PDA

View Full Version : Question about grey hair(s)

Culdayne
December 10th, 2008, 09:21 AM
This may sound silly, and please forgive if its been discussed recently....

For anyone with mostly grey or all grey, did you notice that your hair is stronger, thicker? I ask because it seems like my grey hairs are thicker than my non-grey hair. If this is really the case and not my wistful imagination, I wish I could be all grey now. ;)

spidermom
December 10th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Mine are a mix. Some of the silvery hairs are as fine as my hair has ever been. I've also got some wirey white ones that I could probably darn socks with.

jojo
December 10th, 2008, 12:14 PM
LOL darn socks I like that! I have a mixture too of wirey coils and also some white baby fine ones. My Dad has the most beautiful silver/white hair which is as soft as a horses muzzle but he tells me his first silvers were very wirey but softend over time. Hope this happens to mine.

Kerynna
December 10th, 2008, 12:27 PM
The few grey hairs I have are coarse and wiry. They are probably thicker, too, or maybe it's just that they are so different in texture. They stand out, literally.

Spike
December 10th, 2008, 02:17 PM
My greys at the crown seem to be coarser and wavier than the dark hairs; but the same texture and curl lower down.

Nope, I wouldn't mind a bit if the grey was thicker and stronger than the dark, even if I had to sacrifice some softness. There's always oil, right? :p

Eden Iris
December 10th, 2008, 02:50 PM
My silvers are like wire (in color and texture), so yeah, if they all come in like that my hair will be substantially thicker. Henna seems to tone down the color nicely.

Teazel
December 10th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Some of my greys are coarse and wiry, others are superfine. The same can be said of my pigmented hair, so.... basically, I'm no help. :lol:

Peggy E.
December 10th, 2008, 04:47 PM
The grays in my head seem to be pretty much the same as the (dwindling rapidly) numbers of non-gray hair, with this exception: My hair is now wavy - and when I say "wavy," I'm talkin' 1920's type, Marcel waves goin' on here.

The hair that comes out in my brush, however, is wirey and difficult to use for the things I've made with it (I have a hair receiver). Weird, strange, the norm for me....

Michou
December 10th, 2008, 05:03 PM
My greys are much coarser and curlier than my regular hair, but I'm not sure if it is stronger. I wouldn't mind curlier hair, so I can't really complain. :)

joyfulmom4
December 10th, 2008, 05:34 PM
The grays in my head seem to be pretty much the same as the (dwindling rapidly) numbers of non-gray hair, with this exception: My hair is now wavy - and when I say "wavy," I'm talkin' 1920's type, Marcel waves goin' on here.

The hair that comes out in my brush, however, is wirey and difficult to use for the things I've made with it (I have a hair receiver). Weird, strange, the norm for me....

I just can't resist asking, What do you make with your hair?

Elenna
December 10th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Wonder why some people's grays come in wirey and other people's don't.

My hair has soft grays coming in. The texture is the same.

WindowDressing
December 10th, 2008, 07:07 PM
My greys are VERY wirey compared to my normals. The white ones seem to fall out at a much shorter length:

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/3804/whitehairmn6.jpg

Look at how much wave the hair has too.

It almost is like it is from someone else's mane!

But this one was plucked from my own so I know it's mine :D

Weird!

Hugs!
WD :)

Teacherbear
December 10th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Mine are a mix of wirey and baby-fine.

saoriiroas
December 10th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I have 3 grey hair and I love them. They are coming in the same texture as the rest of my hair. I can't wait for more. Both my father and my mother have soft greys, my (pat)gradmother has BSL length silver silk, my (mat) grandmother has thick shoulder length salt and pepper. Snow on the mountain!

Deborah
December 11th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I don't have a lot of silver, but what I do have is the same texture as all of my hair; baby fine.

lynnala
December 11th, 2008, 12:50 AM
I've always heard that gray hair comes in coarse and wiry, but mine came in thin and fine like my normal hair. Mine is very white though, not gray. Perhaps it depends on the hair color, my hair was medium brown, and quite fine in texture.

sneakybea
December 11th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Mine used to be all coarse, but now I've started getting some silkier, finer ones. Though I took off my hat today and the shorter ones were springing up all over the place! That's the problem with having so many in my bangs---none of that nice heavy length to weigh them down!

Shannon4J
December 11th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Some of my greys are thicker/coarser. Some feel like wire!!

mellie
December 11th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Mine come in very coarse, wiry and wavy.

RedStripe
December 11th, 2008, 11:05 AM
When I first started getting grays, they were very thick and wiry, but now that I have considerable streaks of gray, it's all the same texture as the rest of my hair. I don't have any grays that are finer than the rest of my hair.

Darkhorse1
December 11th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I asked my hair dresser about this--gray hair is actually hair absent of color. So, I'm wondering with the lack of color when it grows out of your head, it must change the texture, right? My grays are curly and thick/coarser than my current hair. Some are not bad, but when I go all gray, my hair is going to be hard to manage! Eeeshk!

Peggy E.
December 11th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I just can't resist asking, What do you make with your hair?

I've used it to make braids, mostly, and other "weave" type hair pieces.

Most people who save their hair seem to use it for "fillers" of some sort - to help with buns, or to add height or volume to a style.

I save it up in my receiver until there's enough to make it worth my time to mess with it. Then I comb it out, braid it and that's that!

Culdayne
December 12th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Wow, thanks everyone. :D

Spidermom: Your comment about sock darning gives me hope! :lol: Seriously, though, I am hoping some of my greys are that strong. :cheese:

Lynnala, Peggy E.: You both have some wonderful grey hair. I mean, wow.

I find it so interesting from everyone's responses that grey hair can have such variance in texture, etc.

Laila23
December 12th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Amazing, Peggy E.

Simply amazing. Where did you learn this? !