PDA

View Full Version : Massive color gradient despite not dyeing?

tsc
December 9th, 2008, 03:03 PM
What the heck! I was bored so I went outside and took some hair pics, and realized.... I have very dark roots, but I haven't dyed my hair for over five years!

I know there's some natural fading that occurs, but to this degree? Especially since I'm not a huge outdoorsy person, or a huge sun person!

Can your hair color just..change so abruptly?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3245/3095753535_156b3da7e5.jpg

Link to larger: http://flickr.com/photos/23139565@N06/3095753535/sizes/o/

GlennaGirl
December 9th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Hmmm...that looks very very natural to me, not at all massive. I do think hair can lighten that much after it's been on your head for a while. :) The roots will eventually be that color too, when they are no longer the roots.

Pretty hair, BTW!

Naomi Kim
December 9th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I see it on children all the time. But I'm not sure other than that, obviously yours has. Has your hair been dark or light?--Historically

tsc
December 9th, 2008, 03:13 PM
My hair has gone from white-blond as a kid to where it is now, so I guess light?

I guess what's kinda freaking me out is that the length doesn't really change colors ( link: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3277/3095770825_e1e192906d.jpg )

Glenna girl: Thank you :D

jojo
December 9th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I think your hair is very pretty and hair does change colour through natural fading and weather. I know my hair is different colours and I do not dye it. x

helen2806
December 9th, 2008, 03:44 PM
before I dyed my hair a bit lighter this summer I always had way darker roots than ends, and I've never been a big sun person because of being so pale. I think I might just be uber-sensitive to sun lightening and maybe other environmental conditions. Anyway, I think a nice mixture looks better than a solid flat colour - my mum always said it looked like I'd paid for expensive highlighting (I took that to be a compliment!)

NebraskaChick84
December 9th, 2008, 03:51 PM
My sister had hair like that as well. dark roots and gradually getting lighter until the tips which were white blond. that was way back when we were tweens though, I think she cut it at about 13 or 14 and has been keeping it short ever since.

my point that yes it looks very natural :)

Deborah
December 9th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I honestly don't see a big color change at all. Your hair color looks perfectly fine.

My dark hair has always looked different the longer it gets. When I wear a bun, the bun shows a lot of red, while the top of my head is much darker, and hardly any red shows. I have never colored my hair, and I have always just considered myself a brunette. I guess I have a strong red cast that shows more as the hair gets longer and slightly lighter. It also show up more in sunlight. I can't say that I like it or don't like it. It's just the way my hair is. :shrug:

Maybe your hair is a little this way, but by your photo I'd say it's very slight.

Euphony
December 9th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Mine used to do that, but to a deeper degree. My natural color is even just a few shades darker than yours. That's part of the reason I started to henna - the tips of my hair was a very nice golden blonde, while the roots were a dusty brown - unfortunately my eyebrows are very dark brown as are my eyes. It looked more unnatural to me than my hennaed hair does.

HairColoredHair
December 9th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Mine did that (prior to me dyeing it), though not as drastically. You can see it in my profile pic.

It was partially a side effect of how I took care of my hair. The roots, which were better cared for, were darker and smoother.

spidermom
December 9th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I see the color change as more a trick of the light. Even in the area that looks darker, there are a few highlights that look the same color as the lighter hair below.

renarok
December 9th, 2008, 09:01 PM
My hair color changes often. I have a naturally dark ash blonde that sometimes turns quite red. I am attributing it to changes in water quality.

My big question for you all is have you ever experienced a change in your grey hair?

I don't mean texture, but less of them? I had some noticeable grey hairs about a year ago..... Now I can hardly find any grey hairs. Very odd.

I told my sister this and she just flat out refused to believe me.

I've never heard of this.

dancingbarefoot
December 9th, 2008, 10:42 PM
The older the hair, the more likely the color will be faded (this seems especially true of blondes and those with light brown hair). The ends of your hair are a lot older than the roots, and so they've had a lot longer to be bleached out by the sun, etc. It's just natural. :shrug:

Katze
December 10th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Sure, why not? My hair ranges from golden blonde to ash brown naturally, with red, silver, auburn, ash blonde, etc. in between. I have a streak at my forehead that's very dark, definitely brown, followed by the silvers coming in, then a blonde patch. My BF also naturally gets platinum streaks in his dark blonde hair when it's been exposed to sun.

I think multicolored hair is so much more interesting than just one color!

LutraLutra
December 10th, 2008, 06:14 AM
I have multi coloured hair too, and my ends are much lighter than my roots. It's quite common I think. BTW Your hair looks really lovely.

lora410
December 10th, 2008, 07:12 AM
My natural color did the same thing. Extremely light on the bottom and very dark on the top.

tsc
December 10th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Thank you guys :)

I'll stop freaking out, I guess it's just the first time I've really noticed it. Indoors, it's all one color!