PDA

View Full Version : New way to french/dutch braid

SolSara
December 11th, 2008, 06:32 AM
I still have troubles making french/dutch braids. They are ok for bed, but not in public. Anyway, my BFs aunt taught me a little new way to do it, that made it a lot easier for me to make it look tidy. Maybe someone else will find it useful. :)

Normal way of french/dutch braid:
Add extra hair to left strand. Cross left strand over/under the middle strand.
Add extra hair to right strand. Cross right strand over/under the middle strand.
And so on....

Anna-Lena's way:
Add extra hair to left strand.
Add extra hair to right strand.
Cross right strand over/under the middle strand.
Cross left strand over/under the middle strand.

It's such a small change, but it makes all the difference to my french braids. :cheese: You sort of move from left to right to left, and you can always see to it that you add from the same places on both sides, before you do the braid move. :)

Arctic
December 11th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Great idea! I'm sure this will be a big help to many who stugle with these braids!

venividibxtchy
December 11th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I still have troubles making french/dutch braids. They are ok for bed, but not in public. Anyway, my BFs aunt taught me a little new way to do it, that made it a lot easier for me to make it look tidy. Maybe someone else will find it useful. :)

Normal way of french/dutch braid:
Add extra hair to left strand. Cross left strand over/under the middle strand.
Add extra hair to right strand. Cross right strand over/under the middle strand.
And so on....

Anna-Lena's way:
Add extra hair to left strand.
Add extra hair to right strand.
Cross right strand over/under the middle strand.
Cross left strand over/under the middle strand.

It's such a small change, but it makes all the difference to my french braids. :cheese: You sort of move from left to right to left, and you can always see to it that you add from the same places on both sides, before you do the braid move. :)

That's somehow amusing; I do mine the SAME exact way.

eadwine
December 11th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Can someone share a picture with these two next to each other? I think it will look slightly different but hey, if it works! :) Well done :)

arylkin
December 11th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks! For some reason I have never been able to do a french braid- this version seems easier, so I'll have to give it a try! :)

spidermom
December 11th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I'll have to give it a try, but on read-through it sounds like more of a hassle than working one side at a time. I'll try to remember to report back.

tsc
December 11th, 2008, 02:15 PM
That's how I do them! It's the only way I can keep any sort of pattern straight.