PDA

View Full Version : Sellers of straighteners/curlers- yup they sure are getting desperate

Dreamernz
December 9th, 2008, 03:08 PM
After seeing lora410's thread on having a desperate stylist force her business card on her, I recalled what happened to me the other week when I went to the shopping centre these people were selling heating products for straightening and curling, "steaming" the hair APPARENTLY "non-harmful". I was forced into the chair, with the guy going on, saying you have such beautiful hair this'll only take a minute blabla. I told him that my mum was a hairdresser and that I knew a thing or two about hair products (with my mum later agreeing it was a load of rubbish), I was more than just a bit annoyed with him who I assume was getting the picture in only doing one curl. I do understand that he was a nice guy just trying to do his job, and it was cool that you could touch the curler without burning yourself but still....no means no.....I thought i'd let out that rant because im sure you all understand what I mean in that cornered moment of panic and annoyance (they really are getting desperate these days)

GlennaGirl
December 9th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Hi! I stated this on that other thread too...non-necessary purchases are involving harder and harder sales in recent months as the economy has dipped. These types of sales were down as it was for the past few years, but this year, particularly this "holiday shopping season," retailers are definitely scared.

People are keeping their wallets tighter than before and the first purchases to go are so-termed "vanity" purchases.

Islandgrrl
December 9th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Ah, but it's not just sellers of straighteners/curlers. We braved the mall over on the mainland last week, and a woman approached me and asked me about the dark circles under my eyes (which really and truly are there) and what I did to get rid of them (absolutely nothing). She asked me if I'd let her try something. Since I had time (DH was going into a store to look at the Wii stuff we've been eyeing), I said okay and sat down in her chair. She proceeded to tell me about all the unique benefits of the gel-looking stuff she was putting around my eyes and said that there was, of course, a special going on at the moment. Buy one bottle of the serum, and get a jar of eye nourishing cream free. All for the incredibly low price of $175. I about fell out of the chair. Told her that I couldn't justify spending $175 on eye cream. And then she started the hard sell: "Well, then, what CAN you afford? Wouldn't it be worth it to see those dark circles gone, and no puffiness?" OMG. I couldn't get away fast enough!!!

And my eyes were still puffy and had dark circles later when we got home. Pffffft!

Dreamernz
December 9th, 2008, 03:30 PM

And my eyes were still puffy and had dark circles later when we got home. Pffffft!
-LOL Jokz!!! :D

Euphony
December 9th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Ah, but it's not just sellers of straighteners/curlers. We braved the mall over on the mainland last week, and a woman approached me and asked me about the dark circles under my eyes (which really and truly are there) and what I did to get rid of them (absolutely nothing). She asked me if I'd let her try something. Since I had time (DH was going into a store to look at the Wii stuff we've been eyeing), I said okay and sat down in her chair. She proceeded to tell me about all the unique benefits of the gel-looking stuff she was putting around my eyes and said that there was, of course, a special going on at the moment. Buy one bottle of the serum, and get a jar of eye nourishing cream free. All for the incredibly low price of $175. I about fell out of the chair. Told her that I couldn't justify spending $175 on eye cream. And then she started the hard sell: "Well, then, what CAN you afford? Wouldn't it be worth it to see those dark circles gone, and no puffiness?" OMG. I couldn't get away fast enough!!!

Ugh I hate the mall! This guy was manning his kiosk with soaps and creams etc. He looked at me and said, "can I have a moment of your time?" I sternly said NO, he said "why" I said "because I make my own" - he looked dumbfounded and didn't say anything else. hahaha he's probably never had a person say that one to him!

spidermom
December 9th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Just try and catch me, desperate mall sales people. Panhandling bums have tried and failed.

Sissy
December 9th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Just try and catch me, desperate mall sales people. Panhandling bums have tried and failed.

LOL, that's too funny :lol:

florenonite
December 9th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I've not been to a shopping centre recently, though may be going to the city this weekend to buy gifts for my sisters (I might just go to the shops downtown. We have a couple bookshops, my sisters like books). My friends and I, however, have decided to go to boxing day sales this year, as we haven't seen each other in months and we like sales. Hopefully we won't be approached by crazy salespeople in the mall in my town, because I can get jumpy when people I don't know approach me (I'm odd in that I'm really physically close and open with my friends, but terrified of people I don't know), and I'd feel bad if I punched one of them, as I know they're just trying to make a living.

Dolly
December 10th, 2008, 05:21 AM
I don't go to a mall unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. If and only if it is something that I can't get online. I would rather pay the charge for shipping (unless it is outrageous) than fight the traffic and the crowds.....

I find that the costs actually equal out.....I pay shipping, but most mail-order companies don't charge sales tax (and here the tax is 9%).....and, I don't burn gas.......or get a headache.....

mellie
December 10th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Wow, I haven't been to a mall in a long time. Sounds like things have sure changed! It sounds like a medieval bazaar now with snake oil sellers and monkey-grinders! :-)

lora410
December 10th, 2008, 06:29 AM
I think LHC is putting all these stylist out of business because we all do natural haircare and don't need them. See, LHC is really taking over the world :twisted: :rollin:

lora410
December 10th, 2008, 06:32 AM

Well, of course they weren't dear. Don't you know it takes up to 2 months to see results? Or so it is with every other beauty product that will never work but manages to get us to buy it on that belief..pfht

Islandgrrl
December 10th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Well, of course they weren't dear. Don't you know it takes up to 2 months to see results? Or so it is with every other beauty product that will never work but manages to get us to buy it on that belief..pfht

Silly me! :silly:

melrose1985
December 10th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Last week i was at the mall with my mom. We both have short hair cuts that can use a straightener to do that bob style. Well i haven’t been using it because I’m try to grow, so I’m sure my hair looked a little undone. But this guy is like "lady let me try the hair straightner on you." and we both said no thank you and he replies with "i can make it look so much better!" so turn around really fast and looked at him and said 'thanks but my hair looks just fine with out your hair straightener!!"

The nerve to tell me my hair looked like junk and he could fix it!

Siava
December 10th, 2008, 07:40 AM
I avoid eye contact and pretend I'm deaf.

Nightshade
December 10th, 2008, 08:04 AM

:lol: No kidding. I WISH one of these asshats would try such a thing on me. They'd get a terrifying 115lbs of HennaRed Fury! RAWR!

No, honestly, I'd love to put one of these people in their place in a sweetly scathing manner. Perhaps a nice long look up at their hair and then say, "If it's going to make my hair look like that, I think I'll have to pass."

I get that these people are trying to make a living, but there's no need to be an aggressive ass about the whole affair.

wintersun99
December 10th, 2008, 08:36 AM

Ha! I was just thinking the same thing. When you face with aggressive panhandlers daily, anyone else seems like nothing. I never get forced into anything like that, anymore and I don't worry about being rude (I'm not rude, I say no and keep walking) but I don't worry about smiling, acting friendly, etc. Pressures like sales just don't get to me and I can thank the panhandlers of downtown Portland, for those lessons... :D

burns_erin
December 10th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Maybe I am evil, but unless it is something that will burn my hair, I tend to enjoy letting them pitch their wares. It is usually fun, I get to try new things, and then if they try the really hard sell, i start scratching/rubbing fit to kill, especially on my face. Since I have mild rosacea this gives me a nice flaming effect that has them abjectly apologizing.

I very rarely buy, but when I do, I haggle, I love haggling and at the mall the kiosk vendors can in a way that the department stores can't.

VanillaTresses
December 10th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Kiosks, for me, means "walk faster and don't make eye contact." So far, it has worked pretty well, body language speaks volumes.

mommy101405
December 10th, 2008, 12:33 PM
The one at the mall near me is selling some nail stuff. Its so annoying. They walk right out in front of you to stop you. I've told them off on more than one occasion. I have complained to the mall but apparently it hasn't done any good.

lapushka
December 10th, 2008, 12:55 PM
(...) and he replies with "i can make it look so much better!" so turn around really fast and looked at him and said 'thanks but my hair looks just fine with out your hair straightener!!"

The nerve to tell me my hair looked like junk and he could fix it!

The nerve of saying someone's hair looks crap just to sell something, talk about bad sales tactics. I'd throw it right back in his face too.

melrose1985
December 10th, 2008, 02:14 PM
The nerve of saying someone's hair looks crap just to sell something, talk about bad sales tactics. I'd throw it right back in his face too.

I know, do they really think they will get sales like that... does he think because he said my hair looked like crap that i'm going to crawl over to him so he can use that on my head- after he has already used it on how many other heads?

NeilTheFuzz
December 10th, 2008, 02:33 PM
God I hate pushy sales people. If it were me I would probably told to fork off.

tigerlily83
December 11th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Don't I know it, and unfortunately I work in the mall. :rolleyes: Technically I work in a restaurant attached to the food court in the mall, but still.

I was doing some shopping after work, and the store that I go to, unfortunately is right next to the flat iron kiosk. The girl that works at the kiosk was a customer of mine....and once she saw me I swear she grabbed me and plopped me on to her little salon chair. What was scary was that my hair was still damp from having it up in a bun all day, and she was using it on my hair....the horror!!!:bigeyes:

I tried to get away, honestly....told her I had things to do but still, she kept straightening my hair. I do admit it looked nice, but I know those still damage your hair.

After she was done she tried her hardest to sell me one for over $100!!! I told her I didn't have that kind of money and left.

I still get harassed by those people at that kiosk...but like VanillaTresses said, body language goes a long way, and I walk quickly as I can past it.

It's just as bad w/ the Proactiv solution people or the cell phone kiosk people.