PDA

View Full Version : When is hair considered long?

Speckla
December 10th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I'm 25" or so and just brushing BSL when my curls are pulled straight. I still feel like my hair is short. When is hair considered long?
________
Elite E (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_Elite_E)

Arctic
December 10th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Hanging around here has changed my view of "long" quite a bit, lol! Let's see, before LHC I thought midback length was crazy long :D

Aisha25
December 10th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I'd say tailbone would be considered long:) but I think my own hairs is short so dont listen to me:lol:

Euphony
December 10th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Well I haven't measured my hair for a while (I always forget), but I can shove about an inch of the tips in my back pocket and I still feel like my hair is short. So my answer to your question is ~longer hair than mine at any given moment :D

longhairenvy
December 10th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Wow, you all don't consider your hair to be long??????? Ok, I'm a newbie so maybe my definition of long is off; I would say BSL is long. I think MOST normal people (and let's face it, we're hardly normal, but it's no fun being normal anyway) would consider long to be anything to shoulders and beyond???

NebraskaChick84
December 10th, 2008, 07:22 PM
my hair is short and it's APL.

I woke up one morning and actually tucked my hair in my pants along with my shirt (HS) at that point I said to myself "wow my hair is long now" so I guess if you can tuck it in your pants it's long. to me anyway ;)

RavennaNight
December 10th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I don't know. Mine still feels short, at past-BSL-approaching-waist. Maybe when it gets stuck in my pants? I think it's them lengthorexia phenomenon.

RavennaNight
December 10th, 2008, 07:25 PM
nebraskachick we pants-posted together. :laugh:

DragonLady
December 10th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Mine is almost hip (Hyp) length, and it's still short. :(

NebraskaChick84
December 10th, 2008, 07:28 PM
nebraskachick we pants-posted together. :laugh:
well you know what they say..."great minds think alike!" ;)

I can't wait until I can tuck my hair into my pants again. it seems so long ago and so far away :(

Fantak
December 10th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I guess it depends where you live ^.^

If the majority of people in your city/town have shoulder length hair or shorter yours would definitely be considered 'long', whereas out here it's not considered long until it's at at least classic length since almost everyone here has waist to hip length hair.

spidermom
December 10th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I declared my hair to be long at APL (I couldn't wait). It didn't feel long until it got to hip length. At tailbone, it's freaking long!

ecologystudent
December 10th, 2008, 07:46 PM
It's weird, because in my head there are two groups designated as long. There is the 'long' as in not 'short' and then there is the 'long' as in what I think of as "long" hair. Does that make any sense? Probably not.

For long-as-in-not-short, I'd say APL. For long-as-in-"long", I'd say below waist length.

AnneAdeline
December 10th, 2008, 07:46 PM
My hair is just past BSL, and I still feel like it is short. I figure once I get to tailbone I may finally consider it long.

HairColoredHair
December 10th, 2008, 07:54 PM
According to hairdressers... past shoulder... but I don't listen to them. :lol:

Cichelle
December 10th, 2008, 07:55 PM
My hair is about tailbone when stretched, but it shrinks up sometimes to midback! Curly hair can make you feel like your hair is short because it just doesn't show its true length if it's not straightened. For the first time I am beginning to feel like my hair is long. I air dried it while it was banded and then brushed it out. Still had shrinkage, but only to my hip instead of my bra strap! And walking around with hip length hair made me think: yeah, my hair is finally long!

So, for my own hair, I guess I consider hip length as long. But on other people, I think I begin to consider long at about waist length.

Miriela
December 10th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Around here, APL to BSL is very common for my age group. I would consider long (in my area, at least) to be waist to hip length.

LawyerGirl
December 10th, 2008, 08:06 PM
So... it seems the answer is: when it is a little longer than where it is, no matter where it is? ;)

wintersun99
December 10th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I considered my hair "long" once it reached APL+ and I guess I feel like this because that is the longest it has been. I suppose once I reach and surpass that point this time around, I will consider any length beyond a great bonus :D

However, in my "area" BSL is quite common, so I would say "long" is waist and beyond.

Ndnlady
December 10th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Hmmm. When you are sitting on the floor or on your bed cross-legged with your hair down and suddenly it feels like a spider is crawling on your thigh, but it turns out it's actually your hair!:)

viking_quest
December 10th, 2008, 08:57 PM
My definition of long is pretty short, when you make a bun without layers or extra hairs falling out.

Akiko
December 10th, 2008, 09:01 PM
According to people around me, my hair is very long. But it's just BSL. Hmmm.

Copasetic
December 10th, 2008, 09:03 PM
long hair itsn't really a binary state, its more of a gradient. its all relative. if i had to provide a rough estimation, i would say that anything past your shoulders is long. this is because pretty much everyone i know has a pixie, bob, or hair that is cut above their shoulders.

Beloved
December 10th, 2008, 09:08 PM
My friend talked about "us with long hair" one day when I was APL. I was so happy. :bounce: This was like a year after a hair butcher job.

To me, "regular" long is BSL to upper WL. That's what I thought was long before I came here. APL isn't long.

chainedangel
December 10th, 2008, 09:31 PM
It really depends who you ask. If you asked a person with tailbone they'd say classic or longer. You ask a person with a pixie they'll say shoulder. Long is in the eye of the hair-holder.

jojo
December 10th, 2008, 09:39 PM
To me long hair is the stage where it falls comfortably behind the shoulder and stays but ubber long is hip and below.

SweetPea88
December 10th, 2008, 09:45 PM
For me long hair starts at about BSL+. Although I did just trim my hair 1" and while it's still at waist, I feel like it's short now...

Alun
December 10th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Wow, you all don't consider your hair to be long??????? Ok, I'm a newbie so maybe my definition of long is off; I would say BSL is long. I think MOST normal people (and let's face it, we're hardly normal, but it's no fun being normal anyway) would consider long to be anything to shoulders and beyond???

Nearly everyone here has an idea of long hair that's seriously off! This is probably the wrong place to ask, LOL!

rapunzhell13
December 10th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I consider long hair to be BSL and beyond. I consider very long hair to be between BSL and TBL. I agree with classic being the 'gateway to the super lengths' as others have put it. :D

dreamhair
December 10th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Not on this board, I think Bra strap to waist is considered long.

On this board with some of the lengths I have seen in signatures and such, that is about medium length. Long around here is classic (covering the back side) or more.

Personally I think I am aiming for my 'long' to be around waist.

Deborah
December 11th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Have none of you heard the theme song from the musical, Hair? ...shoulder length or longer... It think that's about right. :)

littlemiss
December 11th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Nearly everyone here has an idea of long hair that's seriously off! This is probably the wrong place to ask, LOL!
I'LL second That :D

Debra83
December 11th, 2008, 12:39 AM
It really depends who you ask. If you asked a person with tailbone they'd say classic or longer. You ask a person with a pixie they'll say shoulder. Long is in the eye of the hair-holder.

Well said!

Before I signed up, I thought waist was longgg. But then since signing up...I've seen pics of floor length...so all of a sudden, my thinking has shifted...the "normal" line is moving down so to speak. I think it depends mostly on what we've been exposed to.

I would be extremely happy if I woke up tomorrow with waist length hair...but now I'm thinking of changing my goal!!! :confused:

Katze
December 11th, 2008, 01:10 AM
I lean on my hair if it's down, it gets caught in zippers, and can roll on it while sleeping. That's at least medium long, to me.

This is the longest it's ever been, so this is long to me. Given the nature and state of my hair (frizzy, fine, layered, still some bleach damage, very thin ends) it doesn't do for me to compare my hair to LHC hair. It may never get "LHC long", but I am enjoying it finally being "long" by my standards.

lizzyjo
December 11th, 2008, 01:16 AM
I consider long hair to be at the length at which people start commenting on it. I think this is around waist length. My next milestone is waist length and I feel that I will have "long" hair when I get there.

Of course, if I were at APL, I would think long hair began at BSL, and if I were at waist length, I would think long hair began at tailbone. It's all relative.

Angellen
December 11th, 2008, 02:42 AM
By non-LHC standards, I think BSL counts as long(ish), but waist+ is officially long. By my own standards, I think my hair classifies as long, but it'll really feel long when I can pile it in my lap. :)

Arctic
December 11th, 2008, 06:15 AM
My hair is now longest it's ever been, and as I have always been a "short haired person" everybody who knows me thinks it's very long now (APL). :D

Islandgrrl
December 11th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I'm just past BSL now and don't consider my hair even close to long. I know it felt crazy long at knee length, which is the longest its ever been. And I remember hip length feeling long...so maybe it'll be somewhere around there. Who knows?

BlackfootHair
December 11th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I'd say tailbone would be considered long:) but I think my own hairs is short so dont listen to me:lol:

If your hair is short, I must be bald! ehhehehehehehe

morguebabe
December 11th, 2008, 07:29 AM
*I* think long hair is hair thats mid back like if you are a girl hair that covers your boobs in the front.. Pretty much waist length hair I consider long. I get annoyed when my friends with APL say they have such long hair.

Curlsgirl
December 11th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I only know that the longer mine gets the shorter it seems. :D

joyfulmom4
December 11th, 2008, 08:07 AM
If you look at fashion and hairstyling websites and magazines, you'll find that any hair past the shoulders gets called "long". APL to BSL is long by most public opinion.

Me, I tend to see hair that is waist length or beyond as "long".

Really long hair is past classic to me.

burns_erin
December 11th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Around here, even brushing the shoulders is considered long, and my APL is considered "really long..don't you think its time to visit the salon." To which I respond, "I did not realize you could take field trips to salons."

But to me, APL is at the least approaching long, I can make buns without anything besides my wispies falling out, and if I do not place an updo carefully I get headaches.

Ryanne
December 11th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I condsider hip length long.

redtea
December 11th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I have longer hair than most of the women where I work, so here it would probably be considered long, although I do occassionally see longer hair when I'm out and about. My hair has been hovering around BSL for a while now (it somehow went from APL to BSL without me noticing!) and in less than a year from now it should be at waist.. then I think it'll be long. Right now it's just kind of long to me. :)

suicides_eve
December 11th, 2008, 09:16 AM
for me i think hair is long when it gets stuck in your arm pits.

Aisha25
December 11th, 2008, 09:32 AM
If your hair is short, I must be bald! ehhehehehehehe
Haha :laugh: see how diluted I am:silly:

teadragon
December 11th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I tend to think of hair as long (or at least "on the long side" or "long-ish") once it's roughly to BSL. Waist is solidly in the "long" category, while hip/tailbone is edging into "very long." Classic and beyond are "very long" to "crazy long" and "wonderful." :D

My actual goal keeps getting longer, so I'm never quite at my goal (doesn't hurt that my hair grows slowly and I'm maintaining to reduce taper), but I do think of my hair as long. I feel that I lost all right to call my hair short the first time I accidentally pinned myself to my bed by leaning on a braid. As it grows, I have more and more moments to that effect.

WritingPrincess
December 11th, 2008, 04:43 PM
In "real life", I usually consider someone's hair long when it reaches waist, and, to me, "real long" (not to be confused with "really long", but meaning, "actually fully long") is around hip to tailbone. :shrug:

Speckla
December 11th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I've never see anyone IRL with hair longer than waist.

I think I'll call my hair long now 'cause it's the longest it has been in nearly 7 years. It was BSL curly before I pixied it.
________
Chrysler Ecovoyager History (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_ecoVoyager)

jojo
December 11th, 2008, 05:04 PM
*I* think long hair is hair thats mid back like if you are a girl hair that covers your boobs in the front.. Pretty much waist length hair I consider long. I get annoyed when my friends with APL say they have such long hair.

I think even at Hip mine wont cover my boobs!:D

jojo
December 11th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I lean on my hair if it's down, it gets caught in zippers, and can roll on it while sleeping. That's at least medium long, to me.

This is the longest it's ever been, so this is long to me. Given the nature and state of my hair (frizzy, fine, layered, still some bleach damage, very thin ends) it doesn't do for me to compare my hair to LHC hair. It may never get "LHC long", but I am enjoying it finally being "long" by my standards. mods please sign this member up to 'Hair anorexics anomnous' Katze your hair is longer than you think, id swap your length for mine anyday hun xx

backtolonghair
December 11th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I think most people consider BSL to be pretty long. I use to think that was long and I still do, but now being on here, I think that waist and beyond is really long. :)

Speckla
December 11th, 2008, 05:09 PM

lol. My hair will never cover my breasts because it'll be curled up to my shoulders even when I can stretch it out to hip.:eyebrows:
________
HONDA CBR125RR SPECIFICATIONS (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_CBR125RR)

sahiba
December 11th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Hmmm. When you are sitting on the floor or on your bed cross-legged with your hair down and suddenly it feels like a spider is crawling on your thigh, but it turns out it's actually your hair!:)

I oncr thought I was attacked by a bunch of cockroaches when after wash I let them open for air dry. Thats when tying wet hair started.

I consider long hair to be at the length at which people start commenting on it.

Same thing I had in mind .But people never comment on my hair :sad

I only know that the longer mine gets the shorter it seems. :D

To me too.:)

:laugh:

I think long hair is when a person actually gets fed up of his/her hair length.

Arctic_Mama
December 12th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Well I haven't measured my hair for a while (I always forget), but I can shove about an inch of the tips in my back pocket and I still feel like my hair is short. So my answer to your question is ~longer hair than mine at any given moment :D

What she said :p

I generally consider 'getting long' to be waist or longer, but I know when I get there it will feel short. It is weird having people call my APL hair long because it is RIDICULOUSLY short to me, but perhaps that makes us, as a community, stranger than them! Either way, my definition and the industry definition differ greatly on this point.

morguebabe
December 12th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Oh lol.
I'm barely an A cup so APL covers my boobs... pretty much.

Akiko
December 12th, 2008, 08:41 AM

:laugh: My boobs are so smallish BSL totally covers my girls.

SHELIAANN1969
December 12th, 2008, 10:37 AM
I used to consider long hair as BSL or longer, now I consider tailbone as long. But now that I am nearing tailbone, I am more of the mentality that Classic is long! :rolleyes:

My percention changes along with my hair length.

Anje
December 13th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Oh lol.
I'm barely an A cup so APL covers my boobs... pretty much.

Snerk. Me too.

I think "long" tends to be when it's longer that what you consider normal for your own hair. Normal for me has always been BSL, so when my hair hit waist or so (which isn't far away -- I've got about 6 inches from BSL to pelvis on my short torso) it started feeling long.

Now it's definitely "long" for me.

patissegrietje
December 13th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I think i would consider tailbone to be long, still a long way to go! Inspiring to be on LHC :D

Buddaphlyy
December 13th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I'd consider BSL long. Not many people outside of hair boards actively try to grow past that, or at least I rarely see them.

jera
December 13th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Long is when you need a legion of soldiers marching behind you with sections of your hair held in their hands to prevent it from becoming soiled on the earth a block away from where you're walking. :D

Marchpane
December 13th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Well mine is at BSL and feels totally short. But I always see other girls with hair like APL and say 'Wow her hair is so long!' and then my friends are like 'But your hair is longer than that...' o__0

I think waist is long. I can't wait until mine is at waist! But it's taking forever lol.

Glamgirl
December 13th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Hmm...I'd say tailbone and beyond is long to me. I do think that other people's hair looks longer to me than my own, even if thiers is significantly shorter. Not sure why that is???

kam984420
December 13th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I think anything longer than BSL is pretty long to me. I went christmas shopping and noticed lots of women with hair that was BSL or Longer. Some of them even had hair past their waist.

DragonLady
December 13th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Long is when you need a legion of soldiers marching behind you with sections of your hair held in their hands to prevent it from becoming soiled on the earth a block away from where you're walking. :D

Awesome. :)

Nevermore
December 13th, 2008, 09:30 PM
I think anything above about classic is short, on me. I accept that the rest of the world thinks waist is superdeduper long and bsl is normal long, but both lengths are short, imo. I'm at hip now and it's still short.

flapjack
December 13th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Anything below hip is long, imho. Anything between shoulders and hip is medium length and if your hair isn't touching your neck, you're practically bald! Jk on the last part... maybe. Haha.

gdimoonbeam
December 13th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I've heard some people describe themselves as having long hair and thought, wow, their hair is short what are they thinking. I will admit I feel that my hair isn't long.

goldenwaves
December 14th, 2008, 01:39 AM
To the normal world, probably past APL. To LHC, waist-hip length. To me, waist length!!

jera
December 14th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Seriously, I used to think classic was long. Since joining LHC I've reassessed my opinion. I used to think I was a weird freak for wanting knee length hair, but now it seems not only acceptable but nomal, even desirable. :)

wendyg
December 14th, 2008, 03:49 AM
I've always thought long starts at waist.

wg

myrrhmaiden
December 14th, 2008, 04:59 AM
maybe hair will always feel short if you know it still has some grow left in it...

For me, it always looks longer in pictures than it ever feels...armpit always still feels short.
I think BSL was the last time I declared, "It's starting to get long again!"
The ultimate length in my mind; about hip I suppose..but it's so far from where I am now I dare not wish it. For now I will wait to declare it long in the first place!

paper
December 14th, 2008, 08:39 AM
In real life, I think APL-BSL is long. It's very rare I see anyone with longer hair then that.

Here, I think at least waist would be considered long.

Speckla
December 14th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I guess long is very subjective, huh?
________
Suzuki Fxr150 Specifications (http://www.suzuki-tech.com/wiki/Suzuki_FXR150)

NebraskaChick84
December 14th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I guess long is very subjective, huh?
yes...I'm just now hitting APL and a month ago I was asked if I was the one that was looking for xxx (I can't remember) because the customer (used to work at walmart) said that a female with long brown hair was trying to find whatever it is she wanted.

I was stymied. my hair is SHORT. I wonder what those people who think APL is long think is short...shaved maybe?