PDA

View Full Version : Warning - Hair Parties

purplebubba
December 9th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I saw on the news the other day that one of the new things going around is hair parties. This is similar to the purse parties and Tupperware parties. Basically you have some friends over and a stylist comes over too and does everyone's hair.

I just want to give a heads up because there may be some people who get invited to one of these without knowing what is going on. You may think it's just a get together with friends and then suddenly "Knock knock" there's a stylist at the door.

Hopefully no one is put in the spot of being pressured into participating. Just be aware that if you are over at a friends house with other people that a stylist could show up. Be ready with what you want to say.

NebraskaChick84
December 9th, 2008, 07:27 PM
that is outrageous! do they cut hair too? that would make me so mad and upset to be honest. I am so glad I almost never do anything with friends.

akurah
December 9th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Fascinating. It doesn't sound like a bad thing either, so long as everyone present actually wants a cut or style.

purplebubba
December 9th, 2008, 07:31 PM
that is outrageous! do they cut hair too? that would make me so mad and upset to be honest. I am so glad I almost never do anything with friends.

The one on the news had the stylist giving cuts.

Akiko
December 9th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Oh, I hope no one gets pressured to get a cut.

SHELIAANN1969
December 9th, 2008, 08:02 PM
The one on the news had the stylist giving cuts.

You know, that could be illegal. I called the woman who used to trim my hair, she lives 20+ miles away and that is where her salon is. I used to live there, that's how I met her.

I called her at my one year or so mark of no trimming and asked if she could come to my house and I would pay her.

She said it is illegal to cut hair in someones house, it has to be in a salon. She said if she DID come over I could never tell anyone and that she only goes to one mans house because he is disabled.

I am in WV, I don't know the laws in other states concering salons and cutting and I only found out by pure accident.

ETA: I wouln't be mad if it were Rymorg who showed up at the door though, we would be looking on TLHC anyways! :inlove:

spidermom
December 9th, 2008, 08:05 PM
It looks like the desperation level is escalating.

marajade
December 9th, 2008, 11:05 PM
When I read the title to this thread I thought you said "Warning- Hair panties".
:rollin: I'm glad I read through the thread before posting! :disbelief

RedJen
December 9th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I'm getting tired of friendship being used as a marketing angle.

Gumball
December 9th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Haha. I've had hair parties, but it was all good friends and exclusively for fun (i.e. movies, braiding, laughing, tasty food, etc.). I dunno about the kinds of ones where a random stylist shows up. That's a little off to me.

ETA: Of course whenever they happened they were all planned that way. No stylists. No commercial blah blah stuff. Just our group of friends trying stuff out on each other. It's where I get some of my braiding practice in. Maybe I'm also just odd? :shrug: :silly:

Shorty89
December 9th, 2008, 11:28 PM
When I read the title to this thread I thought you said "Warning- Hair panties".
:rollin: I'm glad I read through the thread before posting! :disbelief
That was what I read as well. I thought it would a photo of Dianyla's :rollin:

Dianyla
December 10th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Why, I never! :whistle:

Dianyla
December 10th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Me too. I dump "friends" who repeatedly invite me to various "parties" of this nature. :rolleyes:

Finoriel
December 10th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Oh my :lol: I read "hair panties" and wondered what it might be and why it may be a harmful and dangerous pantie. Dyslexia is always fun :p But I see I´m not alone misreading it.

About commercial-parties... may it be tupper, underwear, makeup or hairstyling panties erm parties.
My friends are my friends, they know when to invite me and when not to invite me. They know me well enough to not risk that, at least they should. :gabigrin: I can be very uncooperative when someone insists to sell me thinks I do not need/want, I bargain and I eat a lot when I´m annoyed.

Oskimosa
December 10th, 2008, 12:38 AM
You know, that could be illegal. I called the woman who used to trim my hair, she lives 20+ miles away and that is where her salon is. I used to live there, that's how I met her.

I called her at my one year or so mark of no trimming and asked if she could come to my house and I would pay her.

She said it is illegal to cut hair in someones house, it has to be in a salon. She said if she DID come over I could never tell anyone and that she only goes to one mans house because he is disabled.

I am in WV, I don't know the laws in other states concering salons and cutting and I only found out by pure accident.

ETA: I wouln't be mad if it were Rymorg who showed up at the door though, we would be looking on TLHC anyways! :inlove:

I doubt it's illegal, but I know that stylists are strictly forbid by their employers from taking business outside of the shop. That's why I accidentally got a past stylist of mine in trouble with her shop. She used to come to my house to trim my hair every couple months. Another stylist also came to do my hair at the country club I was married at. I mean, how can there be a law against cutting someone's hair? I think there'd be quite a few persons here in trouble with the law ;) I think your stylist was exaggerating, although crazier things concerning what goes on in a person's own home have known to be law.

Aditi
December 10th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the warning, i will keep an eye out or rather my hair out of these parties.

Kuchen
December 10th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Ach, I'm sure it's not a sign of a grand conspiracy of people who want to shave our heads. Just a party.

Mind you, if someone invited me to a botox party, that's when I'd turn militant.

Pegasus Marsters
December 10th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Ach, I'm sure it's not a sign of a grand conspiracy of people who want to shave our heads. Just a party.

Mind you, if someone invited me to a botox party, that's when I'd turn militant.

What? You mean you don't want poison injected into your face to keep you from ever forming facial expressions?

Starr
December 10th, 2008, 02:48 AM
What? You mean you don't want poison injected into your face to keep you from ever forming facial expressions?

I don't know about other parts of the world, but don't you know that's a crime to make facial expressions in California if your over 25?:rolleyes:

In fact, that and real breasts are crimes punishable by cruel and unusual plastic surgery. :cheese:

Kuchen
December 10th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Ha! Yeah, and there are people who have been totally paralysed for life by botox parties gone wrong.

Loviatar
December 10th, 2008, 03:41 AM
I'm afraid I'm another one who also read panties and not parties! :lol:

I know it is a pain that people invite other people who might be perfectly happy with their hair to these things, but seriously, I have a question.

An earlier poster said "I hope nobody gets pressured into a cut".

My question is: How hard is it to put your hair up, say firmly "No thank you" or even "NO" if you're feeling blunt, or even just get up and leave the hair-party? It's not like the stylist and your friends are going to hold you down and cut your hair off. Even if a 'helpful' friend organised the party so you could have those 'ageing, one-length, high-schoolish locks blah blah blah' chopped (and yes there are people who would do that, I'm sure) you could still just walk out of the party if you wanted.

florenonite
December 10th, 2008, 04:19 AM
An earlier poster said "I hope nobody gets pressured into a cut".

My question is: How hard is it to put your hair up, say firmly "No thank you" or even "NO" if you're feeling blunt, or even just get up and leave the hair-party? It's not like the stylist and your friends are going to hold you down and cut your hair off. Even if a 'helpful' friend organised the party so you could have those 'ageing, one-length, high-schoolish locks blah blah blah' chopped (and yes there are people who would do that, I'm sure) you could still just walk out of the party if you wanted.

There are people, like me, who don't like offending people they care about, even when said person's behaviour is not in their best interests. There are also people who are very concerned with others' opinions of them, so while they might quite like their hair long, as soon as their 'friends' start telling them they've already got a stylist there to cut off their 'aged' hair, it's difficult to resist.

ETA: ideally, people would stand up for themselves, but we LHCers aren't really the norm with regards to hair attitudes. There are a lot of people who do as they're told with their hair, so they might be pressured into cutting, which would be a shame.

Chanterelle
December 10th, 2008, 04:57 AM
I've never heard of such parties before and I actually think it's pretty cool. I can hardly imagine anyone being forced to cut hair and I guess there should be an option of just having their hair just styled or braided. And of course everyone can say no.

Pegasus Marsters
December 10th, 2008, 05:05 AM
I don't know about other parts of the world, but don't you know that's a crime to make facial expressions in California if your over 25?:rolleyes:

In fact, that and real breasts are crimes punishable by cruel and unusual plastic surgery. :cheese:

Yay! My face is safe for six-and-a-bit more years!

But they're not getting anywhere near my breasts.

SHELIAANN1969
December 10th, 2008, 06:42 AM
No, she's the owner of the shop.

There is also a law that men can't get regular haircuts (ie buzzcut) in salons unless they get a style, we took my husband in and they said unless he gets a style they couldn't cut his hair, he would have to go to a barber shop, not a beauty salon.

Also, the barber shops cannot style hair, they can only cut it, maybe it's some weird WV laws, I am going to look it up, but I don't think she would lie to be, she was the one who told me I didn't need an inch cut off when I was growing out my hair and she microtrimmed me.:cheese:

ETA: I am adding a link I found regarding some rules about whom can perform what services, it's pretty interesting, I didn't find the law about going into someones home but I imagine it's because of sanitary issues and not having a designated area for these services, their disinfectants etc.

http://www.wvdhhr.org/bph/wvbc/consumer.htm

I doubt it's illegal, but I know that stylists are strictly forbid by their employers from taking business outside of the shop. That's why I accidentally got a past stylist of mine in trouble with her shop. She used to come to my house to trim my hair every couple months. Another stylist also came to do my hair at the country club I was married at. I mean, how can there be a law against cutting someone's hair? I think there'd be quite a few persons here in trouble with the law ;) I think your stylist was exaggerating, although crazier things concerning what goes on in a person's own home have known to be law.

justmyself
December 10th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Regarding the legality of cutting hair outside of a salon, a person could actually lose their license for cutting hair outside of a salon. So, it is a legality thing. This was drilled into us in beauty school.

SHELIAANN1969
December 10th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I was just reading the regulations further, I imagine mostly it is for health issues and secondly for IRS/ payment issues etc.

They want to make sure things are hygenic and that the haircuts are "on the books" so to speak.

Regarding the legality of cutting hair outside of a salon, a person could actually lose their license for cutting hair outside of a salon. So, it is a legality thing. This was drilled into us in beauty school.

justmyself
December 10th, 2008, 07:04 AM
I was just reading the regulations further, I imagine mostly it is for health issues and secondly for IRS/ payment issues etc.

They want to make sure things are hygenic and that the haircuts are "on the books" so to speak.

I agree, that probably is the reason. I was really amazed by all the measures put into place to protect the clients.

Loviatar
December 10th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Thank you for the explanation Florenonite. I can understand that, it was well put. I wouldnt be someone like that myself but I can get how other people might.

LaurelSpring
December 10th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Interesting Thread! I live in VA and when I was a hairdresser I use to do people in my neighborhood all of the time. I dont ever remember anyone saying it was illegal. Maybe it is state by state.

I think a hair toy party would be fun (no scissors). It would be great to try out different toys and see which ones work for you and which ones dont and know what size to get. Also, to get tips on braids and updos and hair care.

LHC could start something! It would be a good excuse to be able to buy hairtoys wholesale :eyebrows:

Xandergrammy
December 10th, 2008, 07:44 AM

:rollin: Poor Dianyla! :gabigrin:

burns_erin
December 10th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Hmm, I wonder if it is legal in Texas? I know it happens all the time.

And I would not mind going to a hair party myself, in fact family and friends have been known to have informal ones. But I am rather firm and don't mind telling people where to stick it so to speak.

mira-chan
December 10th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Same. :p
Dyslexia makes things fun.

I don't think NY has the "must be in a salon" law.

wintersun99
December 10th, 2008, 08:43 AM

Alun
December 10th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Hair styling is regulated at the state level in the US. I'm not sure that you need any licence for it in the UK. OTOH, the 'City & Guilds' run trade courses in hair styling that I think are harder than getting a state licence, but it isn't a licence. One of DW's friends was a hair stylist back home in the UK but has never been able to qualify in the US.

As for the 'hair panties', that sounds something like a hair shirt that used to be worn as a penance for sin, only far more uncomfortable. I wonder what you would be atoning for to wear hair panties?

RavennaNight
December 10th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I would be like :couch:

RavennaNight
December 10th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Note to self: read whole thread. :rollin: hair panties. :laugh:

mooglewoo
December 10th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I don't see what the big issue is here. You're invited to a hair party just like a Pampered Chef party-you know what they're doing ahead of time! So you tell your friend when they hand you the invite, thanks for the invite but I don't attend parties like these. If that person is really your friend, they will understand. And it doesn't sound like products are being sold-it sounds like it's a bunch of people getting together to have things done to their hair for cheap. I wouldn't trust some random joe walking through the door with my precious head of hair, but lots of people out there would, and if they are willing to pay that person for a cut/style, that is their perogative, who am I to judge?

I'm just wondering how one would "accidently" show up to a hair party. Have you ever "accidently" shown up to a Tupperware or PartyLite Party? How about a Passion Party?
This is no different. Though like gumball, I'm saying it's much more fun to eat snacks and braid eachother's hair that sit around and watch everyone's hair get cut LOLZ Sounds about as fun as watching moss grow!

ETA: My friend has her cosmotology license and she cuts my hair in her house. Then again I've known her for a few years and we hang out on a regular basis so our relationship isn't just "stylist to client". I wonder if that makes a difference?

Beldaran
December 10th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I'm finding it difficult to see how this could work with out warning your friends.

How many people go to hang with friends and don't do something with their hair first? (Yes, probably a few of us, but I'm talking the population at large).

Also, my sister is involved in a home-based business (not hair styling) and she would NEVER spring a party on people. She obviously only wants to invite people who are interested in the product line, and she also needs to remind them to bring their checkbook! Not many people these days bother carrying their checkbook, and not many home-based businesses can take credit cards.

So while I have no problem believing such parties exist, I fail to see how or why they'd be in the form of a surprise.

ETA: Darnit! Mooglewoo types faster than I do!

mooglewoo
December 10th, 2008, 09:11 AM
So while I have no problem believing such parties exist, I fail to see how or why they'd be in the form of a surprise.

Yes, that's what I meant to say, I just spent an entire paragraph trying to say it LOLZ

Tapioca
December 10th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Ooh, I'd be all in favor of a hair-friendly party. We could do S&D's on each other, teach each other new updos and braids, try out new hairtoys before buying them (a major problem of mine. It looks so pretty online, but how do I know if it will hold well?)...
We could even do treatments to each other. Henna, cassia, SMT...bring whatever you want to go on your head. And then we sit and watch movies and eat popcorn with plastic wrap on our heads.

joyfulmom4
December 10th, 2008, 09:13 AM

I completely agree. I refuse to attend any of those sales parties. I hate the pressure to buy overpriced products I would not otherwise buy. I think the hair party sounds like another similar tactic.

For those who may not be familiar with this sort of sales party (can't imagine who isn't by now, but just in case someone has been spared) it's a multilevel marketing scheme where a salesperson hits on their friends and family members to enlist them to throw a "party". They invite people over and the sales person then hawks their stuff (baskets, makeup, jewelry, kitchenware, candles, etc, etc). The "hostess" of the party "wins" special prizes when her guests purchase the items. The more her guests purchase, the more free goodies she gets. And the salesperson makes money off all of the sales.

No thanks.

mooglewoo
December 10th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Ooh, I'd be all in favor of a hair-friendly party. We could do S&D's on each other, teach each other new updos and braids, try out new hairtoys before buying them *snip*
We could even do treatments to each other. Henna, cassia, SMT...bring whatever you want to go on your head. And then we sit and watch movies and eat popcorn with plastic wrap on our heads.

That sounds like the most fun ever IMHO LOLZ

boomygrrl
December 10th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I hate "sales parties." I've been to 3 of them due to being very very good friends with the person who asked me to go. I've turned down many more.
I refused to buy at the last "sales party." My husband was disappointed in me for not buying something, as it was a mutual friend of ours that threw the party. I knew what I was getting myself into, but once I really looked at what there was to offer, I kept thinking of better things to do with my money.

A "Hair Party" would anger me to no end if I wasn't informed ahead of time what was going to happen. My friends are pretty good about telling me. It's rare to find a stylist that knows what to do with curly hair. They usually butcher it and torture it...and cut it into god-awful layers that make my hair puffier for months...until it can grow out. I finally found someone who knows how to trim and style curly hair. It took decades to find that person...I would refuse to let some styler at someone's house ruin what I'm trying to accomplish with my hair.

I would really have to just leave. I'm not a rude person, but that is better than the alternative.

Nightshade
December 10th, 2008, 09:27 AM

Exactly this, and what Beldaran and mooglewoo said. Really, you'd most likely get a head's up on it, and if anyone here had a "friend" who suggested cutting your hair at a party, well, what sort of friend is that anyway. Apparently they don't know any of the longhairs here that well.

Some women find these sorts of parties fun. I don't. Some women love changing up their hair. I don't. No biggie there. I don't think we need to break out the tinfoil hats just yet, folks.

A simple, "No thanks" or, "Sure! Can you braid it for me!" and not let them trim it would be fine, even in the worst-case someone springs a hair party on your scenario.

It's like the psychos in the mall sellint the flat irons and curling irons- they cannot MAKE you do anything. They cannot. Guilt, peer pressure, yeah, it's there, but the final call is still yours.

Spines for everyone!

Gladtobemom
December 10th, 2008, 09:45 AM
If I decided to give a hair party . . . I think it would be a hair treat party. Everybody would get a hair toy and maybe we'd learn about Henna, or make our own hair butter together, or some such.

I think girl parties where there's a joint project could be fun. I gave a perfume party once, I paid a lady to come and teach us about EOs and Fragrance oils and stuff. We each got to mix a perfume for ourselves. It was really fun, but nobody was asked to part with any cash.

I gave an origami party once, where we all learned some origami from a lady that taught it at a craft store. I paid her for the evening, I provided the supplies, noone was asked to buy anything. I just thought it would be fun to learn to make Origami ornaments together.

I went to a "Colors" party once in California. There was an expert that did everyone's colors and we each got a little book of colors that are good for us. But we weren't asked to buy anything. He hostess paid her for the evening. I remember it was a wine/cheese/chocolate party. That was actually fun too.

I've heard of the "botox" party thing . . .that's just scary. I've also heard of Mani-Pedi parties, where manicurists are hired and everyone gets their hands and feet done.

I would NOT give a party where you get trapped into a sales pitch. I HATE those. I always feel pressured into buying something I don't want or need. If I want Tupperware . . . I'll buy tupperware, same goes for haircuts, makeup, and medical procedures.

Paniscus
December 10th, 2008, 10:06 AM
SNIP
I'm just wondering how one would "accidently" show up to a hair party. Have you ever "accidently" shown up to a Tupperware or PartyLite Party?

Depends, I was invited to a party once, for ummm... how should I say this, adult toys? Anyway, I ended up not going, but I found out later that the person throwing this party had invited a couple of *friends* that she assumed needed some entertainment in their lives. They had no idea what kind of party it would be, and would not have gone had they known. One girl laughed it off, the other was ticked.

I suspect, that if someone with long hair had some *friends* that thought they should "do something with their hair," they could end up at the party not knowing exactly all the details.

mooglewoo
December 10th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Paniscus, yes, the Passion Party I also mentioned.

If someone is willing to invite you to something without giving you the details, then what kind of friend are they? LOLZ Not one I would want to have.

ETA: and if that happens, we should all take Nightshade's advice and grow a spine! *wink wink*

Gumball
December 10th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Ooh, I'd be all in favor of a hair-friendly party. We could do S&D's on each other, teach each other new updos and braids, try out new hairtoys before buying them (a major problem of mine. It looks so pretty online, but how do I know if it will hold well?)...

They're a lot of fun. :) I think I've made a friend a future stick convert when she gets into the phase when she'll grow her hair out longer again. We've just never done treatments and the like nor used many hairtoys since I'm pretty lacking in them. Haha.

GlennaGirl
December 10th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I've never heard of such parties before and I actually think it's pretty cool. I can hardly imagine anyone being forced to cut hair and I guess there should be an option of just having their hair just styled or braided. And of course everyone can say no.

I would think it was cool if everyone knew about it first. But it sounds like the original Amway angle. "I want to tell you allllllll about this great product!" and out comes a brochure...when the person originally just invited you out for coffee.

People do tend to buy more under these circumstances for whatever psychological reasons...so I can see being more easily coerced into razored ends that way too. :mad: I mean these people tend to put on pressure.

Did you ever go to an Amway or Partylights "party" where the "hostess," your friend, also invited "her business partner," someone one leg up from her (who also got money for getting her in on it and was simply using her to bump herself up the ladder)? Or a makeup "party"? "Oh just try it, try it try it try it EVERYONE ELSE IS IT'S JUST FOR FUN TRY IT TRY IT!" At that point, to say "no" involves saying it very loudly, frowning, standing up and maybe walking out...in front of all these other people, some of whom you have to face the next day at work or whatever.

It's not as easy to say "no" as you might think at such "parties," all of which are specifically designed not to let you say no without risking self-humiliation.

My estranged aunt and uncle staged a "reunion" with my mother and stepfather in the 1980s...my mom and stepfather cooked a huge dinner...welcomed them with open arms...tears...etc...and the aunt and uncle whipped out the Amway brochure. Oh...my...God. My parents never spoke to them again. It also happened to me at work...my very best friend at work asked me to "come over" and "help" her "review" her business. Yes, it was just me on center stage with my friend and three other reps...ALL staring at me and asking me questions one after the other...this killed our relationship.

Sorry for the ramble.

Gothic Lolita
December 10th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I've seen a TV report on this a couple of weeks ago, but didn't think it was allowed to be posted because of this make-over thing (and many people being scared of these scenarios).

I was really angry when I saw this. ok, the girl looked quite nice afterwards, but what outraged me was, that the stylist hurriend them into a desicion by giving them alcohol "to get them in a good mood" and also suggested what she thought would look nice. If I want to hear the opinion of someone, okay, but I want to say what I want to be done first. After that a stylist can tell me if it's manageable. I am the customer!

Buddaphlyy
December 10th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Unless you were invited to " a get together with a few friends", I really don't see how one could not know it was a hair party. And even if it was a surprise, you are your own person, you can say no or walk out at any time you please.

I think it would be fun though, at least for me. I would probably grill the stylist about techniques and products and then go home and do them on myself.

NiAosSi
December 10th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I think I would be the one walking around with scissors. And, it won't be cutting hair, that's for sure!

Gladtobemom
December 10th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Amway :justy:

There for a while, it seemed like every time we'd get invited for dinner, the Amway spiel would come out with the entree. You're trapped, you've already had appetizers and drinks, so you feel that you just have to stick around.

Oddly, I LIKE their laundry detergent and their shoe shine stuff, I even like their dishwasher detergent. But I had to find an Amway person that wouldn't try to "convert" me every time I ordered some Koolwash.

MountainGypsy
December 10th, 2008, 01:47 PM

I completely agree :rolleyes:

CaityBear
December 10th, 2008, 02:44 PM
The only kind of hair party I would go to is if it was just my friends getting together and doing each other's hair. I've done my friends hair for them sometimes when they want me to just play around. And my boyfriend's cousin has done my hair a couple times before (she does amazing hair; her sister has gorgeous hip length straight hair so she gets lots of practice).

Whenever I watch shows like What Not To Wear on TLC and how they always tend to cut hair really short, it makes me mad. lol There have been a few people who had really long hair and they were all cut around shoulder length. Now if it were me, I would absolutely refuse to let them touch my hair.

Kleis
December 10th, 2008, 03:11 PM
It wouldn't even be in my reality to feel pressured by "friends" (or even friends) to cut my hair at a hair party. It's just not an option, period. If they asked, I'd think they didn't know me very well, but that's okay. I'd decline, offer to take pictures or tell funny stories while being part of the fun.

If there was pressure, I'd laugh my @$$ off, tell them they really didn't know me, and depart with my eyebrows raised.

I don't think the peer pressure exists that'd make me feel like I should cut my hair. I really don't.

NiAosSi
December 10th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I don't think the peer pressure exists that'd make me feel like I should cut my hair. I really don't.

Definitely. I don't think anyone can influence me to cut my hair. Actually, I don't think I've ever been easily influenced.

Nightshade
December 10th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Definitely. I don't think anyone can influence me to cut my hair. Actually, I don't think I've ever been easily influenced.

:lol: I third this sentiment.

Anyone that knows me well enough to invite me to one of these things would know that no cutting/heat/etc would be involved. Hell, if they know me at all, they know I hate these things and probably wouldn't show up anyway :lol:

purplebubba
December 10th, 2008, 03:58 PM
This thread is meant to let you all know that these parties do exist. Now maybe it was only the one on the news or maybe there's been hundreds? But they do exist.

I am simply stating that they exist and if you have friends that would try to ambush you into inviting you over to a get together and not tell you a stylist was coming to do hair then you should prepare yourself ahead of time the best you can. Have some words to say.

Grow a spine is good. But it's easier to grow that spine if you know ahead of time that you may be in the situation. Just like if you know where the curling iron kiosk is in the mall you can plan what to say if you are going past it. Just like we all plan what to say when we go for a trim. Or plan what to say to coworkers or family. Or what to say when getting the donation suggestion.

All I'm saying is be prepared. This could happen.

Kleis
December 10th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Well, if you waver in wanting long hair, I could see needing to be prepped. Or if you simply cannot say "no" to people. But for many of us? We'd need ...oh, two seconds of preparation. If I were ambushed right this second, my answer would be the same.

"Nope, not interested." *smile*

I don't think it's honestly something to be too concerned about. I put it up there with one of my friends trying to sell me a cell phone plan every time we chat. Annoying, but the only way it will affect my life is if I give her permission to do something I don't want to do. And that isn't going to happen.

Still, it's an interesting topic. I didn't know it was becoming all the rage. I guess everyone's getting tired of tupperware, huh?

Ohio Sky
December 10th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Hey the cool thing around here lately is having.... umm... toy parties.... and I can only imagine the kind of shenanigans going on there. I would feel much less awkward politely refusing while watching other people have their hair cut. :lol:

yogachic
December 10th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Oh Hair Parties. At first glance I read this as *gulp* hairy panties. :S
I've never heard of hair parties. Sounds fun if its a hair party among friends.

Paniscus
December 10th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Paniscus, yes, the Passion Party I also mentioned.

If someone is willing to invite you to something without giving you the details, then what kind of friend are they? LOLZ Not one I would want to have.

ETA: and if that happens, we should all take Nightshade's advice and grow a spine! *wink wink*

Oh I agree wholeheartedly. That's why I never feel sorry for those people on those make-over shows, peer pressure aside, if I don't want to cut my hair I'm NOT going to do it! I don't think anyone can *make* you cut your hair or take drugs or anything. If you're waffling though, about your hair or decision, then yeah, guess you could be talked into something that you may regret later. Otherwise, no, I don't buy into peer pressure at all... at least for me. Guess I don't have a problem saying no :D

I appreciate Purplebubba starting this thread though,just to give us a head's up. I, for one, was not aware that these types of hair parties exist, and I do have friends that would LOVE to corner me in front of a bunch of people and try to talk me into styling my bland hair. :rolleyes: I may say no, but it would still be frustrating to be caught off guard. I hate surprise parties as well. <<<<scrooge

Indigo Girl
December 10th, 2008, 09:08 PM

I completely agree.

Me too. I dump "friends" who repeatedly invite me to various "parties" of this nature. :rolleyes:

Ditto. I have low tolerance for this. :rolleyes:

Have you ever "accidently" shown up to a Tupperware or PartyLite Party? How about a Passion Party?

I have - twice. The first time I was invited to a "Slumber Party" - and yes, I was honestly expecting pajamas, sleeping bags, and popcorn. :shrug:

The second time I was invited to a "Summer Passion Party" - again, I was expecting Malibum Rum drinks with pink umbrellas and platters of fresh tropical fruit.

I have absolutely no problem saying no at these "events", I just don't care for them at all.

lynnala
December 10th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Note to self: read whole thread. :rollin: hair panties. :laugh:Don't we all wear hair panties naturally?:o

Beloved
December 10th, 2008, 09:29 PM
LOL. I would have no trouble saying "no" to someone who wanted to cut my hair. The last stylist to cut off too much changed me forever. :boxer:

I did once go to a Mary Kay party. I thought we would be asked to buy some products, which is fine because I love makeups and bath stuff, but it was actually a 5-hour sales pitch on becoming MK Sales Associates. Um, no thanks!

Beloved
December 10th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Now a BRAIDING party would be fun. I would love to have some of the pretty braids done that I see people sporting around here.

Beloved
December 10th, 2008, 09:39 PM
My estranged aunt and uncle staged a "reunion" with my mother and stepfather in the 1980s...my mom and stepfather cooked a huge dinner...welcomed them with open arms...tears...etc...and the aunt and uncle whipped out the Amway brochure. Oh...my...God.

:agape:Okay, that is totally pathological.

jesamyn
December 11th, 2008, 12:18 AM
I've seen this topic 5 times now, and I'm still reading the title as 'Hair Panties' even after reading the thread a few times. It catches me off guard each time. Oy!

I too am not fond of commercial parties. My friends know better. :)

Angellen
December 11th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Now a BRAIDING party would be fun. I would love to have some of the pretty braids done that I see people sporting around here.

That would be a great party, and make for some amazing pictures and memories. I'm sure for people not as attached to their hair as we are, these styling parties are fun like that. But wow, that sounds awesome.

My dad said he saw a braiding shop in our neighborhood (don't I have thoughtful parents?), so maybe I'll check it out when I go visit for the holidays. :)

Snowymoon
December 11th, 2008, 07:02 AM
My mother is permanently and severely handicapped. My sister and I grew up in poverty as a result. My mother's family are wealthy and live in another state. You guessed it right if you guessed we don't see much of them. :rolleyes:

Anyway, my sister graduated from high school and hosted her own graduation "open house" all on her own since our father had left years earlier leaving us kids completely stranded with a totally handicapped mother (boy, were we HUNGRY!). An uncle, my mother's brother, and his wife showed up from out of state that we had not seen or heard from in years. When I first saw him, there was no "how are you" at or anything of the like. He immediately handed me a business card and began to tell me why I should buy long distance service from my mother (this man used to also sell Amway at one point and really had no reason to as he owned (s?) a very, very successful construction business). He seriously had come all that way to sign her up under him on some pyramidal long-distance phone scheme thing he was playing in. My mother cannot even SPEAK clearly (severe speech impediment) and cannot walk. She is wheelchair bound and house bound. How is SHE going to sell long distance service? Ooooh, I was steaming mad about it. Not only have they always neglected her, they clearly also took full advantage of her when they saw fit. That is ALL he wanted to talk about when he was there. He had no interest in us or how we were doing, if we had enough FOOD to eat, etc. My sister and her graduation achievement got ignored. :( He stayed long enough to pitch his sales agenda, and then he was GONE.

:no: It is sad, really. Mostly it is sad because my mother either does not understand/comprehend how awful and terrible her family behaves or cannot accept it. She is yanked around by them so easily, and I have to listen to her wax on about how "wonderful" they all are. :( Riiiigggggghhhtttt. :rolleyes:

Needless to say, I don't think much of these types of programs or the people who push them. IMO, there is something deeply wrong with hijacking people's personal lives, friends, and family and seeing them as a way to a profit.

SHELIAANN1969
December 11th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Snowymoon, that is terrible, I hope you gave him a big piece of your mind, that is beyond uncaring. :grouphug:

willowcandra
December 11th, 2008, 07:25 AM
We have manicure parties sometimes here and noone is forced to have a manicure you can have just a hand massage or nothing. I went to one a week ago it was heaven. so I can't see why one would be forced to get a chop.
(the manicures were paid for by the host not guests though. We did get given a price leaflet for the company but no sales pitch. I hate sales parties especially anne summers.)

I think for those who believe in salon cutting it's a great idea for a party! particularly for busy people with no time for pampering. It doesn't sound at all to me like a haircut ambush lol. If people got pushy I would just leave the party lol. or use it as an excuse to show my friends some new updos.

Snowymoon
December 11th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Snowymoon, that is terrible, I hope you gave him a big piece of your mind, that is beyond uncaring. :grouphug:

Yes, but par for the normal course in my life. :rolleyes: I was too young and too in shock at the time. They don't dare contact me now, though. :twisted: ;)

willowcandra
December 11th, 2008, 07:30 AM
This thread is meant to let you all know that these parties do exist. Now maybe it was only the one on the news or maybe there's been hundreds? But they do exist.

I am simply stating that they exist and if you have friends that would try to ambush you into inviting you over to a get together and not tell you a stylist was coming to do hair then you should prepare yourself ahead of time the best you can. Have some words to say.

Grow a spine is good. But it's easier to grow that spine if you know ahead of time that you may be in the situation. Just like if you know where the curling iron kiosk is in the mall you can plan what to say if you are going past it. Just like we all plan what to say when we go for a trim. Or plan what to say to coworkers or family. Or what to say when getting the donation suggestion.

All I'm saying is be prepared. This could happen.

Thankyou Pbubba it is always good to not be caught off guard if one has friends who are anti long hair.

RedJen
December 11th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Needless to say, I don't think much of these types of programs or the people who push them. IMO, there is something deeply wrong with hijacking people's personal lives, friends, and family and seeing them as a way to a profit.

That's exactly why I hate those programs, even if they have items I like. It has NOTHING to do with being "unable" to say no.

Carolyn
December 11th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I usually find myself "busy" on those times when I invited to home parties. So often I have bought something just to be polite. Nothing I needed or wanted. I've used and very annoyed.

I can see how hair parties might be fun for women who get their hair "done" on a regular basis and go for the trendy cuts and use a ton of products. I can't see how one of these parties could be hair friendly so us serious long hair people.I seriously doubt they'd be doing french braids and cute buns. The vast majority of stylists don't have the slightest clue about long hair. All they know to do is chop it off and get "creative" with it. I have 2 thoughts on the reason for inviting a long haired person to such a party. One would be that oh my gosh she has a lot of hair, I'm sure she'd love to have a stylist "do" something with it. This would not be mean spirited in intention, just ignorant of long hair. The other would be oh her hair is so long and outdated. Let's get her to come to a party and she'll "have" to do something with it. This would be mean spirited and manipulative. Most of us know that most people don't have a clue about long hair and really don't care about it and have no idea what it can mean to some of us. That's the dreaded "it's JUST hair" mindset. If anyone who has read this thread, maybe it should be a reminder if we receive an invitation to a home party, to find out what's being sold before attending.

naomimcc
December 11th, 2008, 06:50 PM
That sounds like the most fun ever IMHO LOLZ

Totally. Count me in!!!:D

As for the hair parties...I would love to go just to have the opportunity to educate people on hair care :D

rapunzhell13
December 11th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't mind a scalp massage party! :D

jesamyn
December 11th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Ooooh, I could so go for that!

naomimcc
December 11th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Don't we all wear hair panties naturally?:o

:spitting:
:lol:

Drynwhyl