :love:

Demetrue
December 12th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Do you start brushing at the ends first and slowly work up? I use the Goody Jojoba brush on my son, who has a very sensitive scalp and can't stand any kind of brushing or combing. His hair is super fine, pin straight, but only shoulder length in back.

Sissy
December 12th, 2008, 10:45 PM
I might look into tangle teaser, but it seems to expensive. If we were still in London I'd just grab one!

I am quite interested in the Goody Jojoba Oil Infused Brush. Can that be used on wet or dry hair?

Denman's seem popular too... I'll check the shops.

UP Lisa
December 13th, 2008, 09:02 AM
It is meant to be used on dry hair. Also, you can't use it with a blow dryer because the bristles can melt.

WaimeaWahine
December 13th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I had all kinds of issues with both combs and brushes. Finally bought a Conair tourmalne ceramic cushion brush at Walgreens.

Not only have I never had a tangle but it made my hair shinier and for some reason I didn't need oil or conditioner anymore after that. It has also significantly reduced my frizz.

I hope you find something that works for you and meets your needs. :)

Sissy
December 13th, 2008, 11:22 AM
It is meant to be used on dry hair. Also, you can't use it with a blow dryer because the bristles can melt.

Thanks for that info. I do tend to use a blow dryer. One thing I hate about brushes is how fuzz and such gets stuck under the little balls at the end of the brush. It makes it so hard to clean! Did someone in this post say that you should look for a brush without balls on the end? Or is it healthier for hair to have the balls at the end?

The person who said Tourmalne Ceramic Cushion Brush... I've heard Tourmalne ceramic is supposed to be very good.

Thanks,
Sissy

spidermom
December 13th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Look for a brush with no balls on the ends. There is a little space where the bristle inserts into the ball, and hair can get caught in that space and shredded.