PDA

View Full Version : Ponytail causing breakage

Peter
December 9th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Hi everyone, I just realized I have some broken hairs at the back of my head that all end at the top of my neck. :( I've never had any breakage before and I think this is from tying a ponytail at the same spot over and over multiple times per day and at night before going to sleep.

What should I do to get my hair out of the way for a short period of time? I've always just put it in a ponytail when doing things like brushing my teeth but I'm reluctant to do that now. I'm going to start braiding it at night but for something short like teeth brushing, a braid seems a bit time-consuming... what are some quick ways I can keep my hair out of the way, just for a few minutes?

Also, how should I treat these hairs? It's quite clear that they aren't regrowth because they're all kinky and bendy instead of a nice wave. I've tried this on my shed hairs, and right at the point where it breaks, it gets kinky just like these hairs. Should I trim them or leave them alone? Is there anything special I should put on them or do?

TIA,
Peter

rapunzhell13
December 9th, 2008, 09:41 PM
A headband or a bandanna. :)

Silver & Gold
December 9th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I keep hair sticks in my bathroom for this purpose. One quick twist, poke in the hairstick to pin the hair in place and I'm good to go.

Peter
December 9th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Both excellent replies, thanks! Now just to figure out how to get a hairstick to hold...

Themyst
December 9th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I use a big hair clip. It's quick and convenient.

Silver & Gold
December 9th, 2008, 10:04 PM
This video is the closest to the method I use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Meh8Swh38

I've also used an adaptation of this method (my hair is shorter so I have to adapt it a bit):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34&feature=related

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Peter
December 9th, 2008, 10:18 PM
This video is the closest to the method I use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Meh8Swh38

I've also used an adaptation of this method (my hair is shorter so I have to adapt it a bit):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34&feature=related

Anyway, I hope this helps.Awesome, they make it look so easy. Is it alright to use a pencil or pen for this?

Loviatar
December 10th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Another thing you could use is a hair glove. It's like a soft 'sock' for the hair and generally fastens with press studs. But personally I use a stretchy cloth headband for bathroom-sink based stuff like teeth cleaning and face washing. I dont have to tie up my length but it keeps it all off my face.

You could probably use a pen or pencil if it was very smooth with no areas on which hair could snag or catch. I would be more inclined to buy a single stick (even a cheap plastic one) and sand it down and varnish it if it was wood. A metal stick would also be great. Or a Linziclip or similar non-damaging version of a claw clip.

HTH.

Darkhorse1
December 10th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Terry ties are also good---or snag free elastics. I tend to opt for a braid, which secures at the very ends, so the damage is easily snipped away if need be. And I love my scrunchies! :)

Anje
December 10th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I've had lots of this breakage in the past, and swore off ponytails for a year because of it, which definitely helped.

I'm another person who always has a stick around to quickly put up my hair, but if sticks are tricky, it might not be the easiest option. How about a ficcare-like clip or a jaw clip with smooth edges? Just twist your hair up in something vaguely resembling a bun, clip it, and then brush your teeth. It has the advantage of not letting hair fall forward when you spit, too, which can happen with a ponytail.

Copasetic
December 10th, 2008, 09:24 AM
if you are using a regular ponytail elastic, you can trying using a giant, soft, 1980s style scrunchie instead. they are way less likely to cause damage.

NebraskaChick84
December 10th, 2008, 11:01 AM
that unfortunately is the very reason why I stopped wearing low ponytails. I only wear them loosely and in a scrunchie. and ONLY if I have no time to do a proper ponytail. I found that the high pony (aka girlie one) doesn't have that problem. I'm sorry you are suffering broken strands that's never fun :(

Islandgrrl
December 10th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I don't wear ponytails at all anymore precisely because of breakage issues.

Instead of a pen or pencil, go buy yourself a set of wood or seamless plastic chopsticks. I've never paid more than $3 for a set of chopsticks and they're a great way to get started using hairsticks.

Good luck!

windblown
December 10th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I have the same trouble with pony tails (high or low). I'm glad to see some suggestions here! Thanks!

Peter
December 10th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Thank you again for all the replies! I'll go get some proper hairsticks sometime and try this out. :D

Shandra
December 10th, 2008, 05:07 PM
If it's just for a short time (brushing teeth) you can do just a few plaits of a braid, it should hold long enough to get the chore done.

I've also been known to use a "bear claw" clip (smooth edged) as a "ponytail holder" temporarily... holds it loosely, but well enough for quick tasks.

Peter
December 10th, 2008, 06:26 PM
If it's just for a short time (brushing teeth) you can do just a few plaits of a braid, it should hold long enough to get the chore done. I should be able to start doing this soon... I can actually only manage a few bumps anyway, but I'm getting better at it very quickly. Probably from doing braids instead of ponytails. Is there any risk associated with this? Like with ponytails I got breakage where I tied it... as long as I vary where I tie the braid, will doing it repeatedly be fine?

I ended up trimming all the broken hairs. There were more than I initially thought, but still not what I would call a lot. Most were at the back, some on the sides. I trimmed each one a bit above where the ends started going all kinky and my hair feels great now. A couple of months ago my hair was a bit frizzy at the back and I think these may have been the cause. It certainly looks better.

Thanks LHC! :D :D :D

Rain76
December 10th, 2008, 06:45 PM
I also have breakage from ponytails, and mine is quite bad, unfortunately.:( I can see it very clearly when a bright light is directly behind my head. Very sad & frustrating. I need to go out & buy some chopsticks or hair sticks right away! I am going to try very hard not to wear my hear in a ponytail anymore.