PDA

View Full Version : Birthday hair - suggestions?

Teazel
December 10th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Hi everyone. :D

We're having some friends to dinner on Sunday to celebrate my 44th birthday, and I don't know what to do with my hair for the evening. Can you help me decide, please?

embee
December 10th, 2008, 06:05 PM
If they're not the kind to say "you need a haircut" you could wear it down, it's your own home after all. Unless you think that would be a big pain if you cook/serve dinner. Or it's a cook out and it might get caught in the cooking fire.

Any one of your signature buns would be lovely!

twilight_faerie
December 10th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Well, what hairstyle makes you happiest? There's your answer. It's your special day, so you should do whatever makes you happy!

Teazel
December 10th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Embee, my DH would say :thumbsup: to your suggestion - anytime I ask him how I should wear my hair he always rolls his eyes and says, "Down, of course!" :lol:

DH and DS will be taking care of the cooking (I hope) so I can just relax and enjoy the company, so having my hair loose is a possibility. But I've been learning some really cool styles lately and thought it would be nice to dress it up a bit... I just can't decide on the style. :o

Also, there may be a baby present. A very cute little guy who's a friend of mine, but he's at an age where he likes to grab hair. Having it out of the way might be a good idea, therefore.

Ęther
December 10th, 2008, 06:58 PM
So far, it looks like a common area for fast hair growth is the nape of the neck.

Does anyone take advantage of the speed of hair growth for any particular style? I'm sure it's moot at the point where it's getting very long. hmmm. :-)

Xandergrammy
December 10th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Well, what hairstyle makes you happiest? There's your answer. It's your special day, so you should do whatever makes you happy!

I was going to suggest the same thing! Whatever is your favorite and makes you the happiest.

P.S. My personal favorite is that amazing dutch braid. :grin:

sneakybea
December 10th, 2008, 07:58 PM
When I first saw "birthday hair" I thought of a girl I saw once with helium balloons tied to her French braids---it was very festive. Of course, she was about six!
I really like your hair in the Eowyn updo and the Hug-me-tight bun (or whatever it's called) but you should wear your hair how you like. Maybe a partial updo or some clever braids would be a nice compromise?

skay
December 10th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Embee, my DH would say :thumbsup: to your suggestion - anytime I ask him how I should wear my hair he always rolls his eyes and says, "Down, of course!" :lol:

DH and DS will be taking care of the cooking (I hope) so I can just relax and enjoy the company, so having my hair loose is a possibility. But I've been learning some really cool styles lately and thought it would be nice to dress it up a bit... I just can't decide on the style. :o

Also, there may be a baby present. A very cute little guy who's a friend of mine, but he's at an age where he likes to grab hair. Having it out of the way might be a good idea, therefore.

Happy Birthday!

Since it's a time to relax and let your hair down, yes, perhaps let your hair down ;) (pun intended).

But, if you're concerned about a baby being around ...hmmm....

Since you're trying new hairstyles, how about -

:arrow: Adding a flower or flowers to your updo - for you, the birthday girl. :)

If by chance you don't do an updo, perhaps the below photo may inspire some flower-related ideas for when your hair is down (or perhaps for a half-up or even with a certain updo style).

Your hair reminds me of her hair (she's an opera singer - Dame Nellie Melba).

Link to photo: http://vrroom.naa.gov.au/print_display.aspx?ObjectType=SingleRecordPrint&irecordid=831

http://vrroom.naa.gov.au/admin/media_stream.aspx?iMediaId=1867

Teazel
December 10th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! :rockerdud

So, boiling it all down, I'm leaning towards a dutch braid (Xandergrammy :heartbeat and sneakybea) - maybe with some flowers threaded into it! :blossom:

Wow, Dame Nellie had great hair. And a Grecian profile. :bigeyes:

Angellen
December 10th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I was thinking that new peacock one would be kind of neat, or do multiple rope braids and make it more Victorian. I like sticking little accents in the braid or pocket. :) Here's the link: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15923

Of course, it's ultimately your day, so whatever makes you feel happy is the way to go! :D Happy Birthday, by the way!

Teazel
December 11th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Thanks, Angellen! I'll try the peacock loop and see how it looks on me. :)

LutraLutra
December 11th, 2008, 02:52 AM
As other people have said, wear your hair in your favourtite style on your birthday and yout can't fail to look and feel wonderful. Is there a style you particulary like, but is time consuming for you to do, so you don't normal wear it? Something that you can do while you drink a glass of your favourite wine (or not, depending on your drinking habits), listen to your favourite music and enjoy spending some 'me' time with your crowing glory?

AprilElf
December 11th, 2008, 03:48 AM
My suggestion would be a rope braided figure-8 or infinity ...
With flowers, because that was a great idea and they would make you feel very birthday girl-ish! :D
But in the end I hope you choose something that you feel special wearing. :blossom:

Shannon4J
December 11th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I don't have any suggestions that that haven't already been given, just wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday!!! ..... So: Happy Birthday!!!

Alana2000
December 11th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I'm with Shannon, Happy birthday Teazel.

embee
December 11th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Of course, Happy Birthday! You could try a half up with a flower, and if the baby is threatening you can take a hairstick and wow everyone with a quick updo! ;) People with short hair are generally astonished at a one-stick updo that takes all of about 5 seconds to achieve.

AutumnSky
December 11th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Haha...I love embee's suggestion!
Everyone else has pretty much said what I would... Down would be my choice, or a half updo (or braid) with flowers... but ultimately it has to be the thing that makes you feel most glorious!

And Happy Birthday! :D

Michou
December 11th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Whatever you decide, do take pictures!

Have a very happy birthday. :)

Teazel
December 11th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Something that you can do while you drink a glass of your favourite wine (or not, depending on your drinking habits), listen to your favourite music and enjoy spending some 'me' time with your crowing glory?

I like the way you think, LutraLutra! :beercheer: :D

Thanks everyone, I'll think about what you've said and practise a few styles. And thank you for the birthday wishes!

:flowers:

sahiba
December 11th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Whatever you decide, do take pictures!

Have a very happy birthday. :)

Yeah please take pictures because I know whatever it will be ,its going to look gorgeous. :)

Tressie
December 12th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Dear Teazel, Firstly, I hope you have a stupendously wonderful birthday!! :cheese::gift::cake::flowers:

I looked at your wonderful updos and I must say that ANY of them would be marvelous!:thudpile: However, after much waffling back and forth, not helped by hitting my head in the thud pile............:D

I am going to vote for the bunned dutch braid with flowers!:rockerdud

Teazel
December 12th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Oooh.... thank you Tressie! :flower: I hope you didn't hurt yourself in that thudpile. :wink: Actually, I've just made my first ever french braid and bunned it, and I think it's pretty cool... well, being my first it's actually a bit of a mess, but I can see it has potential. :D I'm gonna blog about it.

Michou and sahiba, I will make sure a pic is taken! :)

Nevermore
December 12th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Happy birthday Teazel! Your hair will be glorious and thud-worthy, no matter how you wear it.

Teazel
December 12th, 2008, 03:59 AM
Thank you, Nevermore! :)

sahiba
December 14th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Its your birth day :magic: Happy birth day :flowers:
Don't forget the style pic. :)

NurseMama
December 14th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Teazel your hair is :bowtome: so gorgeous. I love every updo in your album and when you have it down it is simply breathtaking. There is not a style that you could wear that is more becoming than another as all of them look beautiful IMO.

As everyone else has said, wear what will be comfortable and will make you feel special.

Happy Birthday!