PDA

View Full Version : Why does my chinese bun look stupid?

Curlsgirl
December 10th, 2008, 07:25 AM
I see pics of these and they look cute but when I do one on me it looks stupid. Also I have a hard time getting it pinned after I tuck the ends in.

camara
December 10th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Mine do, too. Chinese bun on me = knotty, small, unpleasant thingie. On others though, chinese buns look beautiful. I guess Im doing something wrong?

For holding such buns Im using hairscroos, they work just fine. Doesnt help with the stupid appearance of the bun, though :shrug:

Curlsgirl
December 10th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Mine do, too. Chinese bun on me = knotty, small, unpleasant thingie. On others though, chinese buns look beautiful. I guess Im doing something wrong?

For holding such buns Im using hairscroos, they work just fine. Doesnt help with the stupid appearance of the bun, though :shrug:

LOL! At least I am not alone!

Fencai
December 10th, 2008, 07:43 AM
I have this issue too. I chalk it up to the fact that my hair isnt long enough, so its just a little wrapped up lump on the back of my head!

morguebabe
December 10th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I don't even know how to do one.

Comfrey
December 10th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I really must get hubby to take some pics so I can post them on my profile. But I cant do any of those nice buns on my hair despite having more than 27 inches.

I'm just all fingers and thumbs and my hair ends up looking like some 5 year old has been playing "grown ups" with my hair :o

I think everyone here is so clever, but I'm about to give up doing anything remotely fancy ............ fancy being "easy put ups". I havent even tried anything that you all find complicated :rolleyes:

mira-chan
December 10th, 2008, 08:51 AM
When I do a Chinese bun, it looks like some kind of alien crustacean attached to my head. For me, I know the cause of that is my taper. The first turn of the hair is so much thicker than the rest that it looks really strange. I think this style needs enough even length hair to go around the first loops a couple of times to looks good.

Akiko
December 10th, 2008, 09:02 AM
My Chinese bun looks pathetic.:-( Japanese bun... Don't even go there. I cannot make it.

I personally think braided Chinese bun looks better than unbraided one. But it requires much more length. BSL+ is not enough.

morgubabe, instructions on Chinese bun can be found in this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10999). Check the 3rd post with links. There is a very nice braided chinese bun video (http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=n98D0j8Ypfg) on youtube.

Akiko
December 10th, 2008, 09:07 AM
...some kind of alien crustacean attached to my head...

LoL! Mine looks like an alien creature, too. :alien: The first divided lumps are weird looking unless there is enough hair wrapped around them.

Hypnotica
December 10th, 2008, 09:09 AM
For some reason I have more luck with braided Chinese Buns then the regular. Maybe you ought to try that instead?

Nightshade
December 10th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I had much the same problem. I found it looks a lot better on me if I use a Miao hair piece that I snagged from Crystal Mood, as it's thicker in the center than a stick, and the hair thingee itself covers the bun and makes it look nicer than just a knot.

It's the first time I've ever LIKED a Chinese bun on me. Here's an article I wrote on how to use one (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=92), and here's a pic of the finished product:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1726&pictureid=26348

(better pics in the article) :)

Comfrey
December 10th, 2008, 09:15 AM
OMG!!! Where can I buy one of those wonderful things :confused:

jessie58
December 10th, 2008, 09:16 AM
OOOOHHHH Nightshade that is SO pretty.

Curlsgirl
December 10th, 2008, 09:17 AM
For some reason I have more luck with braided Chinese Buns then the regular. Maybe you ought to try that instead?Hmmmm, haven't tried it. I just assumed my hair wasn't long enough. So you would do a pony with an elastic then separate into 2 sections and braid each and then do the bun? I think I may need a longer stick too. My hair is pretty much all one length without much taper so I don't think that is my problem. I think it's me. :o

I had much the same problem. I found it looks a lot better on me if I use a Miao hair piece that I snagged from Crystal Mood, as it's thicker in the center than a stick, and the hair thingee itself covers the bun and makes it look nicer than just a knot.

It's the first time I've ever LIKED a Chinese bun on me. Here's an article I wrote on how to use one (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=92), and here's a pic of the finished product:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1726&pictureid=26348

(better pics in the article) :)Oooooooooooo I really like that!!!

Curlsgirl
December 10th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Nightshade, what is that hairtoy called? I can't figure out where to find it on the Crystal mood site.

Akiko
December 10th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Nightshade, that's very beautiful. I love how the insert has curved wings which hug your bun. Very eye catching piece. CrystalMood does not seem to carry it anymore.:(

Curlsgirl
December 10th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Nightshade, that's very beautiful. I love how the insert has curved wings which hug your bun. Very eye catching piece. CrystalMood does not seem to carry it anymore.:(

:taz: I want one!!!!!!!!!

Akiko
December 10th, 2008, 09:24 AM

:taz:Me, too!:taz:

Hypnotica
December 10th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Hmmmm, haven't tried it. I just assumed my hair wasn't long enough. So you would do a pony with an elastic then separate into 2 sections and braid each and then do the bun? I think I may need a longer stick too. My hair is pretty much all one length without much taper so I don't think that is my problem. I think it's me. :o

One lenght without taper = hard to make the ends stick in a bun. Or, I think so. :)

I don't do a ponytail before brading, I just braid two braids. For some reason I have a hard time concealing the ponytail.

I have one on the way :) Managed to snag it on the Swap Board.
But there is something similair on the Crystal Mood site:

http://www.crystalmood.com/handmade-miao-ethnic-tribal-headpiece-p-3423.html

Just a different shape, I believe.

Nightshade
December 10th, 2008, 09:28 AM
:shocked: Holy cats! That was a bit more of a response than I anticipated :lol:

I'm glad you guys liked it :)

When I looked the other day they had this smaller one in stock (http://www.crystalmood.com/handmade-miao-ethnic-tribal-small-hair-insert-p-3425.html) (though I have no idea how the hell that one's supposed to work). They also have this larger one that comes with the dangle (http://www.crystalmood.com/handmade-miao-ethnic-tribal-headpiece-p-3423.html). They're under Hairsticks>Miao and then you just have to dig.

You could always email them and ask when they'll get more in stock. :) They seem to replenish their items fairly often.

ETA: Hypnotica I can't wait to see pics of yours in action when it arrives :D But with you I seldom have to worry about a lack of pics ;)

Hypnotica
December 10th, 2008, 09:33 AM
ETA: Hypnotica I can't wait to see pics of yours in action when it arrives :D But with you I seldom have to worry about a lack of pics ;)

Well well...! Do you mean that I *spam* this board with pics of me?! :p

spidermom
December 10th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I think all chinese buns look kind of ... what's the polite word here? ... unappealing.

Ryanne
December 10th, 2008, 09:37 AM
That hairtoy is so pretty, Nightshade!

Curlsgirl
December 10th, 2008, 09:38 AM
:shocked: Holy cats! That was a bit more of a response than I anticipated :lol:

I'm glad you guys liked it :)

When I looked the other day they had this smaller one in stock (http://www.crystalmood.com/handmade-miao-ethnic-tribal-small-hair-insert-p-3425.html) (though I have no idea how the hell that one's supposed to work). They also have this larger one that comes with the dangle (http://www.crystalmood.com/handmade-miao-ethnic-tribal-headpiece-p-3423.html). They're under Hairsticks>Miao and then you just have to dig.

Ooooooooooo thanks so much! Can you wear that one that comes with the dangle without the dangle?

Hypnotica
December 10th, 2008, 09:38 AM
I think all chinese buns look kind of ... what's the polite word here? ... unappealing.

Like something round with a crack in it...?

Curlsgirl
December 10th, 2008, 09:40 AM

Well I have seen some pretty ones but um yep mine certainly is unappealing! :eek:

Nightshade
December 10th, 2008, 09:43 AM

:lol: I love you, Spidermom.

Ooooooooooo thanks so much! Can you wear that one that comes with the dangle without the dangle?

Actually the one I'm wearing has a dangle, I'm just wearing it without it :) You can see pics with the dangle in the article I linked earlier. I prefer it without, but on rare occasion I may bust out the dangle.

ETA: Here it is with the dangle:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal/photos/c07b40f7205501c95df405169ee67ce2.jpg

Well well...! Do you mean that I *spam* this board with pics of me?! :p

No, my dear, I am simply saying that I never want for photos of your beautiful hair and your badass hairtoy collection :D

sahiba
December 10th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I'm yet to try this bun. Hope I get some success.
Nightshade, your bun and this toy are too gorgeous.

Anje
December 10th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Mine also look lousy, and I can't seem to accomplish one without the hair tie showing. I think my hair lacks the "poof" it needs to make a decent chinese bun,

Nightshade -- I do like the look of that bun ornament, and I've been eyeing them for a while.

Totally off-topic, but I thought Miao was an offensive description of the Hmong/Hmoob people. Anyone know better who can comment?

Hypnotica
December 10th, 2008, 09:58 AM
No, my dear, I am simply saying that I never want for photos of your beautiful hair and your badass hairtoy collection :D

Ah....the beautiful smell of female envy :D
(I hope I can use it and that it's not too small. Time will tell.)

Hypnotica
December 10th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Someone more then me that are up to showing off their silly looking chinese bun pic? :)

Nightshade
December 10th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I'm yet to try this bun. Hope I get some success.
Nightshade, your bun and this toy are too gorgeous.

Why thank you :flowers:

Nightshade -- I do like the look of that bun ornament, and I've been eyeing them for a while.

Totally off-topic, but I thought Miao was an offensive description of the Hmong/Hmoob people. Anyone know better who can comment?
:bigeyes: I hope not! I'd be most interested to know that answer.

Ah....the beautiful smell of female envy :D
(I hope I can use it and that it's not too small. Time will tell.)

:lol: I don't envy others, as it does little to make me happy, so instead I appreciate what others have :)

Comfrey
December 10th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Nightshade I was just looking and I was wondering if you knew where they were made?

Reason I ask is because I ebayed Miao and the only stuff I could find came from China.

Tibetan stuff from China kinda makes my hair stand on end, and as much as I love this stuff and would gladly pay the import, I was hoping it didnt come via Republic of China for obvious reasons :rolleyes:

Hypnotica
December 10th, 2008, 10:07 AM
:lol: I don't envy others, as it does little to make me happy, so instead I appreciate what others have :)

I was being silly :) I do not envy in that sort of way either.

Regarding the term Miao (From Wikipedia):

"Historically, the term "Miao" had been applied inconsistently to a variety of non-Han peoples often with the connotation of "barbarian." This former meaning has not kept members of the modern nationality from self-identifying as Miao. Outside of China, "Meo", a variation of "Miao" still exists in Southeast Asia where it is often used in a highly derogatory way. Western researchers have treated the terminological problems in a non-uniform way. Early writers used Chinese-based names in various transcriptions: Miao, Miao-tse, Miao-tsze, Meau, Meo, mo, miao-tseu etc. When referring to specific sub-groups of the Miao nationality or to ethnic groups outside of China, it is preferable to use the ethnonym of the specific group, for instance: Hmong/Mong, Hmu, etc. The prominence of Hmong/Mong people in the West has led to the situation where the Miao nationality is sometimes referred to as Hmong or Mong, despite the fact that they are only one of the sub-groups contained in the classification. Following the recent increased interaction of Hmong in the West with Miao in China, it is reported that some non-Hmong Miao have even begun to identify themselves as Hmong."

Comfrey
December 10th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Hi Hypnotica :)

I know about Miao and well aware what the term means :)

What I was saying was a good deal that I have seen recently (ebay in particular) is from Tibet but exported via China.

That was my problem and why I asked whether anyone knew where this particular "miao" came from, and through.

Hypnotica
December 10th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Hi Hypnotica :)

I know about Miao and well aware what the term means :)

What I was saying was a good deal that I have seen recently (ebay in particular) is from Tibet but exported via China.

That was my problem and why I asked whether anyone knew where this particular "miao" came from, and through.

Yes, but Nightshade and Anje were interested in knowing it "Miao" is an offensive term or not. That is why I quoted Wikipedia.

Comfrey
December 10th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Yes, but Nightshade and Anje were interested in knowing it "Miao" is an offensive term or not. That is why I quoted Wikipedia.

Ah sorry :oops:

ETA I missed where that was asked.

heidihug
December 10th, 2008, 12:01 PM
The Chinese bun is my fall-back bun if I don't feel like doing a cinnabun. It's my signature pic.

I could not do one until my hair was quite long, though - perhaps tailbone or longer? Before that the "wrapped around" looked too inadequate for the "bumps" part, if you know what I mean.

Gumball
December 10th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I think Chinese buns can look pretty good. I myself don't really have many successful regular ones (they fall out too much for my sanity), but I've used braided ones before and they have stuck pretty well. I'm sure I have pictures of a regular braided one and a rope one somewhere.

Curlsgirl
December 10th, 2008, 12:17 PM
The Chinese bun is my fall-back bun if I don't feel like doing a cinnabun. It's my signature pic.

I could not do one until my hair was quite long, though - perhaps tailbone or longer? Before that the "wrapped around" looked too inadequate for the "bumps" part, if you know what I mean.

Hmmmmm perhaps that is the problem. I have enough hair and it all wraps around but it just looks funny whereas my figure 8 looks nice and smooth.

Nightshade
December 10th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Nightshade I was just looking and I was wondering if you knew where they were made?

Reason I ask is because I ebayed Miao and the only stuff I could find came from China.

Tibetan stuff from China kinda makes my hair stand on end, and as much as I love this stuff and would gladly pay the import, I was hoping it didnt come via Republic of China for obvious reasons :rolleyes:

Herm, there's no stamp on mine that says "Made in <location>"

Hypnotica- Thank you for posting that! I'm wondering if they didn't just use the word thinking it sounded exotic and not knowing, or not caring, what it meant?

And you rock, so no worries, I was 99% sure you were yanking my chain in a good natured way ;)

Comfrey
December 10th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Herm, there's no stamp on mine that says "Made in <location>"

Thanks luvvie :)

I know it might seem daft, but its just one of my "things".

Hypnotica
December 10th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Hypnotica- Thank you for posting that! I'm wondering if they didn't just use the word thinking it sounded exotic and not knowing, or not caring, what it meant?

And you rock, so no worries, I was 99% sure you were yanking my chain in a good natured way ;)

Me r0xx0r! :D But it seems that the term is offensive in some parts of Asia but not in others....oh well.

rhubarbarin
December 10th, 2008, 07:15 PM
All buns look awful on my hair, LOL.

ETA: Except loose, messy, curly ones.

AprilElf
December 11th, 2008, 05:06 AM
I have to say, this thread title gets the prize today for making me chuckle! :D I love it!

I'm guessing it might be a length issue for you Curlsgirl, but it's hard to say without seeing a picture.
I much prefer braided Chinese buns to the unbraided kind. I like the look of them more, and the ends need less pinning (usually none for me, in fact).