PDA

View Full Version : french braid!

helen2806
December 9th, 2008, 01:41 PM
ok I know this is pretty pathetic compared to most people's skills but I just managed to do my first full french braid by myself! I usually have to get someone else to do it for me because I'm useless at doing stuff behind my head so I'm pretty proud, and it doesn't look too shabby either...
just wanted to share the joy! :D

WindowDressing
December 9th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Dear helen, is there a photo linky? :)

Gumball
December 9th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I bet it looks great! I don't see a picture so I can't quite slap a comment down blindly (although if there was a picture there would be a compliment flying your way already!). I'm glad you were finally able to do one without help from someone else. Congrats and a big high five to ya!

helen2806
December 9th, 2008, 01:48 PM
thank you! just added a pic to my album, looking at it I think I missed one cross over or something but I'm still happy :)

WindowDressing
December 9th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Sorry, dear helen, I didn't click your album. I think you did GREAT for a first try!! Good Job!!

Hugs!
WD :)

tsc
December 9th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I just figured it out myself, don't feel bad!

My mom only had long hair in the 70's and 80's, so she let it go natural (and HUUUUGE) so she never learned how to do it for me...

For me, my technique got better QUICK the more times I did it!

practikalmagik
December 9th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Well done!!!:cheese: Can't see the pics yet (am still a newbie) but it sounds like you got it down hurrah! Just keep practising!

I mastered it about 3 weeks ago after 22 years of not being able to do it so I know the feeling.

WindowDressing
December 9th, 2008, 03:01 PM
My dear hubby SF is considering growing out his hair again (it was APL when we met). The only pix I still have on here scanned are from when he was just arriving in Basic Training the night before they shave their heads.

Anyway he wants cornrows/frenchbraids whilst he grows it out to tb. Whoa! So I do his and he does mine. It's a deal.

I like the double parted in just off center. Doesn't pull as much.

Hugs!
WD :)

helen2806
December 9th, 2008, 03:36 PM
yay thank you everyone :) I think my next project will be trying to do 2 french braids, I always used to want that style when I was little!

practikalmagik
December 9th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I find a french braid on either side is really versatile, you can wear them seperate like pigtails (which are also comfy to sleep on) or pin them at the back in the centre and leave the rest loose or plait them down the back!

Also they give the best curls if down when damp.

I kinda like plaits.

NebraskaChick84
December 9th, 2008, 03:47 PM
can you post a photo so that *I* can see it? also any tips for self french braiding? I never was able to remember where I was at once I got to the back and end up giving up. I really would LOVE to be able to french braid my own hair though as I think it's lovely and also I don't like it as tight as my mom does it (gives me huge headaches).

anyways so a pic I can see?

practikalmagik
December 9th, 2008, 03:55 PM
http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/french.htm

I used the instructions on the right hand side (the more straightforward ones) and it finally clicked with me how to do it. Hope it might help :)

Random advice:
don't use a mirror, just kinda see it in your head as you move your hands

helen2806
December 9th, 2008, 04:28 PM
http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j177/helen_2806/?action=view&current=frenchplait.jpg

hopefully you can see that version of my pic?

I just practised doing french braids on the front section of my hair, and on my sister, until I understood how they worked, then when I did this one I just did it reeeeeally slowly so I didn't lose track of which strand was in which place (my arms began to ache from being held up lol). I agree with practikalmagik not to use a mirror, it makes left and right much more confusing!

helen2806
December 9th, 2008, 04:29 PM
oh and also make sure your hair is nice and tangle-free before you start because you need to be able to easily make sections

NebraskaChick84
December 9th, 2008, 04:31 PM
thank you yes I could see that photo. It looks great! perhaps my problem is that I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I will look at the instructions and try it after the kids go to bed. I shall of course take a pic and share my results. I love this site! I'm so glad I found it. :D

practikalmagik
December 9th, 2008, 04:32 PM
It's looking pretty good there, I like the more relaxed softer plait then a really tight slick one, looks more feminine but thats just me.

Shows the natural highlights in the hair as well.

helen2806
December 9th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I like the more relaxed softer plait then a really tight slick one, looks more feminine but thats just me.

Shows the natural highlights in the hair as well.

I definitely like it looser, it works better in my hair because I'm growing out layers so they would just tuft out weirdly if it was too tight - and I don't like how I look with my hair really tightly pulled back.

good luck NebraskaChick! my hair has seriously improved since I found this site so I share your gladness :)

GibsonGirlV
December 9th, 2008, 04:55 PM
That's great! Congrats!! You'll be braiding like a pro before long!

DecafJane
December 9th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Well done. :)