PDA

View Full Version : A question about religious hair

dreamhair
December 10th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I didn't want to hijack a thread but I have a question for the apostolic Pentecostals (did I spell that right):

After reading through that poll, I was reading some information about beliefs about hair and was curious about the restriction of braids and why? A simple braid seems much plainer than some of the rolled bun styles that I saw in the links. Is this only some groups or is this every church.

EchoAudra
December 11th, 2008, 12:11 AM
1 Peter 3:3 says that a woman's beauty should not come from outer adornment like braided hair. I tend to think that this applies to any elaborate hair style that may draw attention to oneself but I totally respect those who take it literally to mean no braids.
My experience has been that the rules about hair braiding (and cutting) vary with each congregation.

Curlsgirl
December 11th, 2008, 06:20 AM
1 Peter 3:3 says that a woman's beauty should not come from outer adornment like braided hair. I tend to think that this applies to any elaborate hair style that may draw attention to oneself but I totally respect those who take it literally to mean no braids.
My experience has been that the rules about hair braiding (and cutting) vary with each congregation.

That was very well said EchoAudra. I believe that Paul is referring to women who were trying to draw too much attention away from the real reason for being there which was worship, that is not braids in general. I also totally respect others beliefs about this however.

SaraTaylor16
December 11th, 2008, 06:24 AM
That's a good questions... I didn't even know the apostolic pentecostals were legalistic as far as hair... and that's surprising... because I know my denominations very well... lol.

Curlsgirl
December 11th, 2008, 06:26 AM
That's a good questions... I didn't even know the apostolic pentecostals were legalistic as far as hair... and that's surprising... because I know my denominations very well... lol.

I wouldn't call it legalistic, might be a little offensive to them. And it also varies GREATLY from one congregation to another just like anything else. :)