PDA

View Full Version : Another hair makeover on tv...It's Dr. Phil this time.

Fluffy01
December 10th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Watching Dr. P right now and this girl has beautiful dark wavy hair....almost to her bum, and they want her to get a "style". And the girl hasn't had a haircut since a stylist gave her a mushroom do at age eight. But apparently, she thinks Dr. Phil can do a better job than that stylist :eek:

I'm hoping they don't cut it all off....*bites nails*...back to watching....

Anje
December 10th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Aw rats. I was hoping the stylist would come after Dr. Phil. :poot:

Nightshade
December 10th, 2008, 01:16 PM
With what, a bottle of rubber cement and a toupee? ;)

Eireann
December 10th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Dr. P has some nerve telling ANYONE how to wear his/her hair!

Redheaded Raven
December 10th, 2008, 01:21 PM
It's all part of his plot to make everyone bald like him!:hatchet::run:

Fluffy01
December 10th, 2008, 01:22 PM
It's funny you said that about the toupee! He made her make the first cut and then he took it and put it on his head! Ahhh! That would've done it for me...I'd of been like...go somewhere else for your hair donation Dr. Phil!

Anje
December 10th, 2008, 01:25 PM

I dunno. Maybe a Sharpie?

Copasetic
December 10th, 2008, 01:27 PM
im watching it too. they are going to chop it all off for sure. my guess is that it will be about shoulder length.

Magicknthenight
December 10th, 2008, 01:27 PM
:rollin:

Is it on today? It hasn't yet started but 0o0o0 I'll have to watch it now! Wonder how short he made her cut it :rant:
It is kinda funny that he is having makeovers though....is he the one doing it or is their a stylist or something?
Ah but these makeover shows make me sad sometimes x_x with their insults

Nightshade
December 10th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I dunno. Maybe a Sharpie?

ROFL

Or maybe iron filings? We can make a Dr Phil rendition of Wolly Willy:'

http://www.superdairyboy.com/pictures/basicfun/keychains/woolywilly.jpg

feralnature
December 10th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I'll tune in here later this afternoon when i think it's on, usually watch something else.

Morticia
December 10th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I will probably be in the minority here, but I liked it after the cut. It looked great, and it was still long.

Magicknthenight
December 10th, 2008, 02:03 PM
It has just started. But its talking about obsessions and when habits go to far?

feralnature
December 10th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Ok, it just started here, so we'll see....

Magicknthenight
December 10th, 2008, 02:10 PM
ah it just said this girl is obsessed with her hair. and he was like..now why would she have to pick that E_E. Ah its beautiful!! And i don't blame her for not stepping into a salon after that experience. and the lady in the audience shaking her head. -.- Well PFFT to you!
Maybe she just likes her hair? I am obsessed with my hair but i enjoy it. I would be soo sad if i cut it. The hair stylist took off a little bit more then i wanted and that saddened me for a while.
Saying she needs style gods to rescue her? Is it that bad?! o0o0o Scissors! I wouldn't let him cut my hair mmhm E_E
OH MY he went like really close to her scalp but luckily they moved it down.
Her hair is so thick <3 well i guess they are gonna take her back stage (Dun dun dun)
waiting to see the results!

Magicknthenight
December 10th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Seeing the results i think she looks nice. Of corse its styled and such i wonder if she will do that everyday? But yea either way she has pretty hair :)

DecafJane
December 10th, 2008, 04:00 PM
How long was it after the cut?

florenonite
December 10th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Judging by the pics on the website, it was about APL or so after the cut. It did suit her, but then there was also makeup that can't have hurt. Hopefully she's happy with it and doesn't regret cutting so much at once once it's had time to fully sink in.

DecafJane
December 10th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Wow. I'll have to go and look on the website. If it is REALLY thick hair, then APL can still be quite poofy if you don't style it to death.

Edited to add: Her hair is FAR to thick and wavy to sit nicely at that length without some serious styling. I'm guessing that she will pull it back until it grows again.
All they needed to do was to change her wardrobe and put some makeup on her for a "makeover." Why cut so much off her hair?

Also, is it me, or is Robin looking very Plastic Fantastic these days?

lemonlife
December 10th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Wow, the cut does suit her. But, with her hair so wavy to start with, it's could be a pain to style daily. Not to mention the damage she'd get from doing so

RavennaNight
December 10th, 2008, 04:52 PM
ROFL

OMG that is hillarious! I remember wooly willy! :laugh:

Indigosails
December 10th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I usually don't watch Dr. P, but did today. Her hair was left longer than I thought it would be. They also put in quite a few layers. She didn't get to see herself until get got on stage for the reveal. I'm just glad it was left as long as it was. I expected them to go to shoulder or above.

joyfulmom4
December 10th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Haven't seen it yet. But I have to ask, why did they claim she was "obsessed" with her hair? And why would cutting someone's hair be a positive step if an individual really did suffer some genuine psycholocial obsession with her hair? I mean, if she just *liked* her long hair, then what's the big deal? Leave it long and leave her alone. Why should someone who really loves their long hair cut it? Otoh, if she truly was obsessive to the point that it impaired her daily functioning, then giving her a sudden haircut is not going to "cure" her and make her a new woman on the inside. Not getting it...

Fwiw, I don't think having very long hair means you have to be obsessed with it. I grew mine to nearly classic length w/o ever spending much time or paying much attention to it. Since discovering LHC, I've been a bit more into it, but I still would hardly call it obsessive. I now have some folks to share hair talk and advice and ideas with, so of course I have a renewed interest. But just b/c someone's hair is down to their bum doesn't make them "obsessed".

GlennaGirl
December 10th, 2008, 05:38 PM
ROFL

OMG, I can NOT stop laughing. :D

Tangles
December 10th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I don't really care what they do on these shows (people enter at their own risk) but it is annoying that style is always equated with shorter and layered. I really wish more people could be educated about how polished long hair can look when it's healthy.

GlennaGirl
December 10th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Okay, I didn't watch the show but I read the three-page thingie on his site. It seems to me like there was zero coercion and that she was thrilled, and they did leave it at about APL when naturally curled up (or maybe they added curl as well, I don't know)--so probably coming fairly close to BSL when pulled out, right?

He even said, "I don't cut hair...you make the first cut..." etc. And she made the cut herself. It was *all* within her control: to come onto the show, to say she was obsessed (He didn't say, "You're obsessed and you just don't know it!" He said, "Are you obsessed with your hair?" and she said she was), to make the first cut, etc.

So as far as makeover shows go, it seems to me that she made all the decisions all along the way and that she wanted the cut. She got not only that, but 15 minutes of fame; I don't see any harm done here. :)

GlennaGirl
December 10th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Haven't seen it yet. But I have to ask, why did they claim she was "obsessed" with her hair? And why would cutting someone's hair be a positive step if an individual really did suffer some genuine psycholocial obsession with her hair?

You know, that was my first question too!

But I have to say...they didn't claim she was obsessed with her hair...she did. They didn't (as far as I read/saw) claim that women in general grow their hair long for ulterior motives or that every person with long hair is obsessed, etc. And they certainly didn't say "You should cut your hair because long hair just isn't stylish". The show was about obsessions in general, and obviously people wrote/called/e-mailed in with "their" obsession, and this woman herself felt that her obsession was keeping her hair long.

However, she also already knew/felt that it was directly related to the cut she'd had when she was 8 and that it was about a sense of control or lack of it, and that she hid behind her hair. She didn't say anything about just loving long hair in general. It seemed to me that she did have her hair long for reasons other than just loving long hair, that it had been fear-based, and that once she figured that out, because she never really wanted very long hair in the first place, she got it cut. :)

So basically, she'd already looked into the reasons for her obsession, and she wanted to cut the hair; and now it's cut and still on the longer side, at least by industry standards. :)

NeilTheFuzz
December 10th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I don't really like those before/after make over shows. I have no idea why people insist on styling. I mean, fair enough if you like your hair styled. What it is that bothers me is why styling is seens as a sort of "standard" whereas long hair is somehow seen as making the wearer slightly inferior to their styled counterpart.

NebraskaChick84
December 10th, 2008, 06:06 PM
what's the link to the website? I'd be interested in reading about the show and seeing the photos.

from what it sounds like though she wanted it...I don't know I think apl and bsl are good lengths I just don't like having my hair uneven (like the former butcher shops I went to did to my hair) and so short I can't get it out of my face.

rapunzhell13
December 10th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I can think of worse things to be obsessed with. :rolleyes:

invisiblebabe
December 10th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I think the cut looks fine, and she was the one who wanted it, so I have no problem with it.

I do think this is dumb:
Anona’s style team also gave her some tricks of the trade: fake eyelashes, breast enhancers called “chicken cutlets” and a tummy flattener.

Who needs fake eyelashes? They are uncomfortable (I wore them for a modeling show), pointless, and so artificial looking.

Chicken cutlets are basically a fancy way of stuffing your bra. LOL. I think that is silly too.

Speckla
December 10th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I think the cut looks fine, and she was the one who wanted it, so I have no problem with it.

I do think this is dumb:

Who needs fake eyelashes? They are uncomfortable (I wore them for a modeling show), pointless, and so artificial looking.

Chicken cutlets are basically a fancy way of stuffing your bra. LOL. I think that is silly too.

I was about to say, what no fries with that? :cheese:
________
Portable vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/portable-vaporizers)

naomimcc
December 10th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I will probably be in the minority here, but I liked it after the cut. It looked great, and it was still long.

And she said she wanted to do it. She wasn't pressured at all. So ... all the best to her. it looked great both ways :D

zen_oven
December 10th, 2008, 08:31 PM
UGH. I would never be able to watch that. These damnable "makeover" shows always wind up cutting everyone's hair off. ECK.